[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I want to do some work & travel. I am especially interested

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: working-holiday-visa-NZ.jpg (23KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
working-holiday-visa-NZ.jpg
23KB, 425x282px
So I want to do some work & travel. I am especially interested in New Zealand, as pic implies but I am happy to hear any general experiences or knowledge about that stuff
>>
Mostly familiar with the South Island here, but the two places you'd probably want to look there are Christchurch or Queenstown.

There's tons of work in construction in ChCh, and housing isn't very expensive (relative to New Zealand Standards, not necessarily to where you are from). Queenstown is a little more competitive, but there's always jobs popping up. Most are tourism related, like working in the restaurants or doing sales for an adventure company. It's the type of place though where if you aren't meeting expectations they'll fire you pretty quickly, because their pool is so big. Basically more stability and cheaper in ChCh, but it's not the same experience as living so close to everything in Queenstown.

I also had a friend who works on a farm in Invercargill during the NZ summers. He says the city is kind of shit, but other than that I don't know too much about it
>>
>>1265906
Thanks kind anon,
I heard that Kiwi farms provide some kind of service to students, do you know where I could get more information on that?
>>
>>1265898
The North Island is worth a visit but the South Island is better (cheaper accommodation, more jobs, more things to see).

>>1265906
This is accurate. It's hard to overstate how difficult it is to get accommodation in Queenstown at the moment. Christchurch is much easier and cheaper.
I work in the construction industry in Christchurch and the whole industry is short on staff at the moment. Even if you have no experience you can get a menial job like operating a stop/go paddle (expect to get drug tested for some of these jobs though).

>>1266033
You probably heard about wwoofing (keyword search: WWOOF) which is some hippy thing where you work on organic farms and get food and accommodation in return.
>>
>>1265898
some anon recommended HelpX to me a few days back, it's real good good
>>
>>1265898
The cities and towns were mediocre from my experience, Queenstown being the notable exception. The nature is of course, some of the best in the world. Auckland has a nice airport though and Giapo is the best ice cream parlor in the world, the marina area is nice as well.
>>
>>1265906
Eurofag here.
Don't listen to the bullshit you hear all over NZ that CHCH has alot of work, because of the construction there. I mean, sure there is alot of construction, the whole city is one big construction site, but all the people I met in NZ who even had the carpenter/builder education said it was near impossible to find work in CHCH because all the open positions were filled by everyone who hears the same shit and goes there. You're just as likely to find job anywhere in NZ.

Also I wouldn't advice heading to Queenstown to look for work, unless you're well experienced chef/bartender/hotel receptionist or carpenter, because the competition for jobs there, among the backpackers who all go there is crazy. Also you'll burn through your travel money while staying there in hostels, looking for work because it's super expensive.
And in my personal opinion, I thought Queenstown was a really fucking boring and flashy and disgusting place, scenery is nice sure, but that's nice everywhere in NZ.

Most jobs are on North Island since it has bigger population, I'd start looking for work over there. Maybe in the smaller towns for cheaper accomodation, such as Palmerston North, Napier/Hastings, Hamilton, Tauranga, Roturua, Taupo.
>>
>I thought Queenstown was a really fucking boring and flashy and disgusting place, scenery is nice sure, but that's nice everywhere in NZ.

as someone from NZ, this is pretty true
one of the few places you can walk the streets and not hear a single kiwi accent. It is a nice place to visit, and looks nice, but is slightly soulless from the tourism

if you're looking for new zealand new zealand, then queenstown isnt it

work wise, you'll probably find the easiest work on a farm, fruit picking, or something similar, if you get the seasons right.

It rains a lot on the west coast of the south island, and the people can be a little strange lol. Most people live in the north island, and you're more likely to see Maori attractions and people.
>>
I am familiar with both islands I have done it last year . I suggest you to stay and find a job in auckland make some money live the kiwi and enjoy the most incredible ice cream in the world (giapo) and after 6 months or so go and travel around the country. The other cities like Queenstown or wellington can be experienced in 2-3 days imho.
>>
I can't fully vouch for the info that's been written here so far but it seems pretty legit. I'll just give you my view.

Last year I was debating whether to go to NZ or Australia for a work holiday and ended up traveling through NZ and then working in Oz. I really loved NZ because the scenery is amazing (I'm actually going back next year for a couple of weeks) but I found that that I don't think I would enjoy living there. The climate is quite dreary and the cities look very sad. The whole country is underdeveloped as you'd expect from a place at the end of the world with a small population. I've now lived in Vancouver and Melbourne and it will definitely be tough to find cities that compare to these two but none of the ones in New Zealand came even close, including Auckland which is supposedly one of the best to live in across the whole world. My decision to go to Australia was a good one in the end, I loved my time there, although it ended on a bit of a sour note. I'm not sure exactly about the job situation in NZ but my understanding is that a lot of Kiwis move to Australia for work and I know the pay is much better in Oz.

Not to be a party pooper or anything, I just believe that NZ is a place which appeals to certain people but really wouldn't to others. It's a beautiful country, maybe the most scenic that I've been to, but I don't think I could handle more than a few months of it.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.