[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Public Transportation in the US

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: paranoa-onibus.jpg (81KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
paranoa-onibus.jpg
81KB, 620x465px
Hey, /trv/

My family wants to visit my uncle for his birthday in March of next year, and invited me to go with them despite the fact I'm not much of a family guy.

Don't take me wrong, I don't dislike my relatives above normal levels, but seeing as I care very little about wasting time with them walking around looking at clothes, or even being a tourist doing touristy things, I decided to use this as a chance to purchase tech equipment that cost 800% more in my country(Brazil), try and talk to people to practice my English and see what it's like pretending I lived there.

It's not /that/ hopeless a dream to apply for an exchange program or a green card(long story short, my father is a US citizen), so why not?

Here where I live I rely heavily on public transportation to get around. I take the bus and train/subway wherever I want to go, and get rides from time to time. So I have a question for folks living in the US:

How's public transportation? Does it work OK? What do I need to take the bus or train around town?

I'll probably stay in Florida for a week or two, so if you know how that'd work in Orlando, it'd be cool, but feel free to recommend me any other parts of the country I could visit.
>>
>>1264041
>How's public transportation? Does it work OK? What do I need to take the bus or train around town?
It totally varies from city to city -- some places have subways, trains, light rail, buses; some only have one method or none. Some cities offer service every 10 minutes, some only a few times a day. Generally, the bigger the city, the more options you're going to have. In many/most rural or even suburban areas, transportation services are poor or nonexistent.

The only thing that's universal here is Amtrak trains and Greyhound buses, cheap but slow and for long distance.

As for Orlando, hopefully someone else can answer that for you.
>>
I'm not even being a dick, but check out the "get around" section of Orlando's wikitravel article. As the other Anon said, it varies widely from city to city.

what's the US citizenship deal, though, homie? parents unmarried, or father lived in the US a very short period?
>>
Use google maps and click on bus

Should plan out a route, it's pretty easy; just bring single dollars ($1) and quarters
>>
>>1264106
This, seriously. Google maps are integrated into most cities transportation systems and does a good job with it. Overall it is fine

Don't
>talk to people you don't know
>look around at people too much
>AVOID EYE CONTACT WITH ANYONE WHO LOOKS POOR OR DRUNK

Do
>google where you want to go like the other anon said
>have cash or look up the card system it uses, some places do day/week passes
>be prepared to stand
>keep your hands in your pockets or close to you
>expect it to smell shoddy

>How's public transportation? Does it work OK? What do I need to take the bus or train around town?
Works fine just plan out where you want to go prior to arrival. Don't be one of those idiots who gets to the destination then tries to figure out how to get around. Google maps saves locations and I think routes as well; use and abuse it. Keep in mind some bus lines shut down outside main routes after XX PM, so download and install uber just incase
>>
>>1264050
>>1264106
I see. I thought maybe y'all had something like the bus/train/subway passes we use here in São Paulo: they're kind of a must have because with them you don't need to pay additional fares if you need to change buses.

You recharge the card with some money, put it in front of this machine, NFC does its magic, and here's how it works:

- First bus: R$3.80
- Additional bus fares are R$0.00 for like 3 or 4 hours.
- If you need to take the subway/train, the fare is R$2.12
- Train/subway fare is always R$3.80 otherwise

Such a system is devised so that you don't spend too much when you're commuting from far away.

>>1264056
Sorry, I should've looked it up.

>>1264109
Thanks for the tips! I'm used to buses here, but I'll keep your advice in mind when I'm there.
>>
>>1264041
I just left Orlando a couple days ago, OP, and rode the buses around a bunch. For an American city, especially one so new, Orlando's public transportation is really great.

The LYNX is your primary go to. It's their local bus system with $2 fares and stops seemingly everywhere. Dunno what >>1264109 was on about, nothing smelled or was shady in any way. Granted, I guess I wasn't going through any rough neighborhoods, but LYNX isn't dirty or dangerous at all, at least in my experience.

There's also SunRail, a light rail system that cuts north-south through downtown and I think goes as far south as Kissimee? I didn't ride it but I saw it go past like a thousand times, so it must be pretty frequent.

There's also LYMMO, which is a free local bus service just for downtown. It's not nearly as frequent or widespread as LYNX obviously, but free is free.

Orlando also connects to both Tampa and Miami via Amtrak for relatively cheap, so if you've got the time to shoot down to either, I would definitely recommend it. Amtrak is slow but a super comfy way to travel.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.