[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Belarus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Belarus_provinces.png (193KB, 653x563px) Image search: [Google]
Belarus_provinces.png
193KB, 653x563px
I'm travelling to Belarus soon, I'd like to know if anyone here has been there as a tourist and what the experience was like

Since I don't speak Russian I'll be pretty limited there so I'm trying to gather as much info and tips as possible
>>
why though?
>>
I go to Belarus somewhat regularly (and am a citizen, but only by descent, I've never lived there permanently).

What would you like to know in particular?

I will say, going there speaking no Russian at all will be incredibly difficult, you at least need to know the Cyrillic alphabet and some basic phrases and numbers if you dont want to rely on google translate 24/7 because literally nobody speaks English.

Also, its really not a country for tourists, what made you go there?
>>
>>1264008
Because I'm curious about it
>>1264015
I'm trying to learn a little now
Could you recommend any restaurants? And even hotels if possible.
I heard travelling by bus between cities is more comfortable than travelling by train. Is this true? If so, could you tell me the names of the bus companies? I'd like to visit Grodno and Wikitravel says there are buses but no info on the companies or timetables.
>>
>>1264078

What city's are you visiting?

I can agree, the train system is old and also slow, its normally quicker to get a bus to another city than to try and work your way around the train system as there are no high speed railways and most of the trains are of the slow diesel variety (some major routes are electrified). However, if your looking for a trip on an old Soviet style train for some fun and sightseeing it can be fun, they still run very old trains on some routes (though likely not to big tourist destinations).

In terms of the bus, there are few bus operators (most are operated by the state transport company) but you can buy and look up tickets online at ticketbus.by, the best thing to do is go to Minsk tsentralny and just find one there, they cost around $10 to other major cities in Belarus. There's also cheap marshrutka's that you can get if you enjoy driving very fast.

For hotels, in general go for the slightly more expensive ones, there are 2 tiers of hotels, Russian and western hotels, pay the extra $20 for a western hotel unless you want the real slavic home stay experience. Non western hotels will also very rarely have any English speakers at the desk and also are often only able to take cash.

I never stay in a hotel when I visit so i have no recommendations sorry.
>>
>>1264086
I'm flying to Minsk, then I planned on visiting Brest but was recommended to go to Hrodna/Grodno instead, and then back to Minsk.

I'd go for the full Slavic experience but not now not knowing any Russian.

Could you tell me your opinion on this? http://www.minsklux.com/ Seems very very cheap, maybe too cheap. Less than 150eur for 4 nights.

Thanks!
>>
Another question, how can one get to Polotsk?
>>
>>1264102
>wants the slavic experience
>stays is a fancy hotel
>thinks 140 EUR is cheap
>360 average salary

Mate. Go to Poland and buy a red star hat, you're not for Belarus.
>>
>>1264535
Did you miss the part where I said "but not now not knowing any Russian"?
>>
File: 1470288260888.jpg (160KB, 889x960px) Image search: [Google]
1470288260888.jpg
160KB, 889x960px
>>1264547
From the 10 countries I visited I only knew the local language of England.
>>
I agree if your asking these questions it would be better to go to Poland or Latvia.
There are similarities between post

Soviet nations and those places serve as a good introduction. There would also be less issues with communication. It sounds like you just want to visit a meme quite honestly
>>
>>1264558
But in most of them locals probably spoke English to some extent too, at least the people that work in the tourism sector.
>>1264562
I've been to Poland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
>>
Reminder that Belarus is 50/50 rightful Polish/Russian clay.
>>
>>1264572
I will remind them
>>
>>1263882
I've been there in March/April. I've entered by bus from Wrasaw. Those things happened:
1) In the border, they didn't recognized my international health insurance, so I had to pay the equivalent of 1 euro/day
2) Grodno, very scenic city, but it is worth only 1, 2 days
3) Minsk, very interesting city, but 2, 3 days for it
3.1) There are real good things to see in the outskirts (like Khatyn), but unfortunately it is not feasible for traditional backpackers to go there.
4) Gomel - same as Grodno.
5) About traditional food, you can go in their self-service restaurants, with the advantage they are very cheap.
Overall, it is a country which is interesting to see only once.
>>
>>1264575
Thanks! I have accomodation in Minsk, do you think making day trips to other places (Grodno, Brest, Polotsk - two of these probably) is worth it? Or is it too little time considering I'll spend part of the day just getting there? I'm staying there for 5 days.
>>
>>1264579
That's quite far, but they say Mir city is worth a day trip
>>
>>1263882
Been to Minsk. Very comfy city. Although I was there with locals the whole time and speak Russian.
Had a crazy fun time and went out a lot.
>>
>>1265135
Nice to hear that
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.