[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VACCINES THREAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: Northwest-_-motorbike-tour.jpg (128KB, 940x600px) Image search: [Google]
Northwest-_-motorbike-tour.jpg
128KB, 940x600px
Hello /trv/ friends

I'm making the trek through vietnam / thailand / australia soon. I will be traveling for at least a year or more.

I'm calling on the experience of all travel bros, please help and share your knowledge for the betterment of man everywhere.

I will be getting my vaccines in Thailand. Who here has experience? I have done the research of what I should be getting but in my home country (USA) I cannot be spending several thousands to get vaccines.

What vaccines have you gotten before? Did you get them abroad? What were some of the side effects? Did you get sick from the vaccines?

What do you wish you would have gotten or regret getting? I know the rabies vaccine is particularly expensive and grueling.

Any tips or experience would be appreciated. Thanks Bros
>>
>>1263786
I seriously don't understand you. I live in slovakia which is a shithole but it still has a vaccine centres designed for tourism where you tell them your destination and they will give you the recomeend vaccines.
>>
>>1263810
Do you read my post?

>I know what vaccines to get,

I'm wondering if anyone has actually gotten them abroad for cheaper and what their experiences were and if they got sick or had any side effects.
>>
>>1263834
Got a meningitis shot in a shack hardly worth that name at the Liberia - Ivory Coast border. Looked sketchy as fuck, but as their equipment was sterile and the vaccines had been properly stored (check both) I went with it instead of trying to bullshit or bribe my way past it. Cheaper anyway, cost me exactly €3.

Kicker was that I didn't get any sides, which was one hell of an improvement over my first meningitis shot as that one left me quite sick for two days.
>>
I wouldn't bother with rabies. The idea is that prompt treatment is essential or else you're dead, and you can't find the post-bite vaccine at your average Thai hospital...but weighing up the odds of getting bitten, I wouldn't bother. Maybe carry a stick strapped to your bike to fend off dogs. Vietnam has the worst stray dog problem I've ever seen.

I'd also be interested to hear stories of getting them done abroad. I remember in Senegal it cost me less than $3 for the same amount of the same anti-malarial I'd been prescribed for $250 in the US.
>>
>>1263834
Vaccines need a grace period 7-21 days before they work thats why you get them at home, some countries even ned proof of vaccination to enter so there's that.

Side effects are pretty much random, you can't say that will happen only 1 in 10 will have x, 1 in 100 will get y and 1 in 1million will get something really really serious that requires hospitalisation.
If you get mutliple vaccines at a time you're almost guaranteed one of the smaller side effects like:
>high fever over 37.5°C
>general feeling of discomfort or illness
>unusual tiredness or weakness
that can and will knock you out for up to 14 days

Enjoy.
>>
>>1263849
>>1263853
>>1263855

Thank you for all info and advice.
The only Vaccines I've gotten in the past are flu vaccines twice and they FUCK ME UP. Like really sick for a few days.

I'm never normally sick otherwise, I eat well, sleep well and work out all the time.
I'm debating going no vaccines for health reasons purely (not that i'm too cheap to spend the $) but I'm hoping for more info from the /trv/ crew first
>>
>>1263863
I'm
>>1263855
and forgot the
>t. MD

So, yes you want Hep A and Hep B as they're a bitch to deal with.
>you don't want to stay sober for 1year and sanitize your toilet after every use right?
You want your tetanus up to date, if the last one was over 10 years ago get it FFS
>you don't want to get hospitalised from stepping into a shared or nail right?

Those three are the get at home musts. You go into a risk area and don't want to fuck your shit up. Most other stuff is optional, if it's not a high risk don't get it.

Almost every doctor or hospital where ever you go will have WHO compliant vaccines, and they will sign it in your yellow vaccination passport booklet. So if they do that, take care of them and use single use syringes there's nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>1263883
Thank you very much I really appreciate this as does everyone else.

I am up to date on tetanus and I was absolutely going to get my hep A+B minimum. If you think It's a must to get at home prior I will look into it.

It's all the other crazy stuff. If I get bit by an animal and want to take measures, they'll just give me the rabies vaccine anyway wont they? Your thoughts?

The other stuff, yellow fever, jap e, so on, I'm just considering going without. I just don't want to be pumping myself with all these crazy vaccines as a preventative measure and be sick because of it.

Again thanks for all help and info.
>>
>>1263888
>Thank you very much I really appreciate this as does everyone else.
np
>I am up to date on tetanus and I was absolutely going to get my hep A+B minimum. If you think It's a must to get at home prior I will look into it.
Do it, you won't regret it as those two are shit to deal with and easy to get.
> they'll just give me the rabies vaccine anyway wont they? Your thoughts
You would need them hours (ASAP!!!) after the bite and it's 5 injections + some local treatment over 28 days (passive immunization that is expensive as fuck) and you have to find a hospital that has it on file (larger cities only). So if you go trekking/biking off the beaten path get the vaccination just to buy yourself time. In case of a bite you only need to find a doc that has the active immunization stocked within 24h (almost every doc) and are good to go after 72h and a second shot.
>The other stuff, yellow fever, jap e, so on, I'm just considering going withou
Yellow fever is almost zero risk if you go to SEA, only if you consider to go to Africa or South America (Brazil especially) in soon after it's worth to get it.
jap E, is a almost 0 side effects vaccination, so if you got a few days for shots get it. If you go around SEA rural areas during the rain season I highly recommend it, else you can skip it.
>I just don't want to be pumping myself with all these crazy vaccines as a preventative measure and be sick because of
Most of them are once or twice off shots so just plan them over time and don't do them last minute so you won't get sick side effects. One minor and one less common side effect combined is the equivalent of one terrible side effect.
>>
>>1263897
I just realized that I could and should be getting these spaced out over time as a preventative measure. If I plan to stay long term this will be how I do it.

In my mind I had to get stabbed 10 times as soon as I landed but spacing them out is a better idea. Thank you. I will continue to do my own research as well just to have more info.

Just to clarify are you saying I should get HEP A+B in my home country or would you trust getting these abroad?

For anyone doing SE Asia, these are commonly passed through contaminated food, dirty water, sexual contact and definitely drug use so anyone going through SE asia should get them.
>>
>>1263901
>I just realized that I could and should be getting these spaced out over time as a preventative measure. If I plan to stay long term this will be how I do it.
That's the way to go. Cover the biggest threats and over time you will have them all covered.
>Just to clarify are you saying I should get HEP A+B in my home country or would you trust getting these abroad?
Those are the 100% get them ASAP at home. They need a few weeks to become fully active and are even worth it at home as Hep A+B are common infections
>the common side effects are 99% your body fighting the already death intruders off and building up antibodies. So expect a day feeling like shit.

Yeah I keep it as simple as possible...
>>
I haven't seen any threads on this so I hope other people can use this info as well.
>>
I don't get vaccinated ever, because I don't want to get autism.
>>
Canadian here.

I know our healthcare system is more or less "free," but where the heck do you go for non-essential vaccines?

I can get all the flu shots and x-rays I want, but I have no idea how to arrange for travel-related vaccines. Even if I have to pay for it, I still have no idea where to begin.
>>
>>1263972
Your doc will always have the common stuff in stock like Hep A/B and Tetanus and will tell you where you can get the other shots.
It's usually the next larger hospital with a tropic disease unit if it's on short notice else your doc will order it for you or refer you to a other doc where you can get it.
>at least in the western world some of those shots require hospital like infrastructure for the 1 in 1million SHTF side effects occurring within 15min
>>
>>1263972
A travel clinic but you'll have to pay out of pocket for the visit + the vaccines since both are considered non-essential medical services. Or you could try to tack on a travel visit to a normal family physician visit for something else. Then you won't have to pay a clinic visit fee but the vaccines still need to paid for...unless you say you're gay, then certain ones like hep A/B are covered depending on the province. Other thing that can cover costs is if you have insurance.
>>
>>>/pol/130627626
>>
>>1263918

Too late it seems
>>
OP here, just an update. Went to the doctor for a few things..

i never get flu shots but since they offered I asked them how they feel, both the nurse beforehand and the doc said they never get flu shots.

nurses and docs dont even get flu shots? Huh?
>food for thought
>>
>>1265168
That's because flu shots from the WHO are some kind of gamble. They decide in spring what might be the strongest strain next winter, produce the serum and push it out.
The problem is the vaccination is only active for about 2-3 years and there're a few hundred strains so it's only useful for 2 kind of people:
>the weak, like over 65 years old, chronic ill and the one with a very weak immune system
>the people taking care of the above so hospital doc/nurses, social service, old people's home worker including cooking/cleaning staff working there
The second group does it not for them self but to prevent the chance of being the intermediate host and infect the first group, especially those that can't get vaccinated.
>>
I got my final course of Hep B and Rabies in a Thai hospital, it was the cheapest and most efficient system I can imagine.
>Large clean hospital with travel clinic for foreigners
>Greeted at door by friendly nurse
>Place closes in half an hour, not a problem
>Led upstairs to clinic and fill out paperwork
>Do basic measurements, blood pressure, height, weight etc.
>Wait two minutes then see the doctor for what it is I want
>Some basic advice and script
>Take script, go to cashier and get receipt, take receipt to dispensary, get vaccines
>Wait 2 more minutes
>Tall, friendly, slightly manly nurse calls me to room
>Two jabs, here's some cotton wool and off you go.
>Registered to a Bangkok hospital, assessed, and vaccinated by a possible ladyboy
>Less than £20
>10/10 would get ladyboy injection again
>>
File: 1444253795214.png (311KB, 424x445px) Image search: [Google]
1444253795214.png
311KB, 424x445px
>>1265192
>would get ladyboy injection again
>>
File: 218265938.jpg (64KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
218265938.jpg
64KB, 540x540px
>tfw deathly afraid of needles
>>
>>1265273
Most medical professionals are trained to deal with people like you. They're pretty good at it.

>tfw not afraid of needles
>medical professionals still treat me like I am afraid of needles
>they manage to distract the shit out of me while injecting me
>>
>>1263972
We get fucked over when it comes to vaccines. They're really expensive here in Canada. Try to get them abroad if you're able to. Only the essential ones are free, even hep a/b cost a lot.
>>
File: sour.png (295KB, 631x929px) Image search: [Google]
sour.png
295KB, 631x929px
>>1263863
>I'm debating going no vaccines for health reasons purely
Explain
>>
>>1265335
I have researched vaccine prices, and yes, I have noticed that a lot of them are in the hundreds.

But I'm also of the belief that no price is too small for my well-being. Vaccines cost hundreds, but a life is priceless. I haven't had any expensive vaccines yet, but I would probably justify it in my head like that if I needed one on short notice.

>Try to get them abroad if you're able to.
That sounds like a stellar idea, but I think I'm too prejudiced when it comes to choosing where to go for cheap healthcare.

I'm probably an uninformed shithead, but I just don't think some countries are up to par with their healthcare system. Like, I would be more likely to trust places like Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, UK, etc. but I would have serious reservations about places like Thailand, Mexico, Botswana, etc. I know I'm probably wrong, but I can't shake off this feeling.
>>
>>1265340
Thailand has a very reliable medical profession, one of the best in the continent, people actually go there from around Asia to get reliable well priced health care. Mexico has some sketchy doctors, but most of them are quite good. I don't know about Botswana but I'd tend to agree with you there.
>>
>>1265340
Private clinics in middle income countries like Mexico are often excellent. Usually the US consulate keeps lists of reliable English-speaking medical services for tourists.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (118KB, 1128x850px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
118KB, 1128x850px
>>
DO NOT GIVE VACCINES TO YOUR CHILDREN! THEY CAUSE AUTISM
>>
>>1265650
The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.