[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hitchhiking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1.jpg (17KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
17KB, 852x480px
Hey /trv/

I'm planning on hitchhiking from Seattle to Los Angeles for the first time in July. Have any of you guys hitchhiked and have any tips for beginners.

Thanks.
>>
>>1263091
Nobody will pick you up unless you're a girl, in which case they will expect a bj or at least handjob. If you're a dude you can get rides from truckers at rest stops, but most of them will expect sexual favors too. Hitchhiking is illegal on most US highways now, too. Expect the staters to arrest you if they see you doing it.

Sorry dude, the days of hitchhiking are long gone.
>>
check out hitchwiki
>>
>>1263157
this

also, at least in europe it's pretty easy to do in general. I've done it on my own and it worked, but of course with a girl by your side everything is much easier.
>>
>>1263164
Europe, yes, it's easy. OP is asking about the US.
>>
>>1263154
ahahaha holy shit you are retarded
>>
These people have all never tried. I have hitchhiked the US a lot and, depending on the place, it works great. Montana, Colorado etc are quick usually, maybe an hour wait or a lot less, but like Turlock CA took me a full day. Fuck Turlock.

Going alone or with friends all okay.

just make sure you are in a spot where they can pull over, and hopefully they are going slowly, like the front of an on ramp with a shoulder. Shoulders are great man.

You can use a sign too with the name of the place youre going, and if you do that make the sign look nice. But usually I dont do that.

Also rest stops are nice, you can meet people face to face and they can see youre not sketchy. Better than gas stations I think.

When you start, take a bus or get a ride to the edge of the city. Getting out of the city is always the hardest part.

You generally wont wait for a ride more than a few hours at a time. Smiling helps, and when they can see your face etc.

Best of luck!
>>
Also I am a guy and I have never been arrested etc for hitchhiking.
>>
>>1263510
what he said.

I did Portland to LA on the 101. Had a long wait in the woods outside eureka. Don't take regional transit to the middle of nowhere is all I can suggest. Yet, the long wait did turn into a ride all the way to south of Santa Cruz.
>>
Helps to be young
Helps to appear fun and free spirited
I suspect it helps to have a friend
I suspect it hurts to have a pet
Highway on ramps are great spots
If you're on the highway, be visible from as far away as possible
Make sure they'll have a wide shoulder to park on
Some people like to talk, but others are fine with you just being along for the ride

On this topic, I once saw a man raging on a banjo on the side of the highway, looking like a damn album cover. I wanted to pick him up but he had an awful spot.
>>
if no money how do you guys get food?
>>
>>1263782
same as looking for a ride, sit on an on-ramp with a sign

if you can get a girl to do it, you're guaranteed beer money in no time flat
>>
Look decent ie not a bum

Hitch at the bottom of a hill, preferably on a straight road where they have room to stop after seeing seeing you

I don't use signs because sometimes drivers see it and assume they can't take you if that's not where they're going. Their brain doesn't process that halfway there is okay with you

Most importantly: trust your instincts. All of my bad hitches have been me not listening to my intuition or just trying to get out of shit weather.

Keep your phone GPS on and hidden to make sure they're actually going where they say they are and you can call them out if they're not.
>>
>>1263782
Go to squattheplanet.org (or .com?)

They have a lot of awesome information.

Food stamps, dumpsters, offering restaurants to wash their dishes for a free meal, etc etc. Many ways. And you can panhandle, but I have never done that.
>>
Is it possible to just have a tent, bike and some supplies, no money, and just travel where ever you like?
>>
>>1263154
yeah, absolutely retarded, living under a rock too.
>>
>>1263091
I don't know about Washington or Oregon, but hitchhiking in California is illegal. Good luck.
>>
>>1263154
Absolutely none of this is true.

Why do people who don't travel come on /trv/?
>>
>>1264295
well, there was that one time when an American picked me up somewhere in Hungary. He couldn't believe I'm hitchhiking, since it's so dangerous and stuff. He wanted me to say my last words to the camera, which he would send to my parents. He said not an american would ever do it.
Still, he was already travelliing through another continent...
>>
>>1263091
Look non threatening. I always pick up hitch hikers but my fmaily got wind of my activites and lambasted me for it. They assume all hitch hikers are on the run or some type of patrick bateman.

have a sign with your destination
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.