[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it normal to sometimes get slightly depressed over how temporary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170617_130117.jpg (4MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170617_130117.jpg
4MB, 3036x4048px
Is it normal to sometimes get slightly depressed over how temporary friendships you build while solo traveling are?
>>
I always get depressed during travel, it just depends on what level of depression.

last time I was in China I felt utterly alone (didn't speak the language, only a few plastic friendships with other expats), had to come home early just to stop myself from an heroing.
>>
>>1262870
you have 4chan, how can you ever feel depressed?
>>
>>1262873
I got that a little during a trip when I was visiting pen pals in Portugal on days when they were unable to meet with me. I still had a good time, but it was a lot less exciting on days I was alone.

This trip I'm having the opposite problem. I'm in Toulouse and I met this girl, American (which I am as well) and we became fast friends. We spent a lot of time chatting last night and we had a great time.

Today she wasn't able to meet up because she was beat after a day trip elsewhere (looking back I should have hinted I wanted to tag along but whatever). I was a little bummed because another day of hanging out would have been fun, but I also realized she and I probably won't keep in touch in the long term.

I'm not really upset about her in particular, but now I'm feeling sad about the fact that most friendships I make in solo travel will probably just be that I become close with someone really fast and then never talk to them much again.
>>
>>1262870
No, becuase I ask them about their phone number and social media information and we keep in touch.
>>
>>1262870
Just use Facebook,
I still talk to my travel buds and we plan future trip together.
>>
>>1262921
>>1262921
I'm >>1262878

We exchanged Facebook and phone numbers. Like I said we were talking about meeting a second day but she was tired.

I texted back saying I understood, mentioned how much I enjoyed the night before and suggested we keep in touch in the future but she didn't respond to that.

I'm planning on just leaving it up to her to get back to me. Should I perhaps try a follow up "how was your trip?" message back in the states? Not really trying to force anything, but I've heard friends who I lost touch with because one of us just got too lazy at one point and I don't want a repeat.
>>
>>1262925
>I texted back saying I understood, mentioned how much I enjoyed the night before and suggested we keep in touch in the future but she didn't respond to that.
>"Tired" excuse
>Doesn't reply

dude she doesn't care.

roasties flake, ignore her back and move on.
>>
> meet girl
> spend 2 days with her
> she leaves or I leave
> get tfw no gf
> arrive in new city
> meet new girl
>repeat
>>
That's part of the charm for me. Knowing I'm probably not going to see them again and we make the most of our time and have a blast. Sometimes, albeit rarely you'll make some lasting friendships. Those are a real treat but I never expect it.

I met my best friend in Korea from 4chan of all places. He's a Korean man from Busan but lives in New Zealand now. I'm back in Washington but we still talk pretty frequently and we've planned and followed through with trips in the past.
>>
Sort of.

I've traveled a fair amount since 2013.

I used to not mind constantly meeting new people and leaving them behind, but it has started to get to me.

I was recently in Ecuador. A few days into my trip, I met a guy from Colombia. We traveled together for about half of my short, three week trip, before I headed for the coast and he continued south to Peru.

Starting back at zero and not knowing anyone took its toll. I enjoyed being on the beach, but I found myself having a harder time putting myself out in the open and making friends.

Going on a six-month trip soon and very happy that a substantial portion of it will be spend in the company of close friends. I'm meeting one of my best friends in Tanzania - he's serving in the Peace Corps there - and spending about a month and a half with him before his service ends. We'll split up for a while and then link back again in India, a country wherein I know tons of people.

Definitely still into travel, but I'm at a point where I want to start doing productive things (which I'll need to finish my degree for), making sort of a difference, and forging lasting connections instead of just hopping off to some new place every other day.
>>
>>1262870
Where did you take this pic ? It reminds me of somewhere in Toulouse
>>
>>1263443
Sorry I just read the rest of the thread so I guess it's indeed Toulouse
I lived there last year, too bad we could have met up
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.