[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv/, I wanted to ask your advice on a move I plan to make

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (189KB, 1438x1462px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
189KB, 1438x1462px
Hey /trv/, I wanted to ask your advice on a move I plan to make in the near-ish future. I have been highly considering moving to Cambodia (Phnom Penh) for at least a year (save money teaching English with my wife), until I can afford someplace else + have Tefl experience. Besides Cambodia being poor and dirty is there any reason why this would be a bad idea? Wanting to go to China after. Will have just over 10k after tickets.
>>
>save money teaching English with my wife
>Besides Cambodia being poor and dirty is there any reason why this would be a bad idea?

How much do you think English teachers get paid in Cambodia lol? It's not SK or JPN salaries that's for damn sure, it's one of the poorest countries on the planet. The people already teaching English there are working for NGOs/PeaceCorp-type shit.

Even in Thailand or Vietnam, both significantly more developed, you will barely break even (maybe save a few hundred a month if you eat rice every meal and never go out/do anything fun).

>Wanting to go to China after.
Then wouldn't you just teach there in the first place?
>>
>>1262551
You're not going to "save" money teaching English anywhere. I'm not sure how much research you've done into this, but you're paid a pittance. People do it for the experience.

If you want to go to China, just go to China.
>>
>>1262577
>>1262579

I've seen several sources that site it at 1000-1200 a month. While we couldn't save a ton, we could easily easily get by on one salary (including drinks and adventuring), while banking the other. Am I wrong about this?
>>
>>1262582
There are a million other ways to make money, better and faster than teaching English. Go work on a fishing boat for a couple months or something = $50k. Nobody teaches English for the tiny payout. The only way you would save any money is by literally doing nothing, eating nothing, etc. And then you'd only have a few thousand at the end.
>>
>>1262583
I've heard of people with experience clearing 6 figures in some middle eastern countries. I'd kind of like to be able to travel while sustaining myself. I do this for a few years until I have a more solid plan. If I fall into something that pays well, I might even stay.
>>
>>1262579
The words of the deluded

I saved $20,000 dollars in two years and I wasn't being frugal at all. China and Korea, SE Asia, all of those are good choices. Though Japan is more expensive it's still possible, especially if supplemented with private tutoring.

Don't spread misinformation when you have absolutely no idea what you're talk about.
>>
>>1262584
>with experience
>in some middle eastern countries
being the operative words here. Not "unskilled" and "in Cambodia".
>>
>>1262585
That's not bad at all. Are you still doing it?

>>1262587
I was suggesting I might move there after I get some experience in Cambodia. I don't expect to get rich doing this, but there seem to be a lot of benefits (unless im missing something, which is why I asked you guys)
>>
>>1262588
I just got back last week. I'm attending a Masters in Teaching Program at my home state with endorsements in Math and English.

Still dealing reverse-culture shock here and there. 2 years in Korea will do that. But it was an incredible experience and it was good to save money as well.

But anyone who does it for an extended period, 3+ years usually is really weird, bitter and is unpleasant to be around for whatever reason. Don't be those guys. Learn the language of the country you're attending, learn about the culture, meet with locals.
>>
>>1262592
That sounds awesome man. I've heard nothing but good things from the people who have actually done it. Thanks for your advice. - how well do you speak Korean after the time there?
>>
>>1262595
Enough to make qts laugh and order food, say basic things, survive, etc. not fluent but above average but the average is pitifully low.

Most people learn jack shit even after living here for years so if you put in effort into Korean the local people will love you even more. Expect a lot of "wow your Korean is really good!!!" When you say "some chicken, 1000cc beer and 3 bottles of soju please" Plus the qts think foreigners speaking Korean is cute.
>>
>>1262585
>$20,000 dollars in two years
Ok, you saved money but $10k/year is not huge savings. Not compared to six months working a few dish gigs or a fishing boat or other seasonal manual labour.

A lot of office jobs, you can save $20k in six months or so if you just skimp a bit.

People use English teaching to save money when they don't have any real skills and don't want to work as hard as the fishermen etc do. It's a physically undemanding job, even if it's reasonably long hours and shit anyway.
>>
File: TimMclean.jpg (24KB, 550x523px) Image search: [Google]
TimMclean.jpg
24KB, 550x523px
>>1263480
>Not compared to six months working a few dish gigs or a fishing boat or other seasonal manual labour.
kek Canadians pay dishwashers $20 an hour...drifting from odd job to odd job is no way to live your life nor does it look good on a resume. And most "roughneck" jobs like commercial fisherman or oil rig gigs aren't hiring anyone who just shows up. They want burly dudes with previous experience or ex-military.
>People use English teaching to save money when they don't have any real skills
> don't have any real skills
Nice bait, m8.
>don't want to work as hard as the fishermen
Most fishermen are spending $$$ on meth and/or cocaine in order to stay awake and focused when the fish are coming in. I bet quite a few would love to give that shit up and go teach English if only they had the degrees required to do so.
>>
>>1263524
>drifting from odd job to odd job is no way to live your life
I agree but you can stack a couple of those jobs and save money if you want. I know people that did it and went traveling for three months with what they saved.

And English teaching is unskilled because most teachers don't have relevant degrees and half of them don't have degrees at all (admittedly those ones get fucked over a lot) so yeah, it's unskilled.
>>
>>1262551
10k is a lot of money for 2 people in PP. you could probably last 6 months purely off that living well. However you won't save much if anything teaching English.
>>
File: image.jpg (107KB, 1024x442px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107KB, 1024x442px
>>1263524
> Canadians pay dishwashers $20 an hour

Are you on crack? I live in Alberta, the province with the highest economy. Dishwashers make about $13.50-$15.00 an hour ( 9.50-11.50 USD ). And the cost of living here is pretty fucking high. The average 2 bedroom apartment here costs $1200 a month. If you can get a job that is as Canada is going downhill economically.

I'm grinding out enough money to leave this country in the trades. I'm a first year apprentice and once you factor in vacation pay I make $23.50 an hour. I only make good money because I work a lot of hours in a week, 55 straight time hours each week thanks to OT. You're fucked in the head if you think it's easy to make money here. I'm blessed to have this opportunity because at this rate I can leave this godforsaken shithole in 12-14 months.

My point is, don't buy into the hype. Canada isn't the promised land and you're probably a delusional Democrat who believes the BS spewed about the " paradise " that is Canada.
>>
>>1262551
>That pic
Your thread is shit but I really relate to your picture. My home town is a slice of redneck americana in upstate NY and all we ever did/do there is get drunk and stoned and walk around.
>>
>>1263480
>People use English teaching to save money when they don't have any real skills and don't want to work as hard as the fishermen etc do. It's a physically undemanding job, even if it's reasonably long hours and shit anyway.

This blanket statement is very wrong sir. Some LBHs go do ESL and never come back but a good % actually have good prospects back home with a clear plan in mind. I used teaching abroad to experience life in another country in addition to kickstarting my actual teaching career. It was an incredible experience. Like I said in my previous post, I wasn't being frugal at all and every weekend had something to do.

Don't disparage people that took a different path than you it makes you look like a delusional idiot.
>>
>>1263480
>>1263930
>Platitudes?
Check
>unequivocal comparisons?
Check
>completely uninformed about the spectrum of quality teaching jobs overseas?
Check

Wew lad you're a piece of work. Let me remind you that you're not an expert in something if you haven't experienced anything related that that topic. You actually have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Please stop shitposting and spreading false information.
>>
>>1263480
>Get to live in Tokyo for a few years after college doing a super easy job
>Go to grad school based on my college degree qualifications
>Graduate with a job that puts me in the top 10% of earners

Yep I totally screwed myself
>>
>>1263480
People like you are the worst. God forbid somebody live their life the way they want to.

>>1262585
>>1264061
>>1264068
He probably has a STEM degree or something, and has been brainwashed by 4chan into thinking it is the only feasible option to make money and live life. What you are talking about is similar to what I want to do. Teach abroad, learn a language, save up enough for traveling around, then come back and jump into my actual teaching career. It isn't such an uncommon plan. I mean I will never be loaded but it is what I want to do.
>>
>>1264061
>a good % actually have good prospects back home with a clear plan in mind

Yeah, I know some of those teachers but there are shitloads of unskilled teachers who do it because they can't really do anything else and half the time they can't teach either but they're just entertaining 4yos so it doesn't really matter.

And of course there are a handful of losers who are waiting out statutes and things.
>>
>>1264064
>Let me remind you that you're not an expert in something if you haven't experienced anything related that that topic. You actually have no fucking idea what you're talking about
But I have?

>>1264068
>Yep I totally screwed myself
I didn't say that you did, I just said that english teaching for saving money wasn't the most efficient way to do it (and that there were a lot of losers in it). You went and worked in some professional job so I guess you agree with me?

I know teachers with postgraduate degrees who are payed well and do good work but I also know a shitload of losers who spend half their time gossiping about when the next visa crackdown will be
>>
I've done a fair bit of research on teaching English overseas.

Without a specialized teaching degree, you will only make good money in Gulf Arab madhouses. Oman seems alright, but the other options are just stable versions of ISIS.

You can make passable money in Korea, Japan, and Taiwan. Enough to live off of and even save a bit, especially if you live frugally.

Anywhere else, you're making so little money that you probably won't even save enough to buy a plane ticket out, no matter how frugally you live. Europe is too expensive for the pay you get, everywhere else is just too fucking poor.

China is kind of a border case. Depending on the job you can maybe save a few thousand a year if you live really frugally. So, enough to afford the plane ticket to the next country and a few months there, but not much more.
>>
>>1262583
Are you seriously implying that anyone could just go join a fishing boat and then return after a couple of months with $50k?

That doesn't sound legit
>>
>>1264560
How can I teach abroad without a degree? I don't care if it's in the Middle East or in Asia. I don't have a TEFL-cert and I haven't started uni/college yet
>>
>>1264588
Same way that people with a degree do, go there, apply around and get a job. The only difference is you won't really have a chance in any developed countries so your options are limited to places like Cambodia, Laos, etc. It's not impossible, just don't expect to make a lot of money.
>>
>>1264594
Hmm, I was hoping for some more info on places in the Middle East as well. I just checked up on Oman, and as far as I can see, almost everywhere they ask for TEFL
>>
>>1264597
You won't teach anywhere in the middle east without a degree (and even then really only if you have experience/can actually teach). They have money so they can afford to be selective.
>>
>>1264597
You can also like.. You know.. Lie about a Tefl and degree like literally everyone without them do..
>>
I've been researching this a while, and it's strange to see so many really mixed opinions.

1. Why work in cambodia? I was just there and it's shit-pay is pittiful and costs are high.
Most people seem to end up starting in vietnam because the pay is much better and it's more developed
I lived on 8$/day in some places there, but that wasn't a lifestyle I could maintain for longer than a month and isn't even remotely possible when you factor in the cost of computers/internet/etc
basically to get that cost of living you need to be a farmer, and live like a farmer

2. why teach English to save money? Like many people here point out the pay really isn't that good.
The saving comes primarily from low cost of living, at which point you should be considering online work based out of Vietnam or Thailand.
and those people who always pop up saying/boating how much they make, the elephant in the room is that they almost always have a masters in teaching or considerable experience, so they are really giving a false impression that a senior level wage is attainable

And I'm just putting it out there that in many countries wages are high in general, in Australia I made 300USD/week as an underpaid waiter.
Don't use american wages as a standard

My plan is to post up in hanoi/saigon where I can get a TEFL, get an apartment and start teaching two-three months after arriving
I heard paperwork requirements are in practice the business of your employer
>>
>>1264587
In the late 90s I was getting $35k for a summer of working on Alaskan fishing boats. I'm sure it's at least $50k now but I'm too lazy to look.

It's fucking insanely hard work, you pretty much have to do speed to hack it. It sucks, I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>1262583
Can you name a few other ways? I myself cant fish because I have a buddhist vow not to kill and I have heard about fishing before as being a well paying seasonal job. A job which is seasonal and requires some hardship but pays well sounds god-tier to me. Like being a fire watcher or lighthouse operator. Anyways any insight is appreciated.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.