[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

San Diego to Washington in August... Is it worth the drive if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

San Diego to Washington in August...

Is it worth the drive if I only have 16 days?

I am aware big sur is closed, sucks but I will probably just stay in the santa cruz area an extra night or two to camp anyway.

Planning to go to Shasta and Crater Lake, up into Mt Hood and into Olympic NP in wash, possibly back down to the oregon coast and then taking the 1 back down to SF, staying a night there then home.. so about 2 days in total will be spent driving but I need. a road trip. I have some time to plan.

Is it worth the trip? Any recommendations on where to sleep? things to see? places to eat along the way?

I will basically be spending 1-2 nights in each major city (or outside of them at a camp site)

2 nights Santa barbara
2 nights santa cruz
1 night shasta
1 night crater
2 nights portland
2 nights olympic
1 night cannon beach?
back home.
>>
that's more than enough time, you'll probably spend 2 days total driving for sure, but it's not like that's all in one day. Id recommend at least 2 full days in one place so 3 nights as driving will get tiring
>>
File: 17917.jpg (544KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
17917.jpg
544KB, 1024x683px
>>1262537
16 days is a ton of time. Long stretches of the coast are boring. Big Sur is closed? I didn't know that, that really sucks.

You'll probably want to spend more time in Crater Lake, since it's kind of out of the way getting there. There'll be lots of tourists in the summer, but it's still worth driving or biking around the lake. Don't bother paying for the boat ride to Wizard Island. If you've got gear, you can actually scuba dive in the lake!

Check out the Painted Hills -- extremely beautiful and worth seeing up close; I believe Mitchell is the closest town. Stop in the town of Fossil and spend an afternoon cracking open rocks behind the high school.

Olympia is a nice city to kick back in. Get some pizza at Old School.

Cannon Beach is okay, but if you've seen one little PNW coastal town, you've seen them all.
>>
>>1262576
Also, Portland -- look up the Angel's Rest hike. It's over by Multnomah Falls. It's a short trek with a significant elevation gain, you end up getting a really lovely view of the Gorge. Only takes an hour or so.

And if you like art, there's the Maryhill Museum just a big further down the Colombia. They have a large collection of Rodin ("The Thinker" sculptor) works, along with some nice paintings.

There's a ton of other wonderful hikes in the Gorge.
>>
>>1262576
looking more like 13 days now, going to be with 2 of my friends as well they both really wanna see the pnw, we've all never been there but i'd love to go too. We are camping in shasta for one night and then will head into oregon.
>>
File: Ape_Cave_Lava_Tube_IMG_2193.jpg (35KB, 648x432px) Image search: [Google]
Ape_Cave_Lava_Tube_IMG_2193.jpg
35KB, 648x432px
>>1262580
Shasta is alright, but Crater Lake is really really pretty. All of the PNW is gorgeous, honestly, and the summers are really nice. It'll be a little hot in Eastern Oregon in August though.

Oh! I just remembered! DEFINITELY go to the Apes Cave. You have to go! It's a mile-ish long cave you can explore and walk through. It's awesome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape_Cave
>>
>>1262586
should i skip the pnw and just go to tahoe shasta and point reyes/santa cruz? or is it a worth while trip up
>>
>>1262648
I literally was coming to post the same thing.

bumpin bumpin' - because I need 2 know as well.
>>
>>1262648
Why would you skip the PNW? It's so much better than California. I just gave you a bunch of cool shit to see up there.
>>
>>1262841
idk my idiot friend keeps saying its too far to drive.

going anyway.

any hot springs in NorCal/Oregon/WA?
>>
>>1262880
yep, a bunch. Check out Bagby Hot Springs, about an hour east of Salem off 1-5. It's in the Mt Hood National Forest -- dense old growth, feels like fucking Ferngully or something. Really beautiful.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.