[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

United Kingdom

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: bongland.png (4KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
bongland.png
4KB, 318x159px
Planning on taking a trip to the U.K. at the end of August.

Looking for any general tips of things to do, places to go, etc.

Plan to spend 1 day in Manchester, a few days in London, and then would like to go to the countryside for a few days. Cornwall area seems like a good fit.
>>
>>1262468
cornwall is gonna be busy af with school holidays in august but thats gonna be the same everywhere. Dorset and devon are also nice and there really isnt much difference between them. If you do go to cornwall check out the eden project its great
>>
>>1262475
>eden project

Looks pretty great. Wife will love that place, so we will definitely check it out.

Thanks for the suggestion
>>
>>1262468
Avoid bridges and tower blocks and you should be okay
>>
>>1262468
>Manchester
That whole region is shit, skip Manchester, take a trip out to Snowdonia or Cumbria, then go to London. Fuck Cornwall, if you want sunny beaches don't come to the UK
>>
You would be silly to miss Yorkshire out, Go to York, Leeds, Knaresbrough, Harrogate, Whitby, the dales, the moors, Robin Hood bay, Dalby forest etc
>>
>>1262512

Going to Manchester for a game.

Not looking for beaches. More looking for hiking and other such nature related things.
>>
Avoid London it's filled to the brim with rabid Pakis and Africans
>>
>>1262747
Lake District or Snowdonia if you want hiking, cornwall is pretty shit for hiking unless you want coastal walks
>>
File: God Save Fish&Chips.gif (912KB, 397x312px) Image search: [Google]
God Save Fish&Chips.gif
912KB, 397x312px
>>1262468
Castle Crag and Scafell Pike in the lake district are great while you're in the north
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkvd26JyJy4

London its best to just stay within Westminster to tower bridge, apart from to see things like Downing street and IWM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_vJGHqw_4&t=255s
>>
Not OP here. Which if any of the following should I skip if I'm short on time? Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds.
>>
>>1263504
Hey there!
I was in all of them and I found that Liverpool has the most to offer. Second comes Birmingham and Manchester right behind. So in my humble opinion you can skip Leed if you have to choose because of shortage of time.
>>
>>1262747
If you're coming to Manchester go see some live music.

Venues to look up are the soup kitchen, Albert hall, deaf institute, bridge water hall and matt and phreds.

Curry mile in Rusholme and the China town in the city center are the big ethnic spots. I mention the Curry mile because it is at the end of oxford road which runs from the central library/town hall through the university district to natural history museum and the whitworth gallery.

Cheap bars near the universities, but also cheap bars everywhere. The trendy shopping district is known as the Northern Quarter.

Watch out for people on spice around Piccadilly gardens. Don't interact with the zombies who are on a spice high.

>>1263504
Leeds is lovely sized city. I'd take it over Manchester if you're looking to cut your trip.

Liverpool has an interesting china town, the Anglican cathedral and the Tate. I'd take Manchester over it though.

Birmingham is like a smaller London. It's the second city across a range of things these days not Manchester.

Consider smaller cities because the ones you've picked out have a lot of overlap. Worth a google are York, Durham, Bath, Whitby, Brighton and Wells.

You really should go to Edinburgh though.
>>
The only place up north worth visiting is York and even that's not worth going out of your way for as there is fuck all there.

Do the tourist shit in London, visit Cambridge and Bath then get a plane to Glasgow and visit Edinburgh while you're up there.
>>
>>1263668
>>1263678
Thanks guys. Kind of opposite advice of each other though. I'll figure it out though.

And I do plan to go to Edinburgh and many of those other cities you named.
>>
>>1262468
did you want countryside and the beach or just countryside?
>>
>>1263895

Just countryside. We may end up spending a lot of time in Ireland
>>
Manchester Bro here

Go lake district, go edinburgh and liverpool, fuck london for a few days, southerners are cunts and dont have any manners
>>
>>1264625
Lake district fag here it's horribly congested these days during summer, avoid the big towns. Even Grasmere is borderline with the traffic these days.
>>
>>1262533
This lad knows the score. Visit an abbey or two, like Bolton or Fountains
>>
>>1262468
How long are you there?

I don't know if you're American, but they have a habit of underestimating how long travel can take. London to Cornwall is about a six hour drive. It's also about six hours by train due to transfers. There's plenty of countryside all around London. Loads of great national parks. As countryside goes, Cornwall is pretty touristy.

Also, you say the UK, but have only mentioned places in England. Will you only be in England?
>>
File: 1417632435.jpg (243KB, 890x890px) Image search: [Google]
1417632435.jpg
243KB, 890x890px
>>1265109
>I don't know if you're American, but they have a habit of underestimating how long travel can take. London to Cornwall is about a six hour drive
Hell, I've taken shits at work that were longer than that.
>>
File: IMG_2605.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2605.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
How would you spend a weekend in your favorite city?
>>
>>1265788
>How would you spend a weekend in your favorite city?
Fuck, this was suppose to be a thread
>>
>>1262512
>skip manchester
>go to london!

You're a fucking idiot son, londons a fucking soul dead cess pit of the highest order, complete fucking shit hole.
>>
>>1264625
>southerners are cunts and dont have any manners
What the fuck is this reality? Mate i live in the south west and every fucking year we have to tolerate low i.q vile drunken animals of shit from manchester and liverpool, it's you fucking apes that have no manners or etiquette that's probs why you get treated bad as soon as we here that god awful mark of a moron accent.
>>
Stay out of London
>>
>>1262468
>1 day in Manchester
Why would you do that to yourself?
>>
>>1264578
could do Shropshire
>>
>>1262533
>Knaresbrough
laaaaaad
but yeah all these places are decent, fuck london
>>
>>1262475
seconding Eden, also I wouldn't bother with Cornwall unless you're hiring a car. It's a bitch to get around on public transport.

obligatory Lands End visit, but I guess LE is only really a britfag meme, don't think the sign has any interest elsewhere

St Ives is lovely, Penzance is full of heroin but muh pirates, get a helicopter to Scilly, avoid Falmouth and Newquay

>>1262512
Cornwall generally has great weather 70% of the time feb-oct, 30% mizzle. The beaches and cliffs are also beautiful.
>>
>>1266304
How wonderful!
>>
Really need help anons

how long will it take me to self transfer from heathrow terminal four to gatwick?
>>
>>1268201
Google bus or train Heathrow to Gatwick, then add one hour to get through immigration if, as I assume from your general helplessness, your flying in from the US.
>>
Whats there to do in december except whinge about the cold and rain?
>>
>>1268259
thanks for the sarcasm

but I need to know about potential traffic delays at that time
the airport shuttle says 70 minutes but there is a dirty little asterisk there
*dependent on traffic conditions

I also really need better info on immigration, last time I was in london there was a line of africans, sub-continentals and arabs two or three hours long in immigration
I was taken by immigration officers out of that line to the "low risk" desk, thus not having to wait

and I hear t4 is confusing and poorly laid out, I've been there before but it was a while ago and I cant remember how long it took me
>>
>>1262533
This, also i'm biased as a Yorkshireman myself. The cities are fairly shit but the country side is great. Not Yorkshire, but Derbyshire, which is the county just below, is well worth peeping out too, although probably not worth any huge detours.

+1 for the Moors, my favourite place in the UK and one of my favourite places on earth
>>
>>1268481
>+1 for the Moors, my favourite place in the UK and one of my favourite places on earth
Not OP, but just checked it out, looks cool, I think I'll drop by when I head up.
>>
File: hull-city.png (470KB, 963x355px) Image search: [Google]
hull-city.png
470KB, 963x355px
>>1262533

This, come to Yorkshire, it's class.

Check out Hull too if you're passing by, people take the piss and parts of it are rough, but the city centre has had millions spent on it and the old town and old dock areas are very cool, a lot of history and some very nice pubs.
>>
Hey guys.

I'm also going to the UK in August. Starting in the beginning though. I want to travel around and see historical sights, the countryside, nature, possibly beaches and pubs. I've been to London many times and also Manchester so I'll skip those two on this trip. I'll spend approximately 2 weeks give or take a few days there.

What can you recommend? Especially, what kind of route do you think I should take? Maybe I should just focus on one particular part of the country?
>>
>>1262468
>Planning on taking a trip to the U.K.
Don't
>>
>>1268642

Yorkshire
>>
>>1263678
>Liverpool has an interesting china town
No, it's awful. Barely anything there besides from restaurants that seems like fronts for money laundering and immigrants.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.