[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Portland, Oregon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: sheeeeit.jpg (57KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
sheeeeit.jpg
57KB, 500x375px
AM 24, living in shithole town in Tennessee with no jobs or opportunities for shit, poor, no car and am miserable. I'm thinking Portland will a safe city to run off to, via bus, and be able to find jobs and opportunities to actually live a life worth living. Am wondering if anyone here lives there and can tell me whether or not this is a good idea and what to do when I get there right off the bus. If not, give me legitimate reasons why I shouldn't do this. I feel like my youth and my mind are wasting away being trapped in the middle of nowhere here in the South.
>>
fuck off we're full.
>>
Lol, ah come on. If I'm wiling to work...
>>
Portland is a city that keeps getting whiter.
I've only ever been once but from what I hear it is maximum comfy.
It will be a different world than the black heavy south.
>>
Honestly sounds like I might look forward to it. Should I just fucking go and stop hesitating? Even if I might be homeless a while?
>>
File: char.jpg (126KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
char.jpg
126KB, 960x720px
I'm going to school there. It's a fun city for sure, but the weather fucking sucked this year, seriously some of the worst we've gotten in awhile.

Other than that, I don't really have many qualms, it's pretty comfy. The homeless population is pretty intense, but mostly harmless. Housing keeps getting more expensive, too, so a lot of people are starting to get kicked out (which is why it's getting whiter)-- which is a bummer.

I couldn't tell you much about the job market, but I imagine you could get buy, but unless you've got some ready cash on hand, it's unlikely you'd be able to live downtown. IIRC the north east near Vancouver, and South east, near Milwaukee are still the more affordable parts, but they're also pretty boring.

It's a nice city, but it's been pretty tense for the past month or so with the /pol/ protest and stabbings.
>>
>>1262045
also hipster bullshit: the city, but that stuff's never really bothered me, hipsters know how to eat. It's also nicely balanced out by old hippies and middle-aged yuppies. So there's that.
>>
>>1262045
>It's a nice city, but it's been pretty tense for the past month or so with the /pol/ protest and stabbings.
if one stabbing can make a city tense for an entire month, then it must be a really fucking nice city.
in most cities a stabbing hardly makes the nightly news
>>
>>1262046
What food do they got in Portland?
OP's coming from the land of BBQ and soul food so how does Portland compare?
>>
>>1262051
Let's not derail the thread, but two people were killed, and it was a racially motivated killing. One the guys killed recently graduated from my school as well, so everyone was pretty shook up. It's a small and tight-knit, it doesn't really surprise me that the stabbing got so much attention.
It also was sort of a culmination of a trend that had been happening for awhile. Oregon, especially Portland, is pretty sharply divided between Conservatives and Liberals. There've been a lot of clashes between Anti-Fa and whoever else, and Oregon reported the highest increase of Hate Crimes in the nation after the election.
So IDK man, it makes sense to me.

>>1262057
I'm from D.C originally, and I'm sorry to say that there ain't shit by way of BBQ in Portland. There are a couple decent places, but nothing really compares.

Portland's pretty good for most cuisines, food truck places usually provide a variety of different cuisines-- but Portland definitely lacks decent BBQ and decent Chinese.
Great Hawaiian, Japanese, and American food though.
There's also this place called The Chicken Coop in the SE that has some of the best fried chicken I've ever eaten.
>>
>>1262062
>murder for racial reasons is worse than murder for other reasons
The concept of a hate crime is so fucking retarded
>>
>>1262063
If you wanna argue take it to /pol/, this is a board about traveling.
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 552x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 552x750px
>Portland
>no flouride in the drinking water
>>
>>1262068
The tapwater fucking rules here, it's insane.
My parents live in California now and I can't believe the shit they're drinking, it's garbage there.
>>
>>1262069
Maine water > Oregon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> California
>>
>>1262038
>and be able to find jobs and opportunities
hahahaahahAHAHAHAHAHAA

There are thousands of 20-somethings here with college degrees applying for $12 jobs bussing tables. Idiots like you have ruined the rental market, too. Fuck off and go back to watching Portlandia on your phone.
>>
http://www.journal-news.com/news/hamilton-water-named-best-tasting-the-world/1I3CRPMtOvBxKjrA1iAPwN/

There's no need for a debate or a discussion that's already been settled.
>>
No need for unnecessary aggression. I'm just trying to find a good place to live, with a normal job like everyone else. I chose Portland as a possibility because of how safe it is, so fucking chill your tits.
>>
From one former transplant to a prospective one, weigh your options carefully.
>>
>>1262151
>I'm just trying to find a good place to live, with a normal job like everyone else.
Yes, and there's already too many of you dipshit kids moving here and clogging up the job market. Go fuck off to somewhere else.
>>
Go fuck yourself, I'll do whatever I want. I don't owe anyone a goddamn thing, I'm looking out for number 1.
>>
>>1262199
Oh, okay. Have fun collecting empty bottles for nickels like the rest of the hobos.
>>
Portland is just an option anyway. I just wanted other people's thoughts on it. You didn't have to be a dick about it.
>>
>>1262221
>You didn't have to be a dick about it.
first day on 4chan?
not that guy by the way
>>
>>1262038
I'd avoid major cities if you can't pay rent for a few months first. Get a bicycle and come to a tourist town in Florida, there are many and the rent doesn't inflate due to state law. You most likely will not be too well received in places like Portland as they suffer from rent inflation. Same goes for places like san francisco, austin, and denver.
>>
File: Portlandia_608_Episodic[1].jpg (247KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Portlandia_608_Episodic[1].jpg
247KB, 1920x1080px
>>1262094
Not thats there is anything wrong with Portlandia...
>>
>>1262182
Why how did you end up?
>>
portland seems pretty nice OP, been there a handful of times.

but really how easy is it to just up and leave to a new city? i live in socal right now and id love to just leave to a north state
>>
>>1262221
He doesn't, but the entire premise of your thread (and the daily dozen threads like it) is fucking stupid. If you are a loser in TN what makes you think anything will be different on the other side of the country? You could do literally the exact same thing ('run away/be free' lol) at any number of cities near you (Nashville, St. Louis, etc) which all have considerably cheaper housing costs and more job opportunities.

>I feel like my youth and my mind are wasting away being trapped in the middle of nowhere here in the South.
The show Portlandia is literally a parody of morons like you who move here to waste their lives as a barista.
>>
>>1262057
I have heard that the country's best pizza places are in not New York and Chicago, but Portland and Atlanta. Weird
>>
>>1262151
Safe as far as violent crime goes. Property crime is a totally different story. Cars get broken into and if you don't have your bike locked up inside it's as good as gone.
>>
>>1262039

fuck portland, its ungodly expensive because of cali transplants fleeing the bay area. everyone votes with their bleeding heart, and then wonders why taxes keep going up. the weather blows; its rainy and overcast about 2/3-3/4 of the year. way too many smug white liberals espousing the virtues of diversity while pricing out anyone who isnt a trust fund barista or a tech yuppie. traffic is miserable due to the sudden influx of people.

BUT

its safe, there are a lot of restaurants and bars, a lot of bands/artists come through, and a lot of hot girls in their 20's live here.

4/10, glad to be moving
>>
>>1262609
>too many white people
Yeah, no, I'm okay with that.
>>
>>1262038
You don't want to sleep in the Portland streets.

Portland sorta sucks ass. Apartments are expensive compared to min-wage.
>>
IT WAS NICE UNTIL FAGGOTS LIKE YOU MOVED HERE
FUCK YOU
FUCK
YOU
DON'T COME HERE EAT SHIT
EAT MY SHIT
DIE IN A FUCKING FIRE CUNT WE DON'T WANT YOU
FUCKING WIGGER TRASH
>>
>>1262567
You have heard wrong, hope this clears things up
>>
>>1262609
Where are you moving to?
>>
>>1262716
>le keep portland weird
fuck off, portland ALWAYS sucked. the only thing good were the crazy prison-city bitches
>>
>>1262038
Is it true that the women in Portland are all toxic?
>>
>>1262740
On a similar note, why the fuck isn't there any good pizza delivery here?

Scottie's is OK at best
>>
>>1262859
>the women in Portland are all toxic?
Never heard this. It's your pretty typical mix of basic white girls, tattooed hipsters, etc. Not really any different from any other American city, except less minorities.
>>
>>1262038
honestly just look into moving to nashville, it will be cheaper and easier, and there's enough going on there. portland is an expensive college campus
>>
portland housing is expensive, but besides that pretty great. My hometown.

You can also stay with me if you want. Friends and I are about to get a place together.

Its super comfy here. Any specific questions? a lot to do constantly. Helps if youre 21, but not necessary.
>>
>>1262038
Portland was over about a decade ago. I was squatting an abandoned brownstone that is now full of 3000 a month studios. It was good fun from the 70s to 90s. Now it is yuppie fuck fest. Sort of still junky though. Check out Sandy past 82nd where real Portland still exists... Sorta.
>>
>>1263517
BTW, just move to Ashland
>>
Any portlanders wanna hang out? i live here.
>>
>>1262741
back to rejoin the maryland master race. scouting jobs in baltimore and dc at the moment.

>>1262038
just move to louisville, theres plenty of work there and rentals are dirt cheap. i lived there for 2 years and loved it.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.