[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 20

File: Film5483_21.jpg (3MB, 3089x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Film5483_21.jpg
3MB, 3089x2048px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese.
What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1259425
>>
I only went to Japan a month ago but I'm already thinking about my next trip, whenever that will be.
I went to most of the major cities and I'm imagining exploring off the beaten trail. I just discovered the Oki Islands and they look quite incredible. I could imagine spending a week exploring them. Has anyone been?
Kagoshima also looks pretty cool. I imagine you could spend some time exploring Kyushu.
Anyway, not making any plans just enjoying the imagination.
Are there any cool out-of-the-way places you guys have been to?
>>
>>1262029
>The average height for Japanese women is 5 feet 2 inches, while their American counterparts average in at 5 feet four inches. The height of women runs the gamut, but tall is generally considered to be around 5 foot six or 5 foot seven.

I'm 5,8 and looking at a foreign exchange program this fall, will I be disappointed?
>>
>>1262029
https://youtu.be/yWB2DtVytuo
字幕をオンにしてください。
Please turn on subtitles.
>>
Is it basically true that Yen is perfered most everywhere compared to electronic payment?

Thinking about doing
>1500~1750 USD yen in currency exchange prior to leaving
>Get additional ~3000 USD out via 711's

From my research it seems like you can get out a good amount of cash from 711's with Wells Fargo for a nominal fee of like 5 dollars. If anyone has any insight into this plan or done something like this I am all ears
>>
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but ill ask anyway (my first time on this board)

is there a standard itinerary for a 2 week trip for 3 people?

from google i'm getting Tokyo 4-6 night, Kyoto 3-5 nights (including day trips to Osaka/nara) and maybe Hiroshima or something?

We would also like to stay in a traditional hotel thingy for one night with possible.
>>
>>1262035
I did two weeks of Kyushu on my last trip, was pretty cool. Planning a two week trip to Shikoku for next month atm
>>1262074
not sure about Wells Fargo but yes 7/11 and Postbank ATM usually accept most credit/debit cards. And yes, cash is still king over there, especially once you leave the city.
>>1262086
I'd do 7 nights Tokyo, 4 nights Kyoto with a side trip to Osaka and Nara (each). Maybe add 1-2 nights in Hiroshima though I haven't been there. For the traditional hotel thingy (called a Ryokan), I would recommend Hakone (mountainous region west of Tokyo with lots of hot spring baths and nice nature)
>>
>>1262074
where are you planning to convert your money prior to leaving? I'm moving there soon and I'm in search of a place to convert USD to JPY at the moment. I'm with Chase if that makes any difference.
>>
>>1262086
I'd do a week in tokyo, 1-2 Nights in Kyoto, 1-2 Nights in Osaka/Kobe/Nara, an afternoon/night in Hiroshima, and then a day thing around mount Fuji. Takayama is also pretty cool if you like some old history.

Kyoto is cool but nearly every post I've seen relating to going to Kyoto visiting is that you can knock out most of it in a day. Osaka is basically an hour away and getting between the two cities is fairly simple and quick.
>>
>>1262097
Travelex for the first 1500 or so, I can go through my bank but didn't really see a reason to compared to stopping by one of their locations.

Basically I would convert everything through ATM's in japan but I want to have some cash available incase my card gets flagged for something stupid and I have to call wells fargo for an unblock.
>>
>>1262099
ah okay, just be careful Anon I've heard that Travelex has ridiculous rates compared to other things.
>>
>>1262093
>>1262098
thanks for the input. At the moment i'm looking at:
Tokyo - 6 nights
Hakone (ryokan) - 1 night
Kyoto 6 nights - day trips to Osaka, Nara, Hiroshima

How does this sound? I don't do much travelling and i'm trying to figure out what would be the logical order to do this in. I'd also like to see some nature but i'm not really sure what is available.
>>
>>1262101
Yeah they aren't the best but still better than my bank, I might be doing something less actually. Looks like if I order online with some places I can get a bit more. Bank of America actually seems to have good exchange rates, only taking around 100USD for the transaction.

Really just want to have a somewhat safe amount of Yen when I land without having to worry or get screwed over at my destination.
>>
I've been reading a lot about places to see in and around Tokyo and I was thinking about the following:
Mon 10/7: Arrive late at night
Tue 11/7: Shinjuku (Golden Gai, Tokyo Tocho, Government building, Shinjuku station, etc), Ropongi
Wed 12/7: Day trip to Hakone
Thu 13/7: Tsukiji fish market, Tokyo Station, Imperial Gardens, Akihabara, Ginza
Fri 14/7: Day trip to Kamakura
Sat 15/7: Not sure what to do on this weekend day except sleep in (I think I'll be tired from the two day trips for sure)
Sun 16/7: Harujuku (Takeshita dori street, meiji shrine, yoyogi park, shibuya)
Mon 17/7: Asakusa, Ueno
Tue 18/7: Check out and figure out where to spend the afternoon (late night flight)
Any suggestions or improvements? I'm interested in food, cool bars, architecture, culture, events, meeting some people at night perhaps. Less interested in shopping (but I've got that covered in Akihabara, Ginza and Harujuku I think) and not that interested in going inside museums.
>>
What's up with the new anti-terrorism law that just passed? Is Japan going full fascist again?
>>
>>1262130
Hakone can be done as a day trip, but I'd recommend an overnight stay as it's going to be pretty rushed otherwise.

For your free day, you could try to go a bit off the typical tourist sites and maybe visit something less frequented. Can recommend the Yanaka area (e.g. a stroll up from Ueno park past the Yanaka cemetery to Rikugien, a really nice Japanese garden) or maybe Kagurazaka. Shimokitazwa is also nice for a hipster-y side of Tokyo
>>
>>1262103
Sounds pretty good, only reason I believe kyoto is normally said as it is a day trip is because after shrine 248 you generally have seen enough shrines/temples to last your fill. Personally I would stay in Osaka and just shoot back and forth between destinations. I'd make Hiroshima a day trip assuming you are doing the JR pass and don't mind waking up early to catch a train there. There might be some good things outside the nuke site and museum but I really can't find all that much.
>>
Dumb question but want to double check my research
>buy JR pass online
>arrive in japan
>go to trainstation
>swipe pass
>pass then starts it's 7/14/21 day clock to expiration on first swipe
>repeat till pass expires

Going to a few places outside tokyo, just want to double check so I am not stranded in the boonies somewhere

Also is it true I can use this with some bus routes?
>>
So I'm leaving Japan from Haneda at 11 PM of the 18th, and I check out at 10 AM. Where can I put my luggage / is there anything interesting around Haneda to do while waiting for the flight?
>>
>>1262244
No, that's wrong. When you buy a JR pass, what are actually getting is a voucher. Once you arrive in Japan, you go to a JR ticket office and exchange the voucher for a pass and you specify what date do you want the pass to go into effect. At the train stations, you have to show your pass to the station staff to gain access to the train platform.
>>
>>1262251
The pass last 90 days right?
>>
>>1262293
No. The pass lasts anywhere from several days to 21 days, depending on which one you buy.
>>
>>1262293
JR pass lasts 7, 14, or 21 days
>>
File: 1428790714148.png (42KB, 846x592px) Image search: [Google]
1428790714148.png
42KB, 846x592px
>>1262029
how can i run off to japan and find the love of my life
>>
>>1262296
So if I plan to stay for 3 months, I should get multiple passes? I plan to travel all over Japan.
Do you get to decide the starting date of the pass to the end date? Or it start the day you change it to a voucher.
>>
>>1262304
Step 1: Get a degree
Step 2: Do a short TEFL course
Step 3: Find an English teaching job in Japan
Step 4: Apply for a working visa
Step 5: Find an apartment to rent, there are sites that list apartments that foreigners can rent for short terms (<12 months).
Step 6: Book your flight to Japan
Step 7: Find a single gal at your workplace and ask her out
Step 8: Woo her and hopefully she will like you back, failing this; repeat Step 7 until someone bites
Step 9: Live a happy life in Japan
>>
>>1262304
>>1262314
not the same anon but it's surprisingly easy to get an English teaching job if you're not some full on mongoloid with any degree. I just got a job recently and the interview process felt like it was literally just them seeing if I had a pulse and a personality. I'm leaving next Monday actually so I will live out your dream for you, friend.
>>
I'm putting together an itinerary for my trip to Shikoku and could use some input. I'll be arriving in Tokyo and also leaving from there (29.7-18.7). Here's what I have so far:

31.7: Tokyo to Okyama. I want to try to travel using only the Seishun 18 ticket, so this is going to take me 12 hours.
1-3.8: Okayama to Naoshima+2 night stay -> is two nights too much for Naoshima? I'm considering cutting this time down to one night.

3-5.8: Shodoshima. Mostly want to see the rice terraces there.

5-7.8: Matsuyama with a side trip to Ozu or somewhere else.

7-10.8: ??? I want to see the Iya Valley but not sure if it's worth 3 nights there. Any other suggestions?

10-11.8: Tokushima to see the Awa Odori festival

10-12.8: Back to Tokyo

How does this look? Anything I absolutely shouldn't miss there or could skip on my list?

Thanks!
>>
>>1262313
You can decide the starting date independent of the date you change it for the pass.
In your case you're either gonna have to get multiple ones or get one and combine it with other passes.
Also plan it out properly, e.g. if you want to stay in one city for a long time, activate it at the end of your stay in the city, then do a lot of short stays and end up in another city where you're gonna stay for longer.
>>
File: 222592e.jpg (55KB, 400x598px) Image search: [Google]
222592e.jpg
55KB, 400x598px
Any ideas to the cost of living in Japan? I want to guage how much I can save if I decide to travel there or work there.

Is it even possible to earn a living and save money as a blue collar worker or teacher in Japan while just being middle class essentially in terms of income and way of living.
>>
>>1262387
>Is it even possible to earn a living and save money as a blue collar worker
No, unless a big company does you a good one and transfers you there and sponsors your work visa and shit slim to no chance. US government work is more likely though.

> teacher in Japan while just being middle class essentially in terms of income and way of living.

English teacher is far more likely and pretty much your best shot
>>
>>1262424
I see, thanks!

Do you mind me asking for the est. Living costs in suburban or perhaps big city Japan (water, rent, housing, electricity, net, gas/fare)?
>>
>>1262387
For a westerner it might be tough if you are used to owning a car and a house with a lawn. Bills add up really quick.
>>
>>1262473
Renting a 1200 sq. ft home in Sasebo, Kyushu cost me about 27 million yen a month and that house had one car parking and about 5 ft of lawn on all sides.
>>
>>1262485
And no utilities included. Everything was extra.
>>
>>1262485
>>1262487
At the current exchange rate 27 million yen is $243,633.96 USD. For a 1200 sq. ft house with a small lawn, plus no utilities included. That is absolutely outrageous. I am having a hard time believing that you were able to afford that unless you were very wealthy or had a large amount of assistance from someone. Please correct me if I am wrong, I'm just simply curious how someone could afford to pay almost a quarter million dollars a month for such a small house.
>>
>>1262489
2.7 million . Sorry. Decimal off.
>>
>>1262490
Further correction. 270000. Fuck. I'll see myself out.
>>
>>1262490
>>1262492
It's all good. That makes a hell of a lot more sense than 27 million.
>>
>>1262492
It was a nice house though. They took the tatami mats out, probably because they rent to gaijin all the time. Ohgata cho is a really nice neighborhood.
>>
>>1262314
>Step 1: Get a degree
damn that's the biggest 'step 1' i've ever seen
>>
>>1262324
what's you pay?
is it actually a decent living or is it more of a "labor of love" thing for people who just really want to live in japan?
>>
Wait, can you only use an ATM if you have a Wells Fargo account?
>>
>>1262324

>got a job recently
>leaving next monday

Are you one of those retards that falls for visa fraud? If you are moving before you have processed your visa, you are gonna get arrested and deported.
>>
>>1262542
Yeah, but you have to pay a $5 fee everytime you withdraw money from an ATM
>>
>>1262510
270,000 monthly salary, the company also found my apartment and will settle me in accordingly. I think it's up to 55,000 yen that's deducted for rent automatically from the base salary (bonuses available if you resign contract). other expenses like food and utilities are on me though. check out the website if you want, all that info + more are on there. www.aeonet.com. I think it's decent if you're single and don't spend much a month, which is what I do. I'm also only really using it to get my foot into Japan, after that I'm going to look for another job that uses my degree.
>>
>>1262542
>>1262563
the ATMs over there accept Visa, MasterCard, and a bunch of other ones. you can check on the 7/11 website for Japan, it'll tell you what cards the ATMs accept.
>>
>>1262552
nah, sorry by recently I meant in like March. I've gotten my work visa and everything in order from the Japanese consulate.
>>
>>1262565
>living in Asia outside of Japan
FUCK. So if I ever get invited for an interview I need to go to Japan?
>>
>>1262604
I think they do video interviews, over skype and shit like that
>>
File: IMG_20170617_105916452_HDR.jpg (4MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170617_105916452_HDR.jpg
4MB, 4608x2592px
In the imperial gardens rn feeling good.
>>
>>1262566
This. Also, you can withdraw money for free. Some checking accounts offer completely fee free ATM withdrawals. I think Ally is one. Charles Schwab is another, and that's what I use for international ATM withdrawals.
>>
>>1262565
so how does that 270k compare to your cost of living? like what's your extra income at the end of each month?
I kind of want to spend a few years doing that, but I have loan payments to make
>>
>>1262619
I would also want to know this.
>>
>>1262604
what >>1262605 said, the "first" interview was over skype and they just asked me basic questions like why I'm interested in this, what kind of area am I looking for (urban/rural/etc), and it was just kind of just a basic "get to know you" kind of interview. I think they just get a feel of what type of person you are and see if you're fit for the company. side note, if you DO decide with this company and get a skype interview (which isn't that hard btw, you really just have to apply and you're likely to get a skype interview) then MAKE SURE you wear proper clothing when the interview takes place. I know it sounds weird, but they make you stand up to see if you're wearing pants and to see how well spoken you are. aka, dress like a real interview and not an online interview where you'd only wear the top part of your work ensemble. the whole interview process is like 15 minutes, and if they like you they'll invite you to the group interview that happens in person. depending on what location you are, you'll have to go to the recruiting location for the interview (for me this was in Austin, TX -- 4 hour commute, one of the shortest commute times out of the interview group..). if you don't fuck that up then you're good to go. if you have more questions about this I'm more than happy to answer.

>>1262619
>>1262641
well as you know this will really depend on how you like to live. it'll break down like this:
270,000 a month - (up to) 55,000 for rent which leaves 215,000 a month. we'll say utilities (fast internet, water, etc) would be 16,000 (~150 USD) to bring it down to 199,000, or around $1800 USD for whatever else you need to spend on. my mobile provider offers coverage in Japan & my work requires me to have a working phone number so I'm not spending any extra monthly on a phone bill, but that adds another like ~50USD (5,000 - 6,000 yen) to the mix. this is before taxes keep in mind, and I definitely don't even spend near $100-150 a month so I should be set.
>>
>>1262656
I have bad interview anxiety... blush a lot, stutter, heart racing, run out of things to say, lose my voice, etc. Not a total fuckin autist or shut-in or anything, but its a diagnosed condition.

How do Japanese interviewers judge compared to American (or Brit) ones? Will they throw you application in the trash if you aren't some super chatty, loud, bubbly, constantly smiling subservient yet confident extrovert? Or are they even harsher with that kind of stuff?

I usually pop xanax or something similar before an important interview, but I'm not going to risk having drugs in my system whenever I get into the country....
>>
>>1262656
why is rent so expensive? is it less so in suburban or rural places?

270k Yen is pretty big here but I am worried that I won't save enough to grant me financial security in the foreseeable future. I was planning to aim for JET but they don't have permanent positions and just offer 1-3 years of work and not to mention I hear it is very competitive.
>>
>>1262660
>why is rent so expensive? is it less so in suburban or rural places?

Japan has a shit load of people and little usable land mass given how many farms it needs to support itself.
>>
>>1262659
yeah anon I feel you, I was in the same exact boat. I'm fairly introverted and choose not to socialize as much as I can. the interviewers were American and as far as I can tell the interview process is ran by 3 people, none of them being Japanese. they're very lenient and are *really* just looking to meet you and get to know you during the interview process. my only advice is to keep a calm mind and be as confident as much as you want to move over. there's two sides of teachers, you can be bubbly + over the top or you can be informative and to the point. you might be thinking too hard into it, it's a really chill process. a good thing about this company in general is that they basically want a 20/80 teacher/student interaction, so the teacher is not doing much of the talking in general, they're just there to lead and help. drugs are also forbidden in Japan in general, so don't bring any with you. you can take some for the interview if it'll make you feel better, just don't bring it into Japan. if you want more examples of the types of teachers and how teaching is like, look up "AEON - Living and Working in Japan" on youtube. it's worth the watch if you're genuinely interested.

>>1262660
yeah it's definitely area dependent. I'm living in western Tokyo, so I can see paying up to 55k. I'm sure if you're in the rural farm areas then it'll be cheaper, but I'm okay with spending 55k to be in between downtown and the countryside. JET is a fucking bitch to apply for and is indeed really competitive, not to mention you'll be teaching in public schools which means you might have students that misbehave or don't want to listen, which is another reason why I didn't go with JET. AEON is an eikaiwa (private school) so students there are paying good money to attend so I know they want to be there.
>>
>>1262663
>>1262665
I see. My verbal english skills are shit because I'm a fucking autist.

I still need to finish my studies though to be attractive to the nips because I am not a native speaker and all. So I got time I guess.
>>
>>1262656
>270,000 a month

welp, i earn way more than this at my current job, i was thinking of teaching in Asia but may have to reconsider
>>
>>1262666

yeah I actually know some people that weren't native English speakers but still landed some jobs. just look around and as long as you have a sufficient education in English you're good. there's some specifications to this but just know you're not completely out.

>>1262667
yeah it's not much. there's of course bonuses for staying (80k/120k/160k) but still isn't too high. personally I like it because I wanna experience the adventure and I'm a fresh grad so.. I might as well do it now before I settle down for a career while I still have the time.
>>
>>1262669
I went to an (recruiting) agency recently and they ask way too much money for Japanese language training for their student visa program ($1000 inital + $6000-8000 for 2 year year training course)

I almost despaired because I don't have enough money for that path and JET seemed to be not viable.
>>
>>1262672
nah places actually prefer for you not to know any Japanese.. just do your own research. look up the pros and cons of working with JET, Interac, AEON, etc. there's also sites like gaijinpot and ohayou-sensei that recruit. gaijinpot is extremely helpful and easy to use so I suggest looking there, ohayou is more of like a classifieds newspaper section. just look around -- knowing Japanese will only help you outside of work by being able to get around and interact with people usually.
>>
>>1262674
>nah places actually prefer for you not to know any Japanese
really? I always see on the requirements that they add more points for people who know a bit of Japanese
>>
People in Tokyo - How's everyone spending their Saturday night?
>>
>>1262050
By what?
>>
>>1262660
>why is rent so expensive?
Damn, I live in NYC and my first thought upon seeing that rent price was "hey, that's pretty cheap." Man, fuck this city.
>>
>>1262694
I haven't decided, but I was going to take it easy to go to the Yoyogi flea market tomorrow morning.
>>
>>1262351
Anyone?
>>
Is buying a Green Car Shinkansen ticket really worth it? I'm able to afford it but was wondering if there is any notable differences between a Green Car and regular seat.
>>
I'm visiting Japan in a couple of weeks and would like to go to a Keirin race (I'm a cyclist myself), does anyone know where I can book a ticket either online or at a ticket office in Tokyo?
>>
>>1262715
Na
>>
File: 73f2f4145ac9035bcaa61da21817da6b.jpg (107KB, 736x1108px) Image search: [Google]
73f2f4145ac9035bcaa61da21817da6b.jpg
107KB, 736x1108px
Can someone please help me find this location? I know it's in Odaiba, but I haven't had any luck finding out anything else. I'd really appreciate it..
>>
>>1262718
Same anon here.

I found a velodrome nearby where I'm staying in Tokyo, the Keiokaku Velodrome. But I am having trouble trying to find out the race days, is someone able to find out for me?
http://www.keiokaku.com/schedule/
I will be in Tokyo early July.
>>
>>1262723
the soho
>>
>>1262734
Thank you so much, anon
>>
Does anyone know of any gluten free cafes and restaurants in Tokyo?

I don't choose to have a gluten free diet, I have coeliac disease.
>>
>>1262749
Isn't rice gluten free?
>>
>>1262715
No. Regular seats are already double the space you'd get on a standard economy flight.
>>
>>1262731
Hey, this sounds like fun and would love to attend. I'll also be in Tokyo during early July
>>
>>1262314
>Get a degree
>Work for a pittance teaching English in Japan
seriously?
>>
>>1262686
well, I'm just saying what my interviewer told me. Japanese wasn't required at all for my company, it's just good to know for myself to get around and such. the students are really there for one reason anyway, and that's English. could be different depending on which company though!
>>
>>1262822
I'd do it, considering my degree has gotten me jack shit for a job (1250/month job as tech slave at school campus, which bumps to 25k/yr by august)
>tfw fell for STEM meme
>>
>>1262351

fuck off with the 'here is my entire schedule tell me what to do lulz' faggot
>>
>>1262314
Yeah I am getting a computer science degree here in America. So I will need to decide if its even worth it to miss out on how ever much money I could be making

Theres probably still Japanese girls in America some places too
>>
>>1262850
CS degree here. I started at my current job in 2015, $40k. Up to $60k now. My brother was also a CS major and started at $60k and is somewhere around $70k now IIRC. It depends heavily who you work for and what you're doing within the CS field, but $40k is generally the entry-level salary.
>>
>>1262829
aoen anon right?
>>
>>1262872
yup that's me
>>
When does the olympic tourism boom usually start? A year before? The same year the games are being held?
>>
Do Japanese girls like gingers?
>>
>>1262837
what else should I do? Say "I'm going there for two weeks, plan my itinerary?"

kys faggot
>>
>>1262944
months before, at least that's what happened in London back in 2012
>>
>>1262955
no one does
>>
>>1262955
No. The whole appeal of foreigners (brutish Americans in particular) is the whole "big, strong, rough" feeling. Gingers feel weak, wispy, delicate. They offer nothing.
>>
>meet cute hippy jap girl
>have long conversations with her
>we joke around and she teaches me random Japanese words
>we exchange emails and she waves me goodbye as I leave on a bus

I think I'm in love, lads
>>
>>1263029
Sounds like you got caught by a gaijin hunter.
>>
>>1263029
Did you guys have conversation in Japs?
>>
>>1263029
speaking of conversations

is there a site where you can converse/"teach"/help nips with their english? with a bit of pay might be nice.
>>
>>1262969
>>1263027
Jokes on you dudes

I fucked a sexy Japanese broad on Friday night and Asian women generally flock to me.

Was seeing if yall would lie to me.
>>
>>1263032
No she spoke English. She was originally from Tokyo but she's a traveler herself. u doubt she was romantically interested but she stole my heart, no homo.
>>
File: degenerate.jpg (45KB, 561x401px) Image search: [Google]
degenerate.jpg
45KB, 561x401px
>>1262029
>going to tokyo Disney with wife and her friend
>wifes friend has a full sleeve tattoo
>worried about getting access to Disney Sea

What do you guys think? I know the disney website says that tattoos arent allowed, so I am not to optomostic about them letting her in .
>>
>>1263033
>nips
Fuck off
>>
>>1263039
she'll be fine, only onsens and other traditional japanese places care about tattoos
>>
>>1263039
Its usually just onsen that are strict about it. I didn't even know that was a rule at Disney, but she should just make an attempt to cover it up. I doubt they'll care unless shes wearing a tank top
>>
>>1263039
Foreigners won't have any trouble. The tattoo thing is a way to avoid yakuza -- you get this at lots of places actually. People made faces at my tattoos when I'd be at restaurants and stuff, but if you're worried about it, just wear a long sleeve shirt.
>>
>>1262035
Was this your first INT trip- have you been out of country prior?
>>
>>1262324
Disagree with this. Yes, you don't neccessarily need to be super qualified or anything, but the visa process is not particularly easy. If you are hoping to land a teaching job, but are applying from a place outside of japan, your options are far more limited. alot of companies won't support your application/go to the trouble of sourcing someone from overseas.
plus, even if you do land a job, you are subject to the conditions of the school, some of which are pretty stressful (ie: long hours, all teaching hours, big classes etc..).
>>
>>1263062
Despite what the school will say, you can immediately quit/switch jobs after getting the visa if its a particularly bad school. Someone in my training said she had a job offer but the school wasn't willing to pay for her visa.
>>
>>1263033
check out hellotalk? I think on the app store. good way to find someone learning or if you're trying to learn.
>>
>>1263062
yeah that's true, there are a lot of places that only want to hire/interview you if you are already residing in Japan, but it's not particularly hard if you look in the right places. some of the companies I mentioned previously help you with everything for your visa application. you usually just have to bring your passport + visa application + COE (which they get for you once you provide them the necessary information, like diploma etc) to your nearest Japanese Consulate or send it in via mail and then everything is set to go. only if you look for the right companies, though.
>>
>>1263034
>will japanese girls fuck me? p-please guys...
>no
>no
>HAHA, TH-THEY A-ALREADY DID, I WAS JUST T-TROLLING YOU GUYS I'M SEXY AND WOMEN LOVE ME
>>
>>1263039
Honestly, we can't tell you. If the official statement says no, prepare to get turned away. If you don't, hey, nice. But don't plan your trip around it going in your favor.
>>
>>1263039
Japan is a little more lenient towards foreigners about that policy, but at least make the effort to cover it up or she'll be getting a lot of faces
>>
Who wants to team up to bring over the harajuku crepe industry stateside
>>
>>1263071
>sex is so unattainable for me it is almost mythical in nature
>anyone that claims to have sex must be lying!
Honestly dude I wouldn't listen to any advice on here about getting with girls, as I just demonstrated it is atrocious
>>
>>1263042
kek fucken weebs.
>>
I think I'll remove the sections about living and teaching in Japan temporarily from the next thread. This is a travel board, but 90%+ of conversation ITT has developed into what would be better fitted on /int/ whIle travel questions become more rarely answered properly
>>
>>1263155
This. Seems like these threads are less and less about traveling in Japan, and more about teaching/working in Japan. Great travel tips have been almost non-existent for a few threads...
>>
I'll be visit Tokyo for the second time in November and my bf asked me to find some cool clubs and bars, especially in Ginza. I just know some in Harajuku and Shibuya and nothing else... can somebody help me?
>>
>>1262718
>>1262731
bump on this please
>>
I hung out here until about December last year, and I just got enough time to go back to the general.
What actually happened with Autismo-kun? Last I heard, he was claiming he'd come to the meetup, and when I came back, there weren't any posts by him for ages back.
I was almost hoping we could have heard if he was as much of a sperg in real life or even where he was from, but I figure he was a no-show.
>>
>>1263171
Samboa bar, old school bubble economy whiskey bar
>>
How feasible is this itinerary? Are my days not too packed?

Tue: Ikebukuro + Shinjuku
Wed: Hakone
Thu: Tsukiji fish market + Ginza + Imperial palace gardens + Tokyo station
Fri: Kamakura + Enoshima
Saturday: Akihabara + Ropongi
Sunday: Harujuku + Meiji shrine + yoyogi park + Shibuya
Mon: Ueno + Asakusa + Odaiba
Tue: Check out of hotel and maybe go to Nakano broadway for a bit
>>
Could I move to Japan and get a job as a chemical engineer?
>>
>>1263261
Do you speak Japanese, do you have the qualifications to be a chemical engineer and is there any reason why a company would benefit hiring you over a Japanese chemical engineer?

Unless you answered yes to all three of these questions then your chances of getting a job as a chemical engineer in Japan are almost 0.
>>
>>1263226
Dude that's spot on. Enjoy it
>>
File: dnmap[1].gif (21KB, 315x305px) Image search: [Google]
dnmap[1].gif
21KB, 315x305px
I'm going to Hokkaido this august for some hiking. There are all these neat national parks and the like in the central and northern parts, but are there any good places to hike in the southern parts, i.e. on the Oshima peninsula
>>
Is climbing Fuji worth it?
I'm going to do it for a night but the next day I have to check out of my hotel in hachioji at 10. Sunset is probably around 5. Then I have to decent form the mountain and it's a 3 hour bus and train ride both directions.
>>
File: Woman-Art.jpg (2MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Woman-Art.jpg
2MB, 2000x2000px
4 more weeks, I can't take the wait. I've been filling the time with looking at pics from other people.
>>
File: IMG_20170618_130105239.jpg (4MB, 2592x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170618_130105239.jpg
4MB, 2592x4608px
What a place Harajuku is
>>
If anyone likes ambient music, and you've been to Japan, I am certain you will enjoy this

https://youtu.be/GeP4raOixjk
>>
>>1263429
>ambient music
what you posted is neither ambient nor music, anon
>>
How do I meet people while having sub-par language skills?
>>
Has anyone flown with Star Flyer? I'm flying from Tokyo to Fukuoka and this airline has the cheapest tickets, but I can't find any reviews t know if they're good or not.
>>
I have diarrhea. What is Japanese-Pepto Bismal?
>>
>>1263444
It's a Japanese LCC. Compare to Southwest, Spirit, Frontier, etc. If you're fine with the legroom (seatguru) and any applicable baggage fees, do you really want to be picky when it's a sub-2 hour flight?
>>
>>1262029

Hey guys I just have a visa question I was hoping you could clarify (I've already spoken to the consulate and immigration but I don't really know if something was lost in translation)

So I got a working holiday visa issued in september last year that is valid till september this year. I was allowed to stay in Japan for 6 months with the option to extend a year.

I arrived in November and left in March. I made sure to get a special leaving permit that allowed me to retain my residence card and my visa, this permit is valid for a year.

My initial 6 months is over at this point and I did not extend.

If I return to Japan is it possible to extend my visa an additional year (from the point the initial 6 months would have ended).

Cheers.
>>
finally I got the tickets to Japan, I will travel two weeks.
What´s best, stay at hotels or at departments or houses at rent?
Also I will be in Tokyo in Halloween, any advice on where to go? like festival or such?
>>
>>1263144
>anyone that claims to have sex must be lying!
Not at all what I was implying. Now, people who specifically ask about whether or not having sex is an attainable goal for them, get told no, then respond by insisting that they were just joking and have definitely already totally for sure boned the chicks they were just asking about, yeah, they're lying.
>>
>>1263116
If you don't live in a flyover state, it's already here. I live in NYC and I see new fancy, colorful, upscale, trendy crepe places popping up every day. When I visit my friends in CA and other east coast cities it's the same.
>>
>>1263155

Not a bad idea. I don't think banning the discussion of the topics outright would be necessary, but removing them from the OP would probably invite less discussion on them in general so that when they do pop up it's less intrusive.
>>
>>1263336
It's gonna be kickass, dude. I love seeing people getting hyped for travel. Hope you enjoy yourself.
>>
>>1263442

Go to a language meetup. Two birds, one stone.
>>
>>1263576
I'm still months away but I can't get it out of my head.

>>1263535
Would like to know about Halloween as well.
>>
>>1263312
check out the day before then. And yes, it's generally worth it imo.
>>
File: geri.jpg (482KB, 1854x918px) Image search: [Google]
geri.jpg
482KB, 1854x918px
>>1263477
Take your pick (except for the pet ones).

You could just go into a drug store, find a staff member and say "geri" while rubbing your tummy. That'd do it, too.
>>
>>1263034
KEK.
>>
I'll be going back to Japan next week, any tips on things to do? I'm 1/4 Nip, can speak some conversational Japanese, staying with family, and have seen all the sights.
Any suggestions? Will being part Japanese help in bars and such? I've read that nationalism is pretty big there again, but I don't even look half.
>>
I'm stuck in korean shinjuku and I'm lonely as fug. Beware of airbnb my friends.
>>
Hello, I'm Italian and I just went to a travel agency to talk about going to Tokyo and Kyoto in late September with my family (4 adults) and I was told to book a tour because for first timers it's hard to go alone, since people don't speak English, streets don't have names or house numbers and signs are only in Japanese. Said tour would last 9 days and cost us a total of 3k€/person excluding meals and souvenirs. Given this is a pretty big sum I was considering braving it without the tour (just looking at skyscanner made the trip 1k cheaper) and just plan ahead like I always did when travelling to other countries. What do you experts think?
>>
>>1263621
Either get a pocket wifi or a sim card with cellular data for while you're there. Google maps has the public transport schedule which will make going places ludicrously easy.
>>
What shoes do you guys recommend for summer weather? I'm going July 19th and I think normal shoes might be too hot.
>>
>>1263621
You don't need that shit. As long as your phone works, you have access to Internet, and you download hyperdia you will be fine.
>>
>>1263621
3000 Euro is way over kill, are you staying in 5 star hotels and have the guide 24/7 ?
>>
>>1263523
Just stay there anyway, what are they going to do when they realise your visa is out of date? As far as I know you can only get the working holiday visa once so it's not like you are going to ruin future opportunities by overstaying this one. Are you working the ski season ?
>>
>>1263626
It's not just the guide it includes flights and trains or so I understand
>>
>>1263627

The place I want to work at requires a valid visa unfortunately so I need it to be valid. The whole thing is so convoluted though that I am not sure if it is or not though.

If it's not I have another opportunity that offers a sponsorship but I would rather not do that.
>>
>>1263610
Why what happened on airbnb?
>>
>>1263621
I used Japan-Guide for planning most of my trip. I personally wouldn't do a tour because the last thing I want is someone else setting my schedule when I'm in a new place.

Regarding directions/language, get a mobile wifi device. I used Japan Wifi Buddy, had a device for 3 weeks. It will allow your entire group to use google maps and google translate (the photo translation is really useful for translating signs and menus) instead of having one or more people get SIM cards for internet access.
>>
>>1263649
the host was supposed to be some white guy and it said it was a private place, turns out he delegated it to some chink woman and all the guests are Chinese who yell and argue right outside my door. Worst experience I've had yet.
>>
>>1263654
You should read the comments on each airbnb listing. Usually the people who previously stayed at that listing call out the host if they lied
>>
>>1263621
I think that's expensive and probably you won't get much time to savor the experience.

Personally, just as the other posters had mentioned, you just need to have some access to wifi, google maps and some sites to help you get around. So be sure to get a pocket wifi with you during the trip, especially since you're going to be a group. The good thing about Japan, there's tons of people going in there so you could just look up for reviews or existing itineraries then customize it a bit. From getting there, getting the pocket wifi at the airport, going from airport to your accommodations, things in between and then going out... you can just check up japan-guide or some videos in youtube.
>>
Anybody know a good art supply store near central Tokyo? I'd like to do some painting while I'm there, but I'm not gonna pack all my paints and get tackled by the TSA, much less shove a canvas in my carry-on.
>>
>>1262029
can i get the list of top 10 things to see in tokyo?
>>
>>1263689
1. Pussy
2. Vag
>>
>>1263672
Just Google crafts stores on Google maps. I stumbled into one today walking around shinjuku. They had an entire floor just for paints and brushes.
>>
>>1263336
Three more weeks here! The wait is starting to kill me. My job for these next few weeks is going to feel like forever.
>>
>>1263725
The heat is awful in July
>>
>>1263725
Nice! I'me done with my internship in 2 weeks.
>>1263735
I can handle it, it''s not great but I get used to it in like 2 days.
>>
Im trying to get my cousin to fall in love with me on our trip to Japan. We've been particularly close, but never made that next big step. Will he have sexual feelings for me if we do couple like things in Japan?

Thinking about going to an Onsen to start it off
>>
>>1263767
Alabama please go
>>
>>1263735
Good thing I currently live in an area with higher humidity than Japan. I think I'm able to handle it.
>>
>>1263699
nice

>>1263767
I don't see what good it'll do you unless you're gay; onsens separate people by gender. Instead just find some incest manga "just for laughs," read it, have him read it, get drunk at karaoke, and jump on that hog.
>>
Lets say im in japan for one month with at least 3000 bucks, wht would you do with it
>>
>>1263920
Go out and eat well? 3,000 isn't exactly "fuck you money".
>>
>>1263920
We assuming rooming is paid for?

Pretty much anything you damn well want.
Just

>use your feet for primary transportation
IC cards are good value as well, but use walking when possible

>eat modestly
should be under 2,000 yen a day for most stuff, even could spurge on the weekends just fine

>plan ahead stops and locations
Believe it or not just mapping out the spots you want to visit prior to getting to japan and going "I WANT TO SEE IT ALL", will save you a bunch of time/money. This is mostly due to the fact you won't be bumbling around trying to find inefficient routes to places when you could have spent the money going to X then just walk to Y and Z.

>avoid tourist traps
Usually easy to spot well enough with just a quick google.

Honestly you should be doing around 100 usd a day, kinda hard to blow that even with Hostel costs(25-30) you'd still be looking at 70 USD per day of fun money. Just don't buy everything that flashes infront of you and you can live very well. heard people in this these threads last on 1000 for a month
>>
>>1263920
I've got a bunch of nip friends, so I'd stay with them for free in Osaka or Tokyo.
Probably blow it on some shit I can't buy in the US. Then spend the rest of it on food for my friends and myself.
When I lived in Japan I lived off of roughly 800 usd a month. I could easily make 3000 go a long way.
>>
>>1263994
You could make 800 going a long way even with hostels/airbnb mashup. really would come down to what you plan to do outside room/food
>>
What are some daytrips from Kyoto and Osaka to get the most value out of my Jr pass
>>
>>1262749

Fellow coeliac, haven't been to Japan but have this it might help

https://fuckfodmaps.wordpress.com/2017/04/01/gluten-free-in-japan-osaka-nara-kyoto-and-tokyo/?preview=true
>>
>>1264075
Kobe, Nara, maybe Hiroshima if you get up real early and return late
>>
In Kyoto, what should I do? More obscure stuff then basic tourist shit, or stuff that's easy to miss, please.
>>
>>1264096
Not sure what you mean but if you want to see "neat stuff", most of it in Kyoto has been made touristy as Kyoto is a huge tourist place. Probably some shrines and stuff on some trails to go see, but not exactly sure what you are looking for.
>>
>>1264075
Himeji, Nara, Naoshima, Kurashiki
>>
>>1264096
You should get a train ticket to Osaka
>>
Going to Tokyo this August for the first time, is month in Tokyo too much in your opinion and is 1500 euros spending money too little? I don't really drink or party, I mostly enjoy just hanging around and exploring, I'm not planning on eating anything fancy, most likely the cheapest shit I can find.

I'm planning on shopping some weeb shit, but most likely end up coming back home empty handed like in most of my trips.
>>
>250 dollars for a week rail pass
Jesus, aren't there shitty cattle class trains? Do I really have to take the sanic fast ones?
>>
>>1264243
>Jesus, aren't there shitty cattle class trains? Do I really have to take the sanic fast ones?

What the hell are you talking about? If you want to see the greater parts of japan it is totally worth it given how quick and effective they are. If you are going to 1 or 2 places just get a cheap bus fare.
>>
>>1264242
1500 is fine just use hostels.com or hostelworld.com, hell even airbnb works fine for 25-30 USD per night. What I would do is just mark down cool weeb shit, just put a marker on google where you saw it, sleep on it and then come back to it. Biggest mistake you can make is going to akihabara and impusle buy.
>>
>>1264253
Ah, I have flights and place to stay already for the month, so 1500 is purely for traveling inside the country, food and freetime, no need to worry about place to stay.
>>
>>1264243
Can you do math and use Hyperdia?
>>
>>1264256
Should be fine then, that's like 6,000 yen a day spending money. Are you staying soley in 1 place or going to multiple places? JR pass might take a chunk of that out though so plan stops and locations ahead of time and try to group them. I'd really just save your purchasing as much as possible towards the end of your trip, running out of money in a foriegn country can be a bummer.
>>
>>1264333
I think I'm going to stay around tokyo or visit the nearby cities if it isn't too expensive, I'm not sure if JR pass is worth it in that case, I'll try to do mostly day trips.
>>
>>1264348
keep in mind japan has some really cheap bus fairs for like 20 USD to Kyoto/Osaka and such. It's one way, but not a bad price if going to one or two places
>>
Any success with dating sites outdide of Tinder, Badoo, and Okcupid? Are thete even any others?

Japan is just not having any "nanpa" nonsense on the streets
>>
>>1264358
> tokyo <> osaka bus
>$20
>laughingschoolgirls.png
>>
>>1264364
My bad 5,800 yen direct
>>
>>1264243
It's good value if you plan to travel long distances in a short amount of time. I was planning on buying the 14 day pass, but I planned out my itinerary on hyperdia and for me it was cheaper to buy a round trip green class shinkansen ticket (Tokyo-Osaka) than buying the pass.
>>
>>1264401
I stopped short of going for a 14 day pass when I found bus trips to my first 2 destinations were like 5000 yen, able to shave off time enough to start my bus trip in Takayama and hit up all the places I need to go with a 7 day
>>
anyone know if they have "standing room only" tickets for sold out baseball games?
Im trying to see that new Mariners meme mascot lol

thanks in advance
>>
i have been out of the dating game for a while but i need a NSA shag. what do cunts here use that isn't tinder?
>>
File: tokio.jpg (352KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tokio.jpg
352KB, 1920x1080px
>>1262029
>>1262029
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU BUY TOKYO DISNEY TICKETS???

>be ordering tickets online
>it go through process
>go to purchase with my credit card
>says authentication failed because of 3D authentication
>no big deal, I will just use my wifes card
>same fucking error
>no big deal, I will just use my dads credit card
>same fucking error

I called my Card company and they said the issue was not on their end, what the fuck am I missing here?
>>
>>1264422
are you using a card from your country?

Japan barely tolerates domestic credit purchases, i would advise a debit card or buy them IN Chiba
>>
>>1264449
Yes a card from the US, I am using a credit card because they ban debit cards for some reason. I was just hoping to get a head start on having everything paid and booked.
>>
>>1264452
yeah don't bother its going to be more work than its worth
>>
>>1264422
try buying them from a travel agency
>>
>>1264452
>go to 711
>get out money from atm
>pay in cash at Disney

Not really that hard
>>
Does anyone have any info on live music in Tokyo? I'm mostly interested in shimokitawzawa, but I have a hard time finding any info on venues online
>>
File: Untitled.png (35KB, 1402x394px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
35KB, 1402x394px
damn RIP japan-guide's classifieds section. there goes the easiest way to meet people that actually have similar interests
>>
I want to take a decent amount of ejuice containing nicotine with me. If I label a bottle as shampoo, what do you think the chances are of customs bothering to check what it is? It smells like, and has the consistency of shampoo of it helps.
>>
>>1264475
is that really worth the risk? fairly sure that you could just buy shit in japan.
>>
File: 1462533142336.gif (2MB, 800x704px) Image search: [Google]
1462533142336.gif
2MB, 800x704px
>>1264477
Not him but Japan doesn't allow the sale of ejuice with nicotine at B&M stores, at least that was how it was the last time I checked. At the very least you could probably take a small amount with you but you would most likely have to import it (which is legal). They do however sell "ecigs" that are basically single use with a certain amount of "puffs" for the one cartridge that is included. They do have lots of mods and different setups that you can buy while you are there but unfortunately the juice that is sold doesn't have nicotine since they don't allow it to be sold with nicotine, the tobacco industry still has a rather large presence, although it is diminishing. Sorry if my post is rather incoherent, I've been drinking quite a bit.
>>
>>1264483
by tobacco industry I meant actual cigarettes.
>>
Anyone else in Tokyo today getting soaked?
>>
>>1264495
yo bitch is
>>
>>1264477

Well, kinda. I'm gonna be there for a year at least, and I don't ever want to resort to cigarettes.

I don't want to risk it, but I don't wanna be left stranded without my juice.

As the other guy said, you can't get nicotine juice in Japan, and apparently its getting harder to import. Not to mention im gonna be moving around a lot.
What a dilemma.
>>
>>1264465
Noo! It's the only place that hasn't been tainted by yellow fever fucks and vapid whores
>>
Can anyone tell me what to expect in Niseko? Going to be there for two weeks for snowboarding but wouldn't mind checking out what else is on offer... Also Sapporo as well.
>>
>>1262029
Looks like I'll be going to Japan in about a month or so. I'm very interested in cultural and nature stuff so what are good places to visit? Museums, parks? Some place to hike, some place where I could potentially fish and swim? Also general places where I'd feel like I've just entered 17th century Japan? Thanks in advance!
>>
>>1264564
Forgot to mention; I'll be there for almost 20 days.
>>
>>1264564
The Yumoto Onsen and Lake Chuzenji area have a ton of hikes ranging from flat and easy 2.5km walks to 20-25 km of hilly/mountainous terrain. Easy access by bus from Nikko. Closer to Tokyo there's Mt Tsukuba. Mt Takao is nice on the lesser used trails, but very crowded on the main path and at the top.
>>
Leaving the US tomorrow for a trip to Japan. Honestly did not do much planning, was dealing with a lot and these just happen to be my vacation days. Said "Fuck It, let's do Japan" and my buddy said sure.

What's the must-do while I'm there? I have two weeks and a personal budget of 2 grand, though would prefer to not spend it all.

I don't care about sex tourism or getting smashed, and I don't plan to expend more than two days on weeaboo bullshit, I'd rather actually see cultural sites. My Japanese is intermediate, and I have no issue explaining that I am a foreigner who has forgotten much of his Japanese but thinks the language is awesome, etc.

Picked up a JR Pass for 7 days so we can get around quickly and see new places. But what do I need to do?

Current plans include Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto, with a stop at Universal for the new JUMP collab.
>>
Going to Mt. Fuji area for one day in early July. Where should I go? I am mostly looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of Tokyo. Thinking about Hakone, what are some other options?
>>
>>1264546
good time to quit :)
or go for patches or something man
>>
Is it true you should avoid wearing shirts to too many designs or english words in japan?
>>
>>1264725
? Never heard that one before. I guess I would avoid anything blatantly offensive, but that should go without saying. Anyone non-Asian looking is gonna get weird looks anyways.
>>
>>1264419
Why not tinder? Also, just a heads-up, your luck getting fucked by a qt japanese gril, especially NSA, and especially if you've "been out of the dating game for a while" is probably gonna be pretty low.
>>
>>1264639
just go to r/japantravel
>>
>>1264629
Oh nice, thanks. What about some shrines and stuff like that?
>>
>>1264812
Nikko. However, all of the the shrines and temples there are in various states of restoration, but Toshugu Shrine's main tourist attractions are still open to the public for 800~ yen and very beautiful. You can also get a museum ticket to get a look at all the various swords, manuscripts, and other historical artifacts associated with the shrine, and you can also get an in-depth look at the restoration process in the museum lobby without a ticket.
>>
Anyone got some insight into cellphone use in Japan? I know don't talk on trains, and most restaurants don't like it, but is there anything I am missing
>>
>>1262136
hell yea dude. no muzzies to shit up nippon
>>
>>1264851
Maybe make sure you're not too loud if you're staying at an Airbnb/Ryokan/local's home as the walls are quite thin and a lot of homes share walls also.

Last time I stayed in Kyoto, I got an angry knock on the wall because I was speaking too loud on the phone (although I wasn't speaking any louder than normal, Westerners just tend to speak louder than Japanese).
>>
>>1264640
There are decent Fuji-Hakone day trips that JTB run. The only caveat is that you're in a bus for a long time.
>>
Hi guys, about to hit japan for 27 days. Approx how much yen would I need, assuming I wasn't spoiling myself with food, and living as cheaply as possible? Mainly looking to explore the cities and main destinations for my first trip overseas ever
>>
>>1264883
Some anon's have done 1000 USD to last a month. Really comes down to how much you eat and are willing to walk from point A to B.

JR pass is a good value for 7 days, but you can bus to osaka and walk around to Kobe, Nara, and if up for a long day hike Kyoto.
>>
>>1264887

hmm, thanks. I am probably the fittest I have ever been in my life at the moment, and will miss my gym and training while i'm away.. so walking will be a good way to save money & stay fit I guess..
>>
>>1264883
After flights and housing, I've done Tokyo for a month on about 500 USD, and that includes museum admission fees, trains around the city, a fair amount of booze (store-bought, because bars are mostly a ripoff), and a nice meal here and there. Do your research beforehand and you'll find it's actually pretty easy to live cheaply in a major city. If you wanna move around the country, transportation costs are gonna hit you pretty hard, though.
>>
>>1264892
>>1264883
Follow-up: I would eat instant ramen and bananas for the most part (they're the only fresh fruit that's cheap in Japan) and splurge on a fancy meal every few days, walk a lot of places (which is fun and interesting in its own right), and saw a lot of attractions that were free- some quick googling should turn up a massive list of attractions that are either dirt cheap or free. For example, I saw a large sumo tournament that happened to be free (once a year or something), there are always festivals for something or other, in the summer kickass fireworks shows, etc.
>>
>>1264759
>NSA
???
>>
>>1264895
He probably has a girlfriend and doesn't want to be found on tinder by accident
>>
>>1264895
I was just using the question asker's terminology, but I assume that he meant "no strings attached."
>>
>>1264780
This desu, or just look up the places you'll be going on japan-guide.com amd use that to plan an itinerary. That's how I did my first trip.
>>
Yo, does anyone here live in Japan or the Nagaoka area? I want to go next year to see some fireworks there, but I'm clueless and I'm sure it will be crowded asfk.
>>
I just got back from my trip and I'm seriously yearning to go back. I miss Japan so much and I miss how safe and polite and convenient everything is.

How do you deal with post Japan depression, lads?
>>
how many tourist are there in the end of July in Kyoto? I hope it won't be overrun with these Chinese tourists. If there are a lot could I avoid them by going early in the morning?
>>
Can you do WWOOFing or similar things on a tourist visa?
Assuming you don't get payed of course.
>>
Planning a group trip with friends of mine, just looking for feedback or any advice y'all can give me. We're flying out of the Southeast US from a few different airports. We will be travelling in december 2018, flying in to Tokyo, then taking the Shinkansen to Nagoya, followed by Osaka, and flying out of Tokyo. We will be staying in tokyo for two or three nights, two nights in Nagoya, and three nights in Osaka.
Most, if not all of us will be drinking, and we're excited to experience a variety of bars across these cities, not to mention the food. Could anyone reccomend places to go or things to see in Tokyo, Osaka, or Nagoya? We're going to be getting the Rail pass.
>>
>>1265042
Can you? Yes. Is it legal? No. WWOOFing is illegal in most places, it's just that they will have a tough time proving anything. First off they won't see where you're staying, and secondly even if they find out it's possible to just say you were being hosted and helping with chores. Don't say you're doing a WWOOF, just say you're going sightseeing, and you'll be fine. The way they usually catch illegal workers is because of audits which don't add up with them paying certain people, and that's assuming they catch them at all (which they usually don't).
>>
I have enough money that I could justify staying at Park Hyatt in Tokyo. Should I? Seven nights.
>>
>>1264896
The only way she would find out is if she was on Tinder as well, in which case, there are some things that they should probably discuss.
>>
>>1265105
Could ask a friend she knows or use some of those search apps for him
>>
>>1264964
I had this for a week now and it hasn't gone. Also white people have started to disgust me watching them litter on purpose and be generally rude
>>
I think it was asked before but forgot the answer.

Going to tokyo for an extended stay in a month, I need a gym. Anyone got some advice for me? looking for something for just 2 weeks tops, I just don't want to go +1 month no workout
>>
How are the odds of finding a Japanese bf. My Japanese is not that bad but I spill spaghetti like there's no tomorrow, I stutter a lot. (Yes, I'm a girl. I'm moving out next year for a semester. )
>>
>>1265176
With the info you've given you're looking at a strong 0%-100%
>>
>>1265102
If you don't care about Lost in Translation and just want to get a really nice Hyatt, stay at the Andaz. I spent 6 nights there in April. More convenient to rail transit, rooms are nicer, and base rooms are larger if that matters to you. Also nice views of Tokyo Tower/Skytree/Odaiba depending on the side of the hotel you're on.
>>
>>1265176
You will find one but he will become a sucidal employee at a travel agency and you will move back to Arizona as he becomes unwilling to support your drinking and smoking habits
>>
>>1265115
That person would need to be swiping in Tokyo as well, which is only possible if they're physically there or paying for a Tinder+ subscription (and honestly, what kind of idiot would do that?), and even then, there's only a small chance she'd see him anyway. In a big city (Tokyo is the biggest in the world by a few metrics), there's no way you can see every person using Tinder; just a small portion.

Either way, I guess it doesn't really matter since he said he's not gonna use Tinder.
>>
>>1265176

How attractive are you? With no social skills, that will matter a lot. If you're even remotely overweight, you're out of luck. If your hair is greasy and you have acne, you're out of luck. If you have brown eyes and brown hair, you'll fair worse than blonde+blue, but still have a shot.

Second, what's your plan? Landing a bf is unlikely if you're hoping to just stumble into somebody at a conbini or animu merch outlet. Going to a bar may yield a hookup, or nothing at all, or a gaijin, but probably not a healthy long-term relationship with a japanese qt.

Search for groups that share your interest (preferably not weebshit, but if that's all you've got then it'll have to do), show up, flaunt your exotic american tail, and you might just get you a man (after weeks or months of platonic interaction).
>>
Was waiting 5 days to email a girl I met in Japan after exchanging contact info too late? I'm worried I'll never hear from her again.
>>
>>1265289
lol nigga you do it after/within 12-24 hours or 99% of people will think you ditched them
>>
File: 63514591_p4.jpg (720KB, 1920x1650px) Image search: [Google]
63514591_p4.jpg
720KB, 1920x1650px
ive just been to Japan few days ago and I feel like going back again probably next year, wanted to go back to that cycling road Shimanami Kaido and do the other routes, with the other areas we visited like the kansai region and kanagawa and kanto region, where else is a good place to visit? i hear takayama is good, also is it worth going north to hokkaido?
>>
>>1265299
Going to Takayama and a few other places around it as well as most of southern japan in a few weeks. I'll probably do a post when I get back
>>
Anyone here ever do coin laundry in japan? Going in August for a few weeks and I know it is hot, I'd rather not pack a shit ton of clothes either, and would like to wash just a small amount every few days/week.

Just wondering if anyone had any insight or info they would like to share
>>
>>1265351
Put dirty laundry in washer. Then put those wet clean laundry into dryer. What info you need
>>
>>1265351
They're the same as laundromats everywhere. Download google translate's japanese pack thing and use the camera function if you can't read the settings. idk what else to tell you
>>
>>1265358
>>1265361
Thanks. Heard (some?) machines put the soap in for you? Wasn't sure if that was true, didn't want to load in too much soap and then have a overload.
>>
>>1265368
I mean, I can't tell you that no machine in the country does that, but i never came across it.

Though if they did they probably wouldn't have a box of detergent sitting there
>>
What do you guys think about going to japan and spending a few weeks in tokyo only? Or do you think I should try and see as much of the country as possible?

Also, are there any ways to avoid paying for train fares? Or are they super vigilant over there?
>>
>>1265400
Tokyo is big but if you are going for a week a JR pass might be worth it to travel around and do day trips at places. If you line up your stops right, you should be able to spend a good part of the day in most places assuming you wake up early enough to catch the first few trains.
>>
>>1265400
The Japanese are very serious about trains and everything related to it
>>
>>1263144
>he does the virgin post
>>
Would anybody like to share his experiences with the immigration procedure at Haneda Airport?

How long will it approx. take me?
>>
I'm going to be in Kyoto just for a weekend. I'm hoping to go to an antique market on Sunday, but it looks like it might be closed due to rain. Any suggestions on what to do on a rainy day in Kyoto? I've already seen most of the major temples/shrines.

Also, any recommended bars near Karasuma station? I know Osaka is superior for night life, but my hostel is near the station.
>>
>>1265368
>>1265396

When the fuck did you live in Japan, old man?
Even in my Inaka shithole the coin laundries all add soap automatically.
>>
What the hell should I eat in Japan?
>>
>>1265453
Seafood, obviously.

But for real, go to a yakiniku if you haven't already, literally the best food I've eaten in Japan. The one I went to for the /trv/ meetup back in December was pretty good, called Nikugatou Yakiniku, in Tokyo.
>>
What place did you enjoy visiting most? what was your favorite experience in Japan?
>>
I'm planning a trip to Japan pretty soon and had some questions about customs. First is what should I put for my address? I usually know someone in the country and just put down their address even if I'm not staying there, but I don't know anyone and don't have a set itinerary. Should I just put down the place I'm staying when I arrive even if I'm only going to be there for a few days?

I was also wondering about how strict they are. Like will they check if I have a return flight or want bank info to prove I'm not a bum?
>>
So I went during June and the rain, lack of cicadas, and zero festivals kind of made me wished I chose a different time.

Since my vacation time as a teacher is largely in summer and winter, what are the best periods to visit to catch festivals and shit?
>>
>>1265463
>what should I put for my address?
If you're unsure where you're staying, a suburb or city will usually be fine, you could just write "Shinjuku". Let alone a full address.
>Should I just put down the place I'm staying when I arrive even if I'm only going to be there for a few days?
Yep
>will they check if I have a return flight
I've heard they're strict, but I've travelled to Japan several times (with return flights) and no questions were asked, and last November I went without a flight leaving the country and had no questions asked.
I'm also an Australian passport holder so I'm not sure if that made a difference, I can imagine they'd be more strict on US citizens and some Euro countries.
>>
>>1265475
I'm Canadian, so probably not an issue any more than USA. I might schedule an outgoing flight that I can cancel cheaply and do that.
>>
>>1265478
Yeah you won't have a problem.
>>
>>1265479
Alright cool, thanks.
>>
>>1265431
I dunno dude, I've visited half a dozen coin laundries all across eastern, western, and central tokyo within the last 1.5 years and none of them have had automatic soap.
>>
>>1265458
Oh shit, a /trv/ meetup in Tokyo actually happened? How was it?

>>1265466
Later in the summer, or right around the holidays/new year (though that's peak tourist season, so everything is more crowded and more expensive).

>>1265475
>>1265463
I'm a US citizen and every time I've gone to Japan it's been for an uncertain amount of time, so I alway land without a return ticket booked and I've never once gotten a question about it.
>>
File: 168.png (505KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
168.png
505KB, 750x1334px
>>1265493
>How was it?

It was actually really good. Everyone there was surprisingly... normal. There were a couple other aussies that showed up which was pretty cool, I thought I'd be the only one.
>>
Planning my first trip there and I'm looking at travelling between Tokyo and Fukuoka for 3 weeks next year. I'm setting aside 5000yen a day for spending money, is that reasonable?
>>
>>1265545
More than enough. You can get by spending like ¥200 for breakfast and under ¥1000 for lunch or dinner. Train fare is cheap around town so unless you're planning on drinking or buying a lot of random shit you can halve that budget. I ended up being like ¥40,000 under budget by the end of my trip so I just blew money on booze and anime figs.
>>
>>1265562
>planning on drinking or buying a lot of random shit
Exactly my intentions. If I can fit this under budget, I'm happy. Thanks.
>>
>>1265400
I spent a total of 2 months in Tokyo over 3 trips now and still haven't seen even close to all of it
>>1265420
depending on traffic usually 30-60 minutes
>>1265428
the Manga Museum is worth checking out. Otherwise there's also a national museum I think
>>1265461
Tokyo is still my favorite city but Ishigaki was just amazing too. Fukuoka would probably be a really nice place to live and Kurokawa was probably the nicest small town that I've seen
>>1265466
July/August is festival fireworks season. Can recommend August
>>
>>1265400

For the past two years, I've spent one month combined just in Tokyo. And I still haven't seen half of it.

You have to pay train fares.
>>
I know you're probably sick of ESL teaching question, but......

Will having a BS in Art Education make a difference vs. a BFA in Art? My university offers both and I'm not sure which one to pick. Neither of them are really full-blown "education majors" so if it doesn't make a difference I want to get the BFA.
>>
>>1265400
I'd try and do a couple of daytrips at least, but probably better to do one week in Tokyo and spread the rest out over other places. As for trains, you could try making a fake JR pass. You only really flash those to the attendants and no one in Tokyo checks. If you're outside of Tokyo it's a bad idea and even in Tokyo you're safer to just buy the tickets.
>>
>>1263336
>>1263725
I'm leaving on July 13th for 18 days. Maybe I'll see you anons there.
>>
What is the best way to have a fun night drinking in Tokyo and Osaka? Pregame in the AirBnB, then walk around downtown and go to izakayas? Bring a flask and sip throughout the night while walking around? Are there any public container laws? Are bars overpriced like they are in the US? Is the liquor selection as diverse as in the US? I'm only planning to drink 2 or 3 nights out of a couple of weeks of stay, but my friend loves to go out drinking, so I want to have the best plan possible.
>>
>>1262715
Really not. There's not much difference and the standard seats are fine
>>
>>1265742
>how do I drink??

New low. Even for eternal Japan thread.
>>
>>1264725
Japanese people walk around with shirts with English writing on all the time. Most of it is nonsensical phrases
>>
i have tattoos, will people there not take too kind to it?
>>
>>1265745
I'm >>1262715. I decide to buy the green class ticket because the 14 day pass is a rip off for my itinerary and I ended up saving around 8000 yen
>>
>>1265717
>fake JR pass
w-would that work? Indeed as for experience they just glance at it and the only time they check it is during reservations, they didnt even bother inspecting it on reserved shinkansen seats when your already inside.
>>
>have to choose between a $600 ticket to Tokyo or a one piece of a body kit for my Skyline

wat do?
>>
>>1265759
you'll get some looks but since you're a foreigner you can expect this anyways. the only place they may refuse you is at a onsen.
>>
>>1265781
Like only for local trains during busy times in Tokyo it would work. Put it in some kind of special water proof holder so they get even less a look at it. No idea what the penalty would be if you got caught with a straight up forged pass though.

Personally I wouldn't risk it but I'd like to hear if it works out.
>>
>>1265742
>>1265747
Less autistic since he legit doesn't know the open container laws. You can walk around drinking in Japan, it's fine. You might get some looks because it's rude to walk and drink or eat anything at all but fuck it, they'll realize you're a foreigner. The liquor selection is pretty good, they've got more fruity flavored drinks with high alcohol content for really cheap. The beer selection is less strong but really varies from store to store, if you look sort of hard you can find places with larger beer selections. The bars are a bit overpriced but if you can find a legit bar with a fancy jap bartender get a cocktail and watch him work.
>>
>>1264418

plz respond
>>
Anything fun to do at Haneda airport? My layover is only three hours.
>>
>Tfw will be in jp in time for comiket,
>,Tfw with friends in jp

I well maybe next time
>>
>>1265910
No fap material is worth that much trouble
>>
I got a Daruma doll with the goal of going to Japan. Well, I'm here now and I brought it with me. With both eyes filled and the goal complete, is there somewhere I can leave it that wouldn't be rude? Like maybe I can donate it to a shrine or temple? I want to leave it here to pay it back for getting me through the days leading to the trip.
>>
>>1265934

cringe
>>
I've been to Tokyo a few times with a friend. We stayed in pretty nice business hotels. I'm thinking of going back alone as I've found a pretty reasonably priced return flight. Long layovers but worth the savings.
Can anyone recommend decent hostels in Tokyo? Somewhere with decent access to the Yamanote line but it's not a deal breaker. I haven't used AirBnB before but might if it's reasonably priced.
>>
>>1265994
K's House and Sakura House are both really good, although I would recommend getting a single room if I were you. The lounges are great places to meet people but dorm rooms can be a hassle.
>>
Any tips on running/jogging while in big cities like Tokyo? My trip will be for several weeks, so I want to stay fit while I'm there.
Most good paths are only accessible by train from my hotel, and I don't want to ride a train while covered in sweat and gym clothes.
>>
>>1266008
Isn't walking everywhere all the time enough to stay fit?
>>
File: 1486929824433.jpg (587KB, 744x1052px) Image search: [Google]
1486929824433.jpg
587KB, 744x1052px
>>1266009
By fit, I mean keep my cardio in shape so I'm not a bag of hammers running when I return home
>>
File: Zen 1.jpg (48KB, 448x316px) Image search: [Google]
Zen 1.jpg
48KB, 448x316px
>>1262029
A little out of left field compared to what people usually ask here, but I just finished up a minor in Religious Studies and am thinking of taking a Buddhist vacation. Is this something that's done? I don't travel very much. I'd also be interested in doing normal tourist things in addition.
>>
>>1265809
Is it true you can't ride a bicycle if you've had anything to drink? Like it's considered a vehicle in the same way a car or motorbike is?
>>
Ok so I have been checking out this general for a while, and it seems a lot of you guys are recommending a 1 week JR pass to people who are staying for 2 or more weeks. My question is, what do you suggest they do for the rest of the time when they do not have a JR pass?
>>
>>1266046
The JR pass is just for the week of travelling between cities. The rest of the time you can survive with a pasmo or suica
>>
>>1266046
buy single tickets? JR pass is only worth it if you plan to travel long distances in a short amount of time. Other than that, you can easily go to a JR ticket office or ticket machine to buy tickets.
>>
>>1265284
>social skills
they're good.

>attractive
ehhh...

>overweight
more like average by US standards, so I suppose I'll be a piggu. still have time to shed some extra pounds, though.

>brown hair and eyes
shit. check.

i'm not american though. i'm a latin american hafu/hapa, so i guess that's...?? Not a plus?
>>
>>1266104
Sorry, doesn't sound good for you. The japanese hate foreigners of all varieties, with the exception of white women. If you're a white man, a nonwhite man, or a nonwhite woman, you're fugged. And average by US standards is thicc, which is dope af in a lot of places, but unattractive in Japan. Still, go for the meetup plan, it might turn out, you never know.

If that doesn't work, find someone who'll actually appreciate a thique latina gf (an expat, maybe).

>>1265628
Just leave most of the big splurging til towards the end of the trip. By then you'll have a better idea of how reasonable your budget was/is and how much wiggle room you have.

>>1265703
It doesn't make a difference. All non-teaching degrees are judged roughly equally.

>>1265742
Pregaming is a good idea. Bars aren't generally AS overpriced as the US, but they're still overpriced. If you can stomach cheap whiskey straight, buy a nip from a conbini or supermarket (literally like ¥300 or something) and just drink that at will; public drinking isn't illegal, and it's not even really that stigmatized. I'd also def recommend buying a few high-ABV fruity drinks and going to town on those delicious fuckers.
>>
>>1265934
It's meant to be returned to its original shrine so it can be burned.

If you don't know where it came from just leave it at a random small roadside shrine.
>>
New bread >>1266133
>>
>>1266108
if you have a major in English but you're a non native how will they treat you?

I figured I should ask this when this thread was almost dead so as to not bother people that have more important questions
>>
>>1266271
It's gonna be a little rougher. Native speakers are the most preferable. If you're 100% fluent (your post demonstrates as much) then you definitely have a shot, but there will be a narrower range of places that will give you the time of day. Once you find a place and get past that first step though (the "hey, just let me apply and prove I'm fluent" step) you'll be fine.
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.