[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Europe's best kept secret

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0043.jpg (671KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0043.jpg
671KB, 1500x1000px
Greetings /trv/ - I'm hoping to hear from anyone who's been to the Faroe islands. In their own words, it's Europe's best kept secret. I love the outdoors, and going here at some stage is a real aspiration of mine.

So please, if you've been here or know someone who has, could you share it?
>>
>>1261931
Well I wouldn't name it "best kept secret" but I agree Faroer Islands are pretty cool.

I have been to Torshavn, Klaksvik and Nelsoy

Nelsoy island https://youtu.be/1mbxx5wlKLs

And here is the heliport https://youtu.be/2Y2ptOEsPkA
>>
>>1262019

How did you get there?
>>
>>1262075
>>1261931
it's not a secret I know about them and have wanted to go but I can't because it's too expensive

No direct flights for a flyover-American, we'd have to connect at least three times, for that price I could stick another cheap vacation in my schedule.
>>
>>1262075
To the capital: I flew from Keflavik to Vagar. It is a bout 15min away from the capital Torshavn. They provide busses and taxis.

To Klaksvik or other main islands you can take busses. They start daily and offer different routes. You can just go to the ferry port and take your bus.

To Nelsoy you need to take a ferry.
>>
File: 20160912-_MG_2296.jpg (532KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
20160912-_MG_2296.jpg
532KB, 1080x720px
I was there in september 2016. It was absolutely amazing.

I spent a week in Iceland and then one more week in the Faroes
>>
>>1262230
Pic is from Sorvágur
>>
>>1262230

That's a lovely picture. How long were you there for?
>>
>>1261931
Europe's best kept secret and one of my deepest desires.
I may come here this winter because this is so magnificent
there is a faorese poster on int and pol, you can ask him. he said it's boring and depressing, but this is the type of clay I like
>>
File: 20170531_192740.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170531_192740.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1261931
I'm Faroese. Ama
>>
File: _MG_0693-HDR.jpg (150KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
_MG_0693-HDR.jpg
150KB, 1000x667px
>>1262699

1st day: arrived at 5 pm, got to see Gásadalur. Stayed at Sorvágur

2nd day: Traelanipa, stayed at Sorvágur

3rd day: Vestmanna, Sandavágur, Saksun, stayed at Eiði

4th day: Gjogv, Funningur, Elduvík, stayed at Eiði

5th day: Klaksvík and Vidareidi (pic related) (the plan was to go to Trollanes too, but the weather was terrible), stayed at Tórshavn

Day 6 to 8: Tórhsavn, the weather kept us there
>>
>>1262811
what's your job?
what do you do for fun there?
do you like spiderman?
>>
>>1262811
Are there any engineering jobs there?

My family is from Gotland and so I've been raised around people speaking really old-school gutnish and for some reason I can understand quiet at bit of faroese, more than danish I'd say. My question is if you can understand gutnish, the other way around?
>>
>>1264318
I work untrained jobs at fish factories mostly. Have worked on a few trawlers in the past.
My family owns a bit of land and some 50 adult sheep, and I own a boat with fishing permit as well as a rifle with permit. Other than that my hobbies are pretty normal for any country.
I loved the spiderman cartoons that were on tv in the 90's, other than that idk.

>>1264329
You could probably find some engineering job. Depends what kind of degree you have. We are building tunnels like crazy now, and most of them under the sea.
There are a lot of eastern europeans here doing all kinds of construction.

Not sure if I've ever heard gutnish, but from what I can tell it's related to faroese through old norse. So I guess we could have some sort of conversation. When I have spoken with Icelanders they typically understand me far better than I understand them...
>>
>>1264767
would working on a trawler or a factory be a good idea to earn some cash for traveling in a short amount of time?
>>
>>1265026
Fishing is a seasonal thing. From august to february my factory job is up to 60k dkk a month. Trawling pays extremely well, personal best was 260k dkk in august 2010, but don't expect that much or in fact don't expect to get hired there at all... any commercial fishing vessel has a state paid minimum wage of I think 1200 dkk per day.

Tax is around 50%

But yeah it pays a years salary in 6 months so it's great for travels. I am currently in turkey :-)
>>
>>1265029
Holy Shit those are ridiculous sums. Even the factory ones. 2 months would pay easily for my plans. Is there really no chance of a foreigner getting hired? I have German citizenship.
>>
>>1265070
I don't know how it works to be honest. But seems to me the two easy routes are marriage or a construction type job.
A lot of foreigners in soccer too, if you're any good at that...
>>
>>1265071
I was good at soccer when I was a teenager. But I am looking for a short seasonal job to finance my travels anyway.
>>
>>1265072
There are blacks and thais all over the factories. Some icelanders, danes and swedes.
But I'm pretty sure they are here through family.

You can always try
>>
>>1265076
thanks. I might try. I am on the brink of selling my body. I just want to leave so badly.
>>
>>1262811
Where do you live?
Do you think it's different living in Tórshavn than in other towns?
Are there any IT-related jobs there?
>>
>>1265148
I live in Leirvík, but I'm from Klaksvík. Have a house in Mikladal and another in Oyndafjorð.
Tórshavn is very different to me as it has the city feel, whereas the others are at most towns. Mikladal has around 20 permanent residents I think.
Half the population lives in Tórshavn, but it's still only 20k ish, so it's gonna be tiny for most foreigners.

There are a lot (in my opinion) of IT companies, some do work abroad. Sansir, Formula and Knassar just to name a few
>>
>>1265148
thanks, anon

If you had to recommend a place/town from the Faroe Islands, which one would be?
>>
>>1265152
>>1265179
>>
>>1265179
Going to the waters at Skúvadal with my father has always been my favourite. Bring a tent and tackle, lots of trout there.

Walking the road from Leirvík to the garbage plant during the summer sunsets with my girlfriend
>>
>>1262078
>No direct flights for a flyover-American, we'd have to connect at least three times, for that price I could stick another cheap vacation in my schedule.
Where in flyover? Are you sure? You will always connect from somewhere to Faroes, whether Reykjavik, Edinburgh, Belfast or uhh, somewhere in Scandinavia for a ferry. But, Icelandair does an every increasing amount of over the pole flights from a many american cities now.
http://www.icelandair.us/information/travel-guide/routemap/
Reykjavik could be your nonstop where you can fly to Faroes from there or enjoy a great southern Iceland car drive to east Iceland's ferry, and the prices are great on this airline to encourage a layover in their country. They're frequently not listed on aggregation websites, so go to them directly. Also, check out Delta for Edinburgh and Belfast.

I would suggest you ferry over for the most fun and to island hop, though you could fly.

If I was on a budget? The Faroes would not fit it. Airfare is going to be the least expensive part of your trip, seriously. You could probably get the same feel of the Faroes alone in Iceland, northern Ireland, Aran Islands, Scotland, etc. Deforested, whale/fishing communities with expensive, very expensive, foods and imported needs.
>>
>>1261931
Europe's best kept secret? It's rapidly turning into a complete Muslim raided terror shithole.
>>
>>1262811
What do you guys do on Sundays? everything is closed on Sundays
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.