[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving abroad to learn a language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2589.jpg (164KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2589.jpg
164KB, 1280x800px
Anyone have experience in moving to a foreign country as a means of learning the language?

At some time in my 20s, I've thought about moving to Spain in order to master Spanish (to at least a level in which I can hold a conversation comfortably and be able to articulate myself) as I've always loved the language and I've wanted to master it. I'm currently a native-level English and Lithuanian speaker, and (paired with a natural gift at linguistics) I've taken Spanish for around 5 years at school, so I know the basics but I'm a little rusty due to being out of practise.

What is it like to immerse into an environment in an entirely new language as a beginner? I've done some reading and gone for the obvious tips, i.e. Meet and spend time with only native speakers, avoid being in an English bubble, consume native speaking media etc. But my biggest fear is getting over the inital novice language barrier - being able to communicate at a limited language level without the temptation of using English.

Are there any best cities to move to in order to learn Spanish best/most effectively? I've read that regions which have Spanish as the preffered language and a region in which the accent is most clear, i.e. Madrid over Barcelona (no Catalan preference and clearer accent in Madrid).

What do you make of it anons? What's the best course of action?
>>
>>1261064
Rule of thumb is the smaller the city, the more likely you're to have to actually use spanish and not run into a english bubble.
So you're better off to leave Barca and Madrid out.

Even better Cuba or smaller cities in South America (beside Chile and Bolivia as they have extreme heavy accents) as the english proficiency of the locals out side of the capital cities drops to almost zero/able to give basic directions.
>>
>>1261079
i guess you meant chile and argentina. Bolivia accent is pretty much ok.

>>1261064
Madrid is pretty dull, head north for a better experience. South could be good as well but the accent is most peculiar.
>>
Why Spain? Spain is expensive. You can try Mexico, the women and the country is way cheaper. Not to mention Mexico is home to two ancient world civilizations and the largest Spanish speaking country on the planet.
>>
I moved to a big French city a couple months back and let me tell you I'm always surprised how ignorant towards english people are here. You'd think most young people can understand small simple sentences because of all the english media out there but nah it is very rare when someone speaks decently enough to hold a converstation. On the other hand it is niquel for me because I came here looking to master the language and being obligated to speak french on a regular basis knowing that I can't get away with english , which makes me try even harder. I'd advice you to move somewhere you feel motivated and confident enough to go out and not being afraid of fucking up when you speak with locals, the whole experience makes your thinking process and alertness a lot greater. Much better than than receiving classes or learning from a book
>>
Been living in Spain on and off for two years. If you immerse yourself and pick up a few lessons you'll definitely learn. Unfortunately I've only got a B1 level as I fell into the trap of hanging out with English speakers. Working as an English teacher doesn't help.

>>1261503
Andalusia's cheap AF and has some great cities. I recommend Granada personally..
>>
>>1261602
And how did you go about getting a job teaching, etc??
>>
>>1261603
Got a TEFL qualification and went from academy to academy handing out CVs and shaking hands with dudes. Eventually I got a job out of it. Also keeping an eye on English teachers facebook groups for job openings and private classes helps. It also helps to be a native speaker but I know non natives who got work too.
>>
>>1261608
I've heard of the courses. You can do them online correct?
How did you find the overall experience? Was it easy to meet people? Did you save money?
>>
File: DSC00092-01.jpg (7MB, 3864x5152px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00092-01.jpg
7MB, 3864x5152px
>>1261610
You can do them online but it's advisable to do an in class one. Overall the experience has been good. As for meeting people it depends on the kind of person you are. There;s definitely opportunities to do so. Taking language classes, work mates, language exchanges etc... If you decide you want to meet people you'll probably do it. But it's very easy to fall into the expat trap. Try and live with Spaniards basically.

The cost of living here is low but I didn't save a penny, blew all my money on clothes, travel and booze.
>>
>>1261064
The general knowledge is 1) that you attend a language institute, because though you can self-teach, there are people who are not just speakers, but teachers that can correct you on the finer nuances. It takes 7 years of immersion for a speaker of another language to get to the level of written fluency and able to take college level courses. 2) Immerse in homelife, so living with a host family or having multiple roommates with home-related frequent social interaction is necessary, basics that come from etiquette and conversations in the home. If you can't do that, you do it in the workplace. Volunteer if you can't work. 3) Smaller towns > larger cities because strangers are more likely to take an interest in you, strike up conversations, and not revert to English, which is so common in Europe, whereas in Antigua Guatemala, nope. They are happy in their spanish-only businesses and television bubble.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.