[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comfy German Winter Cities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

Hey guys, I need to spend the winter practising my german (3-4 months), so I'm looking for comfy german-speaking cities to relocate to when the time comes. I guess Switzerland is gonna be too expensive for my budget, so Germany and Austria is what I get. Budget is about 1500 euros/month, transportation is not an issue since I'm currently in Spain, can get tons of flights.

Now a bit more details about what I need: Some snowboarding in the area would be nice, but not a must. Same goes for snow. Mid-size, which means basically any city but Berlin and Vienna. Preferably with students and a lively scene, somewhat of an international community too, but this will not be my priority. Beautiful girls a plus. Tons of cultural activities and historical places in the surroundings would be nice. Close to the french border would be great too, for short getaway trips.

thanks guys!
>>
Forgot to say, I really love rain, so if I could have a very rainy winter instead of snow, that would be awesome too.
>>
>>1260977
NRW, I guess. Munich
>>
>>1260977
Except for the ski part, what about Weimar. Home of Schiller and Goethe?

Ice rink https://youtu.be/ETDYjcTqZco

Chill and quiet https://youtu.be/RcNqRhKd6vM

Btw do not forget German is also spoken in Liechtenstein, Alta Adige Italia (Südtirol) and East Belgium (Ostbelgien)
>>
>>1260977
Bremen also lacks snow and mountains but has all the other things... Probably a bit of an underdog and a tad too small
>>
>>1261008
>Munich
>NRW
what did he mean by this
>>
>>1261044
Ask me directly, I'm right here, retard.

>NRW
>Munich
I didn't mean that it's in NRW, it was another suggestion altogether.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>1260977
Salzburg is a good choice but it doesn't feel very German, it has a heavy Austrian feel to it, moderate snow, good skiing nearby

Innsbruck is also great, lots of snow, also very Tyrol looking, great skiing close by

Also you should consider Alsace, it's a German and French speaking part of France that has some extremely German feeling cities that get good amounts of snow

Shame you can't do Switzerland they got the best winter landscapes

Pic is how Salzburg looks from the old town
>>
>>1261045
Don't go to NRW, too many people not the kind you want to meet. Salzburg is one of the best cities on the planet you can visit during winter. Munich and basicly any other bavarian city are still awesome
>>
>>1261057
Oh and I forgot, if your main goal is learning german stay away from Austria/Switzerland or rural bavaria. We don't speak german
>>
>>1261058
Rural Austria too, Big cities in Austria and Switzerland speak German
>>
>>1261061
They all speak a dialect, no the kind of german you want to improve your own german on. The swiss, austrian and bavarian dialect are so far away from standard german you could call them their own language.
The standard Swiss and standard Austrian german even has their own Duden that is not compatible with the German german Duden. That goes as far as a swiss teacher will mark a correct german german sentence as wrong and the other way around.

For OP if you want to improve your german your best bet would be Wolfsburg or Hannover. Not pretty cities or winter wonderlands but they speak the clearest standard german and at a no so fast pace.
It's pretty much like a german language immersion class with a native german teacher that gives you a chance to catch up.
>>
>>1261073
Bavarian/Austrian dialect isn't really that hard ro understand. Especially in the bigger cities you shouldn't really have a problem.
>>
>>1261078
If they put some effort into speaking "standard german" it will work, but 90% don't so it's some dialect gibberish that has nothing in common with german.

>Servus I mog a halbs Helles und a Steckel Fisch
>Griass Gatt, I bekim a grasses Bier und a Grestel
>Grüzi, ii nimm e Chübel und e Cervelat
If you already mastered the german language that might be interesting but to improve "school german" a hard "common spoken" dialect is a big no no.
>>
>>1261088
I partly agree with you. Even in my home town in rural Upper Austria only about 50% of the people would talk in a dialect that may be unintelligible to a foreigner. The other half, mostly the wealthier population uses a much softer dialect that is often just slightly different than standard german. For instance:
>I hätt gern a hoibe Bier und a Schnitzl
is not really that hard for foreigners with basic german knowledge to understand. That's at least the experience I made with a lot of exchange students at my school.
But if you're somwhere in the boonies of Carinthia, then of course you're fucked.
>>
Do not listen to the "dialect-theory". If they talk in a hard dialecg, you won't understand them anyway.
You need practice, and that you can get in almost any city because there are a lot of people who speak normal german.
So you want a nice, cozy city with snow. Thats good, you should stay somewhere nice.
There we have the big 5 german cities:
Hamburg
Berlin
Köln
Frankfurt
München

All nice cities, beside Frankfurt.
München (Munich) is the most beautiful probaly and has the highest probability for snow. Problem: most expensiv.
The next nice cities with cold weather:
Leipzig
Dresden
Nürnberg

All smaller, but also nice, especially their Christmas markets.

I suggest since you stay 3 months, go to munich. A lot to do there.
What are you going to do? A course, tandem? You need to talk for practice.
>>
>>1261245
>What are you going to do? A course, tandem? You need to talk for practice.

I'm finishing level A2 now, will keep on studying a bit here in Spain, and when I get to Germany I will sign up for one of those intensive courses, pretty much 3-4 hrs of classes every day. I could also do some tandem, yeah.

I'm very interested in Hamburg and Leipzig. Also, I wanna hear more about Stuttgart and Dusseldorf, is there anything happening there? They sound like dead, industrial cities to me.
>>
>>1261256
Düsseldorf still has a few people left after that guy killed them with a chainsaw, it's not dead yet.
>>
File: Capture.png (17KB, 439x228px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
17KB, 439x228px
>>1261271
>Düsseldorf still has a few people left
>>
>>1261277
I meant dead as in nothing happening there, it feels like a city where nobody has any fun. Just my impression though.
>>
>>1261277
Are you retarded? Or just german?
>>
>>1261298
maybe both
>>
>>1261312
That is a pleonasmus.
>>
>>1261334
*pleonasm
>>
File: people_2016_lowres.jpg (838KB, 4605x3060px) Image search: [Google]
people_2016_lowres.jpg
838KB, 4605x3060px
One of the smaller German university towns like Heidelberg, Darmstadt or Göttingen might be something for you.
>>
>>1261927
Yeah, but I don't remember Göttingen being really wintery this year or the one before. Just melt and mud
>>
Not winter related, but it's a german thread so I'll ask. What are the best places for nudism now in the summer? Either beach or lake, whatever, I just wanna walk around naked for a bit.
>>
File: 20101023-DSC06337.jpg (6MB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
20101023-DSC06337.jpg
6MB, 3872x2592px
I would agree with the Heidelberg suggestion. I am currently living there, and its a fantastic city both in the Summer and Winter. Its also very international, so German courses are offered everywhere. This also allows you to make international friends and gives a nice opportunity for tandems as well. Paris is also about 6 hours away by train. The only thing I would say there is to worry about is the older generation of handworkers speak dialect, and even I have trouble understanding them sometimes.
>>
>>1261964
what are the living costs like? How much is a room in a wg, how much a small flat of my own?
>>
>>1261976
why don't you search for yourself?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.