[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Korea General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: korea.jpg (198KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
korea.jpg
198KB, 800x534px
Anyeonghaseyo!

Korea General for anyone interested in travelling to, or currently living in Korea. Feel free to ask for, or share tips about the food, culture, customs and practices.
>>
Hey guys, I'll be in Seoul in about a month's time if anyone wants to have a drink.

Also I'll be doing a YPT tour in September if anyone would like to join?
>>
How do I get a job besides ESL? Have an MBA but not Korean
>>
>>1260556
if you want the best working conditions, get a job at a western multinational and get placed in Korea. This is not so easy however.

Getting a job at a Korean company means Korean (i.e. bad) working conditions. You will also have a difficult time at Korean companies without Korean ability.
>>
let's say I have completely average qualifications, a bachelor's degree in a non-educational field, with some volunteer work instructing (American) children.

If I teach english in korea for ~5 years, not living extravagantly but also not being a frugal hermit in a tiny village either, how much money can I realistically expect to save up before returning?
>>
>>1260649
$10,000 a year is completely reasonable without being frugal
Upwards of $15000 if you want to be boring and not participate in the nightlife.

I went on several trips to different countries in my two years there, went out partying almost every weekend,, went on a lot of dates went shopping, had a gf. Even with all of things things I saved $20,000 after the 2 year contract.

But dude. 5 years teaching ESL in is going to rot your mind and fuck with your psyche. I never met anyone interesting or cool that taught there for an extended period. Most come in 1-3 years then bounce back to home, or they marry a korean.
>>1260556
hope you can speak korean really well if you're trying to get a non-teaching job
>>
>>1260687
long term esl teachers in asia really don't have the best reputation, you are totally correct.

i wonder if the long term esl teaching fucks with their psyche or they were just shitty people and that's why they are stuck teaching esl. chicken or egg problem right there.
>>
>>1260687
>Upwards of $15000 if you want to be boring and not participate in the nightlife.
well, if being there for 5 years rots your mind maybe I'll take this route instead so I can leave earlier.

I can travel and party when I get back to the west, I just want to save my shekels right now to pay for more college.
>>
KIMCHI
I
M
C
H
I
>>
is there like a SUPER basic "guide for idiots" of teaching english in Korea? Whenever I google they're always mentioning things that I have no idea about, like: lesson plans, interviews, epik application, making reference to different types of korean school and stuff.

I'm not a teacher or have ever done any educational work, but I'm willing to do whatever is needed. I just don't really understand what's needed because all the guides and articles I'm reading assume you have a basic understanding of teaching english in korea already.
>>
>>1261054
also I keep reading that the job market is shitty and only going to get harder and harder... then I check the date -- anywhere from 3-5 years ago.

if they thought it was downhill in 2012 then surely it must be really shitty by now right?
>>
>>1261054
>>1261062
I'd recommend a CELTA or TOEFL certificate of some sort, CELTA if you're really serious about it because it's worth the price. If you're just going for a year i'd get something cheaper.

English is in high demand in Korea and will be for the near foreseeable future. Everything about the success of the Korean people depends on English scores. TOEFL, TOEIC, TEPS, etc they need high scores for good jobs or good universities. You'll find a job without issues.

However the economy took a shit due to a lot of shipbuilding companies going bankrupt several years ago which had a domino effect on other businesses. They also lowered the requirements for some of the tests. You won't find a fancy gig with bare-bone requirements anymore. But if you have qualifications you can find one still. Then there are jobs that can be hit or miss. Do your research, learn the red flags before you accept their contract.

Plenty of private places still only care about looking young and white because that's what the parents want but these places will have a higher chance of being shittastic prompting a potential midnight run. Do your research.

The job market is harder but I'd still recommend it to anyone interested. Don't be discouraged.

I started there February 2015. Found a wonderful hagwon with a really good boss. Stayed for 2 years till May 2017. I just got back and now i'm getting my masters in teaching Math/English.
>>
>>1261116
do they really check the quality of your TEFL certifications?

one of the main reasons I want this gig is to help pay off my loans. so obviously if I'm stuck paying $1200 for a certification course its going to set me back quite a bit.
will those online courses that go for like $150-200 fly? or are they scams?
>>
>>1260553
>YPT in September
Was actually looking into doing the same one provided I can get the time off work. Would love to visit the south afterwards just to see the contrast.
>>
>>1261119
If it's a fancy gig they'll note the CELTA other places probably don't care at all. You could probably just lie and say you have one and i doubt the average private school would verify.

It's honestly just icing on the cake it's not going to make or break getting a job in general but it will help if you have your bar set high for something specific.

The higher priority is good interview skills, little accent and show you care with the emails.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.