[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How far up north have you been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11

File: Arctic_Circle_sign.jpg (1MB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
Arctic_Circle_sign.jpg
1MB, 2272x1704px
Hello /trv

I was wondering how far north you have reached and especially how (place share latitude). Maximum is obviously 90°N

So I will start with 69°N Town of Alta, Noway.
Took a flight to Oslo, train to Narvik and a 9h bus drive to Alta https://youtu.be/wzFMJyzzIlI
>>
>>1260253
Edinburgh, 56°N. Not very far North, desu.

Furthest south? Ensenada, Mexico. 31°N

>tfw middle latitudes
>>
>>1260253
Orkney, which is 59 Degrees north
>>
>>1260272
OP here. How did you reach the orkney islands? Small plane i guess? Starting from?
>>
>>1260253
Not so far North. Petrozavodsk, Republic of Karelia, Russia, at 61.7N. By train from Petersburg.

Actually probably a few points north of the city in Karelia--I was there for several weeks and did quite a bit of local sightseeing. But the city was the northernmost big place.
>>
File: bun is sad.png (40KB, 229x347px) Image search: [Google]
bun is sad.png
40KB, 229x347px
>>1260253
43ºn
Wisconsin dells Wisconsin
>>
>>1260288
OP here
Not bad. I know the place I am currenty in Kem.
>>
File: that doesn't look osha approved.jpg (288KB, 922x692px) Image search: [Google]
that doesn't look osha approved.jpg
288KB, 922x692px
furthest north: helsinki, 60°n
furthest south: phnom penh, 11°n

no pics from helsinki (2000, pre-digital, so not on my computer), so here's one from phnom penh instead.
>>
File: iceland.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
iceland.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
64 degrees north, in Reykjavik.

Wasn't a fan of the city, honestly.
>>
>>1260253
I have friends who have been tot eh North Pole, but their parents paid for it, and I'm not willing to pay $15k to say i went to some place that was at the top of the earth
>>
61 N, Loen, Norway
>>
Furthest north: 69°N Disko Island, Greenland

Furthest south: 53°S Punta Arenas, Chile
>>
>>1260253
North - St. Petersburg
South - Buenos Aires
East - Shanghai
West - Orlando
>>
>>1260599
>East - Shanghai
>West - Orlando
need a starting reference point for those, anon. because coming from california the furthest east i've been is moscow, and the furthest west i've been is siem reap in cambodia. unless we're counting just straight longitude, which would be retarded (since unlike latitude 0 and 90 are arbitrarily assigned).
>>
>>1260286
They operate flights to Orkney from Aberdeen
>>
>>1260628
thx for the info!
>>
I live in minneapolis. Furthest north, iceland. South, Peru. East, Germany. West, Hawaii.
>>
North - Arkhangelsk, Russia
South - La Plata, Argentina
East - Yuzhno- Sakhalinsk, Russia
West - San Francisco, USA
>>
>>1260253
For me, 64.3271° N or thereabouts in Iceland, 43.5256 S° in NZ
>>
>>1261486
Looking at East and West from home, I've been as far East as Umm al Quwain in UAE, just East of Dubai, and as far West as Cha-Am in Thiland.

What the Hell, let's add altitude -- highest point for me is Quito in Ecuador, lowest is sea level on any number of beaches, not counting an hour or two spent in a "Coral World" reef viewing anti-tower in the Bahamas and in USVI, which was maybe about ten feet down.
>>
>>1261487
>lowest
dead sea, -1350' (was there in '97, so it was higher than it is now)
>highest
mt. whitney, 14505'
>>
Ill be going to Kirkenes in Norway very close to the Russian boarder this January, going with the senpai (because Ill never be able to pay to travel in Norway by myself) to see the Northern lights and experience Arctic living for a few days. Gonna be getting the tourist boat down to Oslo having a look at the towns along the way.

Will be well within the Arctic circle, my guess is the most north we will go is about 70°58′41″N 25°58′29″E (around Nordkapp cape).

Anyone been to Kirkenes? Anything much to see? I kinda want to go see the boarder with Russia cause ive never been to Russia before, can I just bush bash and go to a tiny local town without having to go through passport control and getting a visa?

(& Furthest south I've been is Wilson's Prom in Australia)
>>
>>1261542
Yes, I was in Kirkenes last month.
First refering to the topic: Kirkenes is a bit lower as the OPs location Alta.

Second: Kirkenes is a small town, so there is a limited amount of landmarks you can see. For example the church in the very center of the town: https://youtu.be/QzNafmZGmIw

Third: There are busses daily from the Scandic hotel leaving to Murmansk. One operator is called sputnik www.pasvikturist.no

Crossing the border is simple as always with Russia. You arrive in Skorskog after 15 minutes after the bus started in Kirkenes. You all get out of the bus and the norwegian border patrol checks your passport. Everybody back in the bus. 500 meters later: Russian checkpoint, they check Passport, Visa and in rare cases your baggage.

I do not know your nationality but I am pretty sure you need to apply for the visa in advance.
>>
Furthest north for me is just Copenhagen, Denmark at 55.7°N. Would love to go further north, Svalbard, Iceland and Greenland are still on my list

Southernmost is Melbourne, Australia at 37.8°S. Not sure I'll top that anytime soon
>>
File: Deco-Room-e1430993069698.jpg (61KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Deco-Room-e1430993069698.jpg
61KB, 800x533px
>>1260253
69° Alta, Norway on a day trip from northern Sweden.

Visited Sorrisniva Igloo Hotel near by. Quiet Amazing. I would go to a northern destination over the Beach any day. The air is just so crisp and staying inside is cozy af
>>
>>1261640
well, this means you tied with OP. You both have been to 69°N. Nobody here from Canada who has been up north?
>>
>>1261643
Don't forget >>1260388
It's a close tie between Op, me and Disko Island.
>>
>>1260253
63.49°
>>
Talinn, Estonia at 59°N
>>
>>1260253
I'm a Floridian...I've flown over the pole a few times, which doesn't count of course, but good window views.

My two highest Northern trips are:
65.0729° N Stikkisholmur on my tour of the Snaefellsnes peninsula in Iceland. Probably never been anywhere as consistently windy in my life, even in a hurricane.

65N again for Manley Hot Springs and for Denali Park Village before visiting Denali's Kantishna. I didn't go up higher though because I heard the roads were closed for unauthorized traffic. Ice Road Truckers only, I guess!
>>
>>1260253
So far, Circle Alaska 65.8° N

I live in AK though. Deadhorse is 70.2° N, should I drive up there?
>>
>>1261672
There are places in AK that are more up north. for example Anchorage alone is more north than Whitehorse. You could make a roadtrip to Nome and tell us about it (inc. pictures)
>>
>>1261677
I'm in Anchorage currently at 61.2° N

You cannot drive to Nome and it is further south than Circle, where I've already been. It is also much further south than Deadhorse which is the terminus of the northernmost highway in the United States.
>>
>>1260253
Östersund, Sweden at 63° N.

Plot twist: I'm from Norway, but I've never been further north in my own country than Bergen. Shameful display, I know. I want to take a road trip from the south to the north, but travel here is so goddamn expensive ;_;

Might as well do the rest:
South: Mombasa, Kenya at 4° S
West: Swansea, UK at 3° W
East: Bangkok, Thailand at 100° E
Lowest: Dead Sea on the Palestinian side
Highest: Mt. Longonot, Kenya at 2,776 m
>>
>>1261681
Sry my fault. As mentioned in my post I was talking about Whitehorse. I mixed it up with Deadhorse. But you are right, Deadhorse is far more north.
>>
I've taken the Hurtigruten from Bergen to
Kirkenes and back, stopping en route at Honningsvåg at 70°58′51″N.

And an Antarctic cruise stopping on the Antarctic Peninsula at Hope Bay, at 63°23′S.

East to Finike in southwestern Turkey, by gulet, at 30°09′E.

West to Chongqing, starting a cruise on the Yangtze, at 106°34′00″E.

(I measure east and west relative to my home in the US.)
>>
Home: NYC
Farthest south: Baja peninsula, Mexico (Not counting when I was in Belize as an infant)
West: San Francisco
East: Berlin and Copenhagen are the only times I have been east of the atlantic, so I guess Berlin.
North: Mont Tremblant, Quebec
>>
>>1260253
North: 64 degrees N; Reykjavik, Iceland
South: 16 degrees S; Arequipa, Peru
East: 44 degrees E; Nizhny, Russia
West: 157 degrees W; Lahaina, US
>>
>>1261857
Copenhagen is further north than Mont Tremblant.
>>
File: 20150103_155424.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20150103_155424.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
North: 60°11' N; Oslo Airport
South: 24°32' N; Key West
East: 30°45' E; Odessa
West: 122°30' W; San Fransisco

Unless you count being in the air and then in that case it would be ~67° because I flew north of Iceland crossing the Atlantic
>>
71°, at the globe at North Cape in Norway.
>>
>>1261965
I guess that makes you the leader at the moment with 71°N. Did you take does awful tourist busses to the globe? They come and go withing 10 minutes frequency. Little do they know it is not the most northern point in Norway lol
>>
North: 45° N; Bozeman, Montana
South: 33° N; Atlanta, Georgia
East: 19° E ; Budapest, Hungary
West: 111 W; Bozeman, Montana
>>
>>1261542
nothing to see in kirkenes for tourists tbqh
t. live here
plenty to do if you do live here though like going to the local cabin/russia in the weekends
>>
>>1261695
No problemo. I would fly up to Barrow, but the rt ticket is around $500 and lodging is probably $200 usd a night. Too much to get somewhere where nobody really wants to go anyway!
>>
>>1262134

I'm only in Kirkines for a day before I get on the boat that goes down the coast, so i guess that's good if there's nothing to see.

I'll be coming in the winter, any hikes I can do that wont be suicidal because of the cold or risk of getting lost in the winter because its dark all the time?

Also do you think if I went for a hike in the Tundra and 'happened' to cross the Russian boarder for a little bit the boarder police would come and arrest me? I've heard the boarder and the area in general is very, very under protected on the Russian side (As I've heard reports of Migrants crossing the boarder to try and get into Norway & Europe with no issues).

Don't wan't to get tried for espionage or anything though, I'm not american or from any NATO country though, so maybe they wouldn't care so much.
>>
>>1262323
>to cross the Russian boarder for a little bit
Listen to this guy >>1261565

Since the border bewteen Russia and Norway involves a lot of forests and can not be guarded by humans 24/7 both sides have CCTV and motion detectors.

Crossing the border illegally, will cause arrest, a fine and issues in the future to apply for a visa. Please don't be stupid
>>
59°N (Stockholm, Sweden)
51°S (Rio Gallegos, Argentina)
>>
>>1262323
you can't hike anywhere in the winter, you can ski though
you will get detained the second you step foot in russia, the border is under constant guard
>>
>>1262323
I agree with >>1262385
>>
File: Réunion emplacement monde.gif (171KB, 1500x757px) Image search: [Google]
Réunion emplacement monde.gif
171KB, 1500x757px
>>1260253
The further north I've been is Amsterdam, Netherlands. Don't know the coordinated but it's not far at all
But I've been quite far south, in Réunion Island pic related
>>
File: DennysAlaska.png (894KB, 741x552px) Image search: [Google]
DennysAlaska.png
894KB, 741x552px
64°N (Fairbanks, Alaska)
>>
File: Kirkenes.jpg (144KB, 1024x769px) Image search: [Google]
Kirkenes.jpg
144KB, 1024x769px
Partly grew up in Kirkenes at 69°N (wtf there are more than one of us here), and I've been to Svalbard once, which should be around 78°N
>>
File: Inuvik.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Inuvik.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
Inuvik NWT
68° N
>>
>>1263756
I'm the oppsite, moved here a few years ago and have never been to Svalbard
>>
Went to Edmonton, Canada and thought I was at the fucking top of the world it was so cold, only to realise it's the same lattitude as the city I fucking live in! (Dublin, 63° N degrees north) Climate could not be more different, it's very hard to believe that they're at the same location.

Furthest south:
Killimanjaro, 4° S
>>
>>1264188
should read 53, sorry. and the furthest north I've actually been would be Copenhagen at 55 north.
>>
>>1260253
Apatity 67°N
>>
>>1262323
It's the most guarded part of Russian border. There was a guy on 2ch recently, who tried to cross it illegally. It's a nightmare mode. Oh, and there is no forest there, just plain land for several km's.
>>
>>1261542
I was in the border patrol there. A lot of nice nature, so I recommend a trip to Pasvik. The river is nice and the forest is nice.
>>
>>1262329
It is guarded on both sides.
>>
>>1262323
Don't cross the border. It's very well watched and you will get caught, either by norwegians or russians. Don't forget its the eea border.
>>
>>1264211
>There was a guy on 2ch recently, who tried to cross it illegally.
link?
>>
>>1260253
Longyearbyen, Svalbard 78° N
>>
>>1264231
Here's a summary: whitegospodin dot blogspot dot ru/2017/05/blog-post.html
>>
File: bRJ9Eki.jpg (388KB, 1440x962px) Image search: [Google]
bRJ9Eki.jpg
388KB, 1440x962px
70.2556° N. Probably a bit further than that, actually, I walked out of town and jumped into the water of the Arctic Ocean.

Rode to Prudhoe Bay by motorcycle. (pic is mine)
>>
I live at 65 'N, furthest I've been is 67'22 when visiting relatives. Not a big fan of the northern weather, it is like Skyrim 24/7.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.