[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most interesting third world cities?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0482.png (3MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0482.png
3MB, 2048x1536px
A lot of people only ever travel to the third world for the nature of it and stay out of the cities, I was wondering if you guys knew of any interesting places, not nightlife wise, just interesting.
>>
Guess that depends on what you define as "third-world."

I've enjoyed time in the following cities, in no particular order:

>New Delhi (lived for two years)
>Mumbai
>Kolkata

>Bogota
>Medellin

>Leon (Nicaragua)

>Belgrade

>Sarajevo

>Istanbul (not sure if Turkey is technically third-world, but whatever)

>Tbilisi

I find people in developing countries to be more approachable than their first-world counterparts.
>>
>>1260080
Varanasi is amazing. A very special place.

Pnom Penh is a bit of a shithole but quite fun./
>>
>>1260080
Read a few times here and on some other travel sites that Jakarta has an interesting youth culture and has come some way from it's urban hellscape reputation thanks to some urban renewal programs run by the last couple of mayors.
>>
>>1260098
>serbia is third world
Top bants
>>
>>1260915
>implying it isn't
The whole peninsula is literally third world except maybe Croatia
>>
>>1260922
(you)
>>
>>1260080
The cities I know
- Brasília
- Rio de Janeiro
- Ouro Preto
- Buenos Aires
>>
>>1260922
The "third world" was a Cold War term that has no meaning any more. You just show Ameritrump ignorance by arguing over whether it applies to some countries today.
>>
File: gimage_646.jpg.300x1500_q95.jpg (111KB, 300x404px) Image search: [Google]
gimage_646.jpg.300x1500_q95.jpg
111KB, 300x404px
>>1260922

I don't think anyone else here hates Serbia more than me, but economically and civilly, Serbia is mid-second world. As a cold-war term it's also second world. Balkans in general are /comfy/ second world countries that just get by and have enough for a peaceful and fruitful life.

>up and coming economy
>no rampant petty crime
>poo in loo actually
>no civil war

Not Serbia, but Balkans also:

>EU members
>NATO members

Just sod off. This is not even /pol/-tier.

>Istanbul
I don't think you've been there. It's just a non-oil Muslim city.
>>
>>1260968
>As a cold-war term it's also second world.
Yugoslavia was non-aligned and therefore "third world". Tito was one of the main guys behind the non-aligned movement.

We should be talking about high/mid/low income countries and the human development index. And Serbia is middle in both cases.
>>
>>1260968
>It's just a non-oil Muslim city.

Opinion disregarded
>>
>>1260940

Absolutely nobody uses the term 'third-world' in reference to Cold War demarcations.

>>1260968

Sorry, Senpai, but Serbia is third-world even in the Cold War sense of the term.

As another Anon mentioned, Yugoslavia was at the center of the non-aligned movement. Tito was on such bad terms with Stalin that the Soviet dictator sent assassins after him on a number of occasions.
>>
>>1261060
>Absolutely nobody uses the term 'third-world' in reference to Cold War demarcations.
Valid point. But people stopped using the term for an unrelated reason. The reason is that it's a bloody stupid, useless, misleading term.

There are areas of Morocco with higher HDIs than areas of America. If I wanted I could say that America is third world and Morocco is not.
>>
>>1260968
>I don't think anyone else here hates Serbia more than me
are you from croatia or smth
>>
>>1261084
>There are areas of Morocco with higher HDIs than areas of America. If I wanted I could say that America is third world and Morocco is not.

Absurd. A higher overall percent of Morocco is third world.

And basically none of America is third world level. Even the worst poverty stricken inner city neighborhoods aren't third world tier, which is to say no running water, slum shacks with no doors and windows, etc.
>>
>>1261084

There are neighborhoods in India, Nigeria, and Haiti more prosperous than the typical American town, but people tend to focus on how ordinary people live their lives rather than a few, privileged exceptions.
>>
Hanoi is great. Super interesting stuff for sale at both tourist markets and local markets. Great street food; it's the pho capital of the world, after all.
Pretty much every big city in Morocco is fantastic, though not really 3rd world.

I went to Dakar, Senegal expecting an old colonial city with a reputation for the best music scene in Africa. I was disappointed on all counts.
>>
>>1261093
You've missed my point. The term is ripe for exploitation and misuse. It's a weak term, and nobody who knows anything about the world uses it.
>>
>>1261110

I suppose your knowledge of the world is vastly superior to those of us entertaining OP's use of the term.

I suppose the proper response would have been to pretend we had no idea what this thread was about, rather than recognizing that 'third-world' is used colloquially to refer to 'developing' or 'poor' countries.
>>
>>1261108
How did you like Senegal in general apart from this capital let-down?
>>
>>1261110
>You've missed my point.

Dude you have no point, you are just arguing (and losing) a bullshit argument of semantics. Get real.
>>
>>1260098
I don't understand the appeal of Colombia, seems like every other South American country trumps it.

Want to go on a jungle trek? Uruguay
Want to eat good food? Argentina
Want to see ancient wonders? Peru
Want to climb vast mountains? Chile
Want to relax on lovely beaches? Brazil
Want prostitutes or suicide? Venezuela
Want to start your own cult colony and drink the Kool-Aid? Guyana.

What are you going to do in Colombia? Snort coke?
>>
>>1261169
Want to practice Spanish or retire? Ecuador
>>
>>1261169
>>1261170

Thanks for your valuable insight, Anon.
>>
>>1261169
>implying you can't snort cheap coke all over latin america.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.