[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has your perception of your home country changed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 23986206.jpg (80KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
23986206.jpg
80KB, 520x520px
>>
>>1259971
When compared to the rest of the world, Germans are, indeed, unimaginative, misanthropic, bureaucratic, conservative shitbags. So am I.
>>
I'm Dutch. Perception didnt really change: we have great infrastructure, great people but its boring as fuck when its not summer.

I am just way more content with what we have here: the fact that you can ride a bicycle everywhere, the lack of any sort of corruption, the weather that doesn't kill you, etc.

>>1259972
Germans are great. But I usually visit Berlin, which isn't really germany.
>>
>>1259971
America

I used to rail on it in my youth, but while I still understand we have lots of problems I'm lucky to have been born here and can see there is plenty of good things going on.
>>
>>1259971
>USA
> visited 28 countries
> lived in 3
I appreciate the food and convenience culture a lot more.

I appreciate the people a lot less.
>>
>The Netherlands
>Around 20 countries
>Lived in 2 including my home country

I appreciate our infrastructure more
I appreciate our consumer market more (stores and even commercials on tv)
I appreciate our business mindset compared to global level a lot more

I depreciate this "village" feel every city has here
I depreciate lack of variety in landscape
>>
>>1260047
>depreciate this "village" feel every city has here
I depreciate lack of variety in landscape

Kek Americans, girls in particular, LOVE that about the Netherlands.
>>
>burger
>dozen or so countries

Hate how disconnected we are on the local level. In the developing world you know every family on the block/building/village/w.e. I live in an affluent neighborhood in San Diego and I don't really know any of my neighbors on a intimate level and that's shitty.

Also hate how fucking work obsessed we are as a culture. We work like dogs so the top .001% can live lifestyles the rest of us can only dream of. Why do we do this? I accept the fact that there will always be winners and losers in any system, but I will never understand the 'protestant work ethic meme' or why so many of my fellow peasants fall for it. 40/hours a week with 2 weeks is essentially slavery.
>>
I'm from the United States.

Like another Anon said, I've developed a more positive feeling for America. When I was younger, I also used to criticize our politics and public policies at every given opportunity.

While there's still a lot I dislike about the American way of life, I can definitely appreciate what's good about here versus much of what's out there. Between 35 countries and two years in India, I've come to terms with the fact that I didn't get anywhere near the worst lot, despite not coming from a particularly affluent family.

I've also seen where we're lacking, in regards to functional public transportation and interesting cities.

One of my biggest gripes nowadays is how isolated and individualistic we Americans tend to be - we live for work and rarely meet with anyone outside of it. We box ourselves up in cars, hardly make use of our sidewalks, and just aren't very friendly beyond superficial hospitality.

Guess I could be exaggerating - I know Europeans always say the opposite - but a lot of the friends I have who have moved to the United States from overseas have said the same thing.
>>
>>1260069
Leaf here, moved back only a few months ago after living in Asia for a few years. Holy shit is this ever true. How are people so detached from each other here? I moved to a new city upon coming back and it's almost impossible to meet people, whereas I could make a friend just walking down the street before.
>>
>>1260047
>depreciate
Just letting you know, depreciate means to lose value. I know it's confusing, but it doesn't work the way you used it.
>>
Born and raised in Belgium which I hated then. Moved to the UK and realised Belgium was OK. Moved back to Belgium, then realised the UK isn't 100% the shithole I made it out to be. Oh well. Each place will have its up- and downsides.
>>
>>1260103
>I could make a friend just walking down the street before.
As sperglord I would seriously wish to know how that works. Teach me senpai
>>
>>1259971
Poland
Not really, I always knew this place is a shithole.
I guess one thing I learned to appreciate more is the weather, it's really awful all around the globe, just in different ways
>>
>>1260095
It's interesting how our experiences and perceptions are complete opposites.

I had an extremely positive opinion of the United States in my youth, and I continued to be very patriotic believed America was the greatest country in the world in nearly every category into young adulthood as well.

After traveling my opinion has changed drastically, for the most part I don't really like living in the US anymore and am working on immigrating elsewhere very soon.

However the one thing I do still like about the US is our individuality, and custom of self-reliance.

t. Seattle resident who loves the 'freeze' and contributes to it regularly
>>
File: 1402942415574.jpg (85KB, 500x471px) Image search: [Google]
1402942415574.jpg
85KB, 500x471px
>>1260095
>>1260419
Fellow Washingtonian here, Olympia.

I used to think Asia was a heavenly place clearly superior to western life. I was a huge fucking anime hentai fapping wow playing otaku. I was an "expert" on the countries that I never visited

I lived there for 2 years, traveled to Korea, Russia, Japan and New Zealand.

Coming back to America I really appreciate our confidence and polite friendliness. I used to have pussy on a pedestal and thought all Western women were trash, sluts. But after banging out foreign poon and getting the "bitter virgin" disease cured I really enjoy hanging around the grand majority of Americans.
Things I don't like:
>Everything closes early compared to Korea
>Public trans portion is poor, hence everyone having a car. But after chilling on buses for 2 years I got comfortable with that. Driving is such a hassle sometimes.
>God damn our portion sizes for junk food and soda are fucking huge
>Americans are closed off from the rest of the world in terms of music and culture so it's hard to relate with some of them when i want to talk about some dope new track from Sik-k, or Moomi Troll but luckily i have some well traveled friends that I feel more open with.

Things I like:
>local weed dispensaries are everywhere. $5 for a solid joint.
>high confidence, friendliness
>raw milk, with the exception of New Zealand I couldn't find unpasteurized milk in any other country.
>having casual conversations with strangers and it feeling natural both ways
>openness of conversation topics that you can talk about. No holds barred. Nothing really taboo with the exception of race shit
>America has a huge influence in music, film and media on the global scale and most people really enjoy consuming those. Makes me feel more patriotic.
>>
>>1260683
Fuck off about the soda, that's one of the things I like coming home too. A free refill is so much better than having to pay twice as much for a tiny glass bottle everytime you want a drink.

Also a true Washingtonian would call it pop, not 'soda' you Califag.
>>
>>1260693
>Washingtonian elitism over saying soda vs pop
wat

Also, being away for 2 years and speaking English with people all over the world is going to change your vocabulary a bit, sir.
>>
>>1260698
Kidding, sorta. Where'd you go anon?
Have you tried Thumbs Up cola?
>>
>>1260716
I lived in Busan, Korea for the 2 years. Did everything there is to do.

Spent every vacation going to another country.
Twice to Japan 1 week each(Miyazaki, Beppu, Kobe, Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo, Fukuoka),
1 week in Vladivostok, Russia,
1 week in the northern island new Zealand

Crazy stories in each of them.

I didn't have a chance to try Thumbs Up Cola unfortunately.

How about your travels?
I just got back to Olympia last week. Getting my masters in teaching for math/english started.
>>
>>1260739
I just got back from Thailand, I loved it and regret not going sooner, I was afraid everyone would think I was a sex tourist when I went, and indeed they did. Although I'm open to sex tourism I never actually got around to it because there was so much to see and do that it didn't interest me. I spent about a day in South Korea, tried Pocari Sweat, it tasted as imagine antifreeze does.

I lived in Germany for 5 months, studying abroad. Great place all around. Safe, clean picturesque in many places.

I already have a liberal arts degree, I'm returning to college in the fall for nursing.
>>
>>1260760
>I was afraid everyone would think I was a sex tourist when I went, and indeed they did.

Why? SEA is probably the most popular 'backpacking trail' in the world at the moment. Unless you are old and lecherous looking, no one would assume that. Probably half the people in hostels are young women anyway.
>>
>>1260766
That's what I said. Isn't it one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world?
>>
>>1260357
You already know how to

Don't be a sperglord.
>>
>>1259971
USA #1, all other countries is the land of the gays
>>
>>1260103
Rampant individualism. Good if you use it right, but the degree that we use individualism to just atomizes our society. It's why people scoff at patriotism today, something that would probably get you lynched 100 years ago; people don't feel they owe any loyalty to their community
>>
Young burger that's been living in Korea for a year. Korean ethnicity but no language ability

greater appreciation for america's
>personal freedoms
>microbreweries
>space & geography
>confidence & non Confucian hierarchy
>gyms

greater distaste for america's
>fatties
>pop music
>infrastructure & public transport
>excessive individualism
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.