[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rabies in China

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

File: 335.jpg (38KB, 373x415px) Image search: [Google]
335.jpg
38KB, 373x415px
Oy, I'm in China soon (Shanghai, Peking, Huangshan). Couldn't get a vaccine done in time, so I will go there without being protected against.
Given where I go, do I even need it in the first place? I'm sure it's always recommended, but I was wondering how bad it is needed.
>>
>>1259539
No rabies vaccination and you're going to Peking?

You're so fucked
>>
>>1259778
Why?
>>
>>1259778
lmao fuck off it's not necessary
>>
I got hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhus vaccinations... None of them were mandatory afaik, just nice to have.

Have some wet wipes on you (buy them in China, much cheaper), maybe some disinfectant lotion... Which doesn't substitute washing hands, but helps if you can only find running water and not soap.

At home you might not notice how many time you touch with your hands the things you eat... Just be a bit more mindful of that while traveling.

Even the most rundown and dirt cheap places have electric kettles. Just make it a habit to fill it all up, and boil some water as soon as you get to your accomodation. I mean mineral water is cheap and nice, but just to spare some plastic bottles... Boiled water should be okay, I drank it every day. I started to wash my teeth with boiled water, I think me and my friends got lazy and might have washed our teeth with tap water after a few weeks, but it's probably a bad idea.

tl;dr it's bad, but it's not as bad as you think.
>>
>>1259878
>I got hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhus vaccinations
I do too, Pollio etc as well. It's required to have them, more or less.

Can't I just buy plastic bottled water there and that's fine? I like carbonated water more anyways, although I'll see how much of a bitch that is to get.
Also, I don't think I would get rabies through the water... ?

But thanks for the advice in any case, it's greatly appreciated.
The issue of food poisining seems to be moreso a problem as their regulations regarding fish are pretty shit, so I will keep that in mind. At least I'm only there for two weeks.
>>
>>1259879
Bottled water is fine, just buy it from actual stores like 7-11 or vendors, not from random people just selling water as it's reported they reuse bottles and fill them with tap.

What I did is buy a giant container of water and filled up my canteen at the hotel everyday. If and when I ran out then I'd start buying more bottled water. I even brushed my teeth with tap water as I forgot. Every hotel I stayed at however gives you a few free bottles of water a day.

Also just got the first part of Hep A shot and was fine for 10 days.
>>
>>1259539
why are people so afraid of everything?
>>
>>1259539
I see /pol/ managed to invade /trv/ too with their anti vaccination bullshit.

Why would you want to risk your vacation and your moeny for a "hurr durr evil jews want your moeny" meme is beyond me.
>>
>>1259879
Yeah, bottled water is fine, they sell it everywhere, it's cheap (or free at your hotel).
I just prefer to use as little plastic as possible.
>>
>>1261188
>i want a vaccine
>pol says vaccines are evil
Some things you take too seriously, sometimes you need to get out of your room. Control your anger. If you get this frustrated over literally nothing, your life must be a mess. Please sort it out and make this board a better place thereafter.
>>
How expensive are vaccines? Is it cheaper to get them in the country upon arrival?
>>
>>1259539
Just don't let any Chinese people bite you and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1261307
I... uh, what. Don't you have health care.
>>
I'm going to yunnan in 2 weeks and i haven't got any vaccinations that I know of. I just made an appointment to see a doctor, will that be enough time to get the required vaccinations? I feel like I might already have a lot of them because of work and previous travelling
>>
>>1261515
>I'm going to yunnan in 2 weeks
That's only long enough for a couple of the vaccines. HepB is normally three shots, 2-4 weeks apart...but even the first shot will give you temporary immunity, the 3 shots are for life-long immunity (well worth getting though, especially if you're a slut but even just eating with chopsticks from shared dishes on a table can spread it).

Several vaccines are one-shot though so you can get them, HepA is in that list. You can start an anti-Malarial drug now and it should be effective.

Yunnan is sub-tropical outside of the Tibetan-border regions so a lot of the nasty stuff is around and most of the tourism in Yunnan is in rural areas where the diseases are more active.
>>
>>1261552
It turns out I already had a lot of the vaccines but I got a hepatitis A and typhoid vaccine
>>
>>1259539
Maybe just buy travel insurance. That can be done right up until your flight. If you get a dog bite, you hail tail it home as a medical emergency and get treatment at home on your regular health plan.

Of course while you are in China, avoid camping, touching zoo animals in petting situations, going to bat caves, and maybe don't ride a bike and stick to areas without wild dogs. Bats that might bite you while sleeping means keeping screens and windows closed, I guess.>>1261192
>I just prefer to use as little plastic as possible.
Except while traveling, your health in the immediate sense in a polluted hellhole is more important than your carbon footprint for a few days.
>>
>>1262626
>dog bite
>treatment at home
Wouldn't that be kind of too late if I get it treated only after arriving at home?

>touching zoo animals
I would have thought, of all the animals, that they would be safe. I know China is a shit place and all, and their regulations about health and all that is kinda shit, but... even that?

What would be areas with wild dogs anyways? I will mostly stick to the main areas of Shanghai and Beijing, as well as Huangshan and Nanjing for a few days. I suppose that will be fine since I'm not going to any rural places nor the bad site of town.
>>
>>1262628
>touching zoo animals
Petting zoos aren't real zoos so they're probably even worse than regular zoos and those aren't always that great.

>>1262628
>What would be areas with wild dogs anyways? I will mostly stick to the main areas of Shanghai and Beijing
Those are well known to be overrun with wild dogs in the slums like Sanlitun where foreigners hang out. The older Chinese residential suburbs are fine though.
>>
>>1262628
>Wouldn't that be kind of too late if I get it treated only after arriving at home?
It'd take you only a few hours to get home. It's a 14 day treatment plan. They really don't like to administer the meds for rabies, so there's usually some 1-2 days of discussion and blood testing to make sure, and sometimes if the animal is caught, they watch it for 10 days before they treat the human with the meds. So, yea, you'd be okay to wait a day and get home where you're back on your plan.

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/
>>
>>1262631
well there are safari zoos where you can pet and feed small monkeys n shit. p sure theyre fine tho as theyd be overrun by people suing them
>>
>>1262626
so why buy travel insurance if you go home immediatly after getting rabies. most countries have health insurance regardless. I reckon youd get that shit done in China
>>
>>1262646
No sane person wants the hospital in a foreign country over home.
Travel insurance isn't necessarily health insurance. It's trip interruption/cancellation insurance. It would reimburse you for some $3500 last minute ticket price, hotels, and other expenses you incur to leave immediately.
>>
>>1262649
ah so travel insurance allows you to pay fpr a plane ticket?
>>
>>1259539
im doing india next month should i bother with rabies? its like £200 and immunise you just buys you time
>>
>>1262732
*doesnt immunise you
>>
>>1259539
Just get the Rabies if you are gonna be exposed to stray dogs in 3rd world shitholes. I only got it this year after several bad experiences over the last years. Even if you get bitten by a dog chances are low that it got the Rabies. But if you do get it then you are dead. Only one case got alive after Rabies and they had to follow an experimental protocol inducing coma and shit. In a nutshell, if you are gonna hike in the boonies or go to remote places get it
>>
>>1259539
just don't....just don't.....EAT A DOG WITH RABIES
>>
>>1262737
>if you get it you are dead
lol no
>>
>>1262750
you're right. I meant if you develop the symptoms. Either way, better not risking it.
>>
>>1262765
incubation time is 3-8 weeks depending where you were bitten
>>
>>1259879
if you are worried about clean water... drink beer.
>>
>>1261332
I'm from Scandinavia (welfare masterrace) and we still have to pay for vaccines
>>
>>1262885
In Germany depending on the Krankenkasse you just pay like 4 euros per vaccine
>>
>>1262954
Or nothing.
>>
>>1262986
Which one do you have?
>>
Well I did have a professor who needed some rabies shots because of a racoon that attacked him on a run

>southern life
>another reason guns are great, but he kicked the thing instead, busting his foot and pissing it off

You'd want the shots for woodland areas like in va or other places where mammals run rampant.

I suggest you visit mexico and avoid the cartels
>>
>>1263147
AOK
>>
>>1262633
>They really don't like to administer the meds for rabies
That's because even the meds are dangerous and can cause brain damage in some cases. It's best to make sure that the meds will cause less damage than the disease.
>>
>>1262800
Can be much longer if you're bit in the foot. Case studies of up to years. If you get symptoms, you're already fucked. Watch out for that hydrophobia.

>>1263484
No. Risk of death from rabies greatly outweighs any risks of treatment. Usually decision to whether or not to release treatment is a risk calculation, mostly aggravated domestic pet versus non-aggravated wild animal. Proper treatment is Rabies immuneglobulin to bite wound + 4 dose post-exposure vaccination series.

t.MD
>>
>>1263501
If there is risk in treatment involved (which there is with any vaccination, the chance of it happening being almost zero), wouldn't that mean that people would die more after having been infected by rabies, yet being treated, nonetheless?
Are there even cases where one gets symptoms in less than three weeks, excluding children?

Also, how would one "convince" the doctor to be treated then if doctors are more cautious of doing so?
>>
>>1263508
Depends on what you mean by infected. Rabies virus travels along the nerves which is why latency can be so long. Symptoms are from nerve infection, which then travel to the brain explaining the confusion/hydrophobia/etc. The purpose of RIG and vaccination is to prevent rabies virus from infecting the nerve. Rabies is pretty much 100% fatal although there is the Milwaukee protocol.

You can get symptoms less than 3 weeks. If you're bit on the face, then there's less travel time from the facial nerves to the brain versus the foot. Encephalitis is the mechanism of death.

If you were bit by an unprovoked wild animal, the threshold for treatment is low.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.