[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people think New York City is so cool? I have lived in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: freedom-tower.jpg (44KB, 550x367px) Image search: [Google]
freedom-tower.jpg
44KB, 550x367px
Why do people think New York City is so cool? I have lived in Boston for most of my life and have frequented NYC several times so trust me when I say that this entire region is complete shit.

The buildings are all antiquated. The roads are poorly maintained. Infrastructure is lacking. Everything is expensive. It's crowded. The weather is awful. Government policies make it so the only place to actually do your shopping is an overpriced street-corner bodega instead of an affordable chain store. It's not even practical to live here.

I can see why someone would live here in the event of a half decent job opportunity but what the fuck is everybody else doing?

Regions like San Diego, Reno, Las Vegas, etc... are so much more interesting in my opinion.
>>
>>1258667
>what the fuck is everybody else doing?
I'm a musician and music producer living cheaply in an immigrant neighborhood in Brooklyn. I rarely work more than 10 hours a week, bought my apartment for under $200k years ago and spend about $40 a week on groceries. I have a very active social life - I have a circle of 40-50 friends I hang out with at dinner parties, bars and go out to eat with. Going out to eat is a great splurge here. You can get a great meal anywhere from $6 to $200 depending on your mood and how much you want to spend. And since the whole fucking world comes here your choices are pretty wide open. Same goes for entertainment. I catch a lot of live music too, because pretty much any act you'd want to see plays here. As for practicality, my apartment may be small, but I'm only a 15 min subway ride from the studio where I work, and nearly all the shopping I need is within walking distance of where I live. I couldn't live this life anyplace else in America.
>>
You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Like really, who gives a shit if the buildings are old? It's part of its character is opposed to a boring sprawl city.

And NYC certainly blows Boston out of the water.
>>
>>1258703
>You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Like really, who gives a shit if the buildings are old? It's part of its character is opposed to a boring sprawl city.

You are the worst type of scum. A dilapidated building does not have "character". It's a piece of shit that should have been bulldozed decades ago. The walls are thin, the insulation is crap, and the whole thing exists solely because property managers would rather run it into the ground than have it properly rebuilt or renovated.

Like what the fuck even is this? It baffles me that people have managed to delude themselves into thinking that this standard of living is acceptable in today's day and age.
>>
>>1258708
I live in a prewar building. It's much more solidly built than most new construction. Also the l;ayout is a lot more sensible than modern apartments. Plus I have a fucking beautiful courtyard. They don't even make courtyard buildings anymore. Most of the buildings that are eyesores in this town are of 50's - 70's vintage. Most of the prewar stuff is holding up fine.
>>
>>1258667
>person dislikes region they grew up in
yawn
>>
>>1258764
Sorry sweetie, I grew up in California and loved it there. I've just been forced to live in this shithole called Massachusetts for the last decade
>>
>>1258667
Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is Hating New York Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Stay Home Like Nigga Go To LA Haha
>>
>>1258667
While NYC is far from my favourite city, it's pretty nice and definitely worth a visit for a few days. Check out different parts of the city, eat lots of different and great food and enjoy the general vibe and energy of the city, which is unlike any other place I've been.
>>
>>1258684
>You can only have an active social life if you live in NYC

Best kek of the day
>>
File: 1496518545107.jpg (23KB, 240x251px) Image search: [Google]
1496518545107.jpg
23KB, 240x251px
>>1258790

>''''''general vibe and energy'''''

>crowded, trash filled streets with potholes and taxis
>shit skins everywhere
>>
I'd say if you you're in reasonable driving distance, it's worth at least VISITING to see if you like it. I live about two hours away, so it isn't a big deal for me personally.
>>
>>1258667
I went there for my vidya travel tour, Liberty City, San Fierro, Los Santos OP.

I won't visit Boston until I do real life Fallout traveling.
>>
>>1258667
To each their own I guess but to a lot of people the tacky, soulless developments in the western states are totally unappealing. Nothing but cheaply made prefab McMansions whose value plummets in a market correction.
>>
>>1258667
>"Reno is more interesting than New York"

Sigh...
>>
>>1258770
Stop calling people sweetie, it sounds gay, and not even in a way homosexuals would consider tolerable.
>>
you autists really don't belong in this board
>>
>>1258848
"interesting" is an entirely subjective term. If OP finds the northeast uninteresting, that's up to him. If OP can't imagine how travelers would find the northeast interesting, I will deride his lack of imagination.
>>
>>1258799
>NYC is bad because I'm scared of brown people
>>
>>1258930
Plenty of folks believe this.
>>
>>1258930
Ironically the L train is whiter than most media youll see today. I like riding the A/C better cause of all the chocolate eye candy and the J is a bit of everything but alot of families it seems
>>
>>1258770
While I'm jealous of the weather, I wouldn't be caught dead outside a dense city with good public transit like Boston or NYC. Previously I've lived in Singapore and if it wasn't for the fact that they're basically fascists with unintelligible accents I'd still be living there.

The traffic in places like LA, San Diego, and SF is what would really drive me insane. At least over here I'll never need to spend more than 25 minutes in transit 90% of the time. Since I usually work from 10 AM - 8 PM, I basically skip out on the rush hour subway.

If you really don't like living up here OP, make an effort to find work elsewhere.
>>
>>1258667
It's one of the only "real" cities in in this country. Most other places are just sprawl and strip malls.
>>
>>1258943
Other real cities include: Seattle, Boston, Miami, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and DC.
>>
>>1258942
San fransisco is very dense and walkable and san diego is expanding its tram system rapidly
>>
>>1258938
Plenty of folks are retarded.
>>
>>1258667
I agree its total shit. Boston isn't much better. Fucking Logan is the worst airport I've ever been to.
>>
>>1258900
this.

>>1258799

You're just inventing reasons to not like it. I doubt you've ever been here.
>>
>>1258944
this

except LA is a sprawl city too
>>
>>1258970
Why though?
>>
>>1259003
NY is one large floating pile of garbage imo.
>>
>>1258708
the old buildings in New York have a lot of character, I like them a lot more than a fugly 10 year old apartment building you'd find in a boring flyover sprawl city
>>
full of diversity with every ethnicity gravitating towards their worst stereotypes
>>
>>1258792
U like iNdustrial music?
>>
>>1260547
Not true
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.