[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Philippines not so popular?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 257
Thread images: 48

File: DOH.png (547KB, 976x294px) Image search: [Google]
DOH.png
547KB, 976x294px
I wanna know why I barely see travel brochures featuring the Philippines, and why Philippines have one of the lowest foreign tourist incidences in the region

Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, even Myanmar seem to be commonly advertised and seen as popular destinations in South East Asia, but for the Philippines? Not so much.

There are very few flight-hotel packages of the Philippines available in my country contrary to its neighbors.

What's the reason? It's probably among the most beautiful and friendliest places in the world. Is it because of the Jihadist problem in the South(that shouldn't affect anyone North)?
>>
>>1257774
lack of infrastructure. It has only been pushing it's tourism the last few years. Prior to that tourism mainly consisted of military vets (know the place through the service), people with Filipina wives, and sex tourists, and often you can wrap all 3 of those up in one person. People started to take more interest when Thailand ess couping again in 2014, but Thailand seems to be on the rebound, and interest waining in the Phillipines again
>>
>>1257777
it used to be the most popular tourist destination in the area until 40-30 years ago though
>>
>>1257778
Even more recent than that. But it lost a lot of economy, and popular mindshare, when US Naval Base Subic Bay, and Clark USAF Base, closed down in 1992. The US's largest overseas bases. Hence the military dudes with Filipina wives being the only ones who remembered the place, outside of the sex tourists
>>
>>1257774
Because regardless of what kind of tourist you are (sex, scuba, hostel, foodie, w/e) thailand is objectively better
>>
>>1257774
Lack of infrastructure, few to no cultural blockbusters in the temple/palace/historical site family, the worst cities in the region, and the worst food in the region. Some great beaches but almost nothing else that brings people to Southeast Asia.
>>
>>1257867
>no cultural blockbusters in the temple/palace/historical site family
Dude they have shitton of old unique churches that are older than some temples in other countries

>and the worst food in the region

stfu, alot of its cuisine is not that different from the other countries, as they all have a large Chinese influence in general. Poorly cooked adobo is not the only thing you can eat there, you know
>>
>>1257855
This.
I don't understand why anyone would go to the Phillipines, Thailand has all the same stuff, but better.

Thailand is the land of smiles =)
Phillipines is the land of getting shot in the back for buying basil you thought was weed.
>>
>>1257939
He is probably talking about the dead full bodied chickens and half incubated eggs. A lot of Filipino food is visually repulsive to westerners. Even moreso than Thai bugs.
>>
>>1257956

I think alot of the bad rep of Filipino food is also connected to food from Manila.
Kapampangan, Bicolano, Ilongo, and Moro cuisines are very good, with lot's of variations and different flavors. One thing they need to work on is food presentation. That's probably where Thai food has succeeded and Filipino not yet

Bicolano food is surprisingly similar to Thai in terms of how much they use lemongrass, chili, coconut milk and ginger
>>
File: 1496580577867.jpg (64KB, 640x473px) Image search: [Google]
1496580577867.jpg
64KB, 640x473px
>>1257942
>implying there's anything wrong with shooting druggies
>>
>>1257998
Yeah presentation is part of Thai culinary culture (Thai culture in general, if you want to get that deep), so the food always looks pretty.
>>
>>1257774
Having been to the Philippines as well as some other SEA destinations, it's my opinion that the Philippines is just not quite the same level of vibrant or culturally interesting than some of its neighbors, its food is not as good, and its just very very poor and does not have good infrastructure.

>>1257939
>Dude they have shitton of old unique churches that are older than some temples in other countries

And yet it's still no Ayutthaya, etc.

I do think the Philippines is somewhat of a hidden gem to those willing to explore all of it (San Augustin, Miagao, the rice terraces).it's just not quite on the same level in terms of attraction and food. I think the Philippines' lack of a firm and visible traditional/native culture beyond Catholicism and colonialism makes it a bit more bland than other areas in the region.
>>
>>1257774
Too much bullshit to deal with, especially to first time tourists.

Also, filipino tourism strategy revolves mainly around;
>nightclubs
>shopping malls
>beaches

Which is nothing to shout/brag about. Thailand has better nightlife scenes, Singapore offers better selection for high-end shopping and Malaysia has that all-around package and they positioned themselves as family-oriented tourism hub
>>
File: folk-dance1.jpg (48KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
folk-dance1.jpg
48KB, 640x430px
>>1258017
Have you just been to Luzon?
I know it might sound crazy but Mindanao has plenty of preserved pre-hispanic culture that is comparable to mainland south east Asia. They might not be Hindu/Buddhist but they do indeed have alot of influence from that
Also the food is much better there too.
And this leads me to think that alot of it is rooted to the conflicts in Mindanao. Once peace is attained, infrastructure is built and the tourist industry there is developed, I do think it will be a huge boost to tourism.

I don't think Philippines will ever overtake Thailand in terms of foreign tourist arrivals. But neither do I want that, because Thailand is packed with too many tourists

What I'd like to see is that it gets around the same level as Vietnam and Indonesia and is also advertised in the West.
>>
>>1258039
>Also, filipino tourism strategy revolves mainly around;
>nightclubs
>shopping malls
>beaches

>implying this is not the strategy for all SEAsian countries with exception of 'muh temples'
>>
>>1258017
You know that culture is more than just wearing different clothes during theatrical plays and songs?

It's also the general behavior of the locals, and in my opinion, the Philippines wins in this regard in entire South East Asia. Never have I felt so welcomed. They are all very hospitable and friendly, and would even offer you food for free despite not even running a restaurant.

I remember walking to some place called Nacpan beach, and while passing a house, this middle aged lady asked if I wanted to try a mango from their mango tree. All of a sudden

The best advantage they have is the English proficiency, meaning most of the time, you can talk to far more people than in the other countries in the region

There are some bad sides of their culture, like blasting karaoke past bed time, something I find comfy at times.
But that's all a matter of discipline. If I'm not mistaken, their current president is some sort of Lee Kuan Yew figure type which will fix most of the undisciplinary parts of their culture
>>
>>1257774

I don't wanna get beheaded by ISIS.
>>
>>1258208
Duterte is a massive karaoke fan. You won't have to worry about drug dealers, but that music blasting at night isn't going to change.
>>
>>1258204
Yeah, I always thought all of the luxury movie theaters and huge malls in SEA were weird considering how poor everything is
>>
>>1258203
>I don't think Philippines will ever overtake Thailand in terms of foreign tourist arrivals. But neither do I want that, because Thailand is packed with too many tourists

Thailand is 2nd only to China in Asia, and I think around 25th in the world rankings
>>
>>1258208
>You know that culture is more than just wearing different clothes during theatrical plays and songs?

Where did I say that's all culture is?
>>
>>1258204
Exactly my point. They're competing in an increasingly saturated market with nothing much to offer.
>>
it's the same reason why people don't go to South Korea. It's not necessarily a bad place, but countries around it offer better versions of pretty much the exact same things and are straight up more interesting, culturally.
>>
>>1258213
Arent he proposing a karaoke ban after 10pm or 12am?
>>
>>1258235
Their beaches and lagoons are much more stunning, they have plenty of nice volcanos not found on the mainland, the food from Panay, Bicol, Pampanga and Mindanao as a whole is great, they have far more islands worth visiting, their mountains are as interesting as Sapa, maybe even more so

Have you ever visited Singapore malls and seen their beyond retard prices? The malls of Philippines are starting to catch up with the rest. No wonder Mall of Asia is going to be the largest mall in the world once expansion finishes in 2018

As for night life, most people compare Cebu and Angeles with Pattaya
>>
>>1258210
Don't worry
Seeing how many of these mushits get killed or surrender I'd say they will get eradicated in a year
>>
>>1258241
What? I could get an IWC or Breitling for roughly 20 percent cheaper in Singapore than in Malaysia, and you're saying philippines could top that price? Don't make me laugh.

Also those "exotic food and beaches" wouldn't amount for shit if people gets kidnapped by the NPA and get their kidney stolen
>>
File: 5Kg7Y04.jpg (65KB, 431x450px) Image search: [Google]
5Kg7Y04.jpg
65KB, 431x450px
>>1258248
>I could get an IWC or Breitling for roughly 20 percent cheaper in Singapore than in Malaysia, and you're saying philippines could top that price?

I bought a bunch of Sperry shoes for 60% of the original price that is sold here in my own country in Philippines

>Also those "exotic food and beaches" wouldn't amount for shit if people gets kidnapped by the NPA and get their kidney stolen
>NPA

Yup, I suggest you to not go to Philippines or South East Asia as a whole because you are too fucking retarded to travel
>>
>>1258241
Far less tourist infrastructure to see those things, though. I do think the diving is better in the Phillipines, though
>>
>>1258241
>As for night life, most people compare Cebu and Angeles with Pattaya

Not favorably, though. Eco tourism aside, most stuff can be had easier and better outside ofthe Phillipines. Though the Phillipines is cheaper.
>>
File: hundred islands.jpg (89KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
hundred islands.jpg
89KB, 960x540px
I also wonder that, as I tripped through Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia and Philippines, and my favorite was Philippines by far

It had the best beaches, best people, just as rich on culture, beautiful old churches, amazing volcanoes and the food was very good too around the tourist resorts

Though I am more of a backpacker than a person out for night life, so I don't know

The places I visited was Cebu City, Mactan island, Zamboanga City and Sta. Cruz island(best food), Davao City, Baguio and Banaue, El Nido, Coron(hands down the most beautiful place I've visited), Hundred Islands, Vigan, Puerto Princessa, Siquijor, Iloilo, and Tagaytay(bulalo is actually very good)

I also visited Intramuros, Mall of Asia, Bonifacio City and Makati while I was in Manila for 2 days.

I am planning to go there in a month again on a 3 month visit.

Definitely one of the most underrated places out there

Such a shame I could afford all this but not a decent camera, and took no pictures while in Palawan
>>
>>1258254
There are WWII Japanese destroyers right outside Coron that you can scuba dive to.
>>
Most travel vloggers say that Philippines is one of the most amazing tourist destinations, so yes, it's indeed strange it is not more popular
>>
I'd say it's the poor infrastructure, the bad reputation it has gotten over kidnappings. Foreigners don't know where Sulu is. If they hear about a kidnapping, they take it as being a threat all over the country no matter how big it is. Not just in the south

Another problem is probably the state of NAIA. Have you ever taken the time to just think over how shit it really is? Overcongested, lots of delays. It has reached beyond its capacity. And it's so poorly designed too, having all the terminals separated and the only way to get there is by road transport, something that causes alot of tourists to be scammed by overpriced illegal airport cabs. Not a good first time experience

And this in turn causes there to be almost no low-price direct flights to Manila from Europe, unlike Thailand and Vietnam. Those 2 other countries got modern airports that have enough capacity and upgrade potential to offer proper enough flights going to their countries.

To get more tourists, simply get a brand new airport, develop the infrastructure to allow the tourist industry to flourish, and destroy those muzzie bandits. Then you can see Philippines advertised in your travel brochures.
>>
when people think of traveling to asia, philippines doesn't cross their mind because they don't exactly get the 'asian' experience. the country gets a bad rep with all the shit that's going on in the southern island too, they just lump it all to the whole country.

i was just in the philippines visiting family & i went to hit up el nido, palawan & manila solo. everyone is so damn friendly regardless if you're a local, look like a local (me), or a foreigner.

philippines is underrated for sure, especially when you factor in the fact that everyone speaks english ā€” i spent my last week traveling in japan & had the most difficult time; hell, they thought i was a local and spoke to me in fucking japanese!
>>
File: survivor-tribal-council.jpg (128KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
survivor-tribal-council.jpg
128KB, 960x640px
>>1258835
You actually get more of the Asian vibe in the south, at least comparable to Malaysia and Indonesia
That's where you see buildings like pic related
>>
>>1257998
I'm from bicol the only spicy food here is laing and bicol express which the spicyness originated from Manila.

Manila actually has more options in terms of food since they have to compete with international ones.

Our food is no where near thai
>>
>>1258203
The ones in Mindanao are Muslims tho and Tribal

Indonesia and Malaysia can offer of better if you are into Muslim culture
>>
>>1258241
Pampanga food are often called dog food looking by forigners
>>
>>1257774
Pretty much everthing is already said here.
Even if we have great infrastructure, we don't offer an "exotic Asian" experience
For tourist to have something to hold on too
Unless you want a Muslim and Deep tribal mountain stuff

Our try hard Hispanic identity is backfiring its a hard sell and no one thinks its authentic and worth a trip for
>>
>>1257774
How about:
>The ISIS insurgency
>Government death squads killing without legal process
>Significantly higher violent crime rate than surrounding countries
>Ocean seperates them from other SEA countries, making travel harder
>No Buddhist/Hindu temples, but churches you can find at home
>Shithole cities
>Same nature as the rest of SEA

At least thats why I visited Indonesia instead of the Philippines.
>>
>>1258968
>'muh azn culture'
If that was the case, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore would be the least visited countries there you fucking retard

>>1258995
>Government death squads killing without legal process
Hello Rebbit! Upboated post on you falling for total legit MSM narrative! XD

>No Buddhist/Hindu temples, but churches you can find at home
Yah, that's why you never visit Latin American countries or Mediterranean countries holy shit kill you're selve

>Shithole cities
From my experience, no different from Thailand other than less whores and more shanties in contained aread
>>
>>1259010
This is how people view it, though. Or what are your reasons it's not more popular? Since you are dismissive of the ones other people, including locals, give
>>
>>1259010
Indonesia has Balinese and Malaysia has Chinese culture.

and yes the Muslim is considered extotic Asian culture

Singapore is basically hongkong2
>>
>>1258995
I can tell the churches you can find in your home even at mediocre at best will be so much better that what you will find in this country
>>
>>1258306
Maybe they were paid
>>
>>1257855
>scuba
scuba is objectively better in teh philippines
>>
>>1257774
Looking at your picture if that's the beat they offer then its not worth the trip
>>
>>1259018
Maybe the disinfo of the drug war is keeping people away, but all other things are completely irrelevant
>>1259029
>Indonesia has Balinese
Most people also head for Lombok, Java, Borneo and Sumatra.
>Malaysia has Chinese culture.
So does Philippines. They also got some shophouses, some Taoist temples and is one of the South East Asian countires with the largest Chinese genetical and cultural influence
>>
>>1259031
>I can tell the churches you can find in your home even at mediocre at best will be so much better that what you will find in this country
well meme'd my friend
>>1259032
looking at the Tourism budget of Philippines compared to other Asian countries, you are most likely completely full of shit
>>
>>1259097
People were staying away waaaay before that. So that is not a reason it isn't more popular. It doesn't matter if you think it is better. Obviously the OP thinks it's a swell place. But why isn't it more popular is the question
>>
>>1259089
Maybe you just have shit taste and only care about fucking $3 thaiwhores
>>
>>1259100
It was the top destination in entire Asia before the People's Power revolution.
It declined together with its economy after that. It has recovered in 2010, and it probably going to reach the 10 million mark in a few years
>>
>>1257867
Fun fact: the vast majority of the temples around in Thailand that are tourist worthy destinations(like that massive over-the-top temple of Pattaya) are actually no older than 20-40 years
>>
>>1259106
So Thailand was smarter in attracting tourists? Number 2 tourist destination in Asia (3 if you separate Hong Kong and China). And like 14 in the world.
>>
>>1259101
You can easily go to Indonesia , Vietnam and see those tbf
>>1259103
We were broke before the people power revolution
70's and 80's were our decline
>>
>>1259099
I've been there its overrated and the inside is just mediocre
No one really wants to see a church
>>
>>1259097
Well the war in Mindanao is keeping people away even before that bullshit drugwar

I'd say Malaysia has a more authentic Chinese actual culture than our china towns
>>
>>1259106
Good for them
They invested in their culture

Obviously tourist responds to it better than our tyrhard Hispanic churches and fiestas
>>
File: 6435333.png (1MB, 1972x892px) Image search: [Google]
6435333.png
1MB, 1972x892px
>>1259127
>>1259124
>>1259123
>>1259120
>>1259114
>excessive amounts of self-hate
>"bullshit drugwar"
>"muh pre 1983 Marcos years were a recession! :("
>rebbit-tier one post per reply

>t. I voted for Mar and Leni
You are not making it any more obvious. Everybody, filter out this faggot's posts
>>
File: Shrine_of_Saint_Andrew_Kim_2016.jpg (255KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Shrine_of_Saint_Andrew_Kim_2016.jpg
255KB, 1280x853px
>>1259018
Because people do come even if the culture isn't exactly "asian" as some people have pointed out. People still find mosques and exotic churches almost just as interesting as these Buddhist temples, but again, people don't come to worship a fat Indian in some other country. If the thing looks neat, it's an attraction. There's plenty of neat churches in the Philippines

Only valid reasons I see is the poor state of the of infrastructure, the mainstream media shilling against the drug war and the kidnapping incidents
>>
>>1259178
Well, of all your quoted posts only this one >>1259114 was me. But instead of attacking the poster, or extolling how great the Philippines is, how about you tell us why it is not a more popular tourist destination. Not why it should be one.
>>1259187
>Because people do come even if the culture isn't exactly "asian" as some people have pointed out
Have you seen the Philippines tourism? It's not even top 10 in Asia. So why is Philippines less popular than:
China, Thailand, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Japan, Macau, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Indonesia, India, and Vietnam?
>>
The tourism industry first flourished during the late 19th to early 20th century due to the influx of immigrants from Europe and the United States. It was listed as one of the best country to visit in Asia aside from Hong Kong and Japan, earning the nickname "Pearl of the Orient Seas". The tourism declined during and after the World War II, leaving the country with a completely devastated capital. Most immigrants from Europe and US, and some other Filipinos were offered to emigrate to the US. The second wave of tourist influx flourished in the 1970s and early 1980s but declined in the mid 1980s due to the EDSA Revolution, with the average length of tourist stay falling from 12.6 days in earlier years to 8.9 days in 1988.[citation needed] In 1987, tourism growth was slower in the Philippines than in other Southeast Asian countries. About 1.2 million tourists visited the Philippines in 1992, which was a record high in the number of tourist visits since 1989.[citation needed]

Today, the tourism industry boomed again at the early part of the 2010s after the decline in the previous decade. The country saw an influx of tourists from all over the world, with the help of social media and the creative tagline, the tourism went at its peak and became one of the countries people wanted to visit in Southeast Asia with having 3,590,038 million tourists recorded from January to August 2015.[8]
>>
File: singkil.jpg (95KB, 494x226px) Image search: [Google]
singkil.jpg
95KB, 494x226px
>>1259217
>Well, of all your quoted posts only this one
Ah shit sorry, I noticed now, I misreplied to you

>Have you seen the Philippines tourism? It's not even top 10 in Asia. So why is Philippines less popular than:
China, Thailand, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Japan, Macau, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Indonesia, India, and Vietnam?
See the rest of the comment. Almost nobody comes to asia to expect "asian" culture. They come to expect something exotic. Even with the Hispanic influence, Philippines is still very exotic in terms of architecture, culture and scenery
>>
>>1259222
You still aren't answering the question. The question is why aren't MORE people coming to the Philippines. Why are those stated countries MORE popular. You are saying people come to Asia for exoticness, and the Philippines is very exotic. Okay, that's why the people that go there go. That's why more people should go. But the question is "Why is the Phillipines not so popular " <<<<straight from the thread title
>>
>>1259230
I did, if you really take the time to bother reading

Thailand has not had any serious muslim insurgencies over the past decades, and is considered relatively safe compared to the other countries

Vietnam has low homicide rate and is considered very safe in general

Indonesia and Malaysia are also very tourist friendly and safe, the latter being the second most developed country in South East Asia meaning it cathers to alot of tourists simply because of its economic situation(no poverty and misery) while at the same time keeping the prices low.

Another thing is that none of these countries suffered a huge blow to their tourism sector like Philippines did decades ago, in addition to a skyrocketing of poverty and crime
see >>1259218

In turn, the tourism sector is not as developed as its neighbors either due to lagging behind others in terms of tourism. Now, another things as I said is the infrastructure. Not just the lack of decent roads connecting the tourist resorts, the traffic congestion and such, but also the main international airport itself. It's operating beyond its capacity, its design is fucking shit and poorly planned, and it faces delays upon delays. But most importantly is that it lacks enough low-cost direct flights from Europe and US.

Also take into account the Chinese tourist factor. Unlike its neigbhors, they have enjoyed a fairly stable growth of Chinese tourists, especially Vietnam who had a growth of over 1 million between 2015 and 2016. Whereas Philippines has had a lackluster growth of Chinese tourists because their former President was a fucking retard and acted very aggressive towards China with the South China Sea island dispute, only to lose a shoal instead of proceeding with the status quo from the previous admin
This caused China to boycott Philippines, and years of potential investments and tourist arrivals went to waste
>>
>>1259237
oh shid I didn't see my rebbit spacing :DDD
>>
>>1259237
Also: lack of promotion
Vietnam and Indonesia has worked overtime to promote their countries. Malaysia and Thailand doesn't really need as they are already popular enough and travel agencies is doing it for free
>>
>>1259239
>>1259237
Fuck, I forget so much

The last thing is probably, as I said, the concern for safety. Treasonous Filipino and international media has promoted the country as being some violent unsafe shithole full of mudslime kidnappings that nobody should bother walking into.
Although its murder rate is sadly high(luckily on the decline now thanks to Based Duterte), it's mostly contained in the bigger cities and not at the tourist resorts
As for kidnappings, it's an oversensationalized topic, as not only is it limited to the South around Sulu and non-city Zamboanga. The group responsible for it, Abus Sayyaf Group, is getting BTFO on their islands and will soon cease to exist for once.

I think the tourism sector will boom after all the muzzieshits are dead, as the other factors are already in the works of being fixed
>>
>>1259237
I did bother reading and the previous answer >>1259222 , >>1259187
was nowhere near what you just put. Though you did mention tourist infrastructure, which is the main reason I would give, as well.

That said>>1259237
>I did, if you really take the time to bother reading
>Thailand has not had any serious muslim insurgencies over the past decades, and is considered relatively safe compared to the other countries
>Vietnam has low homicide rate and is considered very safe in general
>Indonesia and Malaysia are also very tourist friendly and safe, the latter being the second most developed country in South East Asia meaning it cathers to alot of tourists simply because of its economic situation(no poverty and misery) while at the same time keeping the prices low.

^^^I could of did without, as it speaks to why those countries are popular, which wasn't the question. Funny you quoted this >>1259218
because that's was me. I know there are legit reasons Philippines aren't popular, I just was steerring the convo to what the OP asked for.
>>
>>1259246
you should also check out these
>>1259239
>>1259242
I want to emphasize on promotion and low cost flights too

Due to the lack of promotion, people don't really know what it has to offer compared to other countries. So in the end they probably thing "why would I go there if I can go to Thailand or Vietnam even cheaper while I also know what they have to offer"
>>
>>1258995
>>1258968
>>1257867
I can confirm that it having churches instead of temples is not the case at all on why it's not popular. Neither is the lack of "asianess"

I have been to the Philippines with other people twice, one batch being me and my family some years ago, while the other batch was with my friends, 4 girls and 3 guys,just a year ago.

We had been to Thailand and Indonesia prior to this in Bali, Bangkok, Lombok and Phuket, and once we entered the Philippines, our fascination for their old churches were not much different than from the temples of Thailand and Bali.
The girls took lot's of pictures from outside and insid
The culture itself is also quite interesting, at least from my experience in Cebu and Palawan. Although the food might not be the best out there, we certainly enjoyed it and found it tasty. Those lower-budget restaurants should probably work on their presentation though.
>>
>>1259247
>Due to the lack of promotion
I agree. I basically said as much here: >>1257777
In the very first response. I am the same anon you replied to and have been going back and forth with in the last few posts
>>
>>1259256
I am not that guy
>>
>>1259222
That is Muslim culture

It does have a tribal culture but its not as compelling and developed as its neighbors do

Yeah we do want to see Asian culture on Asian countries other than a bad carbon copy of a western one
>>
>>1259237
>Also take into account the Chinese tourist factor. Unlike its neigbhors, they have enjoyed a fairly stable growth of Chinese tourists, especially Vietnam who had a growth of over 1 million between 2015 and 2016. Whereas Philippines has had a lackluster growth of Chinese tourists because their former President was a fucking retard and acted very aggressive towards China with the South China Sea island dispute, only to lose a shoal instead of proceeding with the status quo from the previous admin
This caused China to boycott Philippines, and years of potential investments and tourist arrivals went to waste

He had the balls to stand up to them

Chinese people are very cultural appreciative
They laugh at our Hispanic one
>>
>>1259237
>status quo from the previous admin

We lost our EZZ and spraltys in glorias admin
>>
>>1259218
I like the [citation needed part] on the bullshit statements

And forgetting to factor in martial lae
>>
>>1259187
We are already not a popular destination before this brand of drug war happened
>>
>>1259242
>Filipino and international media has promoted the country as being some violent unsafe shithole full of mudslime kidnappings that nobody should bother walking into.

travelers deserve to know the truth
and be caution

kidnapping tourist is how the rebels profit
>>
There's that bullet scam going on in airports. While I did hear that they're cracking down on them, it still leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth.

Being lied to by scammers is one thing, but for them to accuse you of terrorism is just downright fucking offensive.
>>
>>1259237
>Philippines has had a lackluster growth of Chinese tourists
Good.

I'm tired of seeing fucking chinks ruining everything in their path.
>>
>>1259217
>how about you tell us why it is not a more popular tourist destination. Not why it should be one.
Everything given here is valid >>1257867
we our repeating ourselves

>>1259299
Indonesia and other Sea countries also has human rights violations
yet tourist still go there and go back there
its a matter of substance, they have a non European Carbon copy culture that tourists love and immersed into

the Philippines is not immersed in this kind of culture >>1259222 it limited only to muslims and highschool cultural program
>>
>>1259297
>>1259237
The status co back then is basically validating the 9-dash line
>>
>>1259305
Strange enough it only happened during the election season

and was used as populist bait
>>
>>1259311
>Everything given here is valid >>1257867
>we our repeating ourselves

I agree those responses were valid, my >>1259217
>how about you tell us why it is not a more popular tourist destination. Not why it should be one.
Was referencing these responses:>>1257939
>>1259106
>>1259254

All of which were negative responses to >>1257867

My post >>1259217
was to say "since you are shitting on everyone else's response and talking about how great it is, then why isn't more popular, then"
>>
>>1259295
>They laugh at our Hispanic one

Every time I hear Filipinos talk of their Hispanic heritage I am reminded of this city data thread, that was filled with Filipinos saying "of course we're Hispanic" and everyone else saying "lolwat?!? No you're not" and Filipinos getting butthurt

http://www.city-data.com/forum/asia/788373-do-you-consider-philippine-people-hispanic.html
>>
>>1259356
it reallt is that simple >>1257867

if we have substance people here wouldn't even question why we are not popular
>>
>>1259357
I read somewhere that around less than 3% of the Filipino population actually has Spanish blood.

When I talk about this with actual Filipinos, the numbers they give me are wildly different. One guy told me over 50% of Filipinos are of Spanish descent.
>>
>>1259295
>>1259297
>>1259298
>>1259299
>>1259304
>'everything is Gloria's fault :('
>'PeeNoy was brave in standing against the evil Chinese, even if it caused us to lag behind our neighbors in many different things
>confusing EEZ(kek even spelt it wrong) with territory
Didn't I tell you you to fuck off you fucking self hating yellowcunt?

Hide this guy's posts
>>
>>1259305
It's not happening anymore
>>
File: average german poster.jpg (74KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
average german poster.jpg
74KB, 720x960px
>>1259314
losing Scarborough shoal over being an arrogant dick without the power to defend yourself is validating the 9 dash line
>muh EEZ=territory
>>
File: 1496531446190.jpg (11KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1496531446190.jpg
11KB, 480x270px
>>1259294
>>1259311

Singkil is a type of dance of hindu origin done by an ethnicity that has mostly converted to islam

>It does have a tribal culture but its not as compelling and developed as its neighbors do
dude wtf that's the entire point of a tribal culture. An old culture that has remained the way it is for centuries.
And no it's not less compelling

>Yeah we do want to see Asian culture on Asian countries other than a bad carbon copy of a western one
Oh, allright you are just a self hating pignoise, hope you get fucking raped by the drug addicts you sympathize with if they are still out there :^)
Now I see why you don't have tourists. Because pathetic cucks like you would make anyone avoid the country out of pure cringe
>>
>>1259468
>Because pathetic cucks like you would make anyone avoid the country out of pure cringe

Did you read the city data post here? >>1259357

Most Filipinos are pure cringe. And their Hispanic thing is a good example of the cringe. They are also simultaneously very proud, but very self loathing. The women and men seem to hate each other, too. Men seem to particularly dislike ethnic looking Filipino women.
>>
>>1259473
I actually meant specifically those self hating faggots like that cunt, but indeed there's alot of Filipinos who go "WE HUZ SPANISH BLOOD" just to seem superior.
>>
>>1258962
That's strange, last time I was there, I ate dishes filled with chili that was cooked in coconut milk, lemongrass and ginger with some annatto powder giving it a reddish color and they used stingray as the meat

I found it peculiarly similar to Thai curry food when I was in Bangkok
>>
>>1258964
I doubt you are a foreigner
>>
>>1259691
Never seen it and Im form bicol
People here hates spicy food
They only like sour
>>
>>1259468
>Singkil is a type of dance of hindu origin done by an ethnicity that has mostly converted to islam

In the end still is Muslim culture now
We have tinikling.

If you start comparing to Indonesian or Taiwan our native tribes are lackluster.

>oh, allright you are just a self hating pignoise, hope you get fucking raped by the drug addicts you sympathize with if they are still out there :^)
Now I see why you don't have tourists. Because pathetic cucks like you would make anyone avoid the country out of pure cringe

This is beside the point
>>
>>1259727
>People here hates spicy food

I don't know where in Bicol you live then as almost all of the dishes I've eaten has more or less chili in them
>>
>>1259464
China was the one being an arrogant dick
Dont make excuse for them

The 9dash line is the status co you want to happen whether you like it or not
>>
>>1259461
If china really wants to help us then they. Should have ever taken our territory and EEZ
Or made ZTE corrupt deals
>>
>>1259729
Bicol express or laing maybe
We have a non spicy version of those aswell
No one even grows chillis here
>>
>>1259729
Putting 2 fruit of uncut chili on top of a dish doesn't equal thaifood

It doesn't even make it spicy
They don't even have the proper knowledge of making them into a paste
>>
>>1259461
Not everything but on that particular china thing it gives back to her
Even erap is involved
>>
>>1259732>>1259733

I really don't think you are from the Bicol province then, or maybe your town was not really traditional
I have seen how they make red curry chicken in Thailand, and the way they cooked some dish with stingray in coconut milk, lemon grass and ginger, along with chili was very similar. There were some other things added that I can't remember as this was years ago
>>
>>1259737
Im form albay and legaspi
no one even uses annatto powder here lols
or sting ray I have never eaten one
trust me the more rural and underdevelop part of this province don't even have tomatoes

what you have eaten are the ones that are not traditional
pic related is how we typically cook ""chili cuisines" we just put 2 or 3 chilies on top of them
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 259x194px
>>1259739
pic*
>>
I think the Philippines lack a family friendly reputation even Thailand with all it's whoring has Phuket with it's beach resorts with kids clubs and stuff. Off the top of my head I can't think of an equivalent that has easy and cheap international air access. Palawan requires domestic transfers which are a pain with kids and Cebu is pricier to get to. In Australia Bali reins supreme for cheap holidays since it's cheaper to fly there from the west coast than it is to fly to another Aussie city and Malaysia and Thai airlines have cheaper flights to beach destinations than Cebu pacific have.
>>
File: IMG_2403.jpg (801KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2403.jpg
801KB, 2048x1536px
Ok Ok.
Wow so many replies and so many very very wrong.
Why is the Philippines not so popular?
Having been there 20 times in 4 years I know why.
First stop making assumptions not all men are sex tourists. It's like saying all female backpackers are disease filled tuna stink parasites.
Sure there are some but not in the majority.
I go for scuba. The Philippines is most excellent for scuba. Best for wreck dives.
But the problem with the place is themselves. Not only is the infrastructure terrible but the way they operate it is diabolical.
Example. Go to Bohol Fly to Cebu from Manila airport is a mess changing terminal can take hours if you are white you are charged at least double for everything.
Get to Cebu again hours to get to ferry terminal.
Ferry terminal cant buy ticket have to walk to office a kilometer away.
Big line. One person selling tickets very slowly while 5 others sit behind on their phones doing fb.
Get ticket. Go to terminal. Have to buy another 2 tickets for eco tax and something else. Sorry cant buy both in one place have to line up twice to buy each one. Get scanned through security like an airport. Get to Bohol finally. Pay more eco tax. Well only if you are white lol. Attacked by vendors again only if you are white.
Find hotel. Pay double or triple what someone who looks filipino would pay. Get filipino friend to book room.
Watch as the manager goes apeshit crazy when they see me team up with filipino friend to go to room.
Yelling screaming throwing things cause have white face must pay triple price.
Enjoy diving in Bohol.
Now see that is normal but most tourists don't like the filipino stupidity way of doing things.
Hotels are way more expensive and far lower quality than Thailand.
Food is degenerate swill not fit for human consumption.
Lying thieving scamming are a normal way of life for them. They do it to each other all the time.
But over time you learn to anticipate the crap and cut it off before you get attacked
>>
File: CvNYLeTUsAASf5y.jpg (137KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
CvNYLeTUsAASf5y.jpg
137KB, 680x680px
Appearantly Filipinos can't take criticisms and use it to better themselves.

Instead they will just blame political parties that has nothing to do with what culture that they can offer.
Every South East Asian country has a wack political atmosphere
Yet tourist goes to their country no matter what.

and even though we are telling them the shit they are offering is not worth a trip they will still shove it down and if you disagree with it you are part of that certain political party

Its so pathetic
>>
File: 1440612987639.jpg (32KB, 259x240px) Image search: [Google]
1440612987639.jpg
32KB, 259x240px
>>1259728
>In the end still is Muslim culture now
this doesn't even matter you fucking retard. China got a shitton of Buddhist and Chinese folk religion traditions, yet most of the country is irreligious. Does that mean anything to you, or are you one of those UP communists who view the entire country through a filter which only displays shit?

>If you start comparing to Indonesian or Taiwan our native tribes are lackluster.
yah cuz you are blind as fuck, and are a fucking self hating cuck that you even admit here
>This is beside the point

>>1259730
>China was the one being an arrogant dick
>Dont make excuse for them

hurr durr you are so fucking retarded, your IQ is probably below 80. No wonder you suck PeeNoy's dick. All this shit didn't start coming down until you scrapped the joint sea exploration and acted very aggressive towards China. The status quo at least had you keep all your islands and did not affect your EEZ(which you can't even spell right and thinks equal territory lmao) in any unauthorized way.
You can't deny any of this without looking like an unintelligent monkey that you probably are because 6 years of a smearing campaing of Arroyo has destroyed alot of black matter in your brain

I feel like there's only one single yellowcuck on all these boards who makes himself appear as if it were multiple people, and that's you

I bet this is you too, seeing these posts ooze of self hate
>>1259732
>>1259733
>>1259734
>dat rebbit multipost-per-reply
>too low IQ to even write proper English

top kek just fucking kill yourself already because if someone can hate himself, his country and culture so much, he should probably end his miserable pathetic life as well
>>
>>1259847
All the valid problems I see here is the infrastructure and the price of accomodations, but I've experienced no less scamming in Thailand
>>
File: 562.jpg (36KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
562.jpg
36KB, 600x600px
>>1259830
So I can see that almost everyone agrees that the infrastructure, the point of going from A to B, in Philippines is far more of a hassle than in its neighboring countries, and can also be more expensive.
Which I have to agree on, and although it doesn't bother me too much, it will surely affect family tourists and those who usually just go to the country for leisure rather than backpacking
I am happy to know that they are already building new airports/terminals in Bohol, Puerto Princessa, Cebu, and will also upgrade the roads and implement better bus transit connectivity

>>1259851
>t. I am totally not a filipino who cried when Mar Roxas lost
>>
File: 1411404080.jpg (86KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
1411404080.jpg
86KB, 620x350px
>>1259873
>this doesn't even matter you fucking retard
yes it matters, majority is not immersed in it

you do know those people doesn't wants to be Filipinos since it means slaves of Spain

you don't need to be a yellow to see that china wants the 9 dash line status co and means our islands and EEZ will be taken away

>scrapped the joint sea exploration and acted very aggressive towards China
China scraped that when the block our ships in 2011
>>
>>1259873

One would wonder why a nation would still like Chinese loans when these loans obviously only benefits China. The answer is in monitoring. The Chinese don't give a shit on how a borrower spends the money. They only care that the debt gets paid in the end, and that Chinese contractors are used if the government chooses to spend the money. In case of Arroyo, some money were spent in the projects and some were stolen. The Chinese probably knew about this but business is business. They kept silent, they only care that debt will be paid accordingly in the next administrations.

What makes it worse are what the Arroyo administration offered to China in exchange for the approval of the loans. Before granting these huge loans to the Philippines, China wanted something from the Philippines and the Arroyo administration gave it to them. China was able to get the Philippines and Vietnam join the Joint Marine Seismic Undertaking (JMSU) which surveyed the seas closest to Palawan (not China, and not Vietnam) for oil. The surveyor ship is a Chinese ship with only one Filipino engineer in it (the only Filipino in that ship). JMSU ended in 2008 I think but the data of that survey is still held by the Chinese. I doubt they'll ever share the data with us. Ever wonder why they always block now any resupply mission we have for our troops guarding Ayungin shoal, but you don't hear the same news for our resupply missions to farther islands and reefs (like our resupply missions to Pagasa island which aren't blocked by China at all).

The NorthRail project and National Broadband Network were the largest Chinese-financed projects during Arroyo's time. Even if the Aquino administration wanted to continue those, the Chinese won't cooperate with an administration hostile to Chinese territorial claims.
People are so forgetful these days.
>>
>>1259873
>The status quo at least had you keep all your islands and did not affect your EEZ(which you can't even spell right and thinks equal territory lmao) in any unauthorized way.
>>
>>1259884
What Gloria did actually sound treasonous
>>
File: 1433178611497.jpg (23KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1433178611497.jpg
23KB, 540x540px
>>1259883
>hurr durr my IQ is so low I need to repeat something exactly as I said it as I am a brainlet and can't process anything more complex

>China scraped that when the block our ships in 2011
That's some very strong bullshit you have there. How much is MVP and Del Rosario paying you to suck their tiny dicks?

>>1259885
How many islands did China "steal" from you under Erap and GMA's status quo meaning you lost complete control over it and your fishermen and other ships were forced away?

How successful in keeping one single shoal was Abnoy at?

Holy fucking shit, you yellowniggers are so fucking stupid and also so fucking obnoxious that you have to bring politics into every single aspect for discussion. I simply said that Chinese tourists were a factor due to the WPS dispute, and all you faggot started whining about was "muh chinks steal our islands, PNig was best and bravest president evah, i am totally not a yellowshill btw"
>>
>>1259887
>How many islands did China "steal" from you under Erap and GMA's status quo

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/100728/what-did-erap-and-gma-promise-china

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd8MEsT5zfE

I guess we are seeing it now
>>
File: 1423547047105.jpg (156KB, 457x752px) Image search: [Google]
1423547047105.jpg
156KB, 457x752px
>>1259884

>One would wonder why a nation would still like Chinese loans when these loans obviously only benefits China.
GEE I WONDER WHEN THERE WAS A TIME WHERE A LOAN DID NOT BENEFIT THE LOANER. KYS
>The Chinese don't give a shit on how a borrower spends the money. They only care that the debt gets paid in the end, and that Chinese contractors are used if the government chooses to spend the money
just like Japan amirite? :)

> In case of Arroyo, some money were spent in the projects and some were stolen. The Chinese probably knew about this but business is business. They kept silent, they only care that debt will be paid accordingly in the next administrations.
You know that Arroyo paid all the debt by the end of her administration, and even more? The debt that the Philippines had was far higher when she entered office than when she left office. But your IQ is 70 so it's fine my Pignoise

> Ever wonder why they always block now any resupply mission we have for our troops guarding Ayungin shoal, but you don't hear the same news for our resupply missions to farther islands and reefs (like our resupply missions to Pagasa island which aren't blocked by China at all).
You know most of the reason why chinks never bothered to share the joint explorations with you was because of you scrapping the deals in favor of Manuel V. Pangilians potential $$?

>he Chinese won't cooperate with an administration hostile to Chinese territorial claims
Yah, if someone decided to act very hostile against me all of a sudden after years of cooperation, you think I would be completely nice and give them all they want? But contrary to what you say, PNOC actually received all the data from Chinks you dumb shit

This is a fucking board about tourism. No need for you Filinigger to get so damn butthurt about muh chinks
>>
>>1259887
>so fucking obnoxious that you have to bring politics into every single aspect for discussion
>accusing anyone with negative opinions and view as a yellow

whoever this is really >>1259178
>>
File: 4353534.jpg (90KB, 643x960px) Image search: [Google]
4353534.jpg
90KB, 643x960px
>>1259888
>inquirer
>SNNG
HAHAHAHAH

You sound like the exact same faggot, who even types like a literal faggot, that kept stopping by /pg/ to spread your butthurt from r/philippines there

>>1259890

>accusing anyone with negative opinions and view as a yellow

Because it's so fucking obivous you belong to the Liberal Party
>hurr Gloria, Marcos and Duterte BAD
>PNOY BEST PREDISENT EVAH
>muh chinks steal our islands under status quo!
>PNoy Foreign Policy best in tha world
>oh, btw I am totally not a dilaw
>>
>>1259889
>You know that Arroyo paid all the debt by the end of her administration, and even more?

http://pcij.org/stories/glorias-inglorious-record-biggest-debtor-least-popular/
>>
>>1259892
point still stand
she>>1259178
you and do bring the pol in this
>>
>>1259892
do you want other newsites?

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/opinion/content/223510/china-s-spratlys-intrusions-connected-to-gloria-arroyo-deal/story/

http://www.rappler.com/nation/9128-how-china-views-aquino,-arroyo
>>
File: 961073_orig.png (176KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
961073_orig.png
176KB, 960x720px
>>1259893
how about instead of being a complete retard and using garbage journalism that is obviously written by Liberal Party members(look at those articles to the right KEK), you use factual evidence?
>>
File: 5332432.jpg (325KB, 860x700px) Image search: [Google]
5332432.jpg
325KB, 860x700px
>>1259895
>GMA opinion
>Crappler

nice try
>>
>>1259896
it just means we still have our debts

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/774774/well-pay-marcos-debt-until-2025
>>
>>1259897
>>1259892
tbf
greentexting the name of the newspaper is not really refuting them
>>
File: 1496419398017.jpg (86KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1496419398017.jpg
86KB, 600x600px
>>1259898
>still types like a literal faggo
>"uuhm yeah uhm well still we are uuhm oh yeah uuhm its still like that yeah i am totally not butthurt and destroyed yeah"

And here you have Marcos debt instead of Arroyo. Get the fuck out
>>1259899
It is because an opinion is nothing more than an opinion: a shitty piece of journalism that doesn't have to be factual. Besides they are talking about all this after chinks got butthurt when the joint explorations got scrapped
>tbf
Mabuhay r/philippines

Flipshit, fuck off, this is a travel board. No need to spread yellowcancer here and prove that GMA was literally Marcos 2.0 and PNoy was best president
>>
>>1259900
Its all part of it>>1259896

tho>>1259893
>R. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo has borrowed a record P3.54 trillion in debts from 2001 to 2007, making her the single biggest borrower among the post-Edsa presidents.

its kind of to refute the money trail
>>
>>1259901
>biggest borrower
>recovered the economy making it one of the fastest growing in the world, helping off paying the debt
>>
>>1259900
>joint explorations got scrapped

And now we know why china doesnt want to share
its findings
>>
>>1259902
we are still paying for them tho

http://fdc.(ph)/programs/debt-and-public-finance/news-on-debt-and-public-finance/217-glorias-legacy
>>
>>1259903
yes, because if you have a friend and you both have this stash of pot, don't act surprised when your friend won't share any more of it the day you start acting like an asshole towards him and ruins the friendship
>>1259904
Holy shit can you stop talking like a fucking faggot and fuck off with your yellow butthurt by posting shitty articles that has no factual basis, cocksucking putangina mo
>>
File: wat.jpg (146KB, 737x223px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
146KB, 737x223px
>>1259905
we can go to the gov and see the records right?
>>
>>1259905
I agree when china started acting like an greedy asshole and turns it back to the joint exploration

the friendship ended
>>
>>1259906
National Government Debt Serivce=/=Foreign/External Debt
>>
>>1259739
That's very strange
I was visiting 2 villages, the first is where my friends relatives live, and the other was near the place my friend grew up

In the first village, his aunt made us a "traditional" meal that she had been taught by her lola. It involved this:
>she sauted chopped garlic, onion and ginger
>added ground annatto seeds and fish sauce to mix it with the vegetables
>added chopped stingray to the mix
>then added the coconut water and whole lemongrass
>in the end, she added some bell peppers and chili
It didn't taste exactly like the thai red chicken curry I used to eat in Bangkok, mostly because it didn't have chicken and neither did it use curry, but the texture was almost identical, and was very refreshing and spicy too.

>>1259740
Whatever you say, I have never seen a cuisine there, even in Legazpi, where there's only a few chilis ontop of the food. All the bicol express from bicol had plenty of chopped green chilis and some red chilis in it.
Stingray is the main ingredient of kinunot btw
>>
File: sddefault.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sddefault.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6w7fwDrIzo
>>
>>1257855
If you're into non-pro girls Philippines is way better.
>>
File: 6642432.jpg (238KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
6642432.jpg
238KB, 600x315px
https://vimeo.com/221167002

>mfw self-hating Peenoise and sheltered westerners who just went to Thailand solely to lose their virginity thinks Philippines has nothing special to offer
this is from a single province
>>
>>1261071
So why isn't it more popular?
>>
>>1258835

They probably spoke japanese to u because they don't know any other languages.

PH was a lot more expensive than I thought it would be, considering how dirt poor it is. I can drink cheaper in Eastern Europe. Heck even hotels are cheaper than in PH.
>>
>>1261075
see
>>1259237
>>1259239
>>1259242
>>
>>1261075
>lack of promotion compared to its neighbors
>cost of accommodations
>lack of sufficient low-cost carrier flights to Philippines, far more flights that are sometimes cheaper going to Thailand
>bad infrastructure and connectivity
>state of NAIA(self-explainable)
>the concern of crime rate, rebellion and kidnappings(although this seems to be a rather minor cause)
>>
>>1261082

This aand Manila being so god damn awful place. Cebu is just slightly better, and these are the main flight destinations. :( ugh.
>>
>>1257774
Bottom line it sucks compared to its neighbors and its not as cheap either
Not worth a trip
>>
>>1261105
fuck off nigger
>>
Here is a question. Why do you want it to be more popular? There are so few nice places to go that aren't overrun with tourists.
>>
>>1257774
Bali Indonesia BTFO the entire island roster of this country.

plus the Philippines has ISIS now
>>
>>1259908
so it still has so much debt
>>
>>1261075
Because it sucks it really does
>>
>>1261135
That debt rate is among the lowest in the world you fucking retard
>>1261134
>>1261136
Oh I see now 2 minutes between each reply, you are probably yet another pathetic self hating flipcunt who should probably kill himself today to make the world a better place
>>
>>1261129
I want it more popular but not as popular as Thailand. Just to the point where it has 10 million annual visitors like Vietnam and Indonesia
>>
>>1261071
The problem being that most westerns who will spend big money are sheltered and unless you out spend your rivals on advertising and influencing travel agents people will continue to stay ignorant
>>
>>1261071
>tfw no slightly THICC qt filipina gf ;_;
>>
>>1261224
Literally the easiest thing in the world to get. You can even get them off of FB.
>>
>>1261246
I though Koreans were easy
>>
>>1261086
If only Manila and Cebu could solve their slum problem, and have some sort of backpacker area like the Khaosan Road, and solve the pollution, they would be comparable to Bangkok
Hell even Bangkok ain't that interesting to begin with outside malling and street food

Now, Cebu island got its fair share of worthy destinations though
>>
>>1257855
Pretty much this.

I'm filipino but born and raised in Canada and have spent a lot of time in SEA. the only region with decent good in Philippines is Bicol (they use coconut oil and peppers in their cooking). Everything else is deep fried and pork. Which doesn't taste bad, but doesn't come close to Thai, Malaysian, or Viet cuisine.

But I think as a white person, it's one of the best countries to go to if you want to connect with locals. Even the poor ass people in random ass villages and speak English and can invite you into their home.

The people that travel through also tend to be really different. A lot of dudes, which in itself is a reason for me to go to Thailand.
>>
>>1261213
It still has it tho
>>
>>1261306
>But I think as a white person, it's one of the best countries to go to if you want to connect with locals. Even the poor ass people in random ass villages and speak English and can invite you into their home.

What will most likely happen is they will extract money out of you or just upright scam you for money, especially in the countryside.
>>
>>1261343
Not necessarily true. I'm not a big fan of my culture but they're in general pretty hospitable. The further out of a big city you go, the nicer they get.

They worship white people so even just the honour of inviting you in, housing you, etc is a big deal for a lot of people in the countryside.

The scamming is no different than any other country, really.
>>
>>1261347
Yeah they worship the money, be careful of the scams here
>>
>>1261350
Whites do get the overcharge scam more often than Koreans or Chinese
>>
>>1261306
>Which doesn't taste bad, but doesn't come close to Thai, Malaysian, or Viet cuisine.

Tried food from Mindanao? Plenty of Malay influence there, and it's quite unique from the food in Luzon
>>
I hope it stays that way.
Filipino American here, I love The Philippines and wanna keep it low key.
>>
>>1259888
I see you are very bluepilled on the WPS issue
Do you know Manny Pangilian, with the blessings of Noynoy and Del Rosario, offered to give up islands in the Spratleys in exchange for Reed Banks?
>>
>>1261388
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd8MEsT5zfE

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/opinion/content/223510/china-s-spratlys-intrusions-connected-to-gloria-arroyo-deal/story/

It goes back further
There's even wiki leaks fort his now
>>
>>1261363
The Muslim Cuisines definitely

They are not allowed to cook pork only seafood
>>
>>1259101
$3 whores do not exist anywhere in the world except perhaps in some tiny rural North Korean village, or in the middle of the Congo where you are likely to get AIDS as a souvenir.
>>
>>1261446
No it doesn't, it all begun when Del Rosario first goes "FUCK OFF" to China once he assumes office, then breaks the Declaration of Conduct from 2002( which was a deal done by China, Vietnam and Philippines to have no unilateral surveys in order to ease up the massive tensions that occurred in the late 90's) by doing some survey study in 2011 by Reeds bank together with his Business partner MVP through Philex(non-state company), THEN to fix their shit up to benefit their own business by offering Chinks Spratley islands so they can get investments extracting gas from Reeds bank and use the 60/40 rule for their own benefit, instead of having PNOC extracting gas instead which would surely be more beneficial for the common Filipino

You are just beyond bluepilled and that video and article you provided are merely opinions with no factual basis.

Look here
http://www.thinkingpinoy.net/2016/07/south-china-sea-ITLOS-UNCLOS-Yasay-Face-chexit.html
inb4 'muh TP is biased and unfactual because it hurts my feelings'

tl;dr
Del Rosario and Manny Pangilian were the ones who literally offered to sell Spratleys
No tensions or island grabbing happened prior to 2011
>>
>>1261459
They exist in Bangladesh

but
>>1259101
Filipina whores are cheaper than Thai whores
>>
>>1261461
https://kahimyang.com/kauswagan/articles/543/wikileaks-china-used-zte-to-buy-gloria-macapagal-arroyo-influence-a-typically-chinese-deal

It goes back further and the video said a lot of official gov stuf
>>
>>1261467
This has nothing to do with WPS
Kill yourself you fucking low-IQ retard
>>
>>1261472
>>1261472
http://news.abs-cbn.com/-depth/04/17/12/wikileaks-cables-arroyo-scandals-affected-spratlys
The leask are telling otherwise even government officials

>inb4 abs cbn cause it hurts
Your feelings
>>
File: 1482178939929.png (782KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1482178939929.png
782KB, 1024x576px
>>1261473

can you please fuck off from here you self hating fucking piece of shit who lacks the intellectuality to do anything other than linking garbage articles without elaborating
this is not talking about anything other than bringing up the JMSU together with the ZTE scandal, it's only assumption that those were connected to each others. Shitton of so-called 'wikileaks' cables aren't even 100% factual and could be leaked by fabricated
If the JMSU deals were truly anomalous, the Aquino administration would have dragged their nuts from miles of broken glass to file a case regarding this. However, only case they filed related to that article was regarding the ZTE scandal
Even if she or anyone in her admin did indeed receive bribes to push through the JMSU, it still doesn't mean jack shit for the sovereignty of the Philippines because China made no extra claims in the EEZ and no illegal island building or claiming took place, which in the end makes you a fucking retard with 0 reading comprehensibility and an IQ of probably 60 because you can't compile information and process it like what is written.
And that JMSU wasn't even extended under Arroyo's term, which was mostly so that Forum Energy PLC(MVP and Del Rosario group) could get its share of the Reeds Bank
http://www.philstar.com/headlines/72480/joint-exploration-pact-lapses

You are guaranteed the exact same autist who lurks around every single fucking board here to find every single Philippines related thread just to desperately shit on your own godamn country, and I know this by the way you type
Just kill yourself already you pathetic loser, or maybe you are such a massive subhuman who can't get emotional after all the bantz I've thrown at you because it surely doesn't look so
>>
>>1261476
>"The decision on whether to extend the JMSU is crucial especially for Forum Energy PLC, which is optimistic that it could bag one contract in the Sampaguita prospects in offshore Palawan once the tri-partite agreement expires."
>>
>>1261476
>>1261473
>>1261479
her policy alone screwed us over

http://news.abs-cbn.com/special-report/03/14/08/policy-betrayal-first-three-parts

http://news.abs-cbn.com/nation/03/16/08/policy-betrayal-last-three-parts

>The JMSU also violated the Philippines' Petroleum Act of 1949. The law says that, "All natural deposits or occurrences of petroleum or natural gas...belong to the State," and that "the right to explore for, develop, exploit or utilize the petroleum resources...[should be undertaken] under a contract of service executed for the Republic of the Philippines by the President and approved by the Congress of the Philippines."
The JMSU agreement provides that for it to be valid, it has to be approved by the respective governments of the three national oil companies within 90 days. The question is: Where is the document that shows the Philippine government approved it? MalacaƱang, and the departments of energy, justice, and foreign affairs have not presented any.
>>
>>1261446
This is actually treason
>>
>>1261363
It is, but still pales in comparison to the other SEA food cultures. They barely use spices. For the longest time the national dish was chicken with soy sauce and vinegar as a marinade (bayleaf if you're fancy). Now it's sisig... Which is literally stir fried pork lol.
>>
>>1261476
I feel ya norbro. Don't stress yourself too much, not good for the health
>What good are torches, light or glasses, if people do not want to see.
>>
File: 1441557149748.jpg (34KB, 640x638px) Image search: [Google]
1441557149748.jpg
34KB, 640x638px
>>1261481
>asks 60-IQ JunJun to provide evidence that GMA sold islands
>provides more articles and opinions regarding the JMSU which itself had nothing to do with 'selling islands', unlike what MVP and Del Rosario literally proposed under PNoy's term
For one JMSU was purely seismic studies, and was also used as a way to ease the tensions in the WPS
>>
File: Batanes Shot.png (694KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Batanes Shot.png
694KB, 800x533px
I went to Batanes last year
My verdict: unforgetable experience. It's somewhere everyone should visit before they die
PH got their own Ireland, except it's much better and the water is comfortable to swim in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgEoUqpK-G0
>>
>>1261548
Sisig and adobo is actually very good, especially the tuna adobo I had in Batanes
They also had a huge variety of other delicious meals. I wouldn't compare it with other Asian cuisines, as that would be like comparing apples to oranges
>>
File: Sinigang-Na-Hipon-1.jpg (99KB, 640x544px) Image search: [Google]
Sinigang-Na-Hipon-1.jpg
99KB, 640x544px
I really don't understand the general dislike for Filipino food

Sure, it's not as good as thai, but thai food is a class of its own
Filipino food got plenty of flavorful dishes like Kaldereta, Sinigang, Adobo, Dinuguan, Ginataan, Lechon, Tapa, Satti and their spring rolls and satay is my personal favorites.
It's not just pork, although that happens to be a very common dish. Some people might be very unlucky, or fall for the "best food experience is where the common people eat". While this might be true for Bangkok, in Philippines low priced "carinderias" usually give you low quality food where the chefs usually overuse cooking oil and serve the dishes in the least appetizing way possible.
It's also worth noting that I noticed that in Manila, alot of vendors add too much sweetening in their street food, which might shun some food trippers. It might also be that there are plenty of dishes that use parts of animals that people will find disgusting because they are used to eating pure meat rather than internal organs and blood. But this is just something they should overcome mentally as these parts are not only tasty but also quite healthy

You should check out Mark Wiens YouTube. He's a man living in Thailand and has huge experience on Thai food.
He recently uploaded some videos when he was in Manila. He liked most of the food very well, except for one video where he's with a guide who apparently has no idea about street food and took him to. He happens to be a guy who doesn't like sweet stuff. But otherwise, he almost always makes his iconic "head-tilt" whenever he tastes something that he likes very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87If-Q2pJWQ
tl;dr
Filipino food is largely misunderstood and underrated
>>
>>1261548
isn't sisig the cheeks, snout and brain of a pork chopped up with a little soy sauce, salt, onions and chilies?
>>
>>1262120
Because it's objectively not that good. I'd consider myself a foodie and I'm not even a snobby one. Of course they have good dishes. But so does any country and culture. Would I travel to Philippines just for food?

Absolutely not. But there are many countries where I would. It's not the best in the world and it's not the worst in the world, but I think it's tough competition in SEA. Even from a technical cooking standpoint, filipino food isn't really all that flavourful. They're not big on spices or herbs and salt/soy makes up a lot of the marinades. That, and it's pretty much just all deep-fried. Anything tastes good if you deep fry it...

Just mostly salty. I've tried all of the foods you listed and they're good. My parents are amazing Filipino food cooks too so I can appreciate a solid Sinigang, Adobo, Kaldereta, etc.

I imagine we'll likely agree to disagree, though. I see what you're saying but don't think Philippines is even worth a mention if you were to talk about cuisines all over the world.
>>
>>1262140
surely the food is really the reason to go to the Philippines. It's far from the best in the world. But I feel like it's has received an undeserving reputation, being called "asias worst" by some.

In my opinion, only Thailand, Japan and China is worth going to in the region simply because of the food
Whereas Malaysia-Singapore, Korea, Vietnam and Philippines, despite their food being good, has more to offer than their food.
Honestly, Vietnamese food is quite overrated. Most of the good things is basically carbon-copies of dishes from China.
Malaysian and Singapore food is quite good too, but Thai is far better.
I assume it's the same for Indonesia
As for Korea, most of the dishes are either heavily Chinese or Japanese influenced. Even their kimchi dishes is Chinese dishes fried in kimchi base. A lot of their dishes are also kinda sweet and some of their seafood is kinda bland
>>
>>1262146
excuse me I am dumb
I meant gochujang, not kimchi base
>>
>>1262146
So who is Asia's worst food, then?
>>
>>1262152
Mongolian according to a friend of mine
>>
>>1262120
I can't believe you didn't try Filipino puchero
It's a prime example of something that looks like shit, but tastes like cloud nine
Atchara too
>>
>>1262155
But Mongolian BBQ!!!!
>>
File: 1442596863223.jpg (9KB, 225x165px) Image search: [Google]
1442596863223.jpg
9KB, 225x165px
>>1262168
>mfw mongolian bbq is not mongolian
>>
>>1262152
Any country whose name ends with -stan.
>>
>>1262146
It's only slightly worse than Laos and a lot richer. The people literally have shitty taste in food. My cousins all instagram fucking shitty food lmao
>>
>>1262226
Slightly better than Laos*
Probably tied with Cambodia too.
>>
>>1262152
Philippines

I don't think the Latin without the spice thing is really working out for them
>>
>>1257774
I don't think safety is the main concern when people decide where to travel. It's actually what a country can offer. No one can deny that Egypt is famous for its pyramids, sphinx, those Ancient Egypt culture. Many people think that it's worth to see those attractions even when it's quite unsafe. I think Thailand understands this and that's why people flock there. People want to visit some temples, bang a chick, have a sunbath at a beach, eat authentic Thai foods, all of these at a cheap price with good services.

PH has to know what it can offer. Culture? Filipinos say that it's just a Latin/American culture. The foods? Filipinos say that it's not for tourists and offer Jollibee instead. The beaches? many Filipinos proud of that when Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam have all of that too. What to do in Manila? Filipinos tell them to go to Makati or just skip the city. OMG really? It has to offer something unique. If there isn't, then create them. Japan has its newly invented Cool Japan culture. South Korea has its entertainment industry with many invented subcultures. Some cultures in Thailand and Vietnam are recently invented too (e.g., street foods, Ladyboys/LGBT culture). You cannot expect tourists when there are not many attractions.
>>
>>1261621
Traveling to get to there is a bitch tho
>>
>>1257774
http://m.philstar.com/314191/show/11cf65dbdbf2b4c01e7aecb38fa5e30f/?

>most dangerous country for tourist
>>
>>1262224
>>1262226
>>1262228
When you start lumping Cambodian and Laotian cusinie as bad, which in general are heavily Thai influenced, I know you have shit taste/have never tried any of this

>>1262235
>self-hating junjun still won't leave the thread with his faggotry
>"walang korapsyon, walang bad food amirite? XD#

>>1262237
Philippines got as of attraction you can visit, Intramuros, Batanes, Banuae, Coron, El Nido, caves all around Benguet, Chocolate Hills, Mount Mayo, Mount Apo, Mount Pulag, Binondo
There are other things like numerous festivals around the entire country which is not just people parading in colorful costumes, but also the Pampanga Lantern Festival
It also offers the biggest malls in the world
But maybe the most notable, the people themselves are considered the most hospitable in the region, and most of them can also understand English
Just wait for it. They'll come there too with newly invented cultures as you said

>>1262240
you know Thailand is pretty high up on that list, it generally doesn't mean shit and is only based on 'muh feels'
>>
>>1262237
>>1262146
Thai's put a lot of effort into tourism and are appreciative of the visitors, compared to the Filipinos acting like they are doing you a favor by letting you visit their country. Filipinos are natural imitators and copycats, yet cannot figure out how to copy successful countries. BAKA
>>
>>1262122
Yes in the most traditional way
>>
>>1262336
The Philippines is a nation where if you, as a foreigner, ask for help and they don't know the answer, the average person will make some shit up rather than admit they don't know so you can ask someone else. The pride is too strong here, gotta be flawless.
>>
>>1262237
>Some cultures in Thailand and Vietnam are recently invented too (e.g., street foods, Ladyboys/LGBT culture).
thai ladyboy culture is not new but is has evolved recently
>>1262339
WTF
>>
File: P_20130520_130349.jpg (3MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
P_20130520_130349.jpg
3MB, 2560x1920px
tl;dr Filipino (who looks more like a Korean, think Lee Min Ho but only 5'8) who has never been to another country to live in Boston for 3 months every year, mostly alone when outside of the office.

How do I prepare for this? What do I need to know?
Culture wise I'm confident I won't have any issues fitting in, what I'm worried about is how to get around.

Here's what I know and I'm preparing for so far:
>will be staying in a 3 star hotel
That covers all my basic needs I guess. Food/shelter/gym.
>vehicle will also be provided (I know I can use my Flip license for 6 months, I'm not sure if that resets annually - if it does I'm good)
Hotel will also provide me a van that will take me to the office and vice versa, but being able to go anytime I want sounds so much more better.
>mobile data on my phone - how?
I'm using an old iPhone 5s, can I just get a microsim with a plan from some service provider and be done with it? I only need this for calls/messages/emails/GPS/google/tinder.
>winter stuff (in case I get sent during winter)
Done
>degeneracy
Alcohol and sex. Are there a lot of qts who suffer from yellow fever in Boston?

Below is what I'm 100% sure I'll be packing
1. Clothes, just a couple, maybe shit that will last me for a week and build my wardrobe there once I arrive.
2. Laptop, I mean hey it's my work laptop.
3. Hammock/tarp. I enjoy camping.

Also my inner /fit/ is kicking in, here at 5'8 I'm way above average height, I think I might just kill myself once I find out how much of a midget I really am once I arrive.
>>
File: P_20130520_132548.jpg (3MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
P_20130520_132548.jpg
3MB, 2560x1920px
>>1262386
Well fuck I wrote all that thinking it was for a new thread, but I also wanted to post that image here.
Pic is from Asik-Asik falls. Water seeping through cracks of a cliff, at the top is just a rice field, no river.
>>
>>1262336
I didn't know you could confuse Filipinos with Koreans and Chinese
>>
>>1262390
A lot of Filipinos with Chinese blood. Hell, I saw first hand my Thai ex gf be mistaken for Chinese and Japanese. I also have seen her mistake a Filipina for a Thai. Though there are Asian stereotypes, there is a ton of overlap. Especially when you speak in nationalities, not ethnicities
>>
>>1262140
>>1262146
I beg to disagree that very few would travel to the Philippines also for the food

One of the primary reasons I and some friends returned to Cebu this year was due to the amazing lechon I had there
Other dishes I absolutely loved was bohol ekspress, sizzling sisig,kaldereta, lumpia and by far their deserts. There were plenty of other things that I can't recall the name of, like deep fried pork knuckle, squid filled with onions and tomato barbecued, some banana spring roll that was just amazing. I also had a breakfast with fried egg, rice and some meat mix that was very similar to teriyaki. It was very delicious. Their barbecue is one of the best I've tasted. I ate at something called "Inasal" and was served a piece of chicken that was well marinated and juicy. Their street food is also definitely worth trying. For the first time in my life I literally ate the intestines and feet of a chicken but it tasted much better than I expected.

Only thing I didn't like so much was some goat innards soup, as it was very bitter
The problem is that very few foreigners know what Philippines has to offer in terms of food unlike Thailand and Vietnam. Contrary to those, there aren't much Filipino restaurants and there are neither much advertising of Filipino food in magazines and online sites

I'd agree that it's not as advanced and flavorful as Thai food
>>
File: lmao.jpg (85KB, 710x946px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.jpg
85KB, 710x946px
>>1262395
I think I'm an idiot but he's referring to the "copycat" thing.
Nonetheless, Flips/Malays/Viets/Thais can easily blend into each other.
Flips can also look very east asian.

t. local who fakes being a Japanese (know a little of the language, enough just to get by) in clubs so I can get some easy local poontang.

>>1262397
While I agree that our dishes aren't up to par with most of SEA, I'm pretty confident that if we can find a way to present our food without looking like puke/shit(the list you mentioned outside of the local lumpia, all of them look like someone threw up on your plate if not presented properly), we'd be up there one way or another.

>I also had a breakfast with fried egg, rice and some meat mix that was very similar to teriyaki
Tap-si-log. Tap(Tapa, beef jerky)-si(sinangag, fried rice)-log(itlog, eggs)
It has become its own group of food or whatever, people make somethingsomething-silog, from spam to bangus(milk fish) to bacon.

Were you able to try our Halo-Halo and Mango Float?
>>
Despite the bad things happening and what's being reported in other countries, the Philippines is still a stunningly beautiful nation. Blessed by nature, a paradise for gods and mortals alike.

https://vimeo.com/221701540
>>
>>1262319
I didn't say Cambodian was shit. I just said it's lower than the others and higher than philippines. Laotian food isn't spectacular. And I'm not just talking about perfect dishes from the capital...I'm also taking into account the street food. Laotian food is shit.
>>
>>1262397
I'm the guy shitting on Filipino food and literally had like 3 out of 4 dishes that you named in your post. Like I said before, my parents are great cooks.

And my cousins instagram when they eat at mang inasal. To me, it's people flipping out about grilled chicken. So many countries do grilled chicken better than Phili does.
>>
>>1262676
long day...my bad. I literally had 3 or 4 of the dishes that you named in your post today*

I find it when people call me out on not having been to a country or a region. Food is a big reason for me to travel. I've been to ~45 countries and enjoy street food as much as Michelin star restaurants. I don't skimp out on food and even go out of my way to check out restaurants/eat when I'm with others or in a group.
>>
>>1262237
>cultures in Thailand and Vietnam are recently invented too (e.g., street foods, Ladyboys/LGBT culture).

Ladyboy culture is not something that is new, it has centuries of tradition.
>>
File: db0.jpg (26KB, 349x642px) Image search: [Google]
db0.jpg
26KB, 349x642px
>>1262675
>I didn't say Cambodian was shit. I just said it's lower than the others and higher than philippines
You said it was tied with Filipino you fucking retard, so you are definitely just making shit up
>>1262676
>And my cousins instagram when they eat at mang inasal.
>mang inasal

Yeah no wonder you didn't find it spectacular when you ate at a fucking fast food restaurant, you fucking stupid cunt, which makes all your other opinions invalid
You probably only tasted the Jollibee Tapsilog and call it "authentic Filipino food" too
>>
>>1262397
>bohol ekpress
>>
>>1262400
Thank you for the explaination
Yes, I recall there being multiple "silogs" available, like with sasuage and spam. There was some other that looked very delicious but I didn't get to try it. I think it might have been called tosino

Yes, I tried both halohalo and mango float, and even tried something similar with durian in it. I also had alot of those cakes that apparently used coconut and rice instead of ordinary flour. Delicious!
Also cheese ice cream and ube ice cream are one of my favorite flavors now

>>1262676
I reall
I too had some bad experiences, but when I tried the exact same dish in a different more reputable restaurant, I had a far different experience.
I can recall that one time, the lechon I had one time in some area near Manila wasn't as crisp and flavorful as the one I had in Cebu
I also recall that I had a couple of adobo(is it correct) meals that was quite oily around the country, but there was one restaurant I ate at that had apparently mastered the skill of soaking out the oil before serving. The results was an amazing savory dish that had a great combination of soy sauce, garlic, vinegar and bay leaf
And going crazy over grilled chicken is nothing wrong
One of the main courses of Korea is simply BBQ. It's like if you find any BBQ unworthy to try
Now I was adviced that the best grilled chicken was to be found in Bacolod
>>1262730
ah sorry, I might have thought of Bohol as I was there too.
>>
I went to the Philippines primarily for biking
And I gotta agree, it's underrated looking at the tourist arrivals compared to other countries and the non-existent advertising
>>
>>1262397
There's a reason why few people know about Filipino food, even though flips are absolutely everywhere around the world. Because it sucks compared to any other Asian food. Vietnamese/Thai/Japanese/Korean people can come to the US and make an income from a restaurant. Filipino restaurants are rare because no one except flips would be interested.
>>
>>1263297
>Vietnamese
>Korean
they are just as uninteresting as Filipino, except they are overrated as fuck
no seriously. Vietnamese is like 10% meat and the rest is tasteless vegetables, where the only redeeming dishes are Pho, Banh Mi, and Bo Kho.
As for Korean food, it's pretty bland and has very little variation in general
>>
>>1263297
I used to have Filipino neighbors, and they used to cook some amazing shit.

Korean immigrants seldom actually open authentic Korean restaurants. They usually open Japanese restaurants (because it's trendier & more lucrative), or they open Koreanized Chinese restaurants (with typical Korean-Chinese favorites like jajangmyeon, kkampoongi, etc.).

>>1263306
>Vietnamese is like 10% meat and the rest is tasteless vegetables, where the only redeeming dishes are Pho, Banh Mi, and Bo Kho.
Well, Pho is all they really need to stay in business.
>>
>>1257774
the average woman is above average attractiveness and theyre usually dirt poor catholic raised so decent wife material. most college grads will speak english fluently and it doesnt feel like thailand where it often feels like the locals just want to take your money as they smile at you

money can stretch real far there too.
>>
>>1257939
>alot of its cuisine is not that different from the other countries

Yeah, that's kind of the problem. If I go to a country for cuisine, I'd rather it be unique, not sort of like something else but not as good.

"Let's go out for Filipino food!"

.... said no one, ever.
>>
>>1262729
LOL... We've resorted to insults, eh? You must be really fucking dense cause I'm ethnically filipino and was responding to someone who enjoyed mang inasal. Take a lap, man.

>>1263297
> no one cares about filipino food.
This. In Toronto there's filipino restaurants and they're all pretty shitty. Even the most reputable ones are like canteen food. My parents are better cooks than 90% of the Filipino restaurants in my city. It's funny because this new trendy place opened up thsts filipino fusiĆ³n and the only reason it's successful is because the dishes are mostly other countries but "filipino-inspired"
>>
>>1263527
I'm not even that guy who tried Mang Inasal but you're still a fucking self hating faggot
>>
>>1263586
>self-hating faggot
I love myself but I'm not a big fan of my culture (believe me, I gave it a fair chance). I look Filipino but relate more to Canadian culture. Just like how you can be black, born and raised in Sweden, and wait for it...Identify as a Swede, culturally :O :O :O
>>
File: 1295447167521.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1295447167521.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
I'm dying to go to Philippines as my next asian country.

I went to Thailand last year (Changmai) and I loved it

I really want to check out Palawan.

However the friends I was traveling with told me that Phillipines has a ton of poverty and its pretty depressing. They told me homeless kids were following them from the airport begging for money.

That plus whats going on with Duterte and the Drugs makes me a little uneasy.

Any anons have some insight?
>>
>>1264073
Plus that ISIS problem sounds dangerous.

Might as well just go to thailand or Bali
>>
>>1264073
Poverty is limited to the Metropols

You have literally nothing to fear from the drug war, unless you want to go slumming and deal crystal meth. Actually if you do that, you have drug syndicates to fear more than the police
>>
>>1264118
ISIS is not threat to you if you will go to those nice places of Palawan
Southern part of Palawan might sound risky as it's not so far from the Sulu sea which is where the Abus(those kidnapping), but there hasn't been any incidents of kidnappings there as far as I know. Abus are getting destroyed in Basilan and Sulu as we speak so I think they have more important matters to do than to go all the way to El Nido to kidnap a couple of tourists
>>
>>1264121
This doesn't look like a metropolis

seem country side to me
>>
>>1264136
>Cebu City

It's the second largest city, mang
>>1263527
>Even the most reputable ones are like canteen food.
>It's funny because this new trendy place opened up thsts filipino fusiĆ³n and the only reason it's successful is because the dishes are mostly other countries but "filipino-inspired"

These are the problems with why there are no

Those so-called Carinderias are pretty much cafeterias where the food is already prepared and you just point to choose
These look quite unappetizing for foreigners, including me, even if the food can actually be very well made

Another problem is that countries outside the Philippines doesn't got easy access to certain ingredients like inards of animals, calamansi, siling labuyo and such.
And these fusion restaurants are pure garbage from my point of view.
It's very hard to make authentic Lechon in the US, as pork is very expensive and very few butheres sell medium-grown porks.
Thai is already well established all around, and the ingredients for Vietnamese food is not very hard to get. Hell, all local Vietnamese restaurants around here pretty much just sells some varieties of Pho, Banh Mi, and some vegetar meals.
Philippines could do the same with Mami, Tinapay/pandesal sandwhiches and some of these vegetar meals from Bicol

I remember very clearly the first time I tried crispy pata, bulalo, sisig, their grilled squid, adobo, tinola and a variety of their -silogs.
I have to say I was quite amazed
>>
I traveled all over Asia. Lived in Korea for 4 years and Japan for 1 year. When living in Canada I always heard people say you can live like a king in places like thailand, phillipines, cambodia, etc...

Well fuck that! I'd rather be poor in the first world then rich in the third world.

I went to Manila and Cebu. Have absolutely no desire to ever return. As a white man all the men there were giving me looks like they wanted to rob/kill me. Unless of course they were shop owners, then they had big smiles.

It's popular for Koreans for underage sex/massages. The food is salty, the girls are not pretty and if they are they are too young or already have kids.

The beaches are nice.... but where are the beaches not nice? For food and culture Japan and China any day over the phillipines. The people of phillipines also have pinoy pride they can not stop telling you about their famous boxer, and how beautiful their women are.... Gets boring fast.
>>
File: 1476822563869.jpg (20KB, 252x252px) Image search: [Google]
1476822563869.jpg
20KB, 252x252px
>>1264255
>I went to Manila and Cebu

Explains everything that is wrong with your post, you dumb nigger
>>
>>1264255
> As a white man all the men there were giving me looks like they wanted to rob/kill me
They give you those stares because you are white and it's unusual, I can confirm this as some Flip friend told me that everyone do that in a positive way. Whites are worshiped there
I had the same happen to me in Korea, although I feel like it was more of hatred as gooks are quite racist

>the girls are not pretty
no wonder if the only places you got to experience them was at some cheap brothels
>>
>>1264235
cont.
One of the major reasons why there hasn't been much Filipino restaurants is also because unlike Vietnamese and Chinese, Filipinos managed to intergrate in the US and other countries fairly quickly decades ago ,abandoning most of their culture and culinary traditions in favor for western ones. Whereas Vietnamese and Chinese usually kept on with their traditions and imported whatever they could to continue making the meals they usually loved to eat. In turn, they opened plenty of restaurants decades ago which got people eventually hooked in later years and are now as popular as they are these days

One example could be Korean cuisine. Today, restaurants are popping up left and right in the US and other countries. On the other hand, 10-20 years ago, Korean food was almost unheard of, despite Koreans being the 4th most populous Asian Americans, and has had a huge presence in the US since the 50's.
Would that mean their cuisine is shit?
>>
File: corong-corong-el-nido-palawan-4.jpg (389KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
corong-corong-el-nido-palawan-4.jpg
389KB, 900x600px
>>1264235
>>1264136
it really doesn't look like city

looks like what I would typically see in the countryside
>>
>>1264302
>Filipinos managed to intergrate in the US and other countries fairly quickly decades ago ,abandoning most of their culture and culinary traditions in favor for western ones.

they have nothing to blame for their non culture and shitty cuisines but themselves
>>
File: 1429665301363.jpg (73KB, 540x453px) Image search: [Google]
1429665301363.jpg
73KB, 540x453px
>>1264055
>I love myself
>but I hate the culture of my ancestry
that makes you a self hating faggot. Reminds me of those chinks and viets here who bitch about how shitty their ancestry and culture is. It's really cringeworthy and pathetic to listen to
>>1264444
well said, definitely not a self hating pignoise behind that post
>>
>>1264444
This is completely wrong

One of the primary reasons why Filipinos intergrated well is because of the American influence in their country, making them get quicker accustomed to American way of living. Same can be said for Japanese and Korean immigrants, who also happen to integrate quickly. Both these countries has also had a huge American influence after WWII. Only difference is that Japan had a huge culture boom in the 80's due to their big influence all over the world, which got people into Japanese food additionally. Same can be said about Koreans in the 21st century. As for Vietnamese restaurants, these weren't really starting to pop up until a few decades ago.

Even now, there are a few Filipino restaurants in the US that are actually starting to get quite popular. Maharlika Filipino Moderno in NYC has had its fair share of non-filipino customers with positive feedback
>>
>>1264693
>because of the American influence in their country

now you know why this country has no culture and is not popular
>>
>>1264543
Lmao you dumb fuck. Both of your quotes contradict each other...
>>
File: xKrkrET.jpg (119KB, 875x960px) Image search: [Google]
xKrkrET.jpg
119KB, 875x960px
>>1257774
>>
>>1264890
Yes,nigger. Your reading comprehension is so bad that you didn't even notice the part where he talked about Koreans and Japanese
>>1264947
nop. Your IQ is just too low to have any sense of logic

>>1265009
hello rebbit, now fuck off to r/cuckoldry
>>
I was there this January
My experience
pros
>probably one of the most beautiful places I've been in my life. It got all from volcanoes, tall mountains, white beaches, dense jungles, pine forests, waterfalls
>friendliest people I've been around in my life of travelling. They will always be able to put a smile on your face. Plenty of them are also good at speaking English
>best beaches in the world. Water is very clean, you have great places where you can scuba dive, and the beaches just look very good in general
>the highlands are definitely worth a visit. I'd say the Baguio or whatever it's called is much better than Sapa
>very safe from my experience. I never felt any danger from roaming around even at night
>everything other than hotels is quite cheap
>they have the best kind of coconuts I've ever had
>something I recommend if you want to travel to different islands for a cheap price is to go to the harbor areas of cities and ask boat drivers if they will go to those specific islands you want to go. If so you either pay them or they will offer to do it for free
>food was great, although some of it is not really the same as what you'd expect from a South East Asian country. But that doesn't mean it's bad. I'd suggest anyone here to try something called Boodle Fight. Google it and you will see what I mean

cons
>transportation is quite bad in terms of connectivity. I wouldn't mind if there was a seamless transfer from air plane to airplane, or from airport to (bus to boat) to hotel. But that doesn't seem like the case, and makes it hard as you have to bring your baggage everywhere
>some places are very littered, especially in the bigger cities
>food is a hit and miss. Some restaurants make pretty tasty native dishes. Others have the exact same dishes but are either drowned in oil and/or salt, and seems to have no idea how to cook
>prone to bad weather at times
>hotels cost slightly more than the rest of South East Asia
>traffic in the cities can be a bother
>>
>>1265009
dude, I too was wondering about the alleged killings in the drug war but my guide explained it quite well how it all works and how the drug war has been tainted bad by fake news spread by the opposition party and their ties to the US media
He also showed me how the murder rate has not gone up and has actually dropped in 2017
>>
>>1265166
Nice to see you're redpilled on the drug war. Have you told this to your relatives and friends?
If you're curious about the drug war, you could check out this site which gives daily updates
pia gov ph/realnumbers

Thanks for your experience post by the way. Do you think it's quite underrated?
>>
File: IMGP7546.jpg (560KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP7546.jpg
560KB, 800x530px
Everybody should check out Pangasinan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95QKibzhUUI
>>
I have been in entire Asia as a backpacker, and my top 3 destinations in South East Asia were 1. Indonesia 2. Philippines and 3. Vietnam/Myanmar

And I gotta say, Philippines is for sure one of the most beautiful places on earth. I have been all the way in the most Northern part called Ilocos, all the way south to Zamboanga. It was such an unforgetable experience, not only from the landscape but also the people. Oh, the people was probably the best I've experienced in the world. Extremely hospitable, very friendly and always helpful if they are able to. And best of all, almost all of them can converse in English far better than the other South East Asian countries. Even better than Japanese and Koreans!
I also liked the food very well, unlike what I've seen some people feel about it here. I suspect it might be because they eat the food without mixing it with rice first. Too large concentrations and it might be a little salt, but rice is a necessity to enjoy it. I really love their use of soy sauce, vinegar, chilies and some citric plant called Kalamansi into a marinade.
As I was there last December, I happened to be there under the current drug war. I had nothing to fear from it though. I was informed about it by the locals and I understand it far more now. The most serious case that happened was a drug raid in a town that I had booked a hotel for a few nights near Dumaguete. I didn't even see or hear it, I was only informed later on and that 3 guys had been arrested. No deaths whatsoever.

Only reason why Indonesia scored the highest is that it's much more mysterious to me. I absolutely love its architecture all around. Only downside I had was that not as many people spoke English as they did in Philippines

There was no country that I didn't like, but Thailand felt like too touristy and just didn't live up to my expectations. Myanmar was also a little hard to get around and I sadly didn't get to experience much of it due to the numerous no-go zones for foreigners
Thread posts: 257
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.