[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Blending in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

File: 2866905370_986f17e72b_b.jpg (282KB, 685x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2866905370_986f17e72b_b.jpg
282KB, 685x1024px
Do you try to blend in with the locals when you travel? Or do you resign yourself to toursitdom?
>>
>>1257259
I dress the same as at home.
>sporty casual or business casual
So it's natural to "blend in" as it's about the same everywhere in the world.
>>
>>1257280
Pretty much this unless you are going somewhere REALLY specific, just dress like normal people. I will do some basic T shirt designs and jeans, but nothing like AMERICA FUCK YEAH
>>
>>1257259
I dress how I like. Who gives a fuck about what people think of your dresscode?
>>
>>1257284
B-but how will I know if I am cool in my oppan loli de geso uguu shirt?
>>
I'm an Asian-American tourist who recently did Hong Kong and Japan.

I didn't dress as faggy as the locals, but I was still mistaken for one.
>>
>>1257259
I make a point of being inoffensive. Spent a lot of time in parts of Asia where the local standards are a little bit dressier/ more conservative than where I'm from, and super-casual/dirtbaggy getups make a terrible impression. So I didn't wear shorts and did laundry regularly.

Not least because of my time in Asia, I think I probably skew a little more formal than the average tourist. More buttoned shirts and slacks than t-shirts and shorts or jeans (although I do wear some t-shirts), and I don't really wear sneakers on the street. But I dress like that because I like it, and because I take a little care not to look nasty. I've never attempted to "blend in," and probably never would.
>>
File: cowboy-boots-for-normal-guy.jpg (463KB, 620x827px) Image search: [Google]
cowboy-boots-for-normal-guy.jpg
463KB, 620x827px
>>1257259
Yes, I like to try to walk the streets as a local, the only thing that would set me apart is if it's a scenic country and something cool happens and i whip out my phone camera

Plus i'm from Texas so replace boots with nice tennis shoes and I fit in pretty well, in central europe I fit in awesome due to both my parents being full blooded Germans

pic related, it's more or less how I dress
>>
>6' tall
>VERY white
>with very white blond wife
>last half dozen countries we've visited were japan, korea, cambodia, jamaica, italy and china
blending was not an option, even if i wanted to.
>>
>>1257323
mate you look like you don't even fit into your hometown let alone another country.
>>
>>1257259
I dress exactly like I do everyday back at home. Long jeans, buttoned shirt. No backpacks, cameras, shorts, hats and the like. Coupled with fast walking it's enough to blend in in the whiter parts of the world and free yourself from a lot of tout nagging.
>>
>>1257259
I travel light, and don't like dressing local

the clothes locals wear are often cheap, poorly made, and though suitable for the climate modern smart fabrics are often better

and I got sick of changing costume everywhere I went

and I also have a very different day-to-day than most locals.
in a city I'm traveling all day, so walking shoes instead of buisiness shoes is just sensible
In rural areas I'm either hiking or staying in town, so "farm clothes" are entirely unnecessary

I'm in SEA and locals wear just random clothes, but always cotton, denim, flip flops/sandals.

while there are certainly benefits trying to blend in, I lean strongly towards utilitarianism
army boots, wicking undershirts, broad brim hats, cargo shorts/pants or hiking pants

>2017
>pretending you're not a tourist
>>
I wear an American flag bandana and generally act like a Chad. For the most part people have an image of Americans and you can either run from who you are or just play the role and give people some stories to tell.
>>
>>1257360
>blending was not an option, even if i wanted to.

could've just squinted your eyes desuhonestly
>>
>>1257433
Have you been to Texas? Jeans boots and a t shirt is like heat in Texas, it's fucking everywhere, I said replace the boots with nice shoes and that's the attire I usually have on
>>
>>1257259
I'm black, so no. I just try not to look African
>>
i'm not fat enough, and my sneakers are too cool for the usa, otherwise i normally blend in.
>>
>>1257460
>while there are certainly benefits trying to blend in, I lean strongly towards utilitarianism
>army boots, wicking undershirts, broad brim hats, cargo shorts/pants or hiking pants
Really, I think you could find sandals utilitarian just the same. Maybe if you invested in serious brands of quality and comfort. I can't imagine anyone with a brain in a hot and humid environment enjoying clammy stinky boots.
There's a difference between dressing the weather and avoiding touristy looks as to just look ridiculous in a way not even an expat would subscribe to.

In every culture, there is a middle and upper class. They tend to pay more attention to an appearance that doesn't look cheaply made but also not flashy. You'll just see more quality in the accessories or tailoring. That works.
>>
>>1257433
kek
>>
>>1257360
this. i have red/blonde hair and light eyes. i pretend like im canadian tho
>>
>>1257783
>this. i have red/blonde hair and light eyes. i pretend like im canadian tho
Same here. I couldn't blend in either by virtue of height and coloring.
But, you can appear like at least an expat or foreign worker, and not a tourist, by dressing up to a business sense. Pulling out your labels on basic dress shirts. Wearing european leather walking sneakers or comfort dress shoes, not colorful track shoes. You command respect when you don't look like a bum, whether in a restaurant or store. On trains you look like a commuter, not a tourist.

OP's picture though? Serious photographers are a special breed and very into their craft. He doesn't look like a tourist to me, just an enthusiast and/or professional. People lugging that much equipment tend to dress down. Typical really.
>>
File: whitedudechinesehat.jpg (48KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
whitedudechinesehat.jpg
48KB, 640x360px
I blend in effortlessly everywhere I go in Asia, pic related for evidence.
>>
>tfw going to England
>tfw fat as fuck but most Brits are pudgy now so I can blend in

Feels good mana.
>>
>>1257280

This.

I normally make an effort to dress in accordance with whatever the local standards for Western attire are, though.

For instance, I'll keep on jeans even in warm weather when I'm Latin America or India.

I've found that works wonders in South Asia. My first few trips to India, people kept asking me where I was from and how long I was staying for.

After I got more used to the warm weather and began dressing like I did at home (rather than in shorts, sandals, and a t-shirt), the questions were more along the lines of "Are you a student at JNU?" or "Where do you work?"

Not a huge deal, but I got WAY less attention from con artists and other garden variety annoyances.
>>
I wear the same stuff abroad that I wear at home. Overstuffed cargo shorts, enormous fly-fishing button down with each pocket containing a useful tidbit of equipment (each pocket is labeled, naturally), fishing hat with tackle, solar powered watch, battery powered watch, 65L backpack with another 20L bag attached to it all buckles buckled in the front to prevent thievery, and steel-toed combat boots. I top it off with a Canadian flag patch on all aforementioned items.
>>
>>1257259
I mostly wear shabby clothing. Practical, but not the kind of TrekMaster90000 tryhard gear. In a really nice area I may be mistaken for a local bum. I don't really change that style, so the extent to which I blend in depends on the location
>>
>>1257474
the only correct answer
>>
>>1257259
i wear what i would wear at home, so i don't wear anything touristy (functional materials, fanny packs, hawaiian shirts, sunhats etc.) but also don't specifically try to dress like the locals. I only adapt to local customs where my normal choice of clothes would be considered indecent (no shorts in very conservative countries).
>>
>>1257259
Kind of impossible.
I'm fat and I wear shorts, a big hat and carry around a backpack and camera everywhere I go, even at home everyday.

>No, I'm not a tourist, I've lived here for 17 years and I remember this place before you showed up and started hassling tourists.
>>
>>1257474
Guile good sir, do you even know how to chadwalk?
>>
File: 20151029_120150.jpg (140KB, 562x1000px)
20151029_120150.jpg
140KB, 562x1000px
>went to foreign land
>every male is short and dark
>am tall, am white
>for the first time in my life all items of clothing on me were stylish and expensive
>pussy attention 24/7
>girl stops me on the streets and wants photos of me for her university project on fashion
>later that night tinder match
>"are you that guy in the red docs (dr martin) I saw earlier"

give me back 2015 :(
>>
>>1257259
Why would I be pretend to be a local? In some parts of the world that'd be pretty hard anyway. I dress the way I always dress and of course I'm going to carry my camera around when I go out to see stuff. I do like to try and find myself in some bars or restaurants that are at least a little bit out of the touristy area's. They're often better, cheaper and with friendlier staff.
>>
>>1257259
I feel like the only people that dress like "typical tourists" are middle aged people and nerds. I've only really been to yurop and the youth there dress pretty similar to north american youth, just a little more clean and stylish.
>>
>>1259172
which country was that?
>>
>>1259449
There a lot of difference between northern and southern Europe, though. Skin tight white jeans on men are much less common north of the alps...
>>
>>1259449
>I feel like the only people that dress like "typical tourists" are middle aged people and nerds.
I actually dressed like a normal person when I traveled solo for the first time ever.

Over time, I gradually became more like a "typical tourist." I started wearing cargo pants (oh god), ugly but comfy shoes (oh god), an actual practical backpack instead of a normal/casual backpack (oh dear god), and I started carrying a decent camera instead of relying on my phone or a shitty $80 P&S (OH MY FUCKING GOD).

I think traveling consumes you this way.
>>
>>1257259
>Do you try to blend in with the locals when you travel?
Go to good will in your home town, buy the junk that fits you enough to look normalish.

Alternatively
>buy some clothes there at a low end store
>>
>>1257259
>Do you try to blend in with the locals when you travel?
I'm Asian.

When I'm in Asia, they're none the wiser. When I'm in Europe or Africa, there's no helping it. When I'm in the Americas, I'm either mistaken for the local Asian immigrant community, or I'm mistaken for a Hispanic.
>>
>>1259451
Not the guy you're asking, but Celestia, the non-alcoholic beer like beverage in the picture, is from Tunisia.
>>
As a white male, blending in is pretty much impossible anywhere outside of Europe. Sure I could dress like a K-pop star in Seoul or an Indian folk singer in Rajahstan, but I am obviously not from there, so why bother? Who do you guys think you are fooling lol?

Best just to dress smart-casual abroad, nice polo with some clean (non cargo) type of shorts or Levi's (weather dependent). Smart trainers or some quality thongs for the tropics.
>>
>>1259706
After awhile you get tired of trying to be stylish and hip all the time and just want to be comfortable and practical, that's part of growing up too.
>>
Why do you want to blend in?

Stand out, bee yourself. Believe it or not, people like interacting with foreigners (if you're white).

Aside from being a possible target for theft/mugging, there's nothing wrong with dressing like you do in your home country.
>>
>>1260679
You can feasibly blend in in North America, to some extent Central/Latin/South America, a select few middle-eastern countries, and India.

I've met some Indians and Arabs who looked convincingly white.
>>
>>1260679
>Best just to dress smart-casual abroad, nice polo with some clean (non cargo) type of shorts or Levi's (weather dependent). Smart trainers or some quality thongs for the tropics.
That's still the uniform of middle class white suburbanite men whose sense of style hasn't changed since elementary school.
>>
Why are you guys so afraid of being identified as tourists? Nobody on the street will look at you twice in a normal country and you wouldn't blend in anyway if you went to some shit tier Asian country.
>>
>>1260928
Peace and quiet. Not looking like a tourist from a mile away cuts tout and scammer nagging by 90%.
Obviously impossible to do when you're the only white within a hundred miles, but worth it if you can pull it off.
>>
>>1260928
I don't want to be a target of scams, robberies, kidnappings, or direct racism.
>>
>>1257259

>blend in with the locals

I blend in.
That way, if no one is onto me, I can find out what's really going on.
>>
>>1257259
I'm black, and travel mostly to Asia, Southern Europe, and the Middle East, so no, I don't try to blend in. Though I have been mistaken for a local in the Middle East.
>>
Dress shirt, slacks, leather shoes. Probably just look like someone taking a break from the office.
>>
>>1260928
To add on to what others said, it's also not the most fun to explain where you are from 100 times and especially if you are not from a major city and have to explain "no I don't like in Los Angeles or new york"
>>
I'm a six-foot Arab nigger with dreads. I couldn't even blend in even if I wanted to.
>>
>tfw 2m tall
>going to japan in a month
i guess the worst that can happen is swarms of asians trying to take photos with me
>>
>>1257259
I dress much nicer when I'm traveling because I like to larp as a rich person and it helps to fuck local girls.
>>
File: IMG_1022.jpg (352KB, 770x434px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1022.jpg
352KB, 770x434px
>>1263448
Of you can actually have money like I do and be staying at the Waldorf Astoria Rome Cavalieri.
>>
File: Vidda-Pro.jpg (123KB, 507x800px) Image search: [Google]
Vidda-Pro.jpg
123KB, 507x800px
>>1260679
I'm taking technical clothing for trekking stints. Not the least bit concerned about it. Strong eye contact tends to shut down bullshit before it gets near.
>>
>>1263448
Glad I'm not the only one.

I hit up the night clubs in suits with a pipe sometimes. Never have a bad night with those.
>>
>>1263448
Huh.. thought I was the only one who did that.
>>
>>1257323
I'm with this guy, the words "boots" and "normal" in his image name caught my eye, but that's basically my look.

recently retired military. still wear Oakleys, but aviators not M frames. still wear nomex boots but they just look like work boots. otherwise, plain T shirt and random Levis. backpack is "tactical" insofar as a company I know that makes super tough shit made it, but they specifically made it look normal

/fa/ crossover thread

unlike this guy, I don't fit in because I'm super super mutt (meme aside) but also, I speak "real" Spanish, just horrible rural Spanish that got shit all over by cholo-ism. so, even when I'm trying to blend, there is a degree of "why the fuck does he speak so well, yet so poorly?"
>>
>>1257259
Impossible because I look just like OP's pic even in my hometown when not traveling.
>>
>>1263468
Unless you have elbow patches on a tweed suit jacket your look is a complete failure.
>>
>>1260928
It's cheaper if I don't look like as if I was from Mars. I'm not afraid to look like a tourist, I don't like to look like the next target for a scam, though.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.