[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Digital nomad moving overseas with my partner, also a digital

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: DA9AMwdUAAAXuth.jpg (94KB, 960x564px) Image search: [Google]
DA9AMwdUAAAXuth.jpg
94KB, 960x564px
Digital nomad moving overseas with my partner, also a digital nomad. I want budapest, she wants berlin. Can /trv/ please mediate this dispute? We'll be staying in one spot for at least six months, probably closer to a year.

Cons I have heard:

>Berlin
- Too many expats already, feels like you're just moving to another anodyne 'global' city.
- A lot of self-consciously 'creative' people.
- Expensive.

>Budapest
- Not enough stuff to do.
- A bit far away.
- Strong language barrier.

Where would /trv/ rather live?
>>
>with my partner
whats the point
>>
>>1256021
Because:
>>1254655
>>
>>1255998
There's a shitload of stuff to do in Budapest imo.

I'm not a digital nomad, but it seems to me that minimizing cost of living should take priority, so Budapest is the clear choice.
>>
Can you not do both? Do one then the other?

What pros do you have listed?
>>
>>1256157
This is where it gets more contentious, ie:

>Budapest
- I'm attracted to the fact that it (seems to be anyway) still a little bit different, not really part of the globalised Europe, so it feels like a different place to where I'm coming from. Unlike Berlin which I feel will be filled with Australians.

That said Berlin probably has a more developed theatre, restaurant, arts, film culture, which we're interested in.

I also like the Budapest thermal baths and swimming culture, which represents a homely comfort.

But I would really love to be schooled on either by anyone who knows better.
>>
>>1256031
that is only true if you yourself are a boring useless unattractive individual
>>
File: 1495186177618.jpg (104KB, 677x995px) Image search: [Google]
1495186177618.jpg
104KB, 677x995px
you can't be a "digital nomad" in Europe, especially Western and Central
hope this helps
>>
>>1256431
Of course you can. As long as you take your computer related gig with you, leave your home, and go somewhere else temporarily, you are by definition a digital nomad.
>>
The women are more attractive in Budapest. It'll make your girlfriend take better care of herself to compete. Maybe she'll finally lose all that weight.
>>
>>1256187
Berlin is not the type of place you want to live, like why not an actual beautiful city with culture like somewhere in Bavaria, Tyrol, Alscace, or burgundy.

Way to choose the most boring and lifeless fucking city and a super foreign city.

Had to endure Berlin for a week in June, literally did not stop raining once and everyone looks like they are close to killing themselves

Whatever though you'll find out fast that you wasted the one chance you had to move somewhere actually interesting
>>
>>1256440
Do we think there's any benefit to Budapest then?
>>
>Digital nomad

ugh
>>
File: imbudapestbridge 1600.jpg (418KB, 1600x980px) Image search: [Google]
imbudapestbridge 1600.jpg
418KB, 1600x980px
>>1256187
if you're interested in theatre, restaurants, arts, film culture and bathing, I don't see why wouldn't you go for Budapest

it has a beautiful opera with cheap tickets, a number of theatres host foreign language plays such as Trafó and Átrium, it has jazz clubs with free concerts every week, unique music venues like the A38 (a Ukrainian stone carrier ship transformed into a live music club), ruin clubs and rooftop bars

as for restaurants, you couldn't believe the level of progress the city's culinary culture made in the past 8 years: specialty cafés, vegan restaurants, Michelin star fine dining establishments, market hall food courts, food trucks, microburgeries, soup bars, artisan confectioneries and national fast food chains are popping up in the city constantly

as far as film culture and art go, there's a ton of museums in Budapest, housing both classic and contemporary art, from photography to architecture: the Robert Capa Contemporary Photography Center, the Mai Manó House of Photography, the FUGA Architecture Center, the Ludwig Contemporary Art Museum, the Kunsthalle, the National Museum, the Museum of Applied Arts, the Budapest History Museum in the Buda Castle, so on and so forth
and then there's an ongoing revival in film and cinema culture, what with all the funding going into producing Hungarian movies and people wanting to see films in cinema that they couldn't, so there are a number of art cinemas, various movie (short, feature and documentary) festivals throughout the year, and screenings held during the summer (in outside venues such as a golf course, a downtown rooftop, or a forest)
>>
can we do away with this digital nomad bullshit? can we just say "I'm a remote worker who likes to travel" instead of some pretentious RealTraveler™ term like "digital nomad"
>>
>>1256436
Digital nomads don't make a lot of money
>>
>>1256640
I think I use the term because it's the one people are familiar with. >>1256708 Is right, but because I'm making my Australian wage, it actually goes quite far in Europe. I expect I should be able to live rather comfortably. >>1256633 This all sounds wonderful thank you.
>>
>>1256640
>can we just use 8 words instead of 2?
no
>>
Is this the Aussie cunt who makes youtube vids?
>>
>>1256640
oh you mean a RWWLTT
>>
>>1255998
the culture shock might be quite big in budapest.

i'm kind of rolling my eyes at the 'not enough stuff to do' bit, but to each their own i guess.
like... if you want cons against budapest, then pick corruption, or smelly homeless people next to your bentley, but don't blame it on the 'lack of things to do'.

there are plenty of resources to find theatre or concerts... so just a tiny practical note: cinema city westend/arena/allee always have the blockbusters in english. art movies are always shown with the original language anyway.

don't forget that both berlin and budapest are relatively far from the seaside.

things might have changed in the past few years, but not long ago it was still much cheaper to get fast and reliable cable internet connection in budapest than berlin. also the mobile web in budapest >>> mobile web in most other capitals i've been before. (okay, i do miss seoul's mobile web.)
>>
>>1256436

Speaking as someone who is doing it, it actually makes things like paying taxes and getting residents permits pretty difficult, even if you are from an EU country and therefore "entitled to live and work". Have you checked out what your visa situation would be?
>>
File: 1473793637884.png (744KB, 383x866px) Image search: [Google]
1473793637884.png
744KB, 383x866px
>i'm a digital nomad
>>
>>1257718
I am also "doing it". What visa situation? Cambodia gives me unlimited. South Africa gives me 3 months every time. I guess Thailand would too. Malaysia similar.

Taxes are no issue. If I register as "outside of the EU, no fixed address", I pay no tax. It makes me fall out of health insurance though ("free" and "universal" in my country), which is a problem. Globelink are only valid travel insurance if I am actually a resident in an EU country. What I need is a travel insurance that covers me cheaply, no matter where I am. In the event of a serious accident (knock on wood) I have to register back in my own country of birth for six months, in order to get back into the system.

>>1257766
>attempted meme fail
>>
>>1255998
OP, I haven't been to Berlin in years. It's got a good industrial music scene, but the city is indeed considered most boring and ugly. People who travel all over europe don't prefer Berlin, though many might be in love with Hamburg in relation. Check out the Leipzig Treffen Wave Gotik festival if you want to see just how many support the industrial music scene. You'd be centrally located to many other cities of course.
I haven't been in sooo long so I won't state how uncomfortable the immigration has made housing prices or some of the more enjoyable activities a bit more "better skip it" such as public transport, festivals or say a public pool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRkFEMUDwwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ifbrS2SBU

Where I live in Florida is filled with Germans who never want to go back to live in their country. They say "it's over" and really mean it. To counter that, from a female perspective, in Budapest, there is still a feel of old Europe that hasn't been wiped out with commercialization like say in Prague. It's a bit lawless, but in the gypsy sort of way.
I was felt up by a japanese frottage tourist with a camera in the large pool at Szechenyi baths. Not once did I see an employee in the baths, from the front door to the dungeonlike dressing rooms to even a lifeguard. No one manned the towel stations. No one. But, it's like going back in time from say prewar Vienna, with glorious coffeehouses. It's really stunning. The people are far nicer than in Germany. There's a cool wine festival in Sept in Buda Castle.
https://www.budapestbylocals.com/event/budapest-wine-festival/
You're only a 2hr train away from Vienna, so not like you're not that far from Europe.
>>
>>1257792
oh no, the digital nomad didn't like my meme :'(

you and your girlfriend sound like terribly bland people
>>
>>1255998
Digital nomads are cancer i hope all you cunts get gassed
>>
>>1257792
Evading tax is a bad idea that you should check out very, very carefully by speaking to an expert, not just "Google, CPA". Check what your home country's definition of non-resident for tax purposes is, because when you come back home and you do file a tax return again, the tax office is going to want to know where you have been paying taxes if you haven't been paying them at home.

You mention South Africa, and I can definitely recommend the Western Cape; IT infrastructure is good here, at least in the wealthier parts around Cape Town. Check numbeo to see if cost of living works out for you. The downside is that it's quite isolated and you need a car if you want to do much.
>>
>>1257806
>you and your girlfriend
>I get confused when there are more than 2 anon in the thread

>>1257830
wage-slave detected
>>
>>1257841
>Check what your home country's definition of non-resident for tax purposes

Already did. I would not have mentioned it if hadn't.

> I can definitely recommend the Western Cape;
That's where I am right now. Thanks for the input though. In CBD so don't need a car. 10Mbps in the flat. Found a "green grocer" that does deliveries. Life is good!
>>
>1257792
> Cambodia / South Africa / Thailand / Malaysia

I was talking about the Berlin / Budapest question. I'm a UK citizen married to an Australian living in a Schengen country. To stay more than 3 months and to have a job you need to have the right to remain. To do that I either need to be registered self employed in this country or be working for a local company. Working for a foreign company doesn't count. If I have right to remain so does my spouse but if I don't, spouse needs a work visa which requires a company to sponsor them (expensive and time consuming for them so you'd better be worth it) and to leave the country for ~2 months
>>
>>1257875
>Life is good!
Until the city's water runs out in August.
>>
>>1257803
>so not like you're not that far from Europe
that shade lol

lifeguards aren't dressed noticably different, maybe that was confusing...? staff are all over the place, they just don't really wear their ugly uniforms.
>>
>>1257874
shitty and irregular income off the internet-slave detected
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.