[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traveling with a criminal history

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 27947937493793.png (1MB, 801x859px) Image search: [Google]
27947937493793.png
1MB, 801x859px
So I got convicted for battery (punched a guy once and some of his teeth fell out). I didn't recieve a prison sentence, nor a fine, nor a criminal record. I got community service. But no criminal record, like I said.

So my concern is whether countries are aware of that conviction (does it pop up when they scan your passport) and if they are, will that hinder my travels?
>>
Fucking chill, nobody cares
>>
I was adjudicated guilty of several felonies when I was fifteen years old.

My record won't be sealed until I turn 30.

Between dozens of countries, the only time it has ever come up was when I was trying to cross into Canada - a country which is notoriously stringent with its entry requirements, even for American citizens.

When I was sent to secondary screening, an Immigration and Customs officer printed off the entire charge sheet that had been drawn up against me - which looks very bad - and said, "Holy moly, man."

I explained how old I was and that the offenses took place almost a decade ago. I also told him I was a graduate student and have worked and volunteered extensively. The fact that all that happened when I was a juvenile seemed to work, since he stamped a piece of paper that let me enter the country.

To relate my experience to your situation: I sincerely doubt that your issue will ever come up, especially considering that you're not obligated to answer "yes" to questions about convictions (again, out of dozens of countries, Canada is the only one that ever even asked).

No, your "history" will not show up when your passport is scanned - that'd be preposterous.

Some countries, like Canada, can receive information about U.S. criminal histories quickly upon request, since they have information sharing programs in place with America. Nevertheless, they still have to send off a request for approval and cannot access records just by looking at your passport.
>>
>>1255308
What about the US/Canada/Australia/NZ?
>>
>>1255308

Nobody cares, but I can see where he's coming from.

I made the long post above and was very worried when I first traveling that I might get screwed.

Given, what I did was much worse than OP, but I was also a 15-year old kid.

Sometimes it's hard not to wonder.
>>
>>1255309
>especially considering that you're not obligated to answer "yes" to questions about convictions

So you can leave that area on your visa form blank?
>>
>>1255309
story time?
>>
>>1255309
>When I was sent to secondary screening, an Immigration and Customs officer printed off the entire charge sheet that had been drawn up against me - which looks very bad - and said, "Holy moly, man."
Story time. No worries anon, we're all friends here.
>>
>>1255300
Nigga just don't disclose it wtf haha
>>
>>1255374
They won't find out?
>>
>>1255308
Don't shitpost when you don't know what you're talking about.
Places like Aus and NZ are definitely interested in knowing these things.

It doesn't pop up when they scan your passport, but some countries ask you to declare whether or not you have a criminal history. And it's never a good idea to lie to immigration officials.
However, they take into account how clean your record has been since the conviction, the nature/motive of the crime, and how likely you are to re-offend while in the country.
I'd say you can relax, OP.
>>
>>1255409
Always a good idea to lie.. they never find out + its none of their business.
>>
>>1255511
You need a declaration from your country's police, obviously, you can't just tick "no" and that's it. That being said, if OP says it's not in his record then it's not in his record. It won't matter.
>>
>>1255309
>Canada - a country which is notoriously stringent with its entry requirements, even for American citizens.
I always thought that was weird.

My US-citizen uncle can't come to Canada because of a DUI.

I also remember a few famous rappers being denied entry to Canada. Young Buck from G-Unit comes to mind.
>>
>>1255300
You're a lowlife bag of shit that should be locked up. I hope you try crossing into my country and they fuck your ass red and bleeding in prison.
>>
>>1255546
"We need to build a wall."
>>
>>1255546
Rude. Why do you think they didn't give me a prison sentence or criminal record in the first place? It's because there were obvious circumstances (that person provoked me by stealing from me)

>>1255511
>>1255523
Well if it's not on my record how are they ever going to find out? I mean records are designed for keeping track of one's criminal history
>>
If you don't have a criminal record you are not a criminal.
If they look for something, nothing will show up because, surprise! You aren't a criminal.
Travel free my friend. You have literally nothing to worry about.
>>
>>1255308
This
>>
>>1255377

No, they will not. Unless you are an American citizen travelling to Canada or the other way around, other countries have zero knowledge about your criminal record.

I hold a EU passport and have a criminal record. I have travelled to USA and Japan, both countries which ask if you have committed crimes in the past. Just don't declare it and you are fine.

People who tell you otherwise are talking out of their ass unless they have any hands on experience.
>>
>>1255300
>I didn't recieve a prison sentence, nor a fine, nor a criminal record.

>nor a criminal record

>whether countries are aware of that conviction (does it pop up when they scan your passport)

Are you dense m8.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.