[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone ever been to Burning Man? How was It? Stories welcome.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: the_man_burns.jpg (148KB, 991x651px) Image search: [Google]
the_man_burns.jpg
148KB, 991x651px
Anyone ever been to Burning Man? How was It? Stories welcome.
>>
>>1253589
I've heard it's a place where Silicon Valley X-illionaires pay their asses off and go live their dream of being young and edgy once again and it's been completely ruined since 2010.
>>
>>1253589
>it's been completely ruined since 2010
Why? Is it due to media exposure?
>>
>>1253594
>>1253603
I figured someone was going to start by talking about how ruined it was.

It's typically described as being ruined by the fact that it's much too big, too many rich people fly in and camp in deluxe prefab camps that they pay others to build for them, and too many less-rich people camp out in plush RVs and act just as spectators, not really participating in artsy stuff or giving anything to those around them.

Sometimes people complain that it's gone commercial, but this is in my experience not accurate--still no ads, no corporate branding, nothing officially for sale except coffee and ice (sold by the pseudo-nonprofit that puts the whole shebang on). Tickets are expensive and more money is around, but nobody except for maybe a handful of drug dealers is making money at the festival.

All of these claims save the commercialization are arguably true. It's too big, too many rich assholes do their own thing that is not very communally oriented, and there are always lots of voyeur types who don't participate actively. But these claims are much older than 2010--people have been saying it since I first went in 2003, and probably before that.

I've been twice, both many years ago now, but have a bunch of friends--mostly 40something artists, DJs, and bohemians rather than little rich kids from Silicon Valley--for whom it remains a major part of their lives. Almost all of them still go, and I recommend it at least once.

Alongside the bullshit, there's still a lot of good art made by sincere weirdos, a lot of interesting parties and experiences, and (un)healthy doses of sex and drugs (although it gets more and more full of undercover cops every year, so don't be too incautious with any chemical use) if you dig any of those things. Too many people and too many dance parties for my taste, but that was true even 14 years ago.
>>
>>1253618
It's also a camping trip in really inhospitable conditions, during which normal people are expected to be able to be self sufficient--that means bringing in all your water and food, and trucking out all your waste, including gray water (pretty disgusting experience). If you're not prepared for that, don't go. You can't be guaranteed to get anything you need, including food and water, that you don't bring with you. And hardcore Burning Man people will be hippie-furious at you if you get caught trying to dump your trash rather than taking it home with you.

I learned that it's not really my scene (too much techno), but I liked it and am glad I went. Participate--do an artsy or communitarian thing--and you'll make a better impression and have a better time. And go with friends/find a camp to get involved with for a less grueling/potentially injurious experience.
>>
>>1253618
>I figured someone was going to start by talking about how ruined it was.
I'm not even American and I asked because I was genuinely curious. So thank you, I guess.
>>
What if you're not a very artsy person and don't know of anything to do other than just watching?
>>
>>1253623
I was mostly poking fun at the people who call it ruined. People have always been calling it ruined, and can always defend their position. But there's still a lot about it that's worth checking out.
>>
>>1253624
Cook food and give it away. Open a (free) bar. Anything participatory and non commercial fits with the founding ethos.
>>
>>1253624
This. While reading the long post above I was wondering this. If it gets bigger and bigger every year, it's pretty obvious there are increasingly more people without artsy inclinations. Only a minority has these inclinations, so the disproportion between those who contributes and those who watch increases every year. This is to say it's only normal if people go there to watch.
>>
>>1253625
Ah, alright!
>>
File: bm experience 1.jpg (160KB, 1370x425px) Image search: [Google]
bm experience 1.jpg
160KB, 1370x425px
1/3
>>
File: bm experience 2.jpg (160KB, 1505x350px) Image search: [Google]
bm experience 2.jpg
160KB, 1505x350px
2/3
>>
File: bm experience 3.jpg (114KB, 1710x335px) Image search: [Google]
bm experience 3.jpg
114KB, 1710x335px
3/3
>>
>>1253712
>>1253713
>>1253715
Not a bad simulation there. But it missed out on the part about having sex on drugs while covered in scratchy, uncomfortable alkaline grit.... this can be weird and ouchy the morning after. Oh, and then getting gonorrhea.

>Nevertheless, I still think it's worth doing once.
>>
>>1253618
There are still lots of tits though, right?
>>
>>1253826
Fewer tits than there are dongs, but that's always been true.
>>
>>1253712
>>1253713
>>1253715

This was a great read. I've met several "Burners" through the years. They go every year. Whenever I ask them how the event was they never reply praising it. They always say "It was cool but..." It's always more negative than positive.

Is the $425 entrance fee worth it? Is the waiting in line to enter for three hours in your hot car worth it? And three hours to leave? Is the no toilet nor shower worth it? Is the having sex with a smelly vagina hippie girl with saggy tits (if you even get that lucky) worth it? Are the dust storms worth it? Is the blaring sun and 100F weather worth it? Is the exhaustion worth it?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.