[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greece

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: il_570xN.779986018_4bzf.jpg (123KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.779986018_4bzf.jpg
123KB, 570x570px
Is it a good time to move to Greece? I'm American and young.
>>
No.

Unless you speak Greek, or have some exceptional skill, you won't find work. Even then it is very difficult. Maybe you could get some work in one of the really really touristy destinations on Corfu or Rhodes, but that would only be a few months a year, the pay would be _awful_ and it serving cheap drinks to 18 year old Brits is nobody's idea of fun.

Where/why do you want to move there?
>>
File: mykonos.jpg (255KB, 842x560px) Image search: [Google]
mykonos.jpg
255KB, 842x560px
>>1252511
>Unless you speak Greek
I speak some Greek, but just the basic stuff. I'm confident I can learn the language because it's similar to Spanish which I also speak.
>Maybe you could get some work in one of the really really touristy destinations on Corfu or Rhodes, but that would only be a few months a year, the pay would be awful and it serving cheap drinks to 18 year old Brits is nobody's idea of fun.
That's fine. If I can get any kind of work, it's all okay. I just want to BE there.

>Where/why do you want to move there?
Athens maybe. What do you advise? I want to live there because I love the place and the people and I want to help the country in any way I can.
>>
>>1252524
No, it's terrible.

>>1252524
You seem to know very little about a place you love.
You can't help them. You can't even help yourself right now.

>it's similar to Spanish
Should've stopped reading here.
Mate, just answer me this: are you from California?
>>
>>1252530
>You can't help yourself

Is that a meme on this board? That's something you guys say a lot.

>No, it's terrible.

Why is it? Be helpful instead of a prickly tool.
>>
>>1252537
The economy is in crippling shambles for unimaginable sums of debt. You apparently don't have the capacity to process this.

You didn't reply to me whether or not you're from California.

>Is that a meme on this board? That's something you guys say a lot.

It's not a meme. We have a lot of couch adventurers and people who make shit-tier plans, like cycling from Europe to China (through Afghanistan and Pakistan) without doing a lick of research on their own and then they complain that they get told off. Just like you're doing now.
>>
>>1252524
>it's similar to Spanish
No.
>>
>>1252540
I'm from Oregon. I don't really need to do much research since I have you guys to answer my questions for me. Not much what you will say much though will change my mind but thanks for the advice

>>1252541
Yeah.
>>
>>1252524
>I want to live there because I love the place and the people and I want to help the country in any way I can
Sounds really nice. Go on and make your way Anon, don't listen to these arrogant dicks.
>>
>>1252479
You're 10 years too late. The youth unemployment rate is close to 50%.
>>
>>1252555
He wasn't asking about taking a trip. He's asking about moving. He might as well move to somalia. Greece has worse incomes than many third world countries such as THAILAND.

It sucks there and it's never getting better. Consider that a summary of an economic analysis both of you areEtoo braindead to read.

If you're from anerica burn your passport and never come back. We dont need people as dumb as this.
>>
>>1252567
He's asking about moving exactly because he wants to help the situation, no matter how and with which results. If you really love a place you do everything you can to go there and stay there. OP asked if it's a good time and we answered – it's not a good time but maybe he'll find the way to do it. You don't need to be an asshole.
>>
>>1252479
On the pro side, because of the utter economic shambles that is contemporary Greece, things should be relatively affordable. On the con side, as noted above, there are no jobs. The official unemployment rate is the highest in Europe, at nearly a quarter, but it's even worse for youth, at something like 47%.

Because you mentioned you're young, I assume you have no specialized skills or qualifications. The almost non-existent jobs for which you would be competing are going to go to locals, who while perhaps similarly unqualified, are at least native speakers of Greek.

And none of this takes into account the fact that Greece is, however bad the economy, a member of the EU, at least for now. It is notoriously difficult for Americans to get legal permission to live and work in the EU. Those that do typically come with a job and have specialized skills--it's an oversimplification/exaggeration, but in essence, you have to prove that there is no EU national who can better do your job than you to qualify for a work permit. If you plan to work illegally, you're competing with all sorts of other illegal migrants who will work cheaper and be even easier to exploit than you are. And you're not allowed to stay longer than 90 days without risking deportation and bans from re-entry.

But if you're qualified to do something for which there is demand, go for it. I like Greece too and can see the appeal if not the practicality of living there.
>>
>>1252547
Really though Greek isn't anywhere near as easy as Spanish but you should probably tell what you already know In Greek so I could help you by doing that
>>
File: poverty-in-greece-2-638.jpg (97KB, 638x359px) Image search: [Google]
poverty-in-greece-2-638.jpg
97KB, 638x359px
>>1252479
dude people are eating out of garbage bins there
>>
File: 1491077462266.jpg (47KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1491077462266.jpg
47KB, 500x375px
Any recommendations for good, reasonably priced, and aemi-Authentic Greek food in Athens. No garbage cans.
>>
Greece is a shithole. Athens is probably the worst city in the EU. Everybody with some kind of professional skill has left the country. Every young person is studying abroad with the intention of not coming back.

>>1252524
How would you help? There are no jobs to survive on. You're too young to have any skills. If you arrive now you're probably become homeless.
>>
>>1252479
Literally anywhere is better than the U.S.

I hate this place so much. Literally anybody of any ethnicity/culture who comes here becomes a significantly worse and more selfish, insane, shallow person over time. I hate this culture so much.

Don't know why you want to move to a poor place like Greece, but still, I bet you and the people there are happier than most Americans are. For some reason, here, even when people have money they are miserable fucks,
>>
>>1252588
Sounds like the U.S.
>>
>>1252770
I understand where you're coming from, I want to get out of here too. But Greece is really not a good place to move right now unless you're some kind of digital nomad. They don't even have enough jobs to employ their own people. Why don't you pick someplace like Croatia or Italy or Montenegro if you want the Southern European feel?
>>
>>1252479
Just got back from greece.

No way I'd live there man. I'm a west coast dude too and trust me, the grass looks greener in the other side on this one. Math, Astronomy, Philosophy... its all gone Pete Tong. Dionysus just let Socrates die and it's been downhill ever since. Plato has no chance.
>>
>>1252770
You know when everyone around you is an asshole odds are you're one too. Hope you find what you're looking for.
>>
>>1252570
He can't help. He's an idiot for thinking he is a savior, one person to fix the problms creates by millions, and you're an idiot to think he can

You're both idiots and were just calling out the truth. It doesn't makeEus assholes. It makes you stupid.>>1252770
Not literally anywhere is better than the u.s.

All of s. Am., all of africa, all of the middle east, and greece are oerfect examples of that.
>>
I lived in Greece for 8 years and went to Greek high school.

I know lots of young people in Greece.

The best, smartest and most skilled have moved away, with almost no exceptions.

A small minority who have good connections or a good degree from a greek university have ok jobs. A friend of mine is a recently qualified primary school teacher. She takes home 500 euros a month.

The unskilled or just unlucky are either unemployed or work awful jobs. Another friend of mine works in a bar and makes 3 euros/hour and does 10 hour shifts.

Greek is an extremely difficult language to learn. You'd probably need to live there for at least a year, speaking it every day, before it was at a standard where you'd get hired for any job.

Athens is horrible. Everyone is poor, it's full of smog and generally not very nice.

The islands are obviously amazing. But demand for jobs is way lower than the supply. And the pay is shit. And it's only 4-5 months a year.

I can give you more information but moving to Greece right now as a young person is an awful idea.

You say you know Spanish. Go to Spain. A lot of the things I've written about Greece also apply to Spain, but it will be a lot easier to find a job.
>>
The best way to help Greece/Greeks would be to go there with lots of money and buy some property, start a business or a hotel or some shit and boost the economy that way.

Volunteering isn't really viable. You want to spend thousands on flights, accomodation and living expenses so you can "help" via some agency/charity? Just wire them all of that money instead.
>>
>>1252901
Spain is at 40someting% youth unemployment as well. They've been doing awful recently.
>>
>>1252879
Fuck dude, you must be retarded
>>
>>1252479
Hijacking thread.

How about Cyprus? I have a well-paying job offer there but don't know anything about it. I'm from Poland so the weather will be a welcome change
>>
>>1252950

Cyprus is much more viable than Greece. You say you have a job offer, can you share some specifics, primarily location? Also you should check online if your salary will allow you to live comfortably with the local costs of living.

Having spent about a year in Cyrpus and most of my life in Greece, I can tell you the former is cleaner and functions relatively better. Its economy is miles ahead as well (not hard considering how bad Greece's is) though infrastructure-wise it's still behind. You are probably aware that the island is split and the capital is in a cold war Berlin situation, but most people take it easy and there is not nearly as much tension as you'd expect.

Overall as far as countryside and scenic landscapes go, Greece is much better, but you still get your nice beaches and sunny weather in Cyprus.
>>
>>1253035
He can check cost of living at numbeo (should be in the sticky if it ever changes):
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Cyprus
>the capital is in a cold war Berlin situation
It's nothing like that stressful, you can go back-and-forth and Northern Cyprus is full of retired Brits enjoying their stress-free lives in the sun. That's totally different from Cold War Berlin.
>>
>>1253046
>>1253046

I know it's different, that's why I said there's no real tension, but considering Erdogan's temperament it's always something to keep at the back of your head. It used to be much more strict ~15 years ago, no back and forths allowed. All in all it's a nuisance since it has cut off many routes that would normally connect parts of the city so traffic is rather irrational.

If I had a job offer to leave Greece and work in Cyprus I'd do it in a heartbeat.
>>
>>1253035
> primarily location
Limassol

Salary should be slightly above average. My cost-of-living is above average now, so it gets reflected in the salary in Cyprus. Apartment will be partially paid by the company.

>capital is in a cold war Berlin situation, but most people take it easy and there is not nearly as much tension as you'd expect.

So how easy is it to visit northern part? Is there public transport in northern part? I read that I can just go by foot in Nicosia from S to N.

>>1253047
> If I had a job offer to leave Greece and work in Cyprus I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Why exactly?
>>
>>1253054

You can casually visit North Nicosia, just gotta go through the police checkpoint and show ID/Passport. I'm not sure what the situation is for non-GreekCypriots when it comes to travelling by car though, like if they let you go through with a rent-a-car. The North side is generally behind when it comes to all sorts of infrastructure and apart from a curiosity trip and a visit to their gambling facilities there's not much to do there.

>Why exactly?

Better pay for the most part and, if not fewer taxes, at least the whole taxation system is stable. Also no more capital controls on bank accounts.

Overall I'd say go for it, if you like the subject of said job. Traveling to other places is a precious experience and Cyprus is relatively cosmopolitan so you'll be comfortable.
>>
>>1252479
those feets are disgusting
>>
>>1252479
If you're young then why not? I regret not doing something like that and now I am 30!

I love Greece. Beautiful country. You can probably find a waiter/waitress job in Mykonos or Kamari or something.
>>
File: tenor.gif (3MB, 350x212px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
3MB, 350x212px
>>1252479

Why is no one acknowledging how perfect these feet are? Maybe the best I've ever seen.
>>
>>1252479
not if you want a job. it's beautiful though. go camp on some islands. you'll have a great time. fuck the naysayers. you can probably get a periptero job.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.