[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/NYC/ /New York City/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 295
Thread images: 15

File: image.jpg (77KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 1080x720px
What's it like living in NYC? If you're only middle class is it even worth it?

I visualize living near Central Park and being able to jog there every day. Would I have to be a millionaire to get anywhere near this? Does it get boring?

It feels like a central piece of the world and I'd like to be there. Almost comparable to something like Tokyo except in burgerland
>>
>>1251966
I haven't lived there, but I'm about to move there and I've done some research.

Living in Manhattan (Central Park's borough) takes some serious cash--at least middle or lower Manhattan, that is. I'm moving to start graduate studies so with my tight budget I'm going to Queens. Depending on your income, Manhattan can be very hard to pull off.

>Does it get boring?
Unless you've got crippling social anxiety, your problem in NYC will be distractibility, not getting bored.
>>
>>1251969
>Unless you've got crippling social anxiety
Oh... I guess that's a problem then...
>>
>>1251970
I'm not trying to make light of your anxiety, but what did you think being in a massive city would be like?
>>
>>1251966
I lived there for three years during college, and as soon as I find a job over there I'm moving back. It was absolutely amazing.

A lot of actually living in New York depends entirely on you and the effort you want to put into having a good time. If you're socially awkward or have anxiety, there are plenty of groups that would love to help you out. No matter what your interest is, there's a bunch of people who met up fairly regularly to hang out and do that, even LAN parties happen about once a month.

If you're into running and are interested in finding a place near Central Park my advice would be to search for an apartment in the south side of Harlem, between 105th-120th street and Madison-9th/Morningside avenue. The further up you go from there the cheaper it gets (bottoming out at about 900/month for a meh neighborhood), but walking more that 10 blocks to get to the park doesn't seem worth it IMO.

Middle Class in Manhattan is about 70k before taxes, and even then you'll likely have a roommate. For someone looking to get in on around 50k pre tax, you're probably looking at 1500/month on rent+utilities/food/MetroCard, and that's assuming you do what I did and cook for yourself.
>>
>>1252150 cont.

I rented a room on the border between Harlem and Morningside Heights, on the corner of 117th Street and Manhattan Ave. For 950/Month (pretty damn good deal, most other comparable rooms were around 1100-1200) I had a place that was super close to the subway, had lots of good restaurants nearby, supermarket just down the block, and a really great bar that I frequented. Don't listen to the crap people spew about Harlem being dangerous, the neighborhood is being gentrified to fuck and despite being a little rough around the edges it's a very nice place to live as long.

I managed to get by spending only 1300/month (950 rent, 200 food, 110 MetroCard, 40 misc.), but that was only because my landlady was paying for utilities and I made living simply a priority. Pretty sure the only major things I owned were my clothes, cookware, desk/chair, and PC.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
>>
>>1251970
You know moving to a big city could help your social anxiety? You have to realize you're one in like 3 million and it's better to just blend in than stand out like you would in a smaller city.
>>
>>1252156
Hey man I'm in a similar boat. I want to move to NYC and I know I could get a job that pays like $12/hr to start off which I know it's dogshit by NYC standards but it's still about ~$1500/month. I'm looking at rooms for rent and there's good ones for $800, all other shit is paid by the main person so that leaves me with $700 which I hope is enough for food and going out on the weekends.

Also I'm only 22 and the main reason I want to move there is to have more opportunities so I don't stay at $12/hr for long.

Should I do it?
>>
I live in the East Village now, just north of Houston st.

You will not be able to live within walking distance of central park unless you make 100k+ AND spend too much of your paycheck on housing.

Consider living in either East Village, LES, Chinatown, or north of 90th street. Brooklyn can be good as well. Really only way to do NYC is to live with someone else in a 2-3 br. Expect to spend at least 1300 and have a roommate.

It doesn't get boring, at least if you make it outside regularly. I see more crazy shit just getting to and from work each day than I did years living in D.C.
>>
>>1252217
This is literally a horrible idea. 800/month is not sustainable. You will spend 120/month on the subway, and then if you want to eat out more than 1-2 times a week and go out on the weekend, you're looking at ~250 a month for food and fun. Trust me, it IS that expensive.

Please do not move without a plan other than "hurr durr 12/hr is good enough" because without a real plan, that is what you are doing. Aim for earning 4k/month, getting a roommate or temporary (non-lease) set-up and then scraping by with 1k/month housing costs. This is the only way to start a real life here.
>>
>>1252305
>Spending over 750 if you have roomates
>hurr youll never make it here
Your whole post reeks of ohio transplant living in 4k/month williamsburg loft
>>
>>1252360
Why does everyone in NYC talk about the world as if it's entirely composed of the midwest, LA, and NYC?

And why is "you weren't born here, you moved here from somewhere else" an actual insult? Why does anyone actually take offense at this?

NYC culture has some weird narcissism issues, I don't get it.
>>
I'm very seriously thinking about NYC - I actually have interviews scheduled there next week. I'm a higher-end software engineer that's tired of the west coast tech cities (Seattle/SF), because their culture tends to suck and the dating scene is just pitiful for men.

So, some questions:

> How easy is it to make legit friends relative to other places in the US?

> Is the dating scene really that much better than the west coast for single men?

> Is it pretty easy to find FOB qts of whatever ethnicity you're into? I'm into FOB latinas but can't stand the attitude of the ones that have lived in the US forever.

> What are some outdoor activities that don't suck?

> Are there long-distance bike trails around?

> Is it easy to get to good hiking (i.e. real mountains) via public transit on day trips?

> Is getting to decent skiing possible as a day trip or is that a full-weekend thing?

> How much would a decent 1br, say 600sqft cost on the UWS?

I'd be making a really good income (~300k) so I can afford it, but since I could make a similar income in a much lower CoL city (Seattle), I want to make sure that it's worth the tradeoff.
>>
>>1252305
Yeah that's what I meant, getting a roommate paying ~$800 a month. Of course I know I can't live by myself with a $12/hr job
>>
>>1252150
>>1252156
Alright, I'm back

>>1252217
I'm not gonna lie, that kind of life is really gonna suck. If you're 100% sure that you can move up within ~6 months, and 70% sure you can manage it even earlier then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, consider finding a better job right now and plan to move to NYC in a year or two after you've got a solid buffer of rent/expenses put together.

Barring batshit crazy stuff happening, New York isn't going anywhere. It'd be a real shame if you moved in, had a horrible time of it, and left without experiencing the good life it has to offer.

>>1252364
>Friends
I'd say it's about as easy to make friends in NYC as it is in most of the country. It's only the Northwest and Seattle especially that's just completely fucked on that end.

>Dating
Apparently there are a ton more men on the west coast so the women have it much easier over there. I didn't get around to dating in the city much since I met my GF through college, but it sounds fairly easy.

>FOB qts
I think you might be out of luck. There are FOB asian girls out in Queens and FOB russian/eastern european girls in Brooklyn, but I don't know of any place to find FOB latina qts.

>Regular outdoor shit
Central Park isn't the only bit of green in the city, even if it is the best, so there's plenty of other parks to check out. Pretty sure it's easy enough to find a recreational team of whatever sport you might be into. I'm a fucking slut for ramen, so my GF and I spent our free time together tracking down the best noodles we could find and enjoying the neighborhoods around them.

>Bike trails
Tons of 'em. IIRC, there's one in Fort Washington Park that's especially good because the view of the river/downtown is just amazing.

>Real mountains
This would take a full weekend to do right.

>Apartment
You're looking at ~2200 on the low end. Not sure on the amenities but if you want things like in unit laundry, basement storage, and a doorman, they might not be available at that price.
>>
>>1252426
>I'm a fucking slut for ramen, so my GF and I spent our free time together tracking down the best noodles we could find and enjoying the neighborhoods around them.

Too bad ramen is ass in NYC. I think Ramen Shack is the only place where I've enjoyed my meal and noticed it's what you would normally find in Japan. Everything else is overpriced and way too tryhard.
>>
>>1252360
you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>1252364
>> What are some outdoor activities that don't suck?
>> Is it easy to get to good hiking (i.e. real mountains) via public transit on day trips?

Keep in mind the highest peak on the east coast is 6,800'. And the skiing sucks on the ice coast. You're probably rich enough for weekend trips to Vail though.

There's good ice climbing in the north east. And of course there is the Gunks.
>>
File: CfZnUDG.png (382KB, 940x912px) Image search: [Google]
CfZnUDG.png
382KB, 940x912px
Typical experience.
>>
>>1252156
>950 for a room 3 years ago
Lmao you got played son. I have a room in gentrified brooklyn for 750(all utl included) and i think even that is pushing it. why are yuppies so dumb
>>
>>1252801
t. Retarded yuppie mad that hes overpaying
>>
>>1252426
Qt fob Latinas are everywhere

Upper Manhattan, The Bronx, Southern Brooklyn, Western/Central Queens, North Shore Staten Island
>>
>>1253009
Bushwick and williams burg still have alot of hispanics as well its not 100% yuppie just yet
t. One stop from broadway junction on the J
>>
>>1252996
The cheapest 1 bedrooms apartments other than in Staten Island are 1250 or so, (found in The Bronx) I would much rather live in one of those than be paying the same amount and still have fucking roommates
>>
>>1253011
Not just Bushwick, but Sunset Park, Kensington, parts of Flatbush, Midwood, Bensonhurst
>>
>>1253015
I'm pretty sure Williamsburg is 100% yuppie now except for the projects and the Orthodox Jew enclaves
>>
>>1253016
Flatbush has lots of qt pie island girls
>>
>>1252994
I was living with two friends from high school and paid 150 more for rent than they did for the additional comfort of getting the master bedroom/bathroom. As for living in Harlem, you might surprised to find out that it's actually pretty dope up there. The commute to class ended up being a little shorter, and we were about a 30 second walk from everything we needed at home.
>>
>>1253071
Its like 1000 for a studio in south bronx 10 min walk to harlem by bridge
>>
>>1252305
gets it
>>1252360
is being contrarian

To live in manhattan and split an apartment four ways in a small kitchen can be $3,000 a month easy. If you live in further boroughs it can be less, but it is still crazy fucking expensive.

NYC is a great city to visit but the housing costs are out of control unless you are lucky enough to be grandfathered in to rent control. $2.75 a subway entry sounds cheap until you realize it basically means $5.50 a day or $110 a month assuming you enter the system once and never stop anywhere else. Eating out can be affordable depending on where you go but basic staples are inflated because, hey, New York City! You can't afford to buy a shitbox and park it anywhere for cheap groceries so you're basically fucked on whatever your local bodega charges you.
>>
>>1253104
At the time I had already committed to finding a place with my friends. Thanks for the tip though, I'll keep that in mind for when I move back.
>>
>>1253114
>live in manhattan
Lol theres your problem. If you dont mind a 30 min commute brooklyn and queens have huge rooms and apartments for a fraction the price. But for me, ive stayed in manhattan for 750 a month in the past year but i was lucky
>110 a month for transportation is bad
Lots of people spend more on gas alone lol. Not to mention insurance, payments repairs etc
>cant find cheap food
Aldis, food carts and local ethnic stores dont exist? Face it. Your ignorance is why people dont like flyover transplants. I saw an online post ftom some fatty claiming that 2700 for a 1 bedroom was "cheap" and later complained about "mansplaining" and she was from ohio. lol fucking flyover transplants
>>
>>1253162
My grandma lives in Kensington, BK and there are like 3 supermarkets within walking distance of her apartment

And I agree with you overall, people don't bother to do any research. However, it's not just transplants, it's also natives that overpay.

And yeah, insurance plus gas easily costs more than a monthly metrocard.
>>
>>1253192
Kensington is incredibly based. Your grandmother is smart to stay there. I live in bed stuy/bushwick but if i could find a nice cheap 1 bedroom apt in kensington i would move there in a heartbeat. But im poor and i have a nice deal here with my current landlord
>>
My sister has been living in Brooklyn for like 8 years now. She complains about how hard it is all the time, she's a social worker and spends $700-900 on rent for a bedroom in a 3-bed apt. I ask her if she'd ever leave the city, she says she likes the diversity. I live in a small mountain town on the west coast in my pickup truck. We are baffled by each others' lifestyles.
>>
>>1253196
Yeah it is, it's a great neighborhood. Bushwick is pretty cool too though, I wouldn't mind living there either.

Unfortunately, rents are high throughout the city so you gotta take what you can get
>>
>>1253210
L train bushwick is very hipsterfied but J train bushwick still has a nine authentic feel and its alot cheaper. Not to mention i can easily visit my friends on woodhaven
>>
Does your neighborhood really matter that much when everything is so close by with such good transportation?
>>
>>1253214
True but the hipsters are going to eventually move into every part of Bushwick. Hipsters do bring good things like bars and restaurants, but their presence increases rents to the point where they themselves get priced out and replaced by yuppies.

>>1253217
That's how I feel. I'll live anywhere in NYC if it's near a subway stop and 45 minutes or less from Manhattan
>>
>>1253217
Mildly. In general as long as you're reasonably close to the basics (supermarket, subway, convenience store, laundromat if needed etc.) then you're most likely fine for day to day life. The extras like having a nearby park or having nice local bars/restaurants, or even living near friends/family are important too though.

I didn't compromise on the basics at all, being within walking distance of those just makes life so much easier. The others are just incredibly pleasant to have quick access to, which is what ended up happening for me.
>>
>>1253217
Yeah the fuck it does. Im not spending an hour on the train every time i want to go out. If i move to a neighborhood i want it to be a place worth spending time in. My time matters f.a.m
>>
>>1253200
different strokes, anon
>>
How do Jackson Heights and Woodside stack up as neighborhoods in NYC?
>>
>>1253162
The only Aldi is in Rego Park in a mall.
>>
>>1253232
>My time matters

No it doesn't anon. If it did you could bill clients an appropriate amount to fund your lifestyle instead of jewing out on a cantonese ventriloquist forum

>>1253200
Being homeless isn't a lifestyle choice. At least your sister contributes to society.
>>
>>1253403
Theres a few in the bronx and 1 in east harlem too. Also rego park isnt far for eastern manhattan or any part of queens
>>
>>1252362
because you should move back to your generic midwestern town, thats why
>>
>>1253321
they're horrible, dont go there. try downtown brooklyn
>>
>>1253536
Explain
>>
>>1253418
>Being homeless isn't a lifestyle choice. At least your sister contributes to society.
When you saved up $60k in disposable savings working as an aerospace engineer, it is. Fuck off.
>>
>>1253547
Do you have money
>>
>>1253114
this

I was born and raised in NYC. I'm about to turn 30, and I still live with my fucking parents largely because rent is insanely out of control. Thankfully we've got a rent controlled apartment on the LES of Manhattan, and laws being what they are for that kind of thing I will take over the lease when they retire and move. I mean, no girl will date me but I'm gonna end up with a fantastic place to live.
>>
>>1253321
Don't listen to that other guy, Woodside and Jackson Heights are great neighborhoods. Close to Manhattan, safe, lots of good ethnic food.
>>
>>1253321
>>1253731

Seconded, they're definitely not as lively as the neighborhoods just outside Manhattan, but they're still solid places to live.
>>
Im going to New York with my girlfriend hopefully for 5 or 6 days in novermber, what are some good places to go that are kind of romantic. Also is staying in Manhatten a good idea I can find some good hotels that are only a couple hundred dollars a day. Finally any good resturaunts that are a must visit?
>>
>>1253763
Which isn't even a bad thing, living in or just outside of Manhattan is generally expensive as hell. And not living right in the action is okay if you're just a few subway stops away.
>>
>>1253426
Hell this city needs more. Quite a few supermarkets shut down because of rent.
>>
>>1253731
Thanks for bringing in more gentrifiers to raise the rents fuckface
>>
>>1253952
They would've shown up anyway. If you're actually mad, go to your neighborhood councils and demand that they build more apartments instead of being NIMBY fuck sticks.
>>
>>1253765
Get an AirBnB, it's cheaper
>>
Serious question: Why do people romanticize living in NYC so much? Why do the locals defend it religiously as if it's some sort of hallowed ground?

I get that it's the center of the world for many industries, fashion, arts, and so on. But the way that people talk about it and "dream about moving there someday" seems out of line with what it's like in reality.
>>
>>1251966
>What's it like living in NYC?
I love it, but over the last two decades I've moved three times as I got priced out of neighborhoods I liked. Last move had me buying a place in a not yet fashionable neighborhood I never would have considered a decade ago. My place doubled in value in less than four years.
>If you're only middle class is it even worth it?
It takes about six figures income for a couple to live something that resembles a middle class lifestyle in Manhattan..
>I visualize living near Central Park and being able to jog there every day. Would I have to be a millionaire to get anywhere near this?
You'd need more than just a million to pull that off. A bargain rent in that part of town is well over $5k/month.

Bottom line is I love it here, and would have trouble living anywhere else. My biggest mistake was renting instead of buying as soon as I could. Because all the places I used to live got so high in real estate values that I couldn't afford to live there anymore. I own now, but live in Brooklyn. Fortunately Brooklyn has become every bit as interesting as Manhattan over the last decade. The truth is that if you're "middle class" you can't afford the NYC of your fantasies. But you could afford a place in Brooklyn or Queens. Buy a place, enjoy the city and watch the value of your place go up and up. If you ever get sick of it cash out and move somewhere else. Or go to work on Wall St and live your Manhattan fantasy.
>>
>>1253765
Make a reservation at Beauty and Essex. I've been to restaurants that are pretty good before, but going there was an almost religious experience. Be sure to try their emerald gimlet.
>>
>>1254276
>A bargain rent in that part of town is well over $5k/month
Bait but hopefully this kind of thinking will keep yuppies out
>>
>>1254331
I think it would only be that expensive to live right on Central Park West
>>
>>1252211
This. I feel like I look like a normie but for some reason just seing me tends to either piss off others or cause strangers to laugh and point at me and sneer. I'm never doing anything other than just minding my own business.

I avoid returning to resturants or gas stations once the staff recognizes me, it'd be nice to live in a place where I could just chill and actually feel like all eyes were not on me because millions of other people around me were busy living their own lives, in their own minds.

Small towns are shit, even worse if you have social anxiety. The only benefit to living in my podunk shithole town is cost of living, which is irrelevant since there are no jobs.
>>
Spending a week (wed-tue) in NYC upcoming september. What are good places to go out/clubbin?
I've heard something about the Good Room?

Also;
>How are the strip clubs?

We've only been to strip clubs in Prague and Budapest. Whatcan we expect from US strip clubs? Are they similar?
>>
>>1255660
No, god no. The women will be cold and cunty in the US, and nowhere near as attractive as prague and budapest, there's no comparison. And you won't get your dick touched but you'll pay 10x more in the US.

Skip the strip clubs and go on Tinder. Play up your foreigner status, girls LOVE the accents.
>>
>>1256581
I've been to a strip club in NYC that was relatively inexpensive and the girls were hot and diverse
>>
>>1252364
> How easy is it to make legit friends relative to other places in the US?

You can meet people from every place in the world in NYC. There are friendly people all around you just have to go to fun places.

> Is the dating scene really that much better than the west coast for single men?

Again, there are all kinds of women in the city. I don't know about other places, but I met my girl in ny and she is a keeper

> Is it pretty easy to find FOB qts of whatever ethnicity you're into?

There is literally every ethnicity in the world here. Queens alone has a unique neighborhood for almost every country. Want Latinas? Go to Corona. Asians flushing, Indians ozone park/Jackson heights.

> What are some outdoor activities that don't suck?

There is a place to play every sport, if you are into that. I never have a problem finding a place to play hoops. Biking in the city can be fun. Central Park has a ton of nice places for picnics, etc. There are skateparks and pools of you know where to look. If you aren't into that, Brooklyn and queens have some places good for fishing/boating.

> Are there long-distance bike trails around?

There are but I can't think of them off hand. Long Island can help in that department too.

>mountains?

Not in the city. Take a week or weekend off and visit upstate ny. There are plenty of lakes, mountains and other fun places to visit. Long Island has beaches and some other nice things.

>how much for an apartment?
Can't weigh in on that, sorry.

Ive lived here my whole life and would never want to leave. Come thru
>>
>>1253321
Not the best but not the worst. Parking sucks though
>>
File: tumblr_o24qitktjM1sqqsygo1_1280.gif (2MB, 700x1050px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o24qitktjM1sqqsygo1_1280.gif
2MB, 700x1050px
>>
File: tumblr_mqfepyCUxL1sqqsygo1_500.gif (664KB, 495x350px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mqfepyCUxL1sqqsygo1_500.gif
664KB, 495x350px
>>
>>1256591
pretty much all of the neighborhoods in Queens along the 7 train are very mixed
>>
>>1256592
I would definitely consider them among the best for neighborhoods that aren't retardedly expensive
>>
>>1252150
>Middle Class in Manhattan is about 70k before taxes
I don't really consider living with roommates to be middle class and if you're making 70k pre tax there is no way in hell you're affording 3k/month rent in manhattan unless you're living in a slum
>>
>>1255660
Went to a strip club and some decently hot hispanic stripper offered to fuck for 350 dollars
>>
I'm a (mechanical) engineer. Interested in moving to NYC. Specifically want to live in Manhattan. I don't like roommates and will pay the premium to avoid them. I've visited NYC a few times and do not like Brooklyn and would rather live in Chicago than BK.

Suggestions on nice neighborhoods? Hope to make a little bit over 100k
>>
>>1256607
Max rent you can pay with that wage is 1750, you can probably get your own place uptown with that...for now at least
>>1256610
What do you not like about Brooklyn?
>>
>>1256618
>What do you not like about Brooklyn?
I hung out in Williamsburg and found the vibe too flat for my tastes. Essentially it felt like a gentrified area without the things I like about gentrification, mainly highly attractive women and cool aesthetics
>>
>>1256620
there's way more to Brooklyn than just that

And really? I think Brooklyn in general has cool aesthetics
>>
>>1256622
I'm away. I spent time in neighborhoods like Bensonhurst/Bay Ridge as well as Bed Stuy. These places are INTERESTING to visit, but I would not consider moving there
>>
>>1256618
>for now at least
are rents dropping off in NYC or something?
>>
>>1256624
I don't believe so, they've been going up consistently
>>
>>1256620
Williamsburg a shit and your opinions a shit. Gentrification means all the qt immigrant girls move out and the aestetic is ruined. The actual advantage of gentrification is that the neighborhoods become safer and food quality goes up
>>
>>1256839
That's not true exactly. Immigrants haven't really been pushed out of any neighborhoods yet, and the food in immigrant heavy neighborhoods is usually good.
>>
>>1253321
I lived in Jackson Heights right now, it's pretty good. Kinda gentrifying though.

White ppl get out
>>
>>1256585
What's the name of this club?
>>
>>1256839
also there's the stigma of being a poorfag who can't afford Manhattan when you're a grown ass man living in brooklyn

Brooklyn is for girls
>>
>>1257151
Most people dont think like this dont be a child anon
>yuppie ""masculinity""
>>
>>1257338
nyc women do
>>
>>1257347
Shallow women that want you for your money do***
>>
>>1257151
What? That's total bullshit. Brooklyn is considered the more happening borough these days, and nobody gives a fuck where you live unless they're a clueless yuppie.

>>1257016
Show Palace. It's in Long Island City, Queens.

The one downside of this place is that they don't serve alcohol, since the strippers get fully nude sometimes. So you might want to load up before you go or maybe drink afterward instead.

But the strippers are hot and come in various ethnic backgrounds, and they'll give you a dance for $10.
>>
>>1253200
>she's a social worker

god save her soul
>>
>>1257347
>confirmed robot

Whatever helps you sleep at night anon.
>>
>>1257151
Why would you even want to live in manhattan these days? Theres nothing there but tourists and chain restuarants. the only advantage is that you have easy access to both brooklyn and queens
>>
>>1257542
That's not true at all. I agree that Manhattan is not the end all, but there a million non chain restaurants and many areas not too touristy.
>>
You can get into "luxury" Manhattan buildings for 1500-1700 a month. Luxury meaning doorman, roof deck, laundry, and gym. However you'll most likely have to build a temporary wall.

I'm moving into a 1 br in Fidi with three buddies in July and I'll be paying $1300. The catch is I'm living in the (relatively large) foyer and have to build a wall out of everblocks. Basically, Manhattan below 96th street is for upper middle class and upper class professionals. If you want to live there at a reasonable price you have to make sacrifices
>>
>>1257750
I mean two friends, not 3. 4 people in a one bedroom isnt doable.
>>
Lived in NYC for about 5 months now, here's my take:

I make a bit more than 4k after taxes per months, but that is still not enough to get a place of my own, as I don't want to spend too much of my salary on rent.

I live in midtown, close to everything for about 1300/month in a 3bdr.

I don't want to go to Brooklyn or take the Subway as it's fucking shit. Brooklyn is nice when you work or go to school there, but everything is in Manhattan. I might consider going to queens as it's cheaper than Brooklyn but again the subway is shit.

Having lots of fun here, tinder is nice for me (i'm french), and you can always find girls in bars or such.

the city is too fucking loud though, people honk all the fucking time for no reasons, fire trucks make more noise than planes, there are construction work on a sunday morning ...

goog city but I wouldn't live here long term, 2 years is more than enough.

Weather does not make any fucking sense, goes up and down 10 degrees or more in a few hours.
>>
>>1257913
Yeah midtown is a bland shithole full of wealthy clueless foreigners. On 4k a moneth you could have a 1 bedroom not too far from manhattan and still have money left over
>>
>>1257913
Brooklyn is Manhattan 2.0 now
>>
>>1257913
How many girls have you fucked in New York?
>>
I will never understand the obsession people have with the city. NYC is the most over-hyped place on the planet, second maybe only to London.

>but the 'energy'
>but the 'culture'

It's just a fucking big city, it's really not that special.

t. born in queens
>>
>>1258010
Not him, but it's not as easy as some people say, at least for people like me that live here. Maybe for a tourist it's easy to get a one night stand if you make your intentions clear. It seems to me like most girls are just looking to get wined and dined. Or maybe I'm just shit at talking to girls.
>>
>>1258028
it's just like anywhere else I'm guessing, except with more variety than most places. You most likely won't get laid just by going out, but it happens.

>>1258025

t.contrarian carl
>>
>>1257014
ebin x_Dd

queens was MADE for WHITE COLONISTS
>>
I just left NYC after spending a week interviewing there. Really fell in love with the city after wandering around West Village and Greenwhich Village on a nice day. There's nothing like that elsewhere in the US. Nothing that compares to that level of vibrancy.

Met a cute Thai Au-pair off of Tinder, took her home just as easy as I would have in Thailand. There seems to be endless numbers of easy immigrant girls for the taking, as long as you understand the quirks of their dating culture. So many latinas were excited I could actually speak Spanish well.

And the people seem great. I rarely saw any of the rudeness that I had expected. Maybe because the weather was so nice, but people were generally pretty open and friendly. And interactions felt quite genuine.

Anyway, I failed my interviews there but now I'm looking at other options because I loved the place so much.
>>
>>1258104
A big chunk of queens has always been white though its not like brooklyn that was half black half ((())) for half a century
>>
>>1258220
A lot of blacks there are West Indians,Haitians or Guyanans. There is a cricket patch in Baisley Park.
>>
>>1258244
Speaking of west indians, is anybody here going to the guyanese independence parade this week?
>>
>>1258010

4 so far. I'm always seeing new ones, kissed an another yesterday, i'm hopefull i can conclude.

>>1257993
Especially Williamsburg and the areas close to Manhattan.

And for the other anon saying go to Queens, i don't want to spend much on rent, as i want to travel a lot in the country here so i need money.
>>
>>1258025
Try living out in the sticks like a poorfag. The quality of life is so bad you might as well move to Iraq/Afghanistan/Best Korea. At least over there you're practically guaranteed to die before the pain of living is too horrible.

People say things like 'energy' and shit but at the end of the day it just comes down to the fact that big cities like NYC, London, Tokyo, etc. are incredibly comfy, which is really the only thing people look for.
>>
>>1258220
b-but that doesn't fit m-muh narrative!
>>
>>1258135
Glad you enjoy the city, anon. It certainly is very vibrant.

>>1258220
Both boroughs have had both white and black people for a while
>>
>>1258273
In Queens, you can get a 1BR in a convenient neighborhood for only a little more than what you're paying now to share an apartment.
>>
>>1251966
NYC could turn into a personal hell if you don't have the cash flow to support a certain minimum lifestyle. The reason why so many poor blacks, Puerto Ricans, and Asians can continue living there is because of rent controlled housing. Without rent control you're looking at crazy rent prices. You will spend greater than 50% of your monthly paycheck on rent and eat low quality food while constantly seeing people who literally do nothing except trust funds or rich setups living the life. Trust me this will suck.

Better to get your career going in a tier 2 or 3 city while building skillset, promotion, and cash before making the move to NYC.

My $0.02
>>
>>1254234
It's not for everyone, but if you thrive in a fast-paced energetic community there is no where else on earth that would be a better place for you to live. I moved here for college originally and now live here and I can say I've never been to a city I'd like to live in more. I've found that when I travel to other "world-class" cities like LA or Chicago, people on the street are too laid-back and walk way too slow. Everyone in NYC that isn't a tourist or filthy rich walks with purpose.
>>
>>1260223
the subsidized housing is probably the reason market rate rents are so high
>>
Going to NYC trip alone in about 4 months and I'll be staying for 5 days. I don't have any idea what I'm doing. Someone help
>>
Feels real good to own 2 properties and charge whitey overpriced rent lel
>>
If you want to live on the rock, you'll need to have some serious dough.

Better to live a 10 minute bus ride or subway ride in Jersey or Brooklyn or something. I stayed in Union City. It's Hispanic and cheap, but safe and friendly.
>>
I moved to the city (I was born in brooklyn and lived there until I was 7, the my family moved an hour away to the suburbs) for graduate school. I get a 25k/year stipend. I live in a decent studio apartment that belongs to the university and I pay 1,480 a month. It's in East Harlem which is not a great neighborhood but its not nearly bad enough for me to move out. I do spend like 75% of my income on rent and bills and the rest on food. I'm not saving any money but the stipend is enough that I have a roughly even cash flow, but only because my parents pay my cell phone bill. I'm going somewhere else when I graduate because the rent is too high to sustain this forever, and I refuse to have roommates because not having my own space is basically why I was near suicidal through the first year of college before I got my own room.
>>
>>1260499
The Rock is also a nickname for Staten Island and that's the least expensive borough
>>
>>1260512
Max detected
>>
>>1252994
How did you find it?
Apartments.com says no such places are available so I must assume you stole it from a squatting hobo.
>>
>>1260719
>apartments.com is the bible
Lol??? also 750 is on the higher end for a room in new york IMHO
>>
>>1260723
Wowzers
>>
>>1260711

shhhhhh
>>
I have an opportunity over the summer for an internship NYC living in mid-Manhatten. I haven't left the west coast my entire life, what should I do there for the 3 months I'm there? I'm 20 so bars are out of the question.
>>
>>1261149
get a good fake ID or something

but aside from that you should go on tinder, check out cool restaurants, go to concerts, go to 18+ clubs, etc.

Also just walking around exploring the city can be fun
>>
>>1261173
What are some good clubs in NYC where I can get trich crazy and get drunk and get drunk and get crazy and wild
>>
>>1261175
Times square with the other tourists. Por favor
>>
>>1260223
Agreed. Gonna spend a couple years in Detroit then move to NYC
>>
New York has so many hot Latina and Asian girls
>>
>>1260223
What exactly is "rent control" can I ask the city government to add this to a building I want to move into before I get there?
>>
File: DSCN0213.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0213.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>1251966
So, I lived there for a bit (2 yrs for TX- went broke)

>If you're only middle class is it even worth it? Middle class is probably not what you're making, if you have a job w/ wage compared against living my apologies. Otherwise life there is the hustle, if you don't have it you probably will get a drinking problem. The people are great- making a living like you.

>I visualize living near Central Park and being able to jog there every day. Would I have to be a millionaire to get anywhere near this? Does it get boring?
Probably not going to last long, if you live in BK that's a train during rush hour- and don't forget about the suicides (acct for 1 a week, ie late to work)

>It feels like a central piece of the world and I'd like to be there. Almost comparable to something like Tokyo except in burgerland.
It's great, like nothing I've experienced in the US (lived most major cities), but its hard. I made more money, made more friends than I can imagine. I used to walk to the store and ppl would say hey and knew me, I would pass art project coffins going God knows where... But all I did was work- I had 2 jobs, I didn't need the money- I dont know why... Hard to put in words.
>>
I'm an EU-citizen travelling from Munich airport to NYC in the first week of September with a stop in Atlanta that is slightly less than 2 hours long.

I've neither travelled to the US internationally, nor domestically within it.

I'm now wondering whether these >2h are enough time to make it to the gate at Atlanta International Airport, considering customs, security, the time of the year and so on while arriving from abroad.

Can someone with a bit more experience give me some advice on this?
>>
>>1262997
That is probably enough time. Sorry can't be more helpful. As long as you don't get detained or some shit at the airport lel
>>
>>1262997
The layover will move really quick- once your there- you'll be cordoned off to the next terminal w/ enough time to grab lunch and be back @ the gate- that was my experience.
>>
File: DSCN0357.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0357.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>1262936
You get grandfathered in the longer you have the property. I had a great experience where I rented a HUGE 2 bedroom in Midwood for $860- unbelievable when I think back on it- and this was 2015- I knew family friends though.
>>
>>1262936
>>1263048

Sorry, you cant ask for it- you either get lucky and know someone w/ property their renting w/ a lesser amount to the neighbors or not.
>>
>>1262980
This is true. Unless you live with familiy you will end up a wageslave in NYC
>>
>>1263103
Some will rent, but yep...
>>
>>1263021
>As long as you don't get detained or some shit at the airport lel

Last week I actually had to send an unreturned I-94W form by mail with credit card activity proving that I left the country and that I didn't overstay my visa waiver period.

I had a quick stop in the US over the land border last year without ESTA and the Canadian border guard didn't take out the form of my passport when I returned to back to Canada from the US.

I hope that this won't cause any issue.
>>
What kind of $ do you have to make to live in the village? Wouldn't mind having roommates, but when I last visited that was easily my favorite part of NYC. Really fell in love with the neighborhood but I know it's super expensive.
>>
>>1263310
it's extremely expensive, you would have to make 6 figures to live there comfortably I would say.

You should check out the East Village and LES, they're expensive too but less so.
>>
>>1261149
I'm the guy who replied the first time

I went to Webster Hall for the first time in a while last night and it was pretty fun, I would recommend it, at least on a Saturday

It's a little expensive but a good experience I would say
>>
>>1263372
(bunk) cabins at The Jane are affordable by Manhattan standards. If you are ok sleeping Harry Potter style.
>>
>>1252211
Interestingly I had the opposite experience. I'm a lot more relaxed after growing up in a big city and moving to a small town. Although I still love the big city, my main issue is there's no fucking privacy when there's a person every 10 meters in every direction and alleyway.
>>
I booked a place on the Jersey side near Holland tunnel because it was way cheaper than anything on the Island and I don't want to share a bathroom with six floors.

Bad idea?
>>
>>1252305
>he fell for the "moving to a trendy neighborhood with all the other fresh off the plane Ivy League yuppies" meme instead of being neighbors with Vinny from Queens
>>
>>1251966

born and raised in NYC, I lived in Brooklyn, Manhattan and the Bronx. I currently just bought a co-op in the bronx and I would stay away from Brooklyn and south Bronx. The area I am in is becoming gentrified and is only a 35 minute train ride to downtown NYC.

If you move to NYC I say do not try to live in Manhattan. I live close enough that I can shoot downtown at any given notice.

I think Its impossible to get bored here. There is too much to do and to many different crowds.

Starbucks are good indicators that you are in a safe neighborhood
>>
>>1263960
Why stay away from Brooklyn? That's probably the most happening borough these days
>>
1) live on Staten Island's north shore
2) use the ferry to commute
3) ???
4) I wouldn't call that PROFIT!!!! but chacun son goût
>>
>>1258028
Exactly, and theres enough people and places to act like a tourist every weekend and fuxk someone different
>>
>>1260314
>choosing where to live based on how people walk

Someday you'll realize how stupid you are, but that day is not today
>>
>>1264525
>live on staten island
>>
>>1264954
the North Shore seems good
>>
File: confederate national flag.png (97KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
confederate national flag.png
97KB, 2000x1333px
>>1264954
>leave Dixie
>>
>>1264525
>>1264954
>>1264969
staten island is objectively shit
>>
>>1252364
Please don't move here you fucking asshole.
>>
>>1254234
From someone from there having traveled a lot, a lot of cities wherever you go don't feel too different from anyplace else. NYC is different, it feels like an actual place. There are other cities like that, D.C. and Paris come to mind, and maybe my robust defense and love for NY comes from being from here, but I don't think it's just that.
>>
>>1257913
>I don't want to go to Brooklyn or take the Subway as it's fucking shit

Smelly, dumb
Yuppie scum

>(i'm french
Never mind, I like you. I have French citizenship and I don't mind when French people are snooty, it's what's kept the country great for so long.
>>
>>1265851
it is definitely a unique city, it is the only city in the US where the majority of people use public transportation if I'm not mistaken

Also, it's by far the densest city in the country
>>
>>1263919
Nobody will ever respect you. Even though it was a sound financial decision, people will ridicule you fiercely and relentlessly. We absolutely hate people who commute from Jersey.
>>
>>1252362

>And why is "you weren't born here, you moved here from somewhere else" an actual insult? Why does anyone actually take offense at this?

Because cancerous trust-fund Midwestern hipsters have ruined NYC. I grew up here and cant wait to get the fuck out. Good luck to you all that want to live here.
>>
I'm about to pay $1300 to live in a "luxury" building (gym, bball court, roofdeck, doorman, lounge). The catch is that I'll have to use a curtain/divider for a wall. Am I a retard or is this common for the average 22 year old in Manhattan?
>>
>>1266412
The former of course. i once payed 550 for a room with only a curtain, tldr i only lasted a month and almost went insane. But paying fucking 1300 and having no privacy? Thats just fucking sad i wouldnt wish that on anybody. You knoq you could get a 2bed in jersey or the outer bouroughs for that price, right?
>>
>>1266427
I wanted to live with friends and be closer to work. I'm living in a house in bay ridge right now for 700 a month and I despise it, the commute especially. My friends are going to make 85k and live in Manhattan so I jist figured i'd go with them.
>>
>>1266427

>1300 for a 2 bedroom

yeah, maybe in Brownsville. Any decent area within the outer boroughs can easily go over 2k for a 2 bed
>>
>>1266379
butthurt Staten Island guido detected

>>1266412
that's a 2600 dollar 1 bedroom you're living in, sounds like you're a retard.
>>
>>1266432
1 bedrooms in Brownsville start at 1300

I don't know how the fuck the locals pay it, I'm guessing most of the poor people there have some sort of rent assistance
>>
>>1260403
Yo are you me? I leaving towards the end of September. Thinking of getting a hostel in the East Side to play it safe but I'm not opposed to staying elsewhere.
>>
Can anyone suggest a hostel to stay at in NYC? This will be my first time on the east coast and first time using a hostel.
>>
>>1253418
I have too many social worker friends from college and they all make shit money its hilarious. the only thing they contribute to society is taking up oxygen and financial aid cause no stable income.
>>
>>1251970
I moved to NYC a couple of years ago. Now being an immigrant with autistic social problems I didn't get out much at first. But you'll soon get over it and actually like being here. Meeting all sorts of weird ass people

Also if you're in Queens make sure to have a cup of coffee in Gantry park in the morning. Best feeling in the world
>>
File: 051.jpg (37KB, 450x429px) Image search: [Google]
051.jpg
37KB, 450x429px
i have a 12h layover in jfk on my way to paris. 6am to 6pm early fall.

what's some nice stuff i can expect to do or see in the city?
>>
>>1267963
go to the World Trade Center observatory then hang out in Central Park until it's time to go back to the airport.
>>
>>1266655
stay in an AirBNB. Same price for your own room.
>>
Spoilers: L dies
>>
I want to do the vault tour at the Fed NY.

Is it worth it?
>>
I live in Astoria and make just under $50k. I've only ever lived in downstate NY, so I have no idea what "cheap" is but I live incredibly comfortably and save money every month.
>>
>>1268640
Adding onto this, I don't know why everyone pretends that Manhattan is some gated community that only the ultra-rich can live in. Alphabet City/East Village, Stuy Town, Harlem, East Harlem, Washington Heights are all affordable with an ~$50k salary with roommates. No shit, only ultra-rich people can live in the UWS or the Village. That's not all of Manhattan though.
>>
>>1251970
>>1252211
suicide rates are very low in NYC
>>
>>1258135
i've noticed from my time there people only really rude to you if you're getting in the way
>>
>>1268643
Those neighborhoods are mostly expensive if you don't have roommates
>>
>>1268721
There's no area anywhere in the city where you can live without roommates on that salary. That applies to most major cities.
>>
>>1268755
Not really, that salary can get your own 1 bedroom in most other US cities except for San Francisco and maybe LA. Actually, you might even be able to make that work in NYC if you buy a lower end co-op or something.
>>
I'm going to NYC on the 21st of July. Gonna stay there for 3 days and i've never been to America before. Anyone got some 'must sees' in NYC?
Or preferably know a good hostel from experience?
>>
File: IMG_2460.jpg (3MB, 1916x2402px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2460.jpg
3MB, 1916x2402px
>>1269269
Come check out the startup I work at, it's near the Empire State Building. Cool place.
>>
The idea of staying in a hostel sounds terrible, I feel very privileged and fortunate that I've never had to consider that as an option
>>
>>1269586
Go back to reddiit you beta rich fuck
>>
>>1268755

I make 25k and I live in east harlem without roomates. Although my parents pay my cell phone.
>>
New York City?

I would Love to Physically show You my ass to tell you You what its like but the 98% Jew Manhatten would shoot me in the place that is dark at night and riddled with crime.

I tried to tell the police about it this one time and Vodka You know?! I learned everything I Never needed to know.

No but Seriously, New York City is litarally what I see every morning when I wake up, PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF if You express any kind of pride other than Hispanic gay jew or black. Most people who want to drive are retarded visitors like You who think 25$ is fair to use a few bridges bar the 11$ bridge into long island (while the rest of us use the south parts that connect the other United faggots for free and usually come back for free via Jersey city, its fair because its If You actually go out of Your way to ACTUALLY CHECK, I fucking Shit You not, the HIGHWAY TOLLS IN AND OUT of NYC are is PRIVATLY OWNED! Its a Fucking Private Buisness, You know welcome to NYC!

Why dont you come on over, maybe somebody will show You the filthy Ocean or, if You are really lucky Maybe You can pay 15$ to have a taste of the big apple with some friends.

(I hate NYC, its not even noon and Im wasted).
>>
File: 1497185976540.jpg (1MB, 1197x904px) Image search: [Google]
1497185976540.jpg
1MB, 1197x904px
Anyone have advice on good places to sleep on the street that won't get me murdered?

I know central park doesn't allow camping. The subways might work but the larger ones would have security.
>>
>>1269722
this is one of the most incoherent posts on this site don't fucking daydrink
>>1269873
prospect parks vigilant with security too, try the subway - it has a roof

I've lived in brooklyn all my life and I wouldn't recommend it, overpriced (which is only going to get worse with all the rich hipster fucks moving in), disheveled and crowded with shit service anywhere you go. If you like the area for jobs I would recommend living around Jersey City, it's much cheaper and nicer out there - I used to work there. Good luck affording it though...
If you just want to visit eat at l and b spumoni gardens and it's nice to hang out in the village and bike on the west side highway - some of the best views in the city.
>>
>>1269873
The subways definitely allow sleeping, especially during the winter. Not sure if it helps to look homeless.
>>
>>1269722
This is a bunch of stupid bullshit
>>
>>1269704
I'm not from reddit or rich. I just wouldn't bother going on vacation if it meant I had to sleep in a dorm
>>
>>1270034
Youre a massive plebes that can't into travel. You have to go back.
>>
File: 1453858423773.jpg (3MB, 1920x1096px) Image search: [Google]
1453858423773.jpg
3MB, 1920x1096px
Is taking a Greyhound bus from Hempstead to New York cheap and easy?
>>
How much should you aim to earn in order to live alone in a studio or 1BR in Queens?
>>
>>1270471
Depends on how good you are with money and budgeting and how far your willing to move. There's 2 bedrooms for 1300 in ozone park. Not the best area but not terrible either. Now it you wanna live in astoria you'll need to be a trust-fundie
>>
>>1270456
Doesn't the LIRR go out there? Why would you put yourself through the greyhound?
>>
>>1270146
You're a tryhard. I'd much, much rather stay in a hotel, it doesn't even have to be a nice one.
>>1270486
I would be surprised if there were even 1 bedrooms for 1300 in Ozone Park.
>>
>>1270504
>youre a tryhard if you don't waste money on all inclusive resorts
Ok Greg. Go back to whatever boomer site you came from.
>>
>>1251966
Its a fucking shithole and I regret spending 2 days in there. Never ever going back.
New Jersey is also a fucking third world country, and that's putting it lightly. Its as dirty as some places in India.
By far the worst place I've traveled to. Made me glad and borderline patriotic to be living in Europe.
>>
I'm considering moving to NYC, how difficult is it for a software engineer with ~2 years of experience to find a job? There seems like quite a few opportunities but I've never gotten a solid answer to this.
>>
>>1271082
No, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a hotel, I go for the cheapest motels. It doesn't need to be fancy at all, I just want privacy.

>>1271086
I doubt you've even been to New York
>>
Any expats in the us ? Not particularly NY but any major city.

I'm doing design for games and It. I did Europe and Asia and I'm at about $60-70k yearly at a senior level after seven years. It's much less compare to American salary levels of course but just for an idea where I am career wise.

What are of chances of finding work and getting a green card ? Any cities that are more welcoming ? im white, if that matters.
>>
Go to far rockaway if you're coming from jfk and try some Jamaican soul food. You'll thank me later
>>
>>1272262
what is Jamaican soul food?

If you mean Jamaican food, you can get that in literally any black neighborhood in NYC.
>>
>>1264692
Not that guy, but you're retarded. It's not about how fast people walk, it's what it implies about the society.
>>
>>1251969
My friend lives in Queens. It looks amazing. Manhattan is an over rated, over-priced mall unless you're a millionaire
>>
My current job just informed me I can work remotely if I want. I live in CT and make 35k a year.

I will have roughly 15k in savings. Can I realistically get a one bedroom in Brooklyn or queens or should I look for something with roommates? I don't know anyone else who would want to move to New York. My other idea would be to go to Chicago because it is cheaper, tho it would be nice being closer to home.

I mean, I love the city but whenever I go to visit I always am shocked by the prices of everything. I live frugally in my current home but I'm still a little apprehensive.

I suppose I would be saving a decent amount by not having a car though. Plus I would strategically pregame before bars. A part of me feels like New York is a money trap and it wouldn't be worth it, even tho an equal part of me also thinks that the city is dank as fuck and I'd have a blast. Any anons who were in similar predicaments that went through with it and regret it? That don't?
>>
>all these people saying that they want to live alone
Why? Living with friends is literally so nice and it saves a lot of money. I have a large 3br to myself all summer while my friends are traveling and I can't wait to not live alone anymore.
>>
File: xvYrFVv.jpg (96KB, 944x712px) Image search: [Google]
xvYrFVv.jpg
96KB, 944x712px
>>1272478

Where do you think you are?
>>
>>1272334
Manhattan has many different neighborhoods, the super rich parts are boring to me but I still like the LES, East Village, and everything North of Central Park

>>1272478
I thought it was a common notion that sometimes you can't live with your friends no matter how much you love them
>>
>>1272478
also, living with a roommate often implies a stranger.

>>1272473
At 35k you'll need roommates even in the outerboroughs. 50k-ish and up you'll have options for your own place.
>>
>>1272295
lol this
>>
How dangerous or bad is the subway? I'll be visiting NYC for slightly over a week, staying in Upper Manhattan...is it generally a better idea to uber everywhere I can't walk to?
>>
>>1273007
Its not dangerous. I have a transfer in east new York every night and nothing has happened to me i think you'll be fine in manhattan
>>
File: 1499503423633.jpg (67KB, 441x705px) Image search: [Google]
1499503423633.jpg
67KB, 441x705px
>>1272478
Do you also eat shit for breakfast? Because you have really fucking shitty taste. Holy fuck. Actually preferring roommates? Gimme your head so I can take a baseball bat to it ok
>mfw
>>
>>1272520
>At 35k you'll need roommates even in the outerboroughs. 50k-ish and up you'll have options for your own
place.

At both of those salaries, you'll be homeless.
>>
>>1273007
you'll be fine

>>1273060
Not true. At around 50k or maybe a little more, you would make enough for the cheapest studios and 1 bedrooms per the 40x rule.
>>
>>1272473
you'd have to live in a ghetto or with roommates
>>
>>1273545
Depends on what you consider a "ghetto".
>trust fund morons thinking anything outside their tribeca lofts area is ghetto
>>
>>1266111
It's just for a week, though :(
>>
How many of you have gone to the Bronx and how bad/good was your experience?
>>
>>1271308
don't move to seattle whatever you do
>>
>>1273659
Nothing to see if you're a tourist. And I wouldn't reccomend moving their unless you know some people
>>
I live in westchester and am planning on visiting manhattan this weekend (as it's only a short train ride from new rochelle). I've been a few times and am looking for some new places to go. Stores, restaurants whatever. I mainly hit up the music stores (academy records, turntable labs, bleecker st. Records). I'm also sorta into vidya and weebshit. Y'all recommend anything?
>>
>>1273626
where the fuck else are you going to find an apartment for one person for less than $1000
>>
>>1273717
kinokuniya in bryant park is the local weeb HQ

check out Book Off on 45th Street too

there's some place in the city where you can buy imported figurines and stuff like that but i forget what its called
>>
>>1273659
I've been there a million times and never had an issue.

Most of the borough in my opinion is fine enough to be in unless you're a racist pussy. In many neighborhoods, I wouldn't walk on any deserted side blocks late at night but aside from that it's not that bad.

Also, the borough is huge (big enough population to be a major city) and the neighborhoods vary.

Kingsbridge is a neighborhood I like, because it still feels like The Bronx, but is relatively safe.
>>
>>1273720
You cannot find a 1 bedroom apartment even in the ghetto for less than 1200. Look at how much apartments in the South Bronx are going for now.

Keep in mind that in most of the US, you can find apartments in the hood and often the non hood for like $500. Even in Philly the average 1 bedroom is less than $1000.

NYC is super expensive as far as housing costs go, but aside from that it's not expensive.
>>
>>1273713
Not true.

1.Yankee Stadium
2.Bronx Zoo
3.Botannical Garden
4.Wave Hill
5.Arthur Ave
6.Really good authentic Mexican food in Mott Haven
7.Walking around and seeing all the Puerto Rican and Dominican booty
>>
>>1251966

Life long New Yorker here, I make 95k a year and pay almost 30-35k in taxes thus cannot/would not live in Manhattan or anywhere nice in Brooklyn (Park Slope, Williamsburg, Red Hook, Bensonhurst etc) becuase I would be living paycheck to paycheck. I live in a family friends apartment in Staten Island for $850 a month while I get my student loans and shit in order.

This place isn't the fantasy land you think it is unless you are wealthy. Otherwise you're going to be living in a 1-2 room studio for $2000 a month and living paycheck to paycheck. Oh and you're going to have roaches. Also you're not going to leave New York either unless you have a car. Also if you have a car good luck finding parking near your building, and juggling alternate side rules so you don't end up with a $150 parking ticket.

3 groups of people live in Manhattan, Ultra Rich, Minorities in free or rent controlled buildings, or hipsters who are more or less broke. The smart money people, who arent ultra rich move to Long Island, Staten Island or New Jersey becuase for $2000 a month you'll have a mortgage on a decent house.
>>
>>1251970
being around a lot of people constantly can actually help your social anxiety anon
>>
File: 1492553454804.jpg (172KB, 1920x1153px) Image search: [Google]
1492553454804.jpg
172KB, 1920x1153px
>>1273981

>Bensonhurst
>nice

don't get me wrong i grew up partly in bensonhoist and always hold it dear to me, but its not exactly a luxurious area. working class is a good word for it.

I live in Bay Ridge, which is one of the least gentrified areas in brooklyn (before you all jump on me, yes i'm sure the hipster corruption that's spreading south from park slope will eventually swallow us whole). My family has a top floor of a limestone (its a brownstone...but made with limestone) for $1700 a month. 2br. Pretty comfy. Bay Ridge is known in part for its fuck huge mansions the closer you get to Shore road (the water), so its an interesting dichotomy of working class and rich investment bankers cruising down 3rd avenue in red ferraris. Not the most exciting area, but its strangely comfy and easy living. It has great views of the verranzano bridge and the water.

pic related, its the volcano in staten island.
>>
>>1273981
You can find studios for wayyy under 2000
>>
>>1273981
Why wouldnt you leave NYC without a car? There are two airports, trains, and a fuckton of buses
>>
>>1273881
>Walking around and seeing all the Puerto Rican and Dominican booty
You're dumb. Most young girls are in college or work in Manhattan if you're out during the day you'll mostly see people with kids
>>
>>1273880
There's 1 bedrooms in parkchester for 1100 and that's not even that far. Obviously newly renovated apartments in slowly gentrifying south Bronx will be expensive
>>
>>1273878
Don't sugar coat too much anon. Your not gonna get killed but the odd of you getting into a fistfight are much much higher than the other boroughs.
>>
>>1274179
Parkchester 1 bedrooms go for 1300 now
>>
>>1274178
I see plenty of young chicks walking around the Bronx
>>
>>1274180
Maybe if you're dumb and don't know how to stay out of trouble.

The Bronx is less dangerous than pretty much any city in the South or Midwest.
>>
>>1274115

>studios under 2000

enjoy your roaches and drug deals in the hallway
>>
Ditmas Park was alright, I lived by Newkirk in a 1br for 1300$. Probably could have gotten it cheaper if I wasn't a white student. Gyro king was a 10/10 when I lived there, made me fat and happy.
>>
>>1274303
>yuppie brainlet detected
Please jump off a bridge
>>
>>1274246
Not every single one of them.
>>
>>1274338
You can get one for cheaper if someone who owns a condo wants to rent one out to you. But the going price to rent a 1 bedroom is 1300, and I can imagine it getting more expensive.
>>
>>1274303
Yuppie retard detected
>>
>>1274327
I bet it would cost significantly more than that now
>>
>>1274416
Not as fast as you'd think. The Bronx is still very undesirable to the yuppie crowd and even south Bronx won't change much until 2019 when L dies and we see a mass migration of hipsters looking for easy commutes. Parkchester and co op city are 20-30 mins further than south Bronx(motto haven) though
>>
>>1273659

Not much reason to go. People think it's all dangerous for some reason. Mostly it's just one giant blob of boring ugly poor neighborhoods that aren't particularly dangerous but are very boring.

YOu can get some very nice views of the river from Riverdale and it's one of the few places left in the city you can get quality jew food (I love Kosher style delis) without paying 20+ for a fucking sandwich and fries, but not much else.
>>
>>1274303
I live in a studio in a 6 year old building which is quite clean in east harlem for 1480/month and I've never seen or heard bad behavior inside my building

I saw one roach once, in the basement, but that's it. Never any bugs in my room except if I leave the window open and a fly comes in
>>
>>1274511

I forgot to add the bronx botanic gardens. They're really nice.
>>
>>1274180

Yeah, like 0.015% in the bronx vs 0.010% elsewhere, assuming you mind your own business
>>
>>1274479
There has already been a rapid increase. In 2013, 1 bedrooms in the South Bronx went for like 850 and now they're at 1300.

If Mott Haven really does reach Bushwick prices after the L Train shutdown, that would be sad.
>>
>>1273721
thanks for the rec man, checked out kinokuyina and copped some dank jojo shit. you weren't kidding, from the first floor I thought it was just a regular unsuspecting bookstore, but second floor is absolute weeb heaven
>>
>>1274683
>feels bad man
>>
grew up UES ama
>>
>>1272334
NYC in general is overrated
>>
File: 1422016388881s.jpg (8KB, 249x212px) Image search: [Google]
1422016388881s.jpg
8KB, 249x212px
>>1275068
>this
>>
>>1274422
Damn anon, you are right. The only thing I could find for a similar rate was literally on Flatbush ave which was still heavy nog territory when I lived there 3-4 years ago. I lived on the next block from Newkirk station, everything around it is going for 2,000+ in the middle of Paki-Russian-old crazy nig territory.
>>
>>1275068
The food is actually top-notch and there is no knocking it. Easy public transportation to get around on. Anything international you could want. Serviced by a regional and global airport.

Downside
>Sucks in harsh weather (a rainstorm is harsh there)
>Expensive as all hell
>If you only know English, you are fucked
>>
>>1274684
i'm glad you enjoyed it anon.
>>
>>1275220
with your mindset, you should move to Howard Beach or Tottenville
>>
>>1275360
What you think I am being /pol/ about the black people? I step out of the apartment for 30 minutes to go down the street and grab some groceries and the crazy motherfucking black person on the floor above me comes upstairs and starts beating on the door with a bat demanding my girlfriend come out to the door when shes in the shower. Or if I walk to the Atlantic terminal and try and shop at target and I get stopped every single trip for handouts because white.

The pakis/easterners were fine, heard once someone was going to cut someones head off while walking back in the middle of the night but that was it. Russians were all old, in like their 80s/90s and couldn't speak any english but were otherwise fine. The turks that operated the Gyro King were 10/10, never got food poisoning or anything from there and I was eating there 2-3 times a week. Across the plaza was the deli I would also eat at 2/3 times a week and was operated by an Omani family. Friendly as can be, half the time I would be laughing as I am leaving there and they knew I was good for the money next time if I left my wallet at home.

Other than the crazy nogs, the college-aged businesses moving in were the worst. The coffee bar at the corner was fine but I wasn't into coffee then but the rest of their businesses in the area were massive fucking failures.
>>
>>1275222

>If you only know english, you are fucked

I'm a brooklyn native and am very curious as to where you heard such bullshit
>>
>>1275427
As a Brooklyn native you should stop taking 4chan so seriously. The thinly veiled shitposting is what makes this place different from say facebook
>>
>>1275429

new yorkers are defensive as hell
its hard to help it when we and the rest of the world hypes us up as the GOAT city
>>
>>1275427
>Your Landlord/Super will almost 100% of the time be Spanish
>Endless amounts of confusion over everything because of this
>Repairmen will also be Spanish, making it impossible to organize with them to get stuff done
>>
>>1275628
>not knowing what Spanish means

Also, most of the Hispanic supers are Puerto Rican, and almost all Puerto Ricans can speak English even if they're from Puerto Rico
>>
>>1252362
because it's mostly awful immigrants and their children with terrible egos. the worst of italy, worst of south america, the worst of africa, worst of asia, and pretty much every other shit hole place where you're very motivated to leave.

the decent people move out to the suburbs, but the petty and shitty people don't mind living in garbage like rats. they live in shitty hovels they call home that are ridiculously expensive because of land values, but the places themselves are worse than the double wides of the people they make fun of as stupid rednecks.

the people in nyc are far less intelligent than they claim to be. they live in a world where the USA is the midwest, LA, and themselves because travel to them is a shitty beach or one of those resorts you see advertised on TV. Most of them don't even go to places like ellis island or places they call tourist traps, but being like 30 years old and never going to a national park or museum right by where you live is a high level of isolation from history/culture that they profess to be so expert in exposing themselves to. A road trip to them is driving to NJ (and they will complain the entire time), upstate NY is Westchester county, and their small minds really do enjoy their small place.

I hope they all stay isolated in their own containment area. It's much better to have a good quality of life and live around decent people somewhere else, and then take trips to NYC to enjoy something interesting.
>>
>>1270456
If you don't mind 'they culture'.

Greyhound is a large government contractor ie homeless, fresh out or prison, and other creatures all get their trips paid for by 'them programs'. Any other bus company would be better than Greyhound or just take LIRR.
>>
>>1274117
>two airports, trains, and a fuckton of buses
enjoy your bus trips because on a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle you aren't going very far.
>>
>>1276125
That's the same anywhere. Traveling costs money, if you're broke then having a car won't help you much in regards to that.
>>
>>1276116
You are a retard. Almost none of what you said is true.
>>
>>1276120
I've taken Greyhound before, it was fine. And it was only like 22 dollars from NYC to DC.
>>
Hi, actual New Yorker here
Most of the city is people on welfare who keep voting to raise the price of everything. Unless you make at least $50,000 a year you're gonna have a tough time. The cost of living here is higher than Honolulu.

To live anywhere near Central Park, you'll be a millionaire. I'm talking like, at least $10 mil in the bank. Central Park is actually pretty dangerous and there's a likelyhood of getting robbed

New York is actually overrated. It's actually hard to find decent food unless you're going to an expensive place. The MTA is an absolute fuckfest. Every few days there's some signal problem and half the subway gets shut down. Now the subway is so slow (because half of it is shut down for construction) that when ever you go on the MTA website, it might say good service even though you could jump on the track and have a 3 course meal by the time the trian comes near you.

De blasio is such. A bad mayor that homeless people will come from out of state and camp out here. In manhattan and some parts of Brooklyn and queens you can't go more than a few feet without seeing another homeless person

The crime rate is significantly higher than reported because the cops are too afraid to become another headline

As far as race goes— Jews are annoying, whites are pretentious (especially the out of town whites) p, blacks are annoying and think everything is racist, Chinese and hispanics can't even speak English half the time.

New York is nice if you wanna visit, but not to live, unless you want a soul crushing city job or office job. Oh, and the city is not very small business friendly, go good luck if you wanna do that
>>
>>1276116
You said it better than I could've
>>
>>1276777
All the good food is like an hour into Brooklyn or queens Lol the touristlets will never know good new York food
>>
>>1276790
That's debatable. Good cheap food yeah like 30-60 mins into the boroughs but good expensive you can get anywhere except Bronx and staten island
>>
>>1276790
>>1276801
Even "fast food" can be pretty fucking delicious anywhere you go in NYC. A gyro here where I live costs about 9$ and comes with some pathetic dry meat with lettuce tomato and onions lathered in the cucumber sauce. Meanwhille I can get an actual "lamb" (doesn't actually matter how much lamb it may or may not have) that is roasted on the spit where you can see and then grilled with spices and veggies.
>>
>>1260314
>LA
>Chicago
>NYC
>World class

Anon I......

Seriously though, I don't think anything but New York should be listed as "world Class". The other two are just big and wealthy. That's the thing with American cities, they are in America.

So they tend to be loaded with dosh.

If America suddenly turned into a 3rd world shithole New York would be the only one still carrying the torch. LA would just be comparable, if it isn't already to any Chinese mega city.

Chicago will maybe just maybe be teetering on it.

As someone who's traveled to some world class cities it's not the size or the endless supply of retarded shit to do that puts it into that category.

And I think Americans, specifically New Yorkers (New New Yorkers actually) need to venture out more before they continue to spout this shit.

I've got 2 cousins who were born and raised in New York who held onto the principle of NY being world class until they started traveling abroad.

One of them lives in Barcelona now and the other lives in Milan.

Smaller, less wealthy, less shit to do in comparison to NY, but they say that for the first time they actually understand what it's like for actual culture to be a part of their lives as opposed to an endless supply of shit.
>>
>>1276777
New Yorker here too, a lot of your post is bullshit.

If you don't know where to go get good inexpensive food, you're not looking hard enough. And the crime rate is not higher than reported, that's just a bullshit lie that conservatives who hate de Blasio make up.

And Central Park dangerous? That's a load of bullshit. I mean, I wouldn't jog there at 3AM if I was a female, but I definitely wouldn't say it's dangerous.

The subway system is great when it's running properly, lately it seems there have been a lot of issues though.

>>1276790
Not really, there is plenty of good stuff in Manhattan as well as North Brooklyn.
>>
>>1276986
I'm a New Yorker and I've been to several countries, there are many cities that I love.

But that doesn't take away from NYC's greatness
>>
>>1276995
It is a Great City, but for all it's greatness it's a total shit hole at the same time. And that's the problem with New York.

I personally feel, that the city has catered way too much to ditzy progressive types while ignoring the hell out of it's poorer communities.

Which has created this weird "We've got every show and kink you can imagine!" basically in the middle gang activity.

I don't know if that explained it well
>>
>>1277075
the poorer neighborhoods have gotten a lot better. And 400,000 people live in public housing, which allows them to live in NYC for wayyyyy under market rents.
>>
I live in the Village. It's expensive and very chill with a lot of great food around. What I would say about moving to the city is that you find out very quickly if you are the type of person who loves the city. People who love it would rather live here than anywhere else in the world, people who aren't all about it will move away after a year. I'm the guy who's moving away after a year.
>>
>>1277390
Lol same. Wanna try and live it up in westchester with relatives so I can save and travel.tired of wage cucking just to live in Brooklyn with roomates
Thread posts: 295
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.