[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traveling through the U.S

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: map-of-united-states-2[1].gif (19KB, 854x634px) Image search: [Google]
map-of-united-states-2[1].gif
19KB, 854x634px
Realistically, how further east could one go starting from Berkeley, California, out west in a car?

So I have 3 friends and we're planning on traveling east-ward throughout the U.S to explore the country. We have pooled around 20 thousand dollars (plus each of us have credit cards), and the car we're traveling in is brand new.

Realistically, how far east ward would we be able to go while still being able to go back?

Thanks.
>>
>>1250207
I've driven coast to coast

Virginia Beach VA to Santa Monica. you can do it in a week or less, I did it in 2 with around 700 bucks and had a blast. Feel free to ask anything.
>>
>>1250211
Heyo thanks!
Did you do many stops? I was wondering if we pooled enough money but damn, 700?

How was it?
>>
With $20k and a brand new car your only restraint is time. The longest drive I've done in a straight shot is Atlanta to Boston which was about 20 hours, including stops for gas, food, etc. That drive was about 1/3 of the distance that it would be to go from California to somewhere like say New York or Boston in the north east.

So it would technicely be feasible to go west coast to east coast in 3 days if you hauled ass, slept in rotations while driving, and lived off rest stop snacks and fast food, but you wouldn't be exploring much that way either.

Really you've just got to reconcile how much time you've got for your trip with how many hours a day you're all willing to sit in the car staring at the highway and there's your answer.
>>
Calculate how far you can go in the car you will be using on one tank of fuel and divide by two. That's the distance that you can travel and still come back without having to stop for gas. A typical car can go at least 250 miles on one tank, and divided by that is 125 miles, which if you travel at an average speed of 60 mph, means you can travel a max of two hours away from where you are.
>>
>>1250213
Depends how long you do, I did something like 12 stops and did cheaper hotels. The 700 was gas+hotels+some extra shit like oil. Food and other fun things I did may have made it closer to 1100 when all was said and done.

In the mid west things get stupid cheap, I remember getting a huge steak(16oz) + salad +2 stupid big sides for something like 15 bucks, my Super 8 hotel was since and only like 50bucks for a king bed. Unless you stop in major cities like Dallas, Phoenix, Etc your expenses will be lower than you think. New Mexico I made 50 dollars in drinks last me the whole night, and I wasn't trying to skimp out.

My advice is plan the fuck out of your stops, with 20,000 you could hit all 50 states with ease. Like the other anon said your biggest limitation will be time. Best advice would be to stick to the southern states while in the midwest (Wyoming, and utah basically have jack shit to do outside iconic marks).

Aside from that
>only plan to drive for 6 hours a travel day, I did some stretches of 8-9 but wound up not enjoying the places as much the day of or after the drive though I did solo
>use yelp, tripadvisor and local news sites to look for things to do
>research your hotel/motels while traveling, many midwest places aren't going to have more than a holiday inn express IF that, but most are kept fairly clean
>depending on your car get a portable gas can, can save your ass because cell reception can be spotty and you don't want to run out of gas
>when planning your route go over the route(s) in google earth to see the terrain and before going to the next stop CHECK THE FUCKING WEATHER
>be polite, culture changes state by state and town by town in a lot of non coastal states

Let me know if you have any other questions
>>
>>1250226
Most modern cars get 35mpg+, and have a 10-12 gallon tank. For exploring at stops this is a good idea, but going from point A to B usually map out the tank and a gas station half way.

Oh also OP ALWAYS carry at least 100 dollars cash on you. Smaller cities and shops may not take credit cards
>>
I don't really have anything of value to add, but I hope you have a good time man. Sounds like a fun time.
>>
Heyo guys thanks a lot

Is there any stop you guys recommend or any route?
>>
>>1250207
I recommend staying in the western states and driving all the way to the Mississippi river. all the states past it are shit anyway. for stops, it depends on what you like
>>
>We have pooled around 20 thousand dollars
>Realistically, how far east ward would we be able to go while still being able to go back?

With that much money, you'll be heading home because your sick of each other far before you come close to running low on money.
>>
>20 thousand dollars
Not nearly enough. You'll be lucky to get to Salt Lake City with that chump change.
>>
What would be /trv/'s recommendation for searching for a hotel in a given spot?

Just search on the internet?
>>
>>1251534
you could try airbnb
>>
>>1250207

I spent about AUD10k flying from Aus, buying a car, driving from Vancouver to LA to New Orleans to Chicago to DC to Toronto and most places in between then flying back to Vancouver, going out every night getting smashed and eating out every single meal.

This was between three people (so 30k all up) but without the cost of a car and flights I expect you could do the same.
>>
>>1251534
Stay at hostels. They are cheap and you meet people.

But if you are in a party town, for us it was New Orleans and Miami, it is worth buying a hotel. You will meet people anyway and you will convince a lot more girls by saying hotel than hostel.
>>
File: image.jpg (180KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
180KB, 750x1334px
>>1250508
DO NOT avoid New Orleans, if you have never been it is one of the best cities in the US, and only 5ish hours from Houston, another great city

Skip the Midwest and go through Texas and come back through the North, they're called Flyover states for a reason

If I were you I'd drive through Texas, to New Orleans, up 61 to Baton Rouge, then through St. Francisville to see the beautiful plantations, and keep going through Natchez all the way up to Memphis taking the Natchez Trace, the going through the smokeys to the East Coast, I take that route atleast 3 times a year and I love the fuck outta it

Pic related, bourbon street
>>
>>1251724
Do not fucking stay in US hostels, that is a terrible idea, this isn't Europe, hotels are a much better option with that kind of money
>>
>>1251724
>>1252198
New orleans has great cheap hostels. Dont listen to this cuck
>>
>>1252998
New Orleans hostels are terrible, I live in New Orleans, the hostels are for very poor people who hate comfort, not even close to European ones, plus when you have motel 6 and shit like that there is no need for hostels
>>
Stay away from utah, it sucks here

If you like scenery then drop on by, otherwise it's just a flyover state
>>
>>1250508
Memphis.
Just got back to Oklahoma from there. I can't wait to go back.
>>
>>1251534
Depends on which city. The ones that attract a lot of Euros (Seattle, SF) do have Euro-style hostels for prices that would correspond to upper-bracket hostels in European cities.
e.g. I stayed in an SF hostel that charged $35 a night. Outside of 'Loin long-stay hotels, the only better rate I could have found (I *think*) was motels way out in the suburbs.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.