[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I stay in a christian monastery temporarily?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_20170516-215551.png (963KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170516-215551.png
963KB, 720x1280px
Im sick of of my life situation and I wanna run somewhere. Problem Im broke, got only few hundred euro. However I have a bunch of points for my local airplane company saved up so I can fly anywhere in Europe for free. I'd like to get out of Europe but Im pretty desperate so I think I'll fly somewhere closer now and then move on after a while.

Im a christian and I thought heck I might as well stay in a monastery for a while. Anything that gets me out of my life here. I wouldnt stay for too long maybe a month max, but is this possible? Do some christian monasteries take in people who'll work for accomodation and some food? Is this a thing even anymore? Plz let me know

Also any tips on what to do after that? I mean Im pretty broke so how do I move on after that. I'd like to leave Europe after that and just hobo around in Japan or something

Thx
>>
Oh also if there exists a monastery in Israel pls tell me, that would be the perfect destination for a monastery for me as my points can get me that far too and I like the country
>>
Bump

HELP ME
>>
I'm sure there are monasteries and abbeys that do it. You just have to look on their respective websites
>>
>>1250102
learn to hitchike and forget about cash problems.
also, no monastery will take you if you aren't planning to become a monk
>>
>>1250127
>no monastery will take you if you aren't planning to become a monk
false
>>
You probably don't even need to leave the country, there are monasteries outside of Europe. I don't know much of how monasteries work, but look some up for your respective denomination and give them a call/email if your interested.

Hope you get to into a better place OP.
>>
>>1250127
>learn to hitchike and forget about cash problems.
I could hitchhike all day in a foreign country, but the cash problem remains because I'll still need food. If you got a fiz for that I'll gladly become a hitchiker

Also rly? Monasteries don't take in unless I wanna become a monk permanently???
>>
>>1250134
Yes you dumb goose, you can stay in a monastery without becoming a monk. You just have to pray, read, meditate, be silent and work a little bit every day.
>>
>>1250136
Well do me a favor dude and link me some good monasteries in southern Europe or Israel. Or even better tell me how to become 100% free from people and the society
>>
>>1250139
The irony is that by reaching out to people to help you become free of people, you have now realized that you do need other people after all...
>>
>>1250134
>a fiz for that
dumpster diving of course.
Also fruit trees
also all the fat you accumulated on your body.
every 10kg of it should let you survive another 3-4 weeks

about staying there - well I'm not an expert tbqh. if the other anon knows better, maybe they are right.
Though I can't quite believe it
>>
>>1250144
Good point, maybe I'll even leave 4chan behind and stop talking to people even on the internet. This way I'll become truly solo
>>
>>1250146
You belong on /out/, not /trv/

Just saying
>>
>>1250147
nah, he belongs here just fine.
He claims to want to do shit he'll never even attempt to do
>>
>>1250148
You IDIOT I'll show you fools that I'll pull some crazy stuff off mark my word!!! I'll go to Japan, kill the nara deer and be the baddest hobo who’s ever walked the land of the rising sun

When you see the dead deer pics leaking to 4chan you'll wish you hadn't mocked me today...
>>
>>1250150
Why don't you build your own house?
>>
>>1250150
why would I ever wish that, even if you were right?

also, that's fucking dumb
>>
>>1250151
I don't wanna settle down, I wanna see stuff and not stay in one place.

What I'd rly wanna do is go do some urban exploration in big metropolis tier cities at night time. Doing that alone without a permanent place to stay in a foreign country with no job or people limiting your lifestyle would be the pinnacle of freedom
>>
I have an Irish bro who stayed at a Benedictine monastery in Ireland for a few weeks. Said it was chill
>>
>>1250139
>link me some good monasteries
They're not usually all that big on the website front.
>>
>>1250160
Which is why I asked you people to link some. The interwebz bill's not paid, the only internet connection I got is the 4G on my phone and surfing the web sucks with this.
>>
File: 4312631-cat-control-1.jpg (49KB, 598x448px) Image search: [Google]
4312631-cat-control-1.jpg
49KB, 598x448px
>>1250164
jfc you entitled cunt
>>
My dance teacher considered taking monastic vows, he said he spent less than two months in the 80s and was practically kicked out because he would spend too long on the pay phone near their front hall.

I dont know you OP, but I expect the monastic life isn't for you based purely on you asking here. But lets say you are interested and there is some sort of trial run... wouldn't the place to get started be your house of worship? Its not like Father Lopez is going to have a direct line to every abbot but if anyone knows the threads to pull it would start there.

Though I honestly think you should start in the east and then go back to the catholics to train them in jiu jitsu.
>>
>>1250102
Just shave your asshole and do some stretching exercises. The rest should be clear.
>>
I'm actually going to answer OP's question.

Most Catholic monasteries operate guesthouses. They charge about 15 euro a room per night and the facilities are pretty basic. I'm personally friendly with a group of American monks living in Italy and I know they operate a guesthouse. That might be up in the air right now because they got rocked by a earthquake a few months ago and are trying to recover, so the guesthouse might be closed for a while.

Anyway here is their website, feel free to reach out if you're inclined:

https://en.nursia.org/
>>
>>1250348
There's a huge number of monastery and nunnery guest houses in Italy. They're run like inexpensive B&Bs. There's also monasteries in the UK I've been told about that are more upscale, they function like writers retreats and weekend escapes for wealthy city folk.
>monasterystays.com
>>
>>1250206
>But lets say you are interested and there is some sort of trial run...
It's a huge commitment and long process to become "a religious"; it's a dying tradition in most of the West. I had a friend about 5 years back (in the UK) who felt called to a monastic life. He wasn't a borderline sociopath like OP, he was just a very devout dude who couldn't really function in modern society. Like some of the nuttier people on /lit/ all he really wanted to do was read and talk about medieval theology. He became like a monk groupie visiting all these places and spending time at one particular monastery, but they subtly and then not-so-subtly told him to get lost. They know their lifestyle is dead and they're the last jedis, and they knew that he was just trying to avoid having to deal with growing up.

tl;dr - monasteries are for tourists these days
>>
>>1250102
http://trappistabbey.org/
I'm most likely going here, OP.
Maybe if you haven't found a place yet, you could go here too. They take in three per program. A monastery life retreat is for 30 days, and it's completely free because you work at the place for your food and board.
They have a bakery, a winery and they bindbooks there as well.
I think they even do beekeeping seeing as they make honey too, I'm hoping anyway because I've been interested in beekeeping recently and making mead
>>
File: Procession-front-slider.jpg (139KB, 940x392px) Image search: [Google]
Procession-front-slider.jpg
139KB, 940x392px
>>1251437
http://trappistabbey.org/?page_id=494
MLR experiences
>>
>>1250353
Even Benedict mentions the type of monk vagabond.
>>
>>1250145
>dumpster diving
Is that even a thing in poorer countries?
Serious question, probably gonna do it the hobo way for a couple of months soon
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.