[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One Month Monastery Stay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: monastery.jpg (217KB, 810x539px) Image search: [Google]
monastery.jpg
217KB, 810x539px
Is it possible to do like a one month stay in a monastery in Korea or any other country? Maybe India?

I don't want to go full monk but I would like to learn their teachings on meditation and avoiding temptations and materialism and maybe make a better life. I can afford to take a month off of work so I don't want anything longer or shorter. Money isn't much of an object.

I am Christian and do not want to convert or anything but maybe implement their principles into my daily life. I am white. Is what I want possible?
>>
I know this is possible in Thailand at least. Someone else can probably be of more help but I know it's possible in Thailand.
>>
You can do it at deer park Monastery in California
>>
>>1249793
>I am Christian and do not want to convert or anything but maybe implement their principles into my daily life.
There are Christian monasteries, abbeys, cloisters, etc that allow very inexpensive daily stay prices (almost a donation really for your soup and bread supper), and you're welcome to join in prayer, or a "silent retreat" weekend and you won't pick up any unwanted spiritual guests by going pagan or occult with your vacation meditations.

You can hang out with Trappists, Benedictines, Jesuits, and others who have some pretty serious prayer traditions and doctrines on top of catholicism. Some offer one on one counseling, or some structured class or study to instill some reading or reflection times. Some have ridiculously nice buildings and grounds, and others are spartan sleeping, but gorgeous hiking.

I can't speak for the zen people or their prices. It doesn't interest me. If a person is interested, I figure they'd already study at home (why can't you?) and not insult people like a tourist trying on a hat. Adding a language barrier to study seems illogical to me. Probably you just want silence and time to reflect. You can get prayer anywhere without switching religions.
>>
>>1249793
Went here 20 years ago.

No cost. Free food. Changed my life in small but good ways.

http://www.insight-meditation.org/
>>
>>1249793
look up temple stay online

yeah, you can do it. you might have to pay a little and do some chores. i did one for a weekend. you might have a hard time finding people around you that speak english too.
>>
>>1249793
I don't think you really get it anon, I really dont

a monastery is a church where people sworn to a faith live.
you can't go there and break the tennets of their fath, or the practicalities of it's practice

if it's not your religeon, how would you engage? would it even be right?

and you would more or less have to go full monk

I know guys who have done it, and it's not something you just walk into, they were seasoned budhists

if any of this isn't true you're not in a monastery; you're in a meditation camp
>>
Saw plenty of those in South Korea while I traveled there. Pretty much every monastery and temple offered a temple stay
>>
>>1249793
Jesus would not go into a heathen monastery.

I don't wanna offend you OP but this is not a christian thing to do. Go to a christian monastery if you really want to go but for God's sake don't go to a monastery where they worship idols.
>>
>>1249793
I had the same idea when I was studying Buddhism about 5 years ago. I'm no longer studying but wouldn't mind spending a few weeks at one of these monasteries.
>>
>>1249793
Is Mongolia also acceptable?
There are monastaries all around. You can just go there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Az1CP-f_A
>>
OP here, you guys kind of talked me out of it. I didn't realize how religious all these monasteries were. I guess I was looking more for something without religion, you know just based on minimalism and getting away and being the best person you could be. Just a month of reflecting on myself and giving me structure in my life.

I really didn't do much research on this topic beforehand so I didn't realize what I was getting in too, I am just a spiritual person having a hard time in life with about a month of vacation saved and thought maybe this was what I needed. I will do more research and maybe look for a Christian monastery in the U.S.
>>
>>1250183
you don't need to go to a monastery to reflect on yourself, hell you don't even need to travel to do that. i'd just drive around the US for a while if I were you
>>
>>1250185
>>1250183
by road, i forgot to say
>>
>>1250186
Thanks for the clarification, i was under the impression that you meant driving a camel by the river
>>
>>1250183
as a christian the last thing you need is religion, you need spirituality with Christ. I'm not talking about some whacky experiences I'm talking about a true connection to Jesus.

Anyway if you wanna go on a vacation sure go for it, but just avoid going to weird temples of other religions.

Whatever you do have fun and I'll pray for you too, God bless brother
>>
>>1250183
Probably best really. I'm a Buddhist, and it's not like I'm offended, but I don't really get why you'd go somewhere with a totally different religion. I think anyone of any religion can probably add some ideas of Buddhism to their life and find value in it, but I don't really think living in a Buddhist temple is the way to do it unless you're Buddhist or at least more close to Buddhism than any other religion. You could just rent a cabin in the woods without wifi for a little while wherever you want. There are some places that offer short meditation retreats too that you might try, those will usually be less religiously based than going to live in a temple.
>>
>>1250183
Go to a Christian Monastery in the states OP. Tell me which one you end up picking because I'm actually looking to go to one as well.
Found a couple in my state.
I was googling monastery 4chan threads too trying to find stuff, cool i found an active thread on a slow board.
Gonna go for a month too, when I end up finalizing what place I'm going to and figure out the finances.
>>
>>1251412
http://trappistabbey.org/
same anon
this place looks great. i honestly would go for being a monk if i didnt have this undeniable urge to procreate
>>
File: 1385820363543.jpg (96KB, 428x510px) Image search: [Google]
1385820363543.jpg
96KB, 428x510px
>>1250183
>I didn't realize how religious all these monasteries were
>>
>>1251412
>>1251414
See this thread before it expires.
>>1250102
>>
>>1250183
Go to bootcamp
>>
You trying to become Doctor Strange OP?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.