[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I rode a greyhound for 78 hours straight.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: greyhound-bus-2.jpg (342KB, 1800x901px) Image search: [Google]
greyhound-bus-2.jpg
342KB, 1800x901px
Me and my best bud decided we wanted to go see the west and meet an old friend in Oregon. So we rode a greyhound roughly 2,900 miles from north Florida to South Oregon. I saw and met countless people. Some surprisingly normal (greyhound has a reputation for attracting crazy people) and some totally insane. This trip (mostly the bus) has helped me tremendously with socializing. I talked to quite a few girls. I even slept with one of them. (literally slept with, not sex, like cuddling with a total stranger that was super hot). I talked to ex military people, people job hunting and/or just trying to escape their life. I woke up to border patrol shining a flashlight in my face asking if I was a US citizen. We befriended a girl from southern Cali that fed us delicious chocolate from Italy, and showed us were to get the best breakfast burrito. There was a Muslim man on there for awhile. He had powerful mental and verbal abilities. He was challenging everyone on the bus and had a very strong presence. We were on this bus for so long we coined the term "bus delirium" to try and describe how we felt. I met everyone from a weed trimmer all the way up to the owner of a huge weed farm with 12,000 plants. I learned that Oregon locals are far more social than Florida locals. I also learned the Oregon isn't just liberal, but an extreme mix of conservative gun lovers. We flew back, because we didn't want to endure the bus again for such an extreme amount of time. I briefly talked to one girl at the airport. But flying was extremely boring and uneventful compared to the bus. I just got back home, and I don't even know what to do at this point. I miss the crisp mountain air and beautiful trees already. But home sweet home.

Share your story of travelling on a bus or experiences with rare bizarre people or events.
>>
>rode the train in Ukraine for 42 hours through two nights
>spent the entire time alone because no one else could speak any English at all
>also starving because apparently dining cars don't exist on Ukrainian trains
>>
>>1249653
>experiences with rare bizarre people

>riding amtrak
>grey hair asian lady sits next to me
>starts talking
>she wanted to travel around in an rv
>put an ad in a magazine
>met a guy who drove her from LA to Denver
>he kept trying to make physical contact even though the ad said non sexual
>ends up sick of it in denver
>puts ad on craigslist for local to show her around
>muslim guy sends her a message and they meet
>he keeps offering her alcohol at meals and going to coors brewery
>he wont drink himself though
>>
>>1249653
only semi-related, but I once hitchhiked through Mongolia and a large car (not really a bus, but still very big) took me. It was full of police, who were going on vacation together. They sang me traditional Mogolian songs and I sang them a polish one as well.
Cool guys, you know. There was about 15 of them.
>>
>>1249656
Mine is also in Ukraine - Lviv airport was closed so they rerouted us to Kyiv and got us a bus (10 hours).

Pulled out of the airport and directly into a large gas station to buy beer. We all ended up pissing in the bottles in the back. It was super weird but I was quite fatigued from drinking all the way from NYC.

Some guy spoke broken English and I spoke broken Russian so we made it work.
>>
>>1249653
You should write a book, I'd read it.
>>
File: 7282467154_9f989f6987_k.jpg (522KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
7282467154_9f989f6987_k.jpg
522KB, 2048x1365px
Rhode Island to New Mexico on greyhound with 2 friends to see the solar eclipse of 2012

tired as fuck, lost my appetite from lack of sleep and barely ate
homeless hitchhiker sat next to me between two towns, smelt like piss made me nauseous

other than that it was still cool to have visited a few big cities along the way
>>
>>1249780
This means a lot to me as I was considering trying, thanks! My original post really doesn't do my trip justice. Me and my friend met and talked to so many people and saw so many things I would have to basically write a short story and revise it as I remember things that happened. The trip was 10 days long. We went through Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas(I hated Texas), California and finally Oregon. I felt like I was going to get murdered in Houston just walking to the nearby McDonald's. We had a 4 hour layover in Los Angeles so we went bar hopping in the Art District. Angel City Brewery is a great bar. We saw countless beautiful women. I'm a social retard so any conversation with the opposite sex is great for me. My friend is more social so he is a great wing man.

>>1249656
>>1249708
Very strange. Riding on the Amtrak is on my bucket list. You can go hungry on a greyhound too. They only have shitty gas station food spread out over several hours. Sometimes there are vending machines too. Muslims seem like interesting people to say the least. They do questionable and immoral things but they aren't stupid.
>>
>>1250091
not that guy but your writing style is enjoyable, it was a good read, though i dislike the generalisations you make.
>>
>>1249830
What an excellent reason to travel! Great photo too. I was averaging 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night, it was rough. It's not very uncommon to have to sit next to people with some kind of odor unfortunately. I always put my backpack in the aisle seat and sat next to the window. It helps get your own seat, because people are forced to ask you to sit there.

>>1250112
Thanks! I'll try to work on that or explain more clearly.

I also forgot to mention that when we got to Oregon, we hammocked on the property of the weed farm. The workers all lived on the farm. They basically created their own little commune. It was also to protect the farm. Apparently some farms were getting raided. There was a community shotgun in the living room for whoever needed it. Plus most people there had their own personal gun.
>>
I wish I had a good story
>ride train Bratislava - Freiburg (Breisgau) to pick up an oversize historical painting this february
>on way there sleeping wagon, 6 bunks in our coupe
>me, my father, 4 women of various ethnicity
>dad: "guaranteed prostitutes"

He's a weird guy like that

I slept very surprisingly well that night
>>
>night bus London to Glasgow
>girl next to me talked on the phone literally all the time - about 8 hours.
>seats were extremely uncomfortable - it was just a city double-decker bus repainted and put on a long route
>didn't manage to sleep at all
>Arrived to glasgow tired and couldn't enjoy sightseeing at all

This was 15 years ago.
I never took an overnight bus since.
>>
Semiautistic guy here.
How do you start a conversation with strangers on a bus?
I barely ever get talked to so I'm trying to take the initiative more often, but I have no idea how to start a conversation with people I know nothing about.
Also to contribute
>be me 2 years back
>ride train back from LARPing festival
>meet two americans travelling through europe
>talk to them, be distracted
>find out they also have to get out where I have to get out
>accidentally get off a station early, too long to walk and no more trains coming
>had to call my sister at 11pm and ask her if she could come and get me and two english speaking strangers I just met

It was my second time riding a train alone.
>>
>>1250201
You have a range of two or three people you can talk to. If you cant figuratively reach out and touch them you shouldnt talk to them. Your window for talking is before they put on head phones, grab a pillow, or thumb past the first page of their book. If you wouldn't want to be bothered neither do they.

Then its basic stuff name, travel plans, travel past, et cetera.
>>
>>1250201
I usually just wait until I make eye contact and say "Hey" or "where are you headed?" Ideally they initiate or ask if they can sit with you, at which time you begin a conversation. There were definitely times where I just listened to music and kept to myself. But there are tons of opportunities to meet people on a bus.
>>
>>1250202
>>1250216
I guess I'll try to keep that in mind next time I'm on a longer ride. Thanks guys.
>>
I took a bus from Bangkok to Surat thani. It was an extremely long trip. It rained the whole time but lucky I sat next to an Australian guy. He was stoned as fuck and being Australian great banter ensude. I forgot his name but I remember he kept telling me that abbos aren't people. Great guy lots fun.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.