[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you deal with your survival depending on a few small,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

How do you deal with your survival depending on a few small, easily lost or stolen items?

I live using cash from ATMs, so I depend on my debit card when traveling in SEA.

I'm understandably afraid of getting pickpocketed while I have the card on me, so I keep it locked in my suitcase and my suitcase in a locked private room except for when I collect a wad of cash to live off.

But the problem is that locked room becomes a ball and chain. I get anxious about losing my cash during daytrips.

Then there's my passport, which I also keep locked up with the debit card. Hotels in SEA are often pretty relaxed about ID, but they still ask for it most of the time, which in practice means I don't stay overnight anywhere unless I have a lockable suitcase with me and a private room to stay in.

A fannypack (gag) just seems to invite pickpocketing; it's too visible. I don't even use a full wallet, just a card slip that I keep a few folded notes in (and no card.)

What are your strategies for "this sort of thing," protecting your valuables but not getting trapped by your own security?

One small thing I've figured out: use combination locks. No key means one less thing to worry about. Also, if you bring home an unsavory guest when too drunk to know better, they won't be able to find a combination by rifling through your pockets.
>>
>>1249506
it's so simple, man. If you have no cash, nobody can steal from you. I did 50 000km+ this way already, hitchhiking of course.

Of course I understand you are too paranoid and cash-dependent to try traveling this way.
Nonetheless I can advice you about passport: nobody gives the tiniest fuck about it. Just don't keep it with your valuables and you'll be fine. Myself I have a special pocket at the back of my coat - I have to take it out to reach my documents. So no random cutpurse will ever steal it unaware it's not cash and no burglar will ever care about it.
As to the credit card - well, with this mindset you're fucked, no matter what
>>
I always wear an undershirt that is a pocket tee. I place my credit cards, large bills, and passport in a small plastic zip lock bag and stuff it in this tee pocket.
>>
>>1249506
there is a good thread about money belts/wallets

I keep my passport/cards in either a buttoned pocket when I've left my bag in a hotel or something
I used to use a money belt, but it was awful and honestly not that necessary

since I'm not reaching for it every ten seconds nobody would even know I had them, let alone be able to pickpocket me

my wallet has bus tickets and pocket change in it, no fucks given

I've got enough cash in my pocket for one nights stay (in case my bag is stolen), and enough cash in my bag for half a week (in case I get robbed and loose my passport/cards, then I just post a new one to wherever I am from home and get an emergency passport)

hide the cash in the lining of the bag, thieves often discard the bag nearby after rifling through it

and better than a top pocket you can get a special wallet that clips inside your belt, if you really feel the need

when I plan on getting absolutely wasted, I put a hotel card and enough cash for a taxi in my shoe or taped inside my sock, and leave my passport/card at the hotel
>>
OP, you need to understand what to do if these do get stolen/lost, and be prepared for it.

Have a photocopy of your passport. It's enough for most ID checking purposes except actually crossing the border. Have the phone number of your embassy written down somewhere.
If your passport is lost, you need to get a police report about it, and go to your embassy for a replacement travel document. It's a pain in the ass, but it's not a death sentence.

For credit cards - have more than one. The spare one(s) should be hidden better and in a different place.
Make sure you have the numbers of all your CCs written down somewhere.
Whenever a CC is compromised, make sure you know the number of the bank to block it.
If all your CCs are blocked/compromised, you can still go to any bank with an ID and the CC number and request a cash withdrawl. Typically Visa/Mastercard cards support this, but you may need to check with your bank in advance.

I think this shit should be added to the sticky actually.
>>
File: Capture.png (253KB, 317x410px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
253KB, 317x410px
if you look like a hobo, nobody will rob you.
>>
>>1249506
How do you deal with your survival depending on a few small easily lost or stolen items while at home?
>>
>>1249545
I travel in poor countries, so it would be selfish and childish to expect people to give me food and shelter and transport free of charge, all while amputees and people with massive infected sores sprawl on the street, begging.

And in any case, in places as poor as these, hoboing is not considered a charming gap-year boondoggle. It's looked down on.

Coat pocket sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately SEA is a one-layer climate. Even wearing a backpack turns my back into a swamp.

>>1250511
Not needing a passport to sleep indoors, and being able to have a replacement ATM card shipped within days, to a place where I am generally paid up weeks in advance and have a stock of food and cooking equipment.
>>
If you're in South East Asia go buy a book in German and then fuck it up and make it look so shitty that nobody would want to steal it in order to sell it on, put a spare card inside this book and leave it in a private room or locker.

Problem solved G, also make friends with people who'll trust you to repay them after paying for a taxi / trip to the embassy.
>>
>>1249506
Where are you staying in SEA? I've never been asked for an ID.
>>
>>1249506
Sweat on belly or anxiety, huh?

Buy a moneybelt. It's almost completely unoticeable under any drenched other-than white t-shirt. Or as anon said, a real belt with inline stuffable pocket. I'd go for the one you can keep your passport in. Or both.. Beige colour is best. Pickpockets can't reach that when you're just wearing a t-shirt.

If you're wearing loose clothes it's impossible to notice. Pickpockets dont reach for skin, either. Except the kinky ones.

If you're in a rough neighborhood keep, say, three days worth of expences in your wallet. In crowded areas one. Stickups can get nasty if they get angry on you for hiding the jackpot. Whatever happens to you just flip your wallet. Either he's running off immedially or quickly checking the contents to decide to proceed further in robbing you.

Whatever happens just accept it, and he's off. It's a good idea to keep some invaluable plastic cards in it, too. Makes it genuine when he's looking and he'll be content with the amount of money. Your real visa kept loosely in perhaps the same pocket. Backup visa somewhere else.. Be creative. Passport perhaps in the same pocket. Keep things seperate so in any case you will atleast have backup information on your persona if you're forced to bum your way home.

Most stickups don't go for passports. Organized criminals do go for passports, but your average unlucky guy won't so keep it on the side if pickpocketers won't reach it. Another solution may be a wallet on a string around your neck if that's cool.

It's possible to both keep your shit safe and keep your valuables hidden AND be one step ahead for stickups - and if you do, they will only take your money!
>>
>>1249506
I got my shit stolen in Romania however I was ok. I had some backup cash in my bag and I had my back up card (which is at home) memorised so i wired myself money to complete the holiday.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.