[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Norway - Sweden Roadtrip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: norway Roadtrip.jpg (79KB, 579x887px) Image search: [Google]
norway Roadtrip.jpg
79KB, 579x887px
I am planning a Roadtrip through Norway - Sweden. The period is from 20 August to 20 September.
We are 3 or 4 persons in a big car. About 25 years old. We will mostly sleep in the tent or car.

I am photographer and filmmaker. so i'm looking for the most beautiful/magic places in Norway.

The destinations that I have selected are:
1. Oslo
2. Sverd i fjell
3. Preikestolen
4. Kjerag
5. Trolltunga
6. Voringfossen
7. Geiranger Flydalsjuvet
8. Fossevandring Geiranger
9. Trollstigen
10. Troll Church

Afterwards, we simply head north and discover without plan. Until we arrive at the Lofoten.

11. Lofoten
12. Tromso

Here in the north we want to look for a nice photo spot every night and hope to catch the polar lights.
Finally over Sweden the return trip.

13. Västerås Historiska Skeppsmuseum
14. Stockholm
15. Kopenhagen

What places have I forgotten where I must go?
Which of the 15th places would you not recommend?
Are there spots in Sweden in our route where we should go? What else could you recommend?

I am very grateful for every tip!
>>
First stop to buy up alco and sig near Hamburg maybe, check tollvesenet.no for how much you can bring.
Oslo, stay short or stay long. It's a Nice city to see, but The best part about Oslo is all The parks. No matter where you live you Will have lots of green spaces.

The plan sounds good. Remember to see all of Lofoten and Senja, beutiful places. Also try to see Finnmarksvidda og it's possible, i would sau it's more desert than Manny other places. Maybe Even more than The mauritanian desert
>>
Oh how original nobody has ever filmed Norway or Sweden
>>
>>1249198
You sound like an insufferable person.

I can't help you OP, but it sounds like my kind of trip. I love driving long distances.
>>
As a local I'll give you a few tips. From Oslo, consider driving E134 and then FV45 to Stavanger. Takes an hour or so more to drive but it'll offer vastly improved scenery along with Heddal stave church.
Kjerrag is on the south side of Lysefjorden and going to Stavanger and Preikstolen before going to Kjerrag is a major detour. If you take the scenic mountain route you can visit Kjerrag first before driving down to Stavanger and the Sverd i Fjell installation. Then take the ferry from Stavanger to Tau, see Preikestolen and continue on RV13 towards Trolltunga.

Outside Tromso I'd also recommend a quick detour west to Sommaroya and Hillesoy for some scenic sandy beaches nestled along the rocky islands and good potential for spotting whales if you're lucky.

As a Norwegian I'd say you have a pretty solid list. Just be aware that many of those will require many hours of hard hiking to reach.

A few other options for your list are: Besseggen, Snohetta where you'll be able so see some wilde muskox'es, Jostedalsbreen or Svartisen. I could probably list quite a few more, but it would be mostly more of the same things you'll be seeing all the way anyway. Finnmarksvidda is safe to skip as the area of Finland you'll drive through before you get into Sweden is indistinguishable from it.

Also, don't eat from the fast food places along the road. The food isn't that bad, but the prices are. Shop in supermarkets and prepare as much as possible yourself. Don't pay for water, just refill some large bottles in any small stream you see,
>>
File: lund.jpg (263KB, 1640x564px) Image search: [Google]
lund.jpg
263KB, 1640x564px
Swede here. Have in mind that you can't see any Northen lights during August so if possible post-pone your trip for a week or so that it's a bit later in September for a better chance of seeing the Northen lights.

As for cities in Sweden I really like Uppsala or Lund, the biggest university cities and there's a lot of picturesq places in both of them. If you arrive in September there'll be plenty of people dressed in weird clothes and doing random things as part of them being new students. Easy to get invited to parties to if that's your thing.
>>
>>1249227
thank you so much. You helped me a lot. >>1249246
thank you. We will be in the north for about 03. Sep - 15 Sep. I hope that this will be enough to see the northen lights. If not i will come back in March. Should we take this route near the sea
in Sweden or the other route inside the country?
>>
>>1249505

Good to hear! I've booked my own vacation for the same time period, if I hadn't I would have loved to join you guys up to Kjerrag or Preikestolen. I live just outside Stavanger so I hike up to both locations quite frequently.

As the Swede said, seeing the aurora will be a bit difficult due to the much longer days we get during the summer. For instance Tromso doesn't get proper nighttime darkness until 17th of september and then it's only for 45 minutes. Further south Trondheim gets its first hour of nighttime darkness on the 1st of september.

You'll still get a period of dusk where you'll see the aurora if it's bright enough, staying outside major cities gives you the best odds. I'd recommend spending the night on Kvaloya outside Tromso if you go out to Sommaroy as it the furthest north you'll be and it offers several areas without any artificial light pollution.
>>
>>1249513
Many thanks.
So you would also recommend to go a week later to get better chances to see the Aurora?

01 - 14 Sep. - Oslo to Troll Church
14 - 24 Sep. - Lofoten, Tromso, waiting and hoping for the Aurora.
24 - 30 Sep. - Back home through Sweden

I thought to start in 20. August to get some better weather to hike.
>>
>>1249521

Seeing the aurora depends on too many factors. I'd say the odds are the same either way. Best time to see it is november - february when you potentially can see it all day. The aurora isn't a constant thing. You can potentially see it all over Norway, but being further north helps and darkness helps.

Honestly I'd stick with the original dates as statisticly the weather is a lot better in august and early september.

Search for Aurora Forecast, that'll give you a website which shows you the odds of seeing the aurora.
>>
I'm Swedish and have lived in different parts of the country, from north to south.

I would recommend the mountains in northern Sweden. Sarek and Rapadalen is no doubt two of the most beautiful places on earth. A bit hard to reach.

I also love the southern part, Scania. Lots lots of things to see, though they are a bit spread out. Lund, as someone mentioned is really nice. Malmö is a fantastic city too as long as you stay around the shore and the city centre and harbor.

The west coast, around Gothenburg is also worth seeing. I would recommend driving from Stockholm to Gothenburg and driving down the coast to Scania. It's a much better drive than through the forests of Småland. If you like the fjords of Norway and the cliffs, the west coast is something you might wanna see. Lot's of nice towns and fishing harbors and stuff. Marstrand north of Gothenburg is the rich people's favorite vacation town, along with Torekov and Falsterbo in Scania. All of them really really nice.

Sweden has a lot to offer that I think you're missing out on.

As for Norway, I think you should go to Reine and Sorland. Beautiful towns. I don't have as much experience with Norway, so I will leave that to someone else.
>>
>>1249246
You should try go through Uppsala. Since you are coming from the north and are going to Västerås chance are pretty high you'll be passing through it anyway. It's worth a stop, check out "gammla Uppsala" which is and old viking burial ground with a museum. If you are intrested in botany or flowers Linnaeus was from Uppsala and there are a few museum in his honor. There is of course the cathedral which is the largest in northern europe (i think) One day should probably be enough.
>>
Thanks everyone! You helped me a lot. I can not wait any longer
>>
File: 1295194913341.jpg (272KB, 1116x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1295194913341.jpg
272KB, 1116x1280px
Central Sweden is pretty boring, hours of of spruce corridors. Far north is pretty cool.
Look into the nature reserves up there. Sarek with its Rapa Valley and Kungsleden etc.
I'd rather zigzag my way down the country hitting some hiking trails/ski resorts or whatever along the way rather than bomb down the big coastal road.
Then again you'll be so jaded with scenic beauty after Norway, Sweden will put you to sleep and hiking something like Vemdalen will probably bore you.
As someone said, the west coast probably beats the eastern one down south.

Stockholm's a depressing Vibrantly Diverse™ hellhole with expensive/nonexistent parking. The only thing of value is the older architecture and museums. Funny how 90% of tourism is looking at shit predating the marxist takeover of the west.

I just read some site about the aurora, it says September to April is when you might see it but of course, the darker the time of year the better. It says to avoid areas with light pollution and don't bother looking until 1.5 hours after the sun has set proper.
http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/sv/sun/sverige/stockholm/2016/september
Soluppgång = sunrise, solnedgång = sunset. Looks like 1 AM will be around the darkest time in mid-sept.

Stock up on everything before entering Scandinavia because it's pricy up here. One thing worth getting in Norway if you're into salted meat is "fenalår", basically a brined and dried sheep's leg they eat for christmas.

Expect subzero temps at night up north in September. Finding a secluded spot to park and camp shouldn't be a big problem but please, Leave No Trace.
Stavanger is a pretty city.
Check this guy's videos, lots of Norway IIRC. https://vimeo.com/terjes
>>
To be honest, you're missing a lot of great cities in Denmark it looks like you're passing through anyway.
>>
>>1251440
thanks a lot mate!
>>1252535
Because I'm from Germany, I can always be "fast" in Denmark. The focus is on Norway.
>>
>>1249086
>5. Trolltunga

Count on spending the whole day on that, we drove from Bergen 8am and didn't get back until 3am. Unless you want to spend the night in Odda that is, would save you 6 hours of travel time.
>>
>>1252622
>Odda
thanks! I am planing 2 Days for Trolltunga. We want to stay there over night.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.