[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time flying alone.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: dotonbori.jpg (820KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
dotonbori.jpg
820KB, 1600x1068px
I'm 25 and haven't been abroad in 15 years. In one month from now I'm flying to Japan on my own for two weeks. I'm pretty terrified of failing anything or something going very wrong. Does anyone have any advice on how to overcome this, and as a side note any tips for a first-time Japan visitor would be appreciated too.
>>
File: kansai.jpg (131KB, 820x563px) Image search: [Google]
kansai.jpg
131KB, 820x563px
I hope this doesn't die
>>
>>1248746
Plan, check where you are going to stay and how much everything costs so you don't run out of money, besides that I heard japan it's pretty safe.
>>
>>1248807
To what kind of extent would I need to be familar with the roadmarkings and such, if you know? I'm staying in a capsule hotel.

I'm going to plan as much as I can do though, thanks.
>>
>>1248746

Okay, to start off with it's been about 10 years since I last been in japan for more than a month and the last time I was there it was for a period of about 7-maybe-eight years. If you can speak the language you're perfect as long as you keep your head about you. Be polite and the locals will be polite back so forth and so on.

Going from the bottom:

Road markings: Major roads and most of the smaller side roads in the major population areas such as Tokyo has Romanji beneath the typical Katakana/Hiragana/whatever. So if you can read and comprehend the written English text you can get around quite fine. First time I lived in Japan I was six years old and was able to find places wonderfully on my bike. You as an adult will be fine.

Hell if you want use google maps and drop that little dude onto the streets to get a street level idea as to what you'll be seeing.

Tips: I would recommend you google the area you're heading to and try to find the places you'll be interested in going to. Look up the public rail\bus system so you can have an idea which line to purchase tickets for. If I remember correctly the majority of train stations has a ticketing booth with someone there so if you can say the name of the nearest station to your destination you can get your tickets. Don't expect them to speak English. For the life of me I can't remember if the automated ticketing booths charge per stops you travel through or what.

Rarely used the bus cause they always seemed to be worst than riding the rails but having fifty USD on hand in small amounts would be best. Again look it up for yourself to be sure as this is coming off the top of my head from my time from 10 years ago.

A thing to remember about the public transportation...they stop running about 10 PM (2200 Hours) I think it might have changed since I left.

If you're worried about getting lost in Tokyo and stumble across a gate guard for one of the many US military bases ask for directions.
>>
>>1248746
You will likely get over that fear the moment you hit the ground at your destination, I get pre-trip anxiety before i solo travel as well.

All you need for a safe fun holiday is to make sure you have a passport, visa if you need one, you have hotels/accomidation and you have enough money to eat and enjoy yourself.

It can be helpful to know where your nearest embassy is if you get in to trouble go there but it's Japan so you're unlikely to have any problems if you obey the law and don't start trouble.
>>
>>1248945
I will point out that street addresses in Japan take some getting used to. Building numbers are not sequential along the street, but, I think, in order of construction. Google maps has the numbers.
>>
File: IMG_20160918_182422954.jpg (6MB, 4008x5344px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160918_182422954.jpg
6MB, 4008x5344px
>>1248746
did the same thing last year, IT WAS AMAZING AMA
>>
Never been to Japan myself, but here's a general travelling tip:
If you have a bank that can change your currency into Yen before the trip, you should definitely do that and bring some cash, because you never know when you have a chance to use your credit card. You shouldn't make the assumption that your credit card will work everywhere, because it won't.
Also, if you have enough money and basic Japanese skills, there should be nothing to be afraid of (other than murder, etc.).
>>
I'm heading there in a month too. I've been a few times though.

>>1248809

> I'm staying in a capsule hotel.

Learn the etiquette in advance. That'll save pissing off tired Japanese businessmen. I usually stay in capsule hotels.

Get a Japanese sim card if you can, google maps will help a lot.
>>
File: IMG_20170516_212807.jpg (3MB, 3480x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170516_212807.jpg
3MB, 3480x4640px
Dude, I'm doing that right now. 27 first time traveling alone and first time to Japan.
Some tips, if you do not speak the language don't bother improving for this month. Instead get your Hira/katakana up to snuff for reading. Make sure you know how to get WiFi. I got a WiFi box at the airport, my phone has duel sim so that was not a possibility. It costs me 100 Euro for 2 weeks, but Google maps is my lifeline.
It's great to know that you can just wander around without getting lost.
Bring cash and a wallet that can hold coins.
Have an aesthetic picture from late asakusa.
>>
>>1249197
he can buy a 2 week rail pass that will let him go on most of the trains for free, if he plans on travelling by rail a lot.

(I even was able to take the shinkansen to hokkaido for free)
>>
File: 1494538523631.jpg (1MB, 2048x1357px) Image search: [Google]
1494538523631.jpg
1MB, 2048x1357px
>>1250077
meant for
>>1248945
>>
>>1248746
I have never rented a pocket wifi or sim card and did just fine with my iphone.
There's enough wifi spots to connect to in the city that renting those things are pointless. You can also download Japan Wi-Fi app to connect to more spots.
Take a photo or screenshot of common phrases to use and when you need to use them, just show the person.
Dont be afraid to ask people in english for directions. There's help desks at big stations with english speakers.
Buy a pasmo/suica card and load it with $50 bucks worth, theyre like $5. It's like a visa gift card but you can use it at convenience stores, vending machines, trains, buses, just by tapping your card against their pad. You can buy it from the ticket machine at any station. This way you dont have to keep pulling out change to pay.
>>
Are you by any change travelling to osaka?
>>
>>1250022
Same story here down to the age
I'm actually at the airport now
>>
>>1249197
The address system in Japan is some arcane science. Thank God they often put up area maps with all this x-chome n-banchi bullshit marked.
Still, by far the best option is to just find a map with the PoI marked and save it/remember when to turn from an actually named street.
>>
File: 05.18.jpg (7MB, 4592x3056px) Image search: [Google]
05.18.jpg
7MB, 4592x3056px
KYOTO KIYOMIZUDERA
>>
>>1250184
Made a thread on /v/ yesterday because I was in Akihabara. 2 anons that live in Japan came for a meet up.
Didn't know what to expect, but we had a fun evening playing some arcade games and having gyudon and curry
>>
>>1250549
Kyoto was definitely my favorite city.
>>
Take loads of xanax

smuggled some onto a 14hr flight recently and it was great, had a couple of beers and some wine to potentiate it, was still so high when I landed I don't remember going through customs
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.