[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going to Greece in 5 Days

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: index.jpg (13KB, 277x182px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
13KB, 277x182px
>26(withGf)
>Going to Greece (crete, Malia) in 5 days. I'm expecting a total shit show of young bits and pool parties
>What "hidden" parts of crete can i go see?
thanks
>>
Should clarify, am Canadian.
>>
>>1248558
Why would that make a difference to us?
>>
>>1248558
Do you really think that matters?
>>
>>1248558
umm why the fuck are you telling us this ?
>>
>>1248556
It depends on the kind of vacation you want to have. You didn't say how many days you are staying.

A general rule is to avoid places where you see (a lot of) tourists.

Crete is a BIG island and you CAN'T see it all in one go. Even greeks haven't seen it all. If you like archaelogy, visit Phaistos. South Crete is the most beautiful part of it but it is difficult to get there. I wouldn't recommend you renting a car, because the roads are basically goat trails and cretans drive like (or actually are) drunkards. I would suggest to take the bus (KTEL) and go wherever. Visit Chania and Rethymno. Around Chania you'll find the best beaches.
>>
>>1249036
Sorry, should clarify
Going for 8 days
The GF wants to rent a car and go to Chania for a night because things to do etc
Any places I should see on the way?
>>
>>1248761
>>1248765
>>1249016
Don't bust his balls anons. Nothing wrong with posting where you're from.
>>
Malia is hardly Greece, let alone Crete. Young brits puking everywhere etc. You will definitely have to take a few day trips if you want to properly explore the island.

Now Malia is on the Central-Eastern part of Crete so going to Chania (west) might take a bit too long. Do not underestimate distances since the roads tend to be anything but straight and flat, and driving can be dangerous. I recommend taking a bus instead of renting wherever possible. On the road to Chania you'll probably pass through Heraklion and Rethymno, two bigger cities of the island. Knossos is the #1 historical site and it's not far off Malia either. What you may not like is that the northern coast is oriented towards mass tourism.

I suggest trying to reach either east of western edges of the island, or the southern coast since they're much more picturesque. Also lots of mountains and gorges. You say you want hidden parts, but there is a broad spectrum between drunk slags partying and spots not even locals have heard of.
>>
>>1249090
Totally open to day trips.
Been to Greece 3 times before (Athens,kos,ios)
We heard that chania is better located on the island for nice places to see
Are the roads really that bad? I have driven through turkey before and that was a nightmare, comparable?
Any one desintation on Crete that you would recommend?
>>
>>1249102
ATTENTION! I REPEAT:
DON'T DRIVE. Take the bus and chill. Crete and driving don't mix for you civilized foreigners.

I would recommend to stay in Chania and go anywhere else you like. Malia is the most touristic place in Crete. You see more tourists than greeks there.
>>
>>1249116
What's so special about driving there compared with the rest of Greece?
>>
>>1249194

Lots of mountains, unpredictable turns on the road, narrow lanes, and above all Cretans be crazy. They can be speeding and overtaking and slowing down without giving a fuck, and if you piss them off they casually carry AK47s.

btw have you driven in other parts of Greece since you been there? Particularly the islands, to have an idea of their roads and their condition.
>>
Uhm, haven't driving in Greece but I have driven all through turkey, is it much different?
>>
>>1249036
>>1249116
>>1249284
honestly, kek
>>
>>1249284
As someone who has been to Crete several times I agree wholeheartedly with this post. Cretans are insane drivers. Literally insane. I drove every time I've been there but have had too many close calls. Not worth it desu.

Malia is absolutely a cancerous tumour on the beautiful Island of Crete. I stopped for a night there once while travelling through Crete and it was absolutely worse than anything you could imagine. I don't even want to get into it. There is a city close to Malia though called Hersonissus that it 1000 times better in every way. So maybe go there it's I think a 15 euro cab ride.

It's far from Malia but Elafonisi beach is probably the nicest beach I've seen in my life. But it'll take you a good 5 hours driving to it. The terrain and roads are fucking hectic getting to it. I did it. But again I'm a pretty crazy driver myself.

Overall like the other anon said crete is massive and can't all be seen in one go. I've been 4 times and still haven't seen it all.
>>
>>1251006

Elafonissi is overrated as fuck and takes hours to drive to, plus it's catered for tourists so you lose all the Greek charm.

Crete is an amazing place for exploring, lad. My friend and I found a small beach at the foot of a tiny dusty Road and we had it all to ourselves. Don't get lampooned by tourist traps.
>>
Is it worth it taking the boat from Heraklion to Santorini for a day trip?
>>
>>1252912

If you've never been to Santorini, it's worth it all, but you should make sure you get to see the island during daytime and sunset, as cliche as it might sound.
>>
>>1253036
I've heard Santorini has a reputation for being a hotspot for gays. Bad idea to go there as a straight guy traveling alone?
>>
>>1253089

Mykonos is the one that's most gay friendly, and seriously no, it's not as if the whole island is a gay bar where people will force themselves inside your anus. It's just a result of the place being sexually liberated; there are plenty of hot women around as well.

But again that's mostly Mykonos, and it's not an interesting place to experience on your own unless you're looking for hookups of any kind. Santorini is much different and has lots of places to go that do not involve socializing.

Such a silly question Anon.
>>
>>1248558
Good thing you are not on /pol/
>>
>>1249102
Crete gets greener the more west you go. East part is pretty dry.
I definitely recommend to get a rental car. Buses will slow you down enormously. The roads - especially east-west direction are good. You won't see gravel roads between the cities. Especially the section between Hersonissos and Heraklion is pretty modern.

I really recommend Chania. Probaby worth to stay the night.
Nice beaches can be found between Rethymnon and Chania - the highway is along the beach so just stop where you like.
>>
>>1253036
You can stay at Kamari beach and take the bus to Oia. It's cheaper and the beach is gorgeous.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.