[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sad travelling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: thats me, opie.jpg (18KB, 450x426px) Image search: [Google]
thats me, opie.jpg
18KB, 450x426px
Hey anon, I need a suggestion.

TL;DR: do you think I might enjoy traveling solo after breaking up my seven-year-old relationship with my girlfriend? I mean completely on my own.

I broke with her just a couple of months ago. In the whole seven years we've been together, we only managed to go on a few trips not far from we live, initially because she couldn't afford expensive travels and later because of a sick relative of hers whom she wouldn't feel like "abandoning" for a long time (mostly, she's never been very prone to spend money in travels).

I'm still a bit shocked from breaking up with her, but a part of me feels greatly relieved and can't wait to pack bags and leave for one of my dreamed destinations.

For instance, I've been dreaming to go back to Paris (inb4 le isis meme) since last time I've been there, more than 10 years ago. I loved the city, and being an architecture and engineering enthusiast I would love to just walk around, visit the most peculiar metro stations, hang by the Défense district...
I always fantasized about getting there with her, walking around hand in hand, enjoying the views together, but thinking about it in a rational way, I don't think she would have enjoyed that like I would have done instead, at all.

So, it seems like I can finally get there and make my fantasy come true, but I'm afraid I could suddenly find myself missing her so badly that I would completely destroy my vacation.

What is your experience anon? Have you ever intentionally planned a trip while being in a sad period of your life?

Please note that my purpose is not to get there to find myself a new gf, or to forget about her or "change life". I would just answer to an urge I've been having for a long time. Also, sorry for my possibly funny English, not a native speaker.
>>
>>1248049
>having a girlfriend for 7 years

jeez, not even marriages last that long. should have broken up along time ago. nice 7 year time travel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p978u4r-q4c
>>
>>1248049
I'm doing the same thing, going to Monza in September for the grand prix by myself. I've always wanted to go to a F1 race, probably something I wouldn't have done if I was still in a relationship.

There's nothing wrong with solo travelling, you get to do whatever you want without having to agree or compromise, you can go at your own pace, you can see the sights or just sit in a bar or cafe and just watch the world go by.

If you think you'll just be thinking of her the whole time, maybe pick somewhere new and start fresh. If you do meet another girl you might not have the chance to go to Paris again and you'll be thinking what if.
>>
>>1248049
Don't go to Paris OP. You will definitely get depressed and it will ruin your vacation.
Go somewhere fun and enjoy yourself on a beach or something. Paris can wait and it will we be a much better experience once you've gotten over her.
>>
OP I would definitely travel if I were you.

I've been in a relationship for 4 years and I am getting such strong urges to go on a long backpacking trip. Long term traveling (3+ months) looks so fucking cool to me, but that sounds terrible to my GF.

tl;dr my gf is ruining my dreams, and I dont want to be in a relationship anymore but im too much of a pussy to end it
>>
>>1248061
>If you think you'll just be thinking of her the whole time, maybe pick somewhere new and start fresh. If you do meet another girl you might not have the chance to go to Paris again and you'll be thinking what if.
I can't exactly understand what do you mean. You're telling me that I should avoid going to Paris because I could make memories about missing her, and then I couldn't go back there with another girl since I would think back to those memories?

>>1248063
I'm afraid you're right. Also, I always wanted to get back to Paris in Autumn, since I just love the season. Might allow myself some more time to think about it before booking the trip.

>>1248065
Actually, I did experiment travelling alone last month. I went innawoods near a place I know, and I reached sites I would only dream about if I still were with her (she was definitely not into trekking). At that time I felt exhilarated, but when I came back home I cried, thinking about what it would have been like to share those moments of joy with her at my side.

Dunno, man. Maybe >>1248061 is right, if I got him correctly. Maybe I should try to go somewhere else just to "practice enjoying being alone". The point is that I don't have anywhere else in mind other than Paris.
>>
>>1248084
I reread your post and it sounds like you went to Paris 10 years ago before you were in a relationship? I was thinking you wanted to go back to Paris but you'd just think about your time together with your ex.

>You're telling me that I should avoid going to Paris because I could make memories about missing her, and then I couldn't go back there with another girl since I would think back to those memories?

What I meant in my first post was you mightn't have the opportunity to go to Paris again, you said in your OP that your ex didn't travel far or spend a lot on travel, you could meet the next girl of your dreams and she mightn't have the funds or whatever to travel. It was more practical advice rather than emotional advice. On the plus side if you do go to Paris by yourself, you'll know where to go and what to do, and if you go again with your new girlfriend, you can impress her and make yourself sound romantic by "travelling to Europe to soul search".

I wouldn't practice enjoying being alone, rather make the most of being alone.

What are your interests? Where are you from?
>>
Once you meet people, especially girls, you will have a great time. Just don't go there and do everything totally on your own from a hotel or something like that - that would be lonely for anyone, but for you right now it would be pretty awful.

I'd highly recommend going somewhere that you can hook up easily - Southeast Asia especially, or somewhere in Latin America if you speak spanish well. Getting a local fling to show you around and fuck you at night is the best to get over someone.
>>
>>1248087
Oh, ok, I see. No, I've never been there with her, but I always wanted to, hoping that she would enjoy it the same way I would.

>What are your interests? Where are you from?
I'm from Italy, I study civil engineering and I'm a huge fanatic of railways/metros and modern architecture. The first and only time I went to Paris I was a teenager and the entire city left me flabbergasted: I loved everything, the metros, the science museum, the peaceful suburb where I stayed, the large boulevards, the Ile de la Cité, the Hotel de Ville, the fucking Eiffel Tower, Montmartre, and still there's a lot I've yet to see.
I think I would also enjoy Budapest, Barcelona or Valencia but, I don't know, they don't attract me like Paris does.

>I wouldn't practice enjoying being alone, rather make the most of being alone.
Right, I was thinking a bit more like this rather than what I actually wrote.

>>1248089
I'm not that rich, from where I live I could fly to and stay in any major European city for about 400€ (3-4 days). That's a sum I could afford, but no more. Also I'm extremely introverted so I wouldn't be comfortable into making friends with complete strangers.
>>
>>1248095
How about Berlin? I loved it; lots to do and see, quite cheap, there's great beer gardens and plenty of good walking spots. It's not a romantic city, which may be a positive or negative thing. I preferred it over Valencia but that experience was marred by a 4 hour drive at 5am and only a one night stay.

To me it sounds like you have your mind set on Paris, I'd start planning the trip now and maybe book a hotel with free cancellation. I booked my flights for Milan in January, and got a hotel with free cancellation, gave me something to look forward to.

>Also I'm extremely introverted so I wouldn't be comfortable into making friends with complete strangers.
I'm totally the same. I'd probably be good friends with lots of other introverts but I don't want to make the first move.
>>
>>1248065
Holy fuck are you me? EXACTLY the same situation, but I have actually picked up my balls and started to end it. Shes moved out temporarily so I have 'space to think'. Will be ending it finally in a week or two.

Then I'm going to turn my dreams into reality. No longer will the thought of leaving things behind be fantasy.

Just know this, the only thing stopping your fantasy becoming real is you.

JUST DO IT.

>>1248049
Also, OP, isis meme isn't a meme. You will be depressed when you see the amount of African and muslims in Paris. Its ridiculous and I will never go back.
>>
>>1248049
yeha not bc you are sad but bc you will get another gf on the rebound and then you won't travel, you have to do it while you are free
>>
>>1248101
I'll think about it, my parents went them some years ago and they loved it too. The problem is that I've been dreaming of Paris for too long, I'm afraid I wouldn't enjoy going somewhere else before.

Anyways, I made a quick search on Airbnb and Kayak to find out how much it would cost me to stay there 4 days in September: not refundable flight + 3 nights in a decent studio apartment just outside the city center + transportation = less than 250€. Plus I'm 25 so I suppose I would benefit from discounts on many museum tickets. Fun fact: the two flights would cost me a total 60€, but if I were to buy the refundable ones I would pay literallly three times that.

I then began wondering that maybe something big could happen in the meantime, like my ex-gf changing her mind and begging me to come back with her (not impossible, though unlikely), or some big happening like a french 9/11.

So I did a new search looking at the middle of June... And found out that the prices are roughly the same (but with limited availability, so I should hurry booking). I'm really stirred now, I would book right now but since I'm not sure of her state of mind I don't know if I'm doing the right thing and I'm risking losing a lot of money (for my standards). Fuck.

>>1248150
Who said that, if I will ever do again something that stupid like getting a(nother) gf, I will pick one that doesn't crave travelling?
>>
>>1248049
>>1248061
>>1248063
>>1248150
Wow, a lot of neutered guys on this board. I'm in a 10+ year relationship and have travelled by myself as has my girlfriend. We don't care as long as the other's safe. I guess trust goes a long way.

You'll be fine assuming a couple of things: going at the height of post-breakup depression will mean you'll feel the same ups and downs just in a different place which might affect how to the trip feels to you. I'd recommend going once the worst has passed. Other than that, travelling by yourself is perfectly fine. Assuming you really wish to visit the place and plan a bit (where you'd like to go) to keep yourself busy, you'll have a blast. Plus, travelling gives good opportunities to meet new people. Just start a conversation with someone on the plane or ask other tourists to take your picture. You'll have a nice conversation going in no-time.

>>1248141
Paris does have a lot of Nigerians (I'll just use that N-word instead of the other) and gypsies. They're annoying as fuck, but the food's still nice and the sights pretty. Plus, assuming you dress normally (as in: like a local) and walk confidently by yourself, you should have little trouble. They always target the easily visible tourists (which includes couples strolling hand in hand).
>>
Go to some other place, OP. Paris is expensive and kind of a shithole, nightlife is not good either.

Go to Barcelona or Berlin or Budapest. Stay in a hostel, make friends, enjoy life.
>>
>>1248049
Why travel when you could do something good at a different country. Apply as a volonteer, help some people, do something good.

You will feel much more better and you get to know another country + it's people.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.