[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tr

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 13

File: bucket_PNG7777.png (1MB, 1536x1627px) Image search: [Google]
bucket_PNG7777.png
1MB, 1536x1627px
I'm seeking a bit of travel inspiration, so I thought maybe we could each contribute 3-5 places/events/activities that are on your bucket list - maybe you've already ticked them off, maybe you're looking forward to ticking them off in the future. If possible, try to find a nice photo too, for added inspiration. I'll start with a few.
>>
File: index2.jpg (925KB, 1691x1123px) Image search: [Google]
index2.jpg
925KB, 1691x1123px
Enjoying the great outdoors in the Canadian Rockies
>>
File: index.jpg (758KB, 990x660px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
758KB, 990x660px
Running of the bulls in San Fermin, Spain
>>
File: index4.jpg (209KB, 990x743px) Image search: [Google]
index4.jpg
209KB, 990x743px
Holi festival in India
>>
File: index3.jpg (2MB, 2000x1273px) Image search: [Google]
index3.jpg
2MB, 2000x1273px
Getting drunk at Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany
>>
File: index5.png (383KB, 601x332px) Image search: [Google]
index5.png
383KB, 601x332px
Taking ayahuasca in the South American Amazon
>>
Bump?
>>
>>1248055
That looks like a nightmare
>>
>>1248429
To me as well, but different folks like different things.
>>
>>1248047
If you hear the words "Galapagos Islands," and any part of you goes 'Wow! That would be worth seeing!" then you need to save up the money and get there. The wildlife and the history makes it mind-blowing to be there.

Some folks might not get the rush-- in which case, skip it, as it is not cheap. But it's the most amazing place I've ever been.
>>
File: turkmenistan_crater.jpg (71KB, 634x317px) Image search: [Google]
turkmenistan_crater.jpg
71KB, 634x317px
I want to see Turkmenistan before they close the famous gates of hell crater. You can only go there as part of a guided tour, so it takes some arranging.
>>
File: IMG_8598-3.jpg (404KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8598-3.jpg
404KB, 720x480px
>>1248554
While you're in that part of the world:

Drive the pamir mountain range passing by the wakhan valley in Tajikstan, very underrated and seriously one of my best trips ever
>>
>>1248763
Is that part of the world dangerous at all for westerners? As in, do you have to take any precautions you wouldn't have to take in most other countries?
>>
>>1249125
The only '-Stan' country considered dangerous is Afghanistan. (Someone's going to reply to this post saying Pakistan should be on that list; from what I hear it has an undeserved reputation)
Every other central Asian country is perfectly safe.
>>
File: 43537899.jpg (52KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
43537899.jpg
52KB, 640x427px
Top three things on my bucket list that I have accomplished:
>Musandam peninsula
>Mauritania's iron ore train
>Done multiple of the Great Walk hikes in New Zealand

Bucket list items I have yet to do:
>Kel-Suu lake in Kyrgyzstan
>Skeleton Coast in Namibia
>Snorkeling in the Andaman Islands, nudibranch capital of the world
>>1248554
Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a big disappointment? Photos of it in the daytime look like a big hole with a couple things burning in it. Worth seeing if it's near some other interesting stuff maybe, but I don't think it is.
>>
>>1249130
Do you have any photos/stories about any and all of those places? I've not heard of most of them, and rather than just Google them, it could be interesting to hear it straight from the mouth of someone who has it on their bucket list.
>>
test
>>
>>1249127

>from what I hear it has an undeserved reputation

It's definitely a well deserved reputation.

Several large scale Islamist insurgencies currently & in the past, parts of the country currently in warfare (FATA), Baloch insurgency, several no go cities for westerners due to high kidnapping threat (Peshawar, Darra), boarders one of the most dangerous and in stable countries in the world, government constantly in turmoil of some kind, highly corrupt, many harsh rules for minor crimes (most religious related like blasphemy), lots of very anti western Pashtuns, some of the highest levels of Islamic extremism, lots of bombings in the past etc.

Trust me, its not a safe country by any measure, it can be visited without incident, but the chances of you running into trouble there is much, much higher than say neighbouring India, Iran or China.
>>
File: musandam1.jpg (50KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
musandam1.jpg
50KB, 720x960px
>>1249146
Sure. Oman as a whole has /trv/'s official stamp of approval as a fairy-tale destination, but Musandam is exceptional; better than Yosemite, better than any fjords I've ever seen. I was there with my girlfriend.
>Take ferry from Muscat to Khasab
>Bushwhack from Khasab to a tiny village on the coast, accessible only by boat
>Omani government gifted all the villagers with condos in the city, so the only inhabitants are Pakistani expats who live there because it's free
>We were half-dead with dehydration at that point; Paki bros take care of us, feed us and insist we sleep in their squat house with them
>Take us in boat back to civilization the next day; absolutely refuse any payment
Next day:
>Want to go on boat tour of fjords but the tour companies are trashy and expensive
>Go down to fishermen's dock and ask fisherman to take us to a secluded beach and pick us up the next day
>Yeah, no problem
>He takes us to a private beach miles from anything, then leaves us
>Tour companies have left garbage on the beach from their stupid BBQs, so we spend a couple hours cleaning it, stuffing litter in bags until beach is spotless
>Coral reef around beach is one of the best I've ever seen, wish we'd had snorkel equipment
>Hike up to top of mountain hunting for snakes and lizards
>Perseid meteor shower is happening that night
>Make love on the beach
>Fisherman takes us back to Khasab next morning, happily pay him $50

I snapped this photo from the plane. Our beach was adjacent to the small island on the center left.
>>
File: SAM_2961.jpg (649KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2961.jpg
649KB, 2000x1500px
>>1249146
As for the iron ore train, it was interesting. I've written before about how it's no more or less than you want it to be -- I guess I'd compare it to the Camino de Santiago in that way. I was an Africa newbie, which made just getting to the train one of the hardest things I've ever done, and thus all the more rewarding. The train itself is an adrenaline experience; surreal and physically demanding. But Mauritania is a very welcoming country. The only thing to overcome is your own limitations and prejudices.
It's important to remember that most train-riders are native commuters who would much rather be riding in a car if they had that option.
Bottom line is it's definitely a life-changing experience, but having done it doesn't make you Indiana Jones.
>>
File: 1.jpg (66KB, 960x437px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
66KB, 960x437px
>>1249146
New Zealand is another place that can be anything you want it to be. My GF and I stayed in a hut not far from this photo during the winter. We spent three weeks reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez novels by a woodstove and chilling with Maori deer hunters when they passed by. When I'm old I'm going to remember experiences like that and weep.
>>
>>1249176
>>1249183
>>1249186
Thanks for sharing, appreciate it.
>>
>>1248052
exactly what is so cool about that?

Honestly, I always wondered
>>
File: Iceland-1024x682.jpg (182KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
Iceland-1024x682.jpg
182KB, 1024x682px
I want to go backpacking (/out/ type) in Iceland, among other things...
>>
>>1248047
hitchhiking from eu to Australia, through Pakistan
(partly 'because' of the Pakistan's reputation)
>>
>>1249153
I'm sure what you say is based in truth. Thanks for offering your perspective.
Just to present another opinion, check out this guy's facebook. He takes westerners around the Pakistani mountains on motorbikes, and his blog is dedicated to changing Pakistan's image as a tourism destination. If you believe one quarter of his stories, Pakistan seems like a dream destination. Check it out.
http://www.adifferentagenda.com/
FB: /ADifferentAgenda/
>>
>>1249719
Personally I just think it looks like a whole lot of fun. Pack the streets and release a few bulls? It's crazy, adrenaline-fulled. There's no way they'd get away with it now, but they can still do it here because it's tradition.

I think it's a nice atmosphere when people celebrate their local traditions like that, and it's nice to be a part of that. I picked >>1248055
for the same reason (>>1248461) but I accept that it might now be overrun by foreigners. That's a shame, even if it is a bit hypocritical to say that as a foreigner who wants to attend the event. The best times are when you're one of a small number of foreigners, and the locals are happy to accept you because they're proud to show you their culture.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.