[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New York

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

Ok... Going new York in 20 days.... What have i to expakt?... Nogos?....
>>
>>1247164
Get a Time Out magazine and guide. Stay out of Brownsville and East New York. Get a Metrocard.
>>
>>1247164
Are you traveling from A Clockwork Orange? WTF is your native language?
>>
>>1247799
funny

i'd like to know the answre as well
>>
Sbarro in times square has the best ny pizza.
>>
>>1248013
lol! I do like Pizza Suprema tho
>>
>>1247164
Only real decent places are Manhattan and small parts of Brooklyn. Stay out of the Bronx and Queens, full of dindus. Other than that, just get a MetroCard and hold on to your shit tightly on some trains like the A train if you plan to be travelling underground.
>>
>>1247164
Nobody pays attention to anyone else in NYC so you'll be OK if you don't act like a tourist. Tourists are oblivious and get in the way of normal day-to-day NYC buzz.

If you need directions or help navigating subway, don't be afraid to ask someone who looks halfway civilized.

Don't pay attention to bums/beggars, if you stop to talk to one or give some money you'll get swarmed.

On that note, don't talk to the guys in & around Times Square, usually trying to get you to sign up for their bus tour or come see a comedy show or any other random thing. Just ignore anyone who approaches you to sell you shit.

Get a metrocard so you can ride subway/bus to your heart's content, don't lose it because you have to pay a fee for a new card (rather than refilling an existing card)

If you like baseball go see the Yanks or Mets, you can probably score relatively cheap tix on day of the game. Yankee Stadium is in the Bronx and Citi Field is in Queens. Both are a quick subway ride from Manhattan if you take an express.
>>
File: 505AAA_1.jpg (185KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
505AAA_1.jpg
185KB, 640x1136px
I'm going to New York in the first week of June and I'm trying to make sense of the different discount passes. Is there anything in particular making a New York CityPASS better than a New York Pass or New York Explorer pass? Or can I just look at what I'm gonna visit en do some calculations?
>>
Planning to go to NYC in september with 3 buddies of mine. Would 7 days be sufficient or is it too little/too many? We found numerous 'deals' which included flights+hotel for around 1k-1.2k for 9 days (2 days flying). These hotels are located on broadway. Reckon its a good deal?
>>
>>1247164
>always take the subway
>avoid cab drivers
>if you like art museums, MoMA is worth a visit. Guggenheim isn't
>always remember to lower your expectations drastically so you will be pleasantly surprised
>go to Japan instead, food is cheaper and everything is better value
>>
>>1248336
>Only real decent places are Manhattan and small parts of Brooklyn

What are the good parts of Brooklyn? I'm moving to NYC and considering living there instead of Manhattan because I can get a nicer place in a less claustrophobic area.
>>
>>1250273
Don't listen to that guy, he's a clueless suburbanite /pol/ autist. There are good places to live in every borough.
>>
>>1250273
I would say all of Brooklyn is nice except for Brownsville and East New York, and parts of Bed Stuy maybe

Even the bad parts of Brooklyn are nowhere near as bad as the hoods of the South and Midwest
>>
>>1247164
expect a lot of advertisements...everywhere. some museums, like the MET are donation based so you can donate a buck and go in. The statue of liberty is nice but a tourist trap. 99 cent pizza is incredible and all over manhattan. The monks in the park are con men.
>>
>>1252161
but there are other interesting things in the park

one time I was at Union Square and there was a dance party.
>>
File: 08fatguy4-superJumbo.jpg (702KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
08fatguy4-superJumbo.jpg
702KB, 2048x1365px
>>1247164

What do you want to do?

Party/nightlife stuff, go to LES or Williamsburg if you have no clue and walk around. Otherwise, download an app like Wing It.

More cool/family friendly stuff are museums, central park is cool but also prospect park in brooklyn. rent a citibike and bike down from Chelsea to Tribeca. The Hudson looks pretty and there are a lot of places to stop and lay down, some bars, etc.

High line is cool

Lots of boat tours and shit where you get wrecked at sunset, some are decently priced.

NYC is endless, so I'll just tell you what not to do/where not to go and everything else is a-ok:

>NO statue of liberty it's overpriced and unbelievably gay
>NO East Brooklyn
>NO East Queens (honestly, just don't go to Queens at all)
>NO South Bronx
>NO high priced $40+ clubs (unless it's Output or The Good Room)
>NO charging bull statue, it's boring

Oh also, get an unlimited metro card, nobody's gonna steal your shit this isn't the fucking 80s, take loads of pics, eat all the dollar pizza places you can find, google rooftop bars in Manhattan because that shit is super fun and cool, and DEFINITELY download the official metro app that tells you if the trains are under construction or not running. Your night can get royally fucked if suddenly your line is down (LOOKING AT YOU, G TRAIN). Uber pool is a godsend

Oh and don't buy street coke or shit from marijuana vans, it's all fake.

Have a good time, welcome to new yaaaawwwwk
>>
File: giphy-373.gif (5MB, 250x234px) Image search: [Google]
giphy-373.gif
5MB, 250x234px
planning to go for 5 days, i want to see mostly museums. What are some tourist traps that i should avoid? also, i'm planning to stay in an airbnb, what are some good price/quality zones?
>>
>>1251582
>>1251499

Not really worried about safety, I'll be at Google so I have the money to get a place in a nice neighborhood. I just figure Brooklyn might be more of a laid-back vibe that fits me better, and I'd be able to get a nicer, less claustrophobic place.
>>
>>1252255
>No Queens

Eastern Queens isn't dangerous, just boring. Western and Central Queens are good, there is a lot of good ethnic food and possibly even good nightlife in Western Queens.

>No South Bronx
It's fine to go during the day, and there are some really good Mexican restaurants there plus Yankee Stadium

I've been curious about The Good Room though. Can you get in as a single guy or is it one of those places that requires at least a 1:1 girl guy ratio? And how is it as a club? The yelp reviews make it seem like they overuse the fog machine but they might have changed that.
>>
>>1252334

I say no Queens if it's someone who'll be staying for a limited time. Queens does have great ethnic food and some interesting stuff, but it's much too spread out for someone who doesn't know the city. I live here and I'll still get frustrated having to get anywhere in Queens. Also while Brooklyn has a very nyc vibe, Queens feels more like a small east coast city -- which is exactly why residents like it, to get out of the big city vibe. If you're a tourist, I'd expect you'd feel gypped since you're coming for the nyc experience.

South Bronx isn't going to get you in trouble, there's just nothing there that isn't provided elsewhere. The entire city has good mexican. The zoo though I've actually never been to, but I hear it's mindblowing.

As for the Good Room, personally I think Output has a better layout and music. GR has a charm that is worth it, though, and I've never had problems going in with just me or three dudes or whatever. I don't think they pay much attention to that. The fog machine is still out of control, but it's not bad, just a very foggy, ethereal vibe. That seems to be GRs concept. There are two rooms: main room with crazy fog, and a smaller room that plays slightly different music and way less foggy. It's cool and easy to go back and forth: if the main room, for example, is playing typical house, the other room is playing disco or remixed 80s. It's a breath of fresh air that you don't get too much at Output. There's also now a food truck outside selling like, black soul food sandwiches or something that seem to be popular.
>>
>>1252367
Queens is very dense and very much NYC, only Eastern Queens is vaguely suburban, but even then it's actually way more urban than the residential neighborhoods of most US cities.

Every neighborhood from Astoria to Flushing is way more urban than any residential neighborhood you would find in pretty much any other US city. I would agree that overall, Queens is probably not worth seeing if it's a short trip, except for the food.

Do you often meet chicks at GR?
>>
Planning on going to NY as well around late June. What's the cheapest place I can stay that isn't AirBNB?
>>
>>1252371

It has about the same chance as anywhere else. Unlike output in summer though, there's no rooftop or quiet section to easily talk to girls. It's more the awkward yelling over music kind of thing.
>>
>>1249981
>Would 7 days be sufficient or is it too little/too many?

You'll definitely be able to find things to do within a week. Don't feel like you're constrained to Manhattan either. Take a trip to the Bronx and walk Van Cortlandt with a slice of the best carrot cake around from Llyod's. Or marvel at the hipster central of Williamsburg after stopping in St. Anslem for an amazing meal.

>These hotels are located on broadway. Reckon its a good deal?

Broadway is an avenue that stretches all across the West side so you need to narrow it down a bit.

Honestly, I'd say go for it. You'll have as much fun as you want to and there's plenty to occupy your time.
>>
>>1252376
there's a motel in South Brooklyn that's like 94 dollars a night, it's kind of far from Manhattan though
>>
>>1252398
Many motels in the outer boroughs are $100 or so per night. Usually there is no subway there just a bus.
>>
>>1252499
What are "outer boroughs"?
>>
>>1248336
Sounds like you havent been here in 20 years. I ride the A all the time
>>
>>1252499
There actually is a subway next to this place, but it's deep in Southern Brooklyn so it would take like an hour to get to Manhattan by subway
>>1252626
He sounds like a clueless basement dwelling suburbanite
>>1252601
Every borough that's not Manhattan
>>
>>1252376
Jamaica, Queens has a few good ones. Relatively closer to Manhattan. My family and I stay at Knights Inn in New York. friendly people that work there.
>>
>>1252854
Jamaica proper to Manhattan is generally an easy commute
>>
>>1252398
I got a full-apartment AirBnB in Hell's Kitchen in Manhattan for exactly that much. The place was completely fine, just kinda small (though bigger than a normal hotel room would be).
>>
>>1248013
nice shitpost
>>
>>1252878
that sounds like a great deal, I should start using airbnb

I just wouldn't want any place I didn't have to myself
>>
>>1252255
Subway not metro.
>>
>>1252371
Queens stuff.
World's Fair site at Flushing Meadows.
Queens County Farm Museum
Museum of Moving Image
PS 1 Museum
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.