[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on traveling with an instrument?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: nickdrakefeels.png (42KB, 671x673px) Image search: [Google]
nickdrakefeels.png
42KB, 671x673px
>>
Who doesn't love a greasy-haired backpacker playing Wonderwall at every opportunity?
>>
I'm conflicted. On one hand I love playing guitar and if I go too long without feeling strings it starts to really get to me. On the other hand I don't want fuckers asking me to play and I don't wanna look like a mega douche.

I knew a dude who traveled with a uke. It was a particularly quite ukelele and even if it wasn't nobody ever asks someone to play the ukelele cuss no one wants to hear that shit.
>>
>>1247057
>and if I go too long without feeling strings it starts to really get to me.
Same anon, it helps calm my anxiety better than any drug.
>>
>that fucking dreadlocked prick with the battered acoustic
>that fucking dreadlocked prick with the ukulele

Yeah, don't be that guy.

Anyone that drags an acoustic around the world with them, especially hot/humid climates which will only warp and ruin the thing needs their head testing. As anon above said, its always some pretentious fool playing Wonderwall or fucking Ed Sheeran to try and help get himself laid.

t. Guy thats been playing for 20 years and hates not being able to practice whilst on the road but fuck the hassle of carrying the damn thing around for months
>>
depends on what you bring it for. Do you want to backpack around and try to earn some spending money on the road playing in public? Or are you "that douche with the guitar" nobody wants at their party?

if its the former, I wish you luck. if its the latter, fuck off.
>>
File: questionmar.jpg (99KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
questionmar.jpg
99KB, 640x640px
>>1247069
What's busking like abroad?
>>
>>1247053
i prefer to play an electrical guitar over an autistic one desu
>>
>>1247053
u can pick up okish guitars for as low as 60$ in USA at pawnshop. just get a crappy one when u stay in a place for a while
>>
>>1247069
>Do you want to backpack around and try to earn some spending money on the road playing in public?
Fuck these people.
>>
>>1247055
Me
>>
>>1247089
how is it?
>>
TODAY IS GONNA BE THE DAY THAT THEY'RE GOING TO THROW IT BACK TO YOU
>>
>>1247074
>he owns only acoustic guitars
faggot playing for pussy
>he owns only electric guitars
my nigga
>he owns both, and basses as well
true patrician
>>
File: 298.jpg (40KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
298.jpg
40KB, 600x600px
>>1247053
>tfw I can play saxophone quiet well
>tfw I will never be a traveling jazz saxophonist playing in the streets of Europe in order to finance my adventures because a fucking sax is way too heavy.

why live anons?
>>
>>1247191
That's a shitty excuse to be honest. If you want to do it, the wieght of the saxophone shouldn't be what stops you. Live your dream.
>>
>>1247208
my tenor sax in it's case is around 20 lb. I want to go on a backpacking trip living in a tent and such. How do you think it is physically possible to carry all that? also if it got stolen or damaged I'd hang myself.

Guess I will just learn to play the harmonica or something
>>
>>1247219
Just start lifting bro
>>
Only something small like a harmonica would be a good idea and worth taking...but it's also not a very good instrument.
>>
>>1247249
>harmonica
the most pretentious and faggy instrument u can play if you're not 75 and all sun-dried
>>
>>1247253
>>1247249
what's wrong with the harmonica? You can play some really nice blues on it. But I guess millennials don't care for that sound anymore.

also thinking that you have to be a certain age and look a certain way to play a certain instrument makes you the most pretentious fag of them all
>>
>>1247278
>complaining about millennials and talking about blues
Jesus how the fuck old are you grandpa LMFAO
>>
>>1247278
It's pretty shallow, but the person that's playing an instrument can really impact how people see it. Imagine Israel Kamakawiwoʻole playing the ukulele vs some 15 year old girl who watches stephen universe. It makes a big difference in how we perceive music.
>>
>>1247283
yeah you are right it is shallow. And if you judge music by anything else but the sound you are a dimwit.
>>
>>1247280
kill yourself.
>>
>>1247285
You wish pops but who else will support your leeching boomer ass
>>
>>1247287
>implying I am old just because I am open to music that is older then 5 years and isn't advertised by pitchfork or anthony fagtano
>actually believing a baby boomer is browsing this forum for Indonesian shadow puppetry
>implying our generation isn't the most entitled and non contributing shitshow in history
>inb4 le wrong generation

I didn't say I was any better. But honestly just kill yourself idiot.
>>
>>1247284
I don't know if you're this guy >>1247191 , but if you're performing on the street looks are very important. You don't need to be beautiful, but looking authentic will make you more money, it's as simple as that.
>>
>>1247289
Oh so you're a gen z cuckboy? Someone ban this underage faggot
>>
>>1247291
I am a mid 20 shitposter just like you and most everyone on this website
>>
>>1247290
yeah the money part is probably true, but only narrow minded people connect an instrument to a certain type of character. Also subverting expectations can generate a lot of interest. Like a small girl playing a big ass baritone sax
>>
File: P_20170510_042128.jpg (253KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170510_042128.jpg
253KB, 576x1024px
lot of RealTravelers(TM) and RealGuitarists(TM) in this thread

If you want to travel with a guitar, do so. You want to play wonderall and arctic monkeys songs? Great, do that too. It's nice to express yourself with music. I'll never understand elitist guitarists who are like so totally tired of hearing people play basic inane meme songs on guitar.
Wow, you can bust out a phrygian dominant arpeggio at lightning speed.

You know what's way more fun? Show that guy playing wonderwall the Am pentatonic in like 5 mintues of your time and then take turns noodling over a 1 3 5 progression for fun BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT ITS FOR FUN YOU FUCKING PLEB

disdain.jpeg

Anyway I just replaced my yamaha c40 (perfect cheap traveling guitar) in italy, usually I can afford to pick up a new guitar <200 USD in whichever country I'm in. Gave the last two away before flying out.

Some things to remember
-always massively detune before getting on a flight, I don't know why but science shit happens and the strings break if you leave it tuned at 40000ft

-if you're catching a bus line in EU like flixbus you have to call in advance with your ticket number and pay an extra 10 euro or so to be allowed to bring a gat in a case on board

-strings in india and southeast asia generally suck, stock up on quality strings when you can

-don't take an expensive guitar with you, it's going to get fucked up by the airline anyway so be ready to accept dings. Buy a quality nylon hard case, one of those firm ones, not an actual hard hard case

pic related
>>
>>1247300
Any tips for finding people to play music with abroad?
>>
>>1247303
I'll generally ask buskers if I'm in a place where people speak english even a little. Meetup.com can be okay, but for some reason the people who use that tend to be kale shake drinking faggots that don't like fun for some reason

In non english speaking countries ill find somewhere with live music and talk to the band after the set. Works great in places like thailand, just find somewhere like rambuttri and speak to musos after a set they're usually good for a jam
>>
>>1247072
anyone?
>>
>>1247057
>On the other hand I don't want fuckers asking me to play and I don't wanna look like a mega douche.

Don't worry about that anon, nobody will ask you to play because nobody gives a shit about you in the first place, hell it would be even better not to play the instrument
>>
>>1247219
fucking dyel
>>
>>1247088
any experience doing this? i think it might help a little with thr expenses if you do it in first world countries, i thought about singing some mexican songs while back packing europe since seems like latins are well perceived
>>
>>1247053
I'm a reasonably serious amateur guitarist, who like most of us has also messed around with some other instruments . Have played in multiple bands, I have played for money more than a few times, but I have never wanted to attempt making a living at it. I have traveled internationally with an instrument only when I have purchased something abroad and decided to bring it home. Flying with guitars if you don't have a great case (or, for fantasy's sake, the money to pay for a second seat) is a hassle. It's been at least a decade since any broke-ass, penny-pinching airline would let someone sneak a guitar on board as a carry on. Even when the airlines don't stop you, every one of your fellow passengers hates you, with good reason.

You know your situation better than any of us do, obviously, but my generic reaction to the situation would be to buy an instrument locally if you can. The only reason I can think of that would justify the hassle of bringing an instrument on an international flight would be if you were a professional musician, or were really hoping to be able to make money off of it while you were traveling. I think even the majority of skilled buskers would be better off buying something locally.
>>
A recent flight I was on I couldn't use the storage bin because some fuckwit had put a violin (out of case) and a giant teddy bear in there
>>
>>1247684
s-sorry about that
>>
>>1247064
I brought a cordoba mini m nylon string with me to india. I just play in my room or sometimes on the balcony. Its been no hassle. Just joy
>>
>>1247053
It's fun as hell. Do it. Don't be a douchebag, though.
>>
>>1247628
no, we have them already. you need to find something new, the people here give good money for new ideas. make a show while you sing, use a costume or some shit. don't just stand there and sing your ethno songs like the other 100000000000 beggars in the bigger cities.
>>
>>1247053
Always take a piano with you, especially if doing SEA on a motorcycle.
>>
File: 1492296317869.jpg (74KB, 357x357px) Image search: [Google]
1492296317869.jpg
74KB, 357x357px
>>1247191
>>1247208
You know nothing

>5th grade
>we get to pick instruments to learn in band program
>pick tuba bc I am big and "lol hur dur it's huge and funny"
>play through middle and high school
>will never get to play again because a tuba or sousaphone costs as much as a nice used car
>will never have a practical instrument I can carry with me and sing with
>girls just think playing tuba is funny

I did have some fun times playing music in the crowds at football games though
>>
>>1248742
Did you ever try playing a smaller brass instrument?
I suppose the "sing with" still wouldn't work.

As a former saxophonist myself, I sometimes carry a pennywhistle with me.
>>
File: 1362283633934.png (11KB, 157x151px) Image search: [Google]
1362283633934.png
11KB, 157x151px
>>1247057
>if I go too long without feeling strings it starts to really get to me
sorry bro, you're a faggot
>>
>>1248742
>>1248772
Yeah, the skills you learned in playing the tuba should transfer to other brass instruments to some extent. I learned how to play the banjo first and it transferred well into the mandolin.
>>
>>1248735
>>
>>1248772
>>1248777
I only know how to play bass clef, but I might try trumpet. When I would mess around with someone else's trumpet I could never make any good sound, I'm just too used to a mouth piece that is 3-4 times the size. I guess since learning trumpet would mean entirely new reading and playing skills I might just learn some other instrument. What's something simple, cheap, and respectable? Please no guitar or ukulele ...I've tried but my fingers are too big to play.
>>
File: t3_4haew4.gif (604KB, 480x678px) Image search: [Google]
t3_4haew4.gif
604KB, 480x678px
>>1248773
Nah it's therapeutic. Like, I may be shit at everything else but I've spent enough time playing string instruments to be confident in my ability in them. Even if everything around me is different being able to play my instrument is soothing because I'm comfortable with it. I'm sure everyone has something like that, be it video games or exercise or drawing.
>>
>>1248938
I'd be a bit surprised if your fingers are larger than Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's fingers were, but there is no arguing if you had problems with ukuklele. I gave up ocarina because my variation in finger lengths made it hard to cover the holes without contortions.

I find penny whistle is pretty easy, cheap, and transportable. I think concertina is the best easily transportable instrument, but they aren't cheap, and I don't know how hard they to learn.
>>
>>1248938
I guess the mandolin would be even harder to play with big fingers, but it's cheap simple and respectable. I love it.
>>
>>1249232
>>1249196
What do you two think of Violin or Viola? I've always enjoyed the sound of a fiddle but again I don't know about playing with my big fingers.
>>
>>1249263
Shit, I don't know anything about that stuff
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.