[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Being a Healthcare Traveler is the GOAT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: medtrv.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
medtrv.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Hey guys, not here to shill for my company or anything but wanted to share my experience with those who are just starting to college, looking to change their career, or want a good work/travel balance.

There are quite a few healthcare staffing agencies that hire Healthcare/Medical Travelers. These Travelers are typically consist of: RN (nurse), PT (Physical Therapy), OT (Occupational Therapist), and SLP (Speech-Language Pathologist). If you want to know more about these professions, Google them, but they are all more or less fairly quick degrees, guaranteed employment, and good pay. Personally, I am an OT and went to uni for 5 years.

Anyway these companies will pretty much hire you no matter what unless you have a felony or some crazy shit like that. You are assigned a 'recruiter' who is basically the liaison between you and hospitals/clinics all over the country that need temporary help (typically 3 months).

You tell your recruiter where you want to go (you will nee to get your professional license in whichever states you plan to go to) and what types of settings you want to work in (acute/subacute/SNF/home health...etc.) and they submit you to openings that match your preferences. Those hospitals/clinics contact you and give you their offers and you pick your favorite and you're off to your assignment. Most companies will reimburse you for your licensing and travel costs.

Once you're setup with your assignment, your company either sets you up with housing or they give you a bunch of money per week and you figure it out on your own (I do AirBnB/cl/hostels). You also get a meals & incidentals stipend (I currently get $550 and $250 per week, respectively). You also get a base pay per week from the clinic/hospital you are contracted with. This varies depending on location, type of setting, level of skill required, and your level of experience. (Mine is currently $1350/week).

About halfway through your current assignment.......cont'd below...
>>
...your company will contact you to plan your next assignment and get that set up.

Once your current assignment ends, you will head out to your next assignment.

This is where it gets even better. In between assignments, you can take extra time off. Most people typically do 1-2 weeks but you can do longer if you want. I use this as an opportunity to do a roadtrip from my current location to the next and see lots of attractions and state/national parks along the way.

In short, I make about $100k as a new grad out of college with 5 years of schooling and I get to travel wherever I want in the US all subsidized by my employer and I get to take an extra long vacation/road trip every 3 months.

Feel free to ask questions!
>>
Can you do this while being a med student, currently in 4th year in U. De Chile.
To which countries have you been assigned?
Which agencies have you used?

Cheers.
>>
>>1246444
The type of agency I work with is strictly US, but they let you travel all over the different US states.

There are probably agencies that do international assignments but not that I know of off the top of my head. It is probably very different as international licensing is a lot of red tape.

I've currently been to Florida, Oregon, California, and Washington.
>>
>>1246433
How about physicians?
>>
My company does not do physicans but they do have an equivalent called a 'locum tenens physician". You essentially fill in at hospitals for doctors who will be gone for an extended period of time. I don't know much about it beyond that.
>>
Thanks for posting, op. Can you go through what your life is like on a weekly basis? What exactly do your work days look like?
>>
>>1246470
No problem. The work is like a typical 40hr/5 day week. The work itself depends on the type of facility you are in.

My current assignment is at a Skilled Nursing Facility (nursing home) in Oregon. I go into the facility at some time in the morning and they have a list waiting for me with the names of some patients and the number of minutes each need therapy and I go home when I get done with the list. Depending on how full the facility is, I might be there anywhere from 4-8 hours per day and can range 30-40 hours per week.

This assignment is pretty easy and laid back work to be honest but this can vary in different settings. For example, one of my previous assignments was in a big trauma hospital and it was very fast paced and had complex patients.

Overall, it is a pretty chill job.
>>
>>1246470
Also, since I usually have a few days free each week, I usually take that time to check out the town I'm living in, explore a nearby city (I spend last weekend in a hostel in Portland) and the weekend before went camping at Mt. Hood
>>
>>1246471
So is it paid by hour or salary? Thanks again. Been toying with the idea in Canada but I'm not sure it's as lucrative and I don't think I'd do it if I couldn't eventually so it internationally (like in Norway or Switzerland)

>>1246473
Check out bend if you get the chance! That place is a hidden gem. You can go tubing in the river and snowboarding in the same day! Plus, the restaurants, beer, and general fucking hippie vibe in that town is awesome.
>>
>>1246463
Locum tenens bruh. Er docs can make over 10k per weekend. Free travels also. But yeah we go to medicine because we want to help. :).
>>
File: no.jpg (25KB, 500x344px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
25KB, 500x344px
op is forgetting to mention that everyone you work with will hate you because you won't know fuckall about protocols and procedures at each new assignment so all the status employees will have to hold your fucking hand for the simplest shit, and when you're finally getting in the swing of things your contracts up and you leave, and the whole fucking process starts over with some new retard.

upside is you won't care that everyone hates you because you know you're only there for 6-12 months, so fuck'em.
>>
File: 9mjci.jpg (89KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
9mjci.jpg
89KB, 576x768px
>>1246486
>bend
>3,000,000 visitors/year
>hidden gem
>mfw
lol. bend hasn't been anything close to hidden for at least 15 years.
>>
>>1246636
What, MDs on trv?
Nice. Did any of you did a fellow abroad or moved even fully in a new country?
>>
>>1246433
>PT
>Quick Degree
LOL Ok dude
OT is moving up to a PhD too. I'm a kinese major, even I hate that Orthotics and Prosthetics got moved up to an MS program. Speaking of which, do these agencies hire O&P clinicians?
>>
Anyone have experience with traveling for plastic surgery? I just learned I need to have a septorhinoplasty
>>
>>1246858
That's what they get for being on a power trip. At least OP wont have to be friends with them to keep his job.
>>
>>1248042
>wanting competent coworkers=being on a powertrip
lolwut
>>
>>1246433
>>1246438
I'm an RN based in CA and am currently getting multiple state's licenses so that this is an option. Seems like it could be cool for a while.
>>
>>1248066
Working at a hospital is worst than high school. Cliques, gossip and if you're not friends with the head of your department, s/he will find any past mistakes you made at work, report it and your entire career is done.
>>
>>1249219
That's any job, really. People never really grow up anywhere. That's the only thing that I've learned from "growing up" lol
>>
Anything similar for pharmacists?
>>
>>1246433
Do you know the specifics of what you need in SLP to do this? Masters? Im interested in this now.
>>
Not the other guy, but UK MBBS here. To work in the US you'll need to pass all 3 USMLE steps. Not worth it. Plus the US healthcare system is completely different to the UK/aus.
>>
>>1249276
and OP has more autonomy by traveling and working at different hospitals than working directly at one specific hospital.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.