[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv/, About to get out of undergrad and I found a position

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: zugspitze.jpg (33KB, 550x309px) Image search: [Google]
zugspitze.jpg
33KB, 550x309px
Hey /trv/,

About to get out of undergrad and I found a position working in hospitality in Garmisch Germany (Bavaria).

Pay is $9/hr w/ 32-40hr work week.

I am finishing up 2 semesters of German and this seems like a good opportunity to improve my speaking skills and to travel around before I figure out what exactly I want to do.

I would be there for a year and some change.

Does this sound good to you or should I duck out while I still can?

Anyone have experience with the area or "taking a year off"? What kind of mentality should I have while I'm doing this sort of thing?

Thanks
>>
>>1245405
How good are you at dialects?
You should probably watch some shows which are in bavarian german since even native Germans at times have problems understanding bavarians.

It surely is a good idea to do now, since Germany probably won't exist anymore in 20 years. So if you are interested in the german culture you should do it rather now than later.
>>
>>1245420
>tourist city of 26,000 people
>speaking weird dialect

kek you've never been there have you.

OP with $9 per hour you will not have a lot fun, it's pretty expensive.
>>
>>1245423
Not in that city, but I've been in bavaria a lot.
>being a year in bavaria
>only ever staying inside of one city
>>
>>1245423
I live in a tourist city in Bavaria and we all speak dialects. Though mine is pretty different from the rest around me desu
And people from outside indeed have a hard time for the first six months, even though I have no idea about Garmisch itself.
>>1245405
9$ would be below minimum wage. 9€ would be minimum wage.
Not really the most rewarding thing, especially since living there can be quite expensive.
>>1245420
>It surely is a good idea to do now, since Germany probably won't exist anymore in 20 years.
True to some extent.
>>
>>1245425
I'm from Bavaria and dialects among young people are mostly dead, but yes in the small towns we speak dialect but since small towns are dying the only young people living there aren't exactly the types OP will hang out with.
>>
>>1245442
>I'm from Bavaria and dialects among young people are mostly dead
Thats too drastic. Even people from Munich still have some dialect.
And I still need to see a Franconian that would ever use a "t" or "p".
>>
>>1245423
Yeah I was looking at train ticket costs and was not feeling too optimistic.

However, since it's hospitality I have a roof over my head and some food as well, so basically all of my income is disposable.

Does that change your mind?
>>
>>1245486
That makes it pretty doable. Will you be working in a ski resort? I would buy a very cheap used car (500-1000€). No point in taking expensive trains. You can always use long distance busses to travel around in Germany though.
>>
>>1245489
Yeah ski resort. Any clue what I'm in for?

Some people I talked to that currently work there mentioned renting cars... I honestly wouldn't know how to go about buying a car and getting insurance set up and all that but I am intrigued by the option. I am an American if that provides any insight.
>>
>>1245492
If you are registered that you are living in Germany I think it's no problem to buy one.

What will you do, gastronomy, cleaning or working at the lifts? Directly at Zugspitze? It takes quite a while to get up there from Garmisch.
>>
>>1245494
They have left us in the dark on that. I could be doing anything from ski instructor to security guard to room cleaning. So yeah, I could be stuck with bitch work, but I don't think it would bother me too much.

It looks like I'd normally be at the base of the mountain so not too far from town.

I appreciate the responses.
>>
>>1245497
Ah so you will be at Kreuzberg/Hausberg. That's cool, you don't need to take the bus every day and the masses of tourists will only go to Zugspitze. Will you get a season pass for skiing too? Skiing pass includes busses in the city and the swimming hall too I think.

Prices in supermarkets are pretty cheap in Germany btw

Do you speak German? Because if not I don't think you will have contact with customers
>>
>>1245499
Actually the place is called Edelweiss and it's for US army vets so my language exposure will be primarily with German coworkers and when travelling.

I am not familiar with the ski pass thing. Wouldn't it be redundant since I already could probably ski through my employer? I guess I'll play that one by ear.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.