[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thailand meetup

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: 20170503_173807.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170503_173807.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Are these threads a thing? Haven't visited this site in a while and can't recall if they happened.

Anyways, just arrived to Bangkok yesterday and ill be here for a few days before moving on. Anyone know of especially cool places to go? Staying in Khao San atm and have explored a bit.

Still have to visit temples and the floating market, but don't have much else on the list desu.

Also available to hang I guess, currently intend to go bar hopping tonight but it's kind of hard when you're solo backpacking.
>>
What a coincidence, I'm soon boarding my flight to BKK. Could have a spontaneous /trv/ meetup for beers or something.
>>
>>1245009
If you'd like I'm going to a comedy club Saturday night, went there Thursday and it was fantastic desu.
On Khao San road too
>>
>>1245305
I don't know why the hell it wrote "desu" I don't bloody talk like that
>>
>>1245305
I'm here now. Khao San road is a bit far though. I just prefer chilling around Sukhumvit.

>>1245306
You sound rather new if you didn't know about that wordfilter.
>>
>>1245313
What word was changed into Desu?

I lurk mainly on forums, I think I've posted on trv less than 10 times in the last year.
>>
>>1244958

>Khao San

Lmao. Enjoy your filthy scumpacker existence at the arse end of the city...

For a bit more you can stay in a decent area of the city actually served by public transport (ie the BTS/metro) and enjoy the delights of the city, instead of being surrounded by camera toting fuckwits in elephant pants who think they're having an authentic experience.
>>
>>1245348
Khao san is great, yeah it's full of other backpackers but so what? That's what you are ?not like Bangkok is a cultural hub of Thailand anyway you fucking gronk.
>>
desu
>>
>>1245348
If you're going to insult my place of residence would you please at least suggest a better area? All you did was telling me I'm messing up but did not include the tools to fix it..

Also, I still don't know how to conquer this language barrier, as almost none of the thais I meet know more than 5 words
>>
Why the fuck would I fly to an exotic place halfway across the world to hang out with a bunch of autistic americans from the internet?
>>
>>1245491
Not him, but why not rent a condo along the sky train route? Also the floating markets are a scam, as are the "temples" around the government center.
Last time i was there i went to the giant flea market in the north of the city, and hooked up with some thai girls to take me to the real temples and get real thai food that isn't watered down and made bland for westerners.
Also, if you go to the temple district at night because you missed the fucking boat bus, you can watch all the food delivery trucks dump meat and veggies on the ground for the tourist restraurants/vendors lol
>>
>>1245354

>Khao San
>Great

Maybe compared to, say, Mogadishu, or Eritrea but no, it's not great, it's a seething cesspool full of the lowest form of traveller, the backpacker, surrounded by the scummiest of Thais known to exist outside of Pattaya, circling like flies around a pile of dog shit.

Khao San used to be cool, but it's gone way too commercial and the multitude of small & interesting bars have been replaced by practically open air mega clubs, whose insane volume kills any atmosphere the street once had (people used to sit at Thai-style sidewalk bars/restaurants). Laughing gas is openly sold to cater to UK clubrats' desires. Sad that it's changed so drastically. The upstairs bar that plays acoustic music is still OK, they have mister fans and the tunes are excellent - I was there a week or so ago with friends (they insisted on going to KSR).

>>1245491

see

>>1245520

^^ This dude's onto it...you can get a cheap hotel or Air BNB in Sukhumvit or Silom/Sathorn districts (commercial zones) that are closer to the downtown. There are multitudes of restaurants, bars, malls, shops etc to cater for the hundreds of thousands of expats (200k Japanese alone) that live in BKK, in addition to the many many wealthy & western educated Thais who live and work in those areas - plenty of sexy Thai girls who speak excellent English to meet as well - Tinder is a fucking goldmine.

The market of which this guy speaks is Chatuchak, much better than the floating market nonsense which is just a tourist trap. Chatuchak is accessible by BTS and sells legit items (not fake tshirts and other crap), plenty of quality homewares, antiques, jewellery, actual souveniers or items you would put in your house.

Hit me with any other questions about Bangkok you might have (former resident & frequent visitor).
>>
>>1245524
KING POWER
>>
>>1245524
Thanks for the advice. Well shit now I'm feeling like I wasted the last 3 days in Bangkok and I was just about to leave to head to Ko Phi Phi.. I'll admit I haven't spent much time in the actual downtown area because it's all so far away.

I'll check out Chatuchak today!
>>
I'll be in Bangkok tomorrow or the day after, probably sukhamvit

Really just in transit north, but a meet up would be cool
>>
>>1245546

It's a mistake that many make unfortunately. Bangkok truly is a marvellous city, it's enormous (10+ million) and the metropolis radiates outwards almost endlessly. I love it because it's a collision of traditional Thai/Buddhist culture and modern technology and commerce. Some parts of downtown feel like Blade Runner, or some other dystopian future - neon lights, pungent smells, traffic & overhead railways, street stalls, everyone using a phone, noise and activity everywhere...it's intoxicating.

It's a city that caters to all tastes and budgets - you'll see Ferraris and Lambos parked outside the trendy clubs on Thonglor / Ekkamai, flagship stores for Gucci/Burberry/every luxury brand in massive malls, right through to the regular locals crouched in the gutter eating noodles, or the backpackers in KSR swilling overpriced Chang and doing cream bulbs. Whilst I tend to look down my nose at backpackers, I love that there is variety and choice in this city, any night of the week has the potential to turn into a wild one, depending on the next turn you make. Enjoy it!

>Phi Phi

Based on your earlier statements I am guessing you're in the "town" and not one of the resorts down the coast. It's nice, albeit a little crowded. Some American guys used to sail a sampan across to Phi Phi Don (Maya bay) in the afternoon, you swim across to this rope ladder thing and come in the back way, arriving into pristine Maya bay after most of the day tourists & long tails have gone. Brilliant. There's also overnight camping on the beach which is pretty cool, basically spend the night under the stars and get high / drunk with fellow tourists. Recommended.
>>
>>1245524

>full of the lowest form of traveller, the backpacker,

Fuck off

Sexpats, tourists and businessmen all rank below backpackers
>>
>>1245946
better show me that realtraveler certificate before flashing opinions like that around
>>
>>1245314
t b h
turns into desu

desu imo senpai
>>
>>1245524
I'm gonna be in bangkok alone for 3 nights near the end of this month, I'm sort of overwhelmed about where to stay for this short time before I head up north. I want to be able to walk to plenty of things but I don't mind taking a long tuktuk ride or something. Where do you recommend? I love food.
>>
File: 1438724588612.jpg (883KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1438724588612.jpg
883KB, 2048x1152px
>>1244958
I'm going to Thailand for 2.5 weeks.. I should've go with a friend but he bailed me so I'm going alone.
I don't really know what I want to do but I have 2 days in Bangkok and then I'm thinking about going to Tonsai for the rest of my trip..

Any advice for my first trip?
>>
Sadly, I'm stuck in Britain otherwise I'd have met up with you.

If you are staying on Khao San, I highly recommend drinking on Rambuttri Road which is the adjacent road to KS. Its still buzzing but more laid back, not so much YOLO and some good live music to be had. There is a little blues bar which is great. Also, check out Suk Sabai which is a friendly bar with good live music. There is also a superb Blues bar called Adhere the 13th on Samsen Rd. Highly recommend it. Thai bands are awesome, if live guitar music is your thing.

There is a nice park a 5 minute walk from Khao San which sits on the river and the ferry stop is there. Jump on a ferry ( make sure you get an orange flag, blue flags are a rip off and less regular) and go and check out Chinatown. Or go all the way to Nonthaburi and feed the catfish. Just hop on and off the ferry and explore, its easy. Maharaj pier has the amulet market and a cool temple to explore.

Don't bother with Grand Palace, total tourist trap. Wat Pho is not much better.

Also, get the fuck out of Khao San and find somewhere to stay around Samsen Road or Soi Rambuttri. Both within minutes of KS and much better vibe, better food and better people.

If you need recommendations for digs, let me know.
>>
>>1246737
I'm looking for a place near one of the areas you mentioned, any specific ones? I could spend like $20/night but could do cheaper. Private room preferred but I can do simple. I really wanna check out the blues bars. I'll be basically alone for a couple days, I could kill time that way.
>>
if this is going to happen someone needs to set a date

I've already come and gone through bangkok twice since this thread started
>>
>>1246932
I'm OP and I already left for Koh Tao

I left Bangkok a few days ago, should have set up something but sadly never for around to it
>>
File: sr0013309.jpg (193KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
sr0013309.jpg
193KB, 1024x768px
>>1246810

I personally used hostel booking apps like Agoda the whole time I was travelling. You usually get better deals than just turning up. I stayed exclusively in private rooms myself in Bangkok. Unless you are on a real budget, there are way too many accommodation options to be sharing in a shitty dorm (unless thats your thing)

If you have a bigger budget, there is a hotel on Soi Rambuttri called Rambuttri Village Plaza. I stayed there a few nights and it was $20-25 a night for en suite double room. At the other end of the scale, another place just off Soi Rambuttri is called New Siam Gueshouse which is very basic, has small private rooms and perfectly acceptable shared bathrooms for about $7 a night. This place is just around the corner from the park I mentioned on Phra Athit Rd, decent location away from Khao San, cheap and tasty street food on your doorstep also.

I actually forget the name of the guesthouse I stayed in around Samsen but there are many round there and I liked the area. Still near all the action but a little more secluded and better food.

The blues bar is on Samsen Rd just as you cross the bridge. Again, highly recommend it (pic related). There is another live music bar on Rambuttri Rd which has 2-3 bands a night and Suksabai does too, met some cool people there. There is also a reggae bar worth checking out on the same strip.

Let me know how you get on. Wish I was there right now
>>
>>1247043
>hoodoo man blues in top right
Would that be for sale? Or would I be better off to buy blues records in North America? sheeeit
Thanks for the hostel deets, I'm liking the $7 private one. Don't mind sharing a bathroom really. I will definitely hit up those blues bars, is it music every night or is it a weekend thing? not that it matters much, I'll be in BKK saturday thru monday.
>>
File: IMAG2915.jpg (942KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2915.jpg
942KB, 1520x2688px
>>1247051

Don't think those vinyls are for sale m8 but the music in there is real good and a proper intimate setting. I think there is live music every night although some nights better than others. Weekend will definitely be buzzing. Even the toilet in there looks cool lol (pic related)

The place on Rambuttri Rd is called Bar Lamphu. They used to have an old male/female blues duet on every night around 7pm then other bands later in the evening, more pop/rock based. Again, music every night I think.

Yeah, New Siam is very cheap and cheerful but clean. They have single and double rooms which can get a bit hot as some don't have aircon. For the price though its totally bearable. I stayed there on a few occasions and you are only a 5 min walk from Rambuttri Rd and the park/ferry stop.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.