[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Taiwan or Japan?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: Asia in general.png (818KB, 691x392px) Image search: [Google]
Asia in general.png
818KB, 691x392px
Planning an overseas trip at the end of the year, I have friends going to Taiwan and also Japan...
In your experience which is better?
>>
where are you from?
>>
>>1244590
You even have Akihabara as the thread image. There's no question: Japan.
>>
Taiwan is cheaper, more open minded ppl, easy to get around, locals have better eng than japs and etc

Taiwan
>>
>>1244590
>In your experience which is better?

In what sense? What are you into? What would you like to do there?
>>
>>1244647
sex, basically
>>
>>1244590
>>1244765
Taiwan is better for sure, better food, cheaper, more interesting and friendly people, better english, cheap transportation, can rent a bike from any train station and drop it off at any other for like 1$/day

but if you're going for sex you should stick to a degenerate place like Japan
>>
>going to Taiwan this summer

Bump for interest

>OP's thread is pretty good cos the Japan shit will hopefully keep this thread alive

Just over a month now. Can't wait.

Any cool shit recommendations from anons appreciated.
>>
The north has Jiufen, the oceanside town that Spirted Away was based on. For sights, Taipei has 101, Elephant Mountain, Taiwan Democracy Memorial Park, and Tamshui. For art, it has Huashan 1914 Creative Park, Songshan Creative Park, Treasure Hill, & MajiMaji. If you like Myanmarian food, go to the Little Myanmar on Huaxin rd . Night Marketwise, Raohe & Linjiang have tons of good food.

The east coast is a nature lovers paradise, you have Yilan / Hualien / Taidong. Yilan I've yet to go to, but have heard the scenery's good, and it has the Kavalan Whiskey distillery. Hualien has the Taroko Gorge nearby. Taidong can take you to some of the outer islands, Green Island & Orchid Island.

Down south, you have Tainan, Kenting, and Kaohsiung.

Tainan is the old capital, and now the food center of Taiwan. If you like history, go to Anping or Chikan Tower. For art, go to Qimei Museum, The Cultural Center or Xinmei rd. For eating as much good food as you can, just walk around Guohua rd / Youai rd, or go to Huayuan night market. You can also get to Penghu Island from Anping.

Kaohsiung is a lot like Tainan, but with more western influence. Here you can find good European / American food. As for places to see, go to Pier 2, LDR, Xiziwan, Lotus Pond, Fo Guang Shan Temple, Monkey Mountain, Rueifang night market, Cijian Island, Xiaoliuqiu.

Kenting is where everybody goes to the beach.

As for the west, you have the ancient forests in Alishan National Park . Ershui / Jiji for cycling in rice paddies / mountains. Yuanlin for a good small town experience. Taichung for Indian food and Luce Chapel. Miaoli for Tea Sage Hut.

Lmk what you're in to and I can give you more specific suggestions
>>
>>1244630
>locals have better eng than japs
Depends where you are imo. If you're in a big city in Japan you'll probably find someone who speaks enough English to help, same in Taiwan. In smaller cities you're kind of fucked in both places as well. I'd say in general you're right that Taiwan has better English, but since your ability to get by depends on the size of city I'd say it doesn't matter.

That said, I'd still say Taiwan. Just more convenient to get around and the people are more helpful. Either one can be good though.
>>
>>1244847
Yea but Japs are scared of messing up and bringing shame to themselves/their family/their country so they would rather not speak English at all if it means they won't have to bother messing up.

Seriously the confidence level of Japanese people is so low in general, you're better off going to Taiwan if communicating is an issue. Not to say it would be difficult getting around in Japan, but the amount of general timidness is surprising for a first world country.
>>
>>1244862
Yeah I'd tend to agree honestly. I'm just saying that English communicability is kind of even. In Taiwan I've managed to sign back and forth with people enough to have an almost conversation without either of us speaking more than a couple of words of the other language, can't say as I'd see it happening in Japan as much.
>>
>>1244590
Well since this thread is active, I'm going to Taiwan pretty soon (like a week) and was wondering what there is to do in Taipei off the beaten track. I'm going to be pretty busy for a lot of my stay, but I'm going to take like a week or so and probably stay in hostels near Taipei. I've been before and done a lot of the common stuff (National Palace Museum, Yehliu, Yangmingshan, etc...) but was wondering if
there is any hidden gems more off the beaten track. So far I'm planning to spend my time hiking around the less used trails on Yangmingshan and do some hiking in Pingxi (been before but didn't hike much). I obviously like nature stuff and hiking if that helps.

>>1244819
Huh, wonder if we'll be there around the same time. Since I've had some experience before, I'd recommend Alishan despite it being pretty much the most touristy spot possible. If you can, stay up there for two nights (or three if you've got money) instead of one. Most people go up one day and then go see the sunrise before immediately heading down, so if you stay throughout the day it's pretty much empty from 9AM until 4AM the next day. The sunrise viewing spot will be packed with throngs of people, but sunrise looks just as nice from a different spot.
>>
>>1244895
Meant to say, "sunset looks just as nice" in that last sentence.
>>
>>1244846

I love nature, and would love to see the parts most untouched by tourist attractions.

Food is second on the list, I'm excited to try new things.

I want to experience a culture that is totally alien to what I live in, being a westerner.

One of my friends going to Taiwan speaks fluent Mandarin, which should make things easier especially with regards to dealing with locals.

Basically everything you're listing sounds awesome, thanks for the info
>>
Well then taiwan is obviously your best bet. You can always do both, if you have the time. or just save japan for another time. Having a native tongue speaker is a no brainier.
>>
How much spending money are you taking, or what would others recommend?
Looking at going there late this year or early next year. Probably 3 weeks or something, as a first holiday.
>>
>>1244964

I'm hoping to have about $2000 for the whole trip, judging by how cheap that is I cant see myself going over that easily and yeah this will be my first time ever leaving the country so I'm pretty psyched
>>
>>1244982

If you're looking to get the best bang for your buck, i would't bet too much on japan. Last time me and my friend spent a good $700 between us on food alone in under a week, tourism is one of their main industries.
>>
>>1244765
Thailand you fag
>>
>>1244819
Kinmen
I can't be bothered going into detail over than saying if you know a bit of Chinese and have the time go to kinmen, hire a scooter and spend a few days exploring.
>>
Can't Speak for taiwan personally, but i've been to japan a few years ago and hong kong more recently... though they're probably similar enough.

Japan is gorgeous if you're able to get out of the city, we spent most of our time in himeji. (RECOMMEND). but you want someone who can speak the language or getting around will be a nightmare. if you're just expecting a weaboo adventure though don't get your hopes up... things were pretty tame. Even in the city people basically just accepted you as a cost of business and kept to themselves.

Hong kong wasn't as much of a nature trip as we figured, but we were able to stay longer since pretty much everything was dirt cheap and the food was amazing. Wasn't as modern as japan but people were WAY more friendly with foreigners, so probably had more fun there.
>>
I'm in Taiwan right now it's pretty comfy to be honest. Generally everybody under 30 or 40 has basic English skills. Even in Tokyo the people who worked at the reception of the hotels and hostels I stayed at didn't speak very good English.

Taipei is a huge city but it's so much easier to get around than tokyo. Much more walkable than Tokyo. There is also food everywhere here and it's really cheap. Night markets are the coolest thing ever, so good. Just typing it made my nose twitch and I thought I smelt it.

That being said Japan is amazing and it's hard to top. It has that aesthetic that the average chan lurker will recognize and appreciate while you're there.
>>
>>1244819
Taroko gorge
>>
File: Snapchat-8888400333425919357.jpg (228KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-8888400333425919357.jpg
228KB, 720x1280px
>>1244846

You're the guy that helped me plan my trip to Taiwan back in December aren't you?

This guy's suggestions are all good. I loved Taiwan. My favorite things were Mt. Qixing, Jiufen, Raohe Night Market (you've gotta try a hujiaobing - fried pepper pork bun w/scallions), Pier 2, and To Guang Shan temple.

Also the people are incredibly nice and helpful in Taiwan. Much warmer feel then Japan IMO.
>>
>>1245065

Oh also if anyone wants, I've got a Google doc that I can share of a super detailed itinerary that I made for the week or so I spent there.
>>
>>1245068
show it!
>>
>>1245065
Don't forget the Palace Museum
>>
>>1245068

Hell yeah man, I'd love to take a look. Keen to go into this with a solid to-do list.
>>
File: IMG_20161126_111613825_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161126_111613825_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>1245283

Here ya go. Apologies that it's a bit disorganized. Also, we did end up moving some stuff around a little bit. Specifically, on the day we hiked Mt. Qixing we came back to the hotel and were so exhausted we accidentally fell asleep for like 6 hours. So we ended up skipping Shilin Night Market and moving the National Palace Museum to the morning of the following day. I'm actually glad we did it this way since Raohe Night Market was great and it seems that most night markets sell the same kind of stuff, some just better than others.

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Pic is from Fo Guang Shan Monastery.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hVv7g4tNmE-13C57GdRDugKB_vdPd6oXL3Xgqt9Wtnw/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>1245374
this is way better than info on wikitravel
maybe i will link this doc there
>>
>>1244590
M8, *if you have never been to either country* Japan is the clear and obvious choice. It is sooo much bigger, there is just more to see and experience... Taiwan is very small. It has 0 World Heritage sites, Japan has 20.

Taiwan is cheap, has great food and some stuff to see and do--it would make a fantastic place to live--it is more interesting and vibrant than say Korea--but it just really cannot hold a candle to Japan for a first time traveler.

I like Taiwan a lot, but anyone vehemently saying Taiwan--assuming you have not been to either country--is just being edgy contrarian to try to piss off "weebs".

>>1244781
>degenerate place like Japan
>Muh degeneracy.

Back to /pol/, you germ.

OP as comments like that can attest to, the unequivocal recommendations for Taiwan are just thinly veiled edgy Japan bashing to piss of weebs.

Again, I like Taiwan and recommend it, but seriously, as first time traveler? Don't do something you'll regret later.
>>
>>1246347
Says the pissed Weeb
>>
>>1246347
Japan is boring as fuck
>>
>>1246347
>0 World Heritage sites
The only reason Taiwan doesn't have any UNesco world heritage sites is because... it is not even a member of the UN.
There is at least half a dozen sites in the country that would become instantly world heritage should Taiwan join (if China lets them).
>>
>>1246502
Le /trv/ resident Japan-is-boring rusemeister strikes again, le epic bro.
>>
>>1246508
Be that as it may
>6 (potential) sites
>Japan has 20

You're still not doing much to hamper his argument. Taiwan is very small and while the food and night markets are nice it is definitely no where near Japan for a first time visitor.
>>
I wish the weebs would just stay on the Japan general and not venture out and ruin other threads. We get it, you kids haven't travelled outside of Japan, that's fine, just don't shit up advice threads by pretending Japan is the greatest country on Earth.
>>
File: Snapchat-3394307840288278991.jpg (141KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-3394307840288278991.jpg
141KB, 720x1280px
>>
I been to Japan twice as a kid on an exchange trip, also studied for six years. I can't wait to go back to Japan, truly amazing experience.
>>
File: skullwithtongue.jpg (56KB, 419x444px) Image search: [Google]
skullwithtongue.jpg
56KB, 419x444px
Do I need a visa to get in to Taiwan as a Brit? Or can I just fly straight in?
>>
>been away from /trv/ a few days

>>1244988
Yeah that place does look good. I was looking at there or Mazu. Seems like I can get a flight pretty easy.

>>1245040
Noted

>>1244895
Cheers. I will have an open week after checking out a few cities and I do intend to check out some nature at some point.

>wonder if we'll be there around the same time
To be honest, this has me thinking. I'm not gonna know too many people on the ground.

Any anons fancy a midweek beer in Taipei around the 20th June?
>>
>>1248148
You can just fly in and stay for 90 days (I think, may be 60) visa-free.
>>
>>1248318
thanks anon
>>
Fucking japan my dude. I wouldnt go to taiwan if you paid me
>>
>>1249042
I'm legitimately curious, why?
>>
Anyone know of any underground sort of venues for gigs etc in Taiwan/Taipei?
>>
>>1250443

TCRC in Tainan , Mercury in Kaohsiung , BSMNT in Taipei
>>
>>1246347
>world heritage sites

BAHAHAHAHA

@OP: Taiwan AINEC
>>
>>1245374
Hey dude, I'm >>1244964
Thought I'd ask some questions as the threads still up. Hope you'll see it.
Your google doc was amazing, I'm probably going to follow most of it as a guide, along with some of my own stuff I've seen on Anthony Bourdain etc.

How long would you recommend staying for? The only holidays I've been on are two 5day stays in Hobart from Adelaide.
I was thinking two weeks, possibly three depending if I can get a mate or the girl I'm chasing, to come.
>>
File: Snapchat-5977851509930504373.jpg (305KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-5977851509930504373.jpg
305KB, 720x1280px
>>1250611
So glad you liked the itinerary!

I think 2 weeks there would be pretty pleasant so that you wouldn't feel rushed to fit tons of stuff in each day. It would also give you ample time to tack on some nature activities on the eastern half of the island (Hualien/Taroko National park, etc). I highly recommend taking the high speed trains around the country.

As for how much money to bring... It's kind of hard to say. My girlfriend and I spent under $1000 USD combined in a week there, and that was with staying in some nicer hotels. I wish I could give more specifics but I think $1500 USD worth would be more than enough. But it really just depends on how much comfort you're looking for. I'm sure we could have saved a lot if we utilized airbnb or hostels or whatnot.
>>
>>1244622
is it possible to get a cheap as fuck loft in akihabara? where could i research such a thing? what would the price be for an apt in an area nearby/
>>
>>1251620
well actually, let me add since it's relevant to OPs question, how hard would it be to get an apartment in Taiwan if I'm doing my work online? Are they cheap?
>>
>>1251217
Yeah I'm considering going for airbnb. $1500 usd is about $2k aud. I had a similar idea to your suggestion, I was going to add a day or two for each of the mountains and national parks. Pretty much go in a circle around Taiwan; starting and finishing in Taipei.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.