[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Zealand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: driving-in-new-zealand.jpg (118KB, 651x439px) Image search: [Google]
driving-in-new-zealand.jpg
118KB, 651x439px
Hey /trv/, would love to get some advice from experienced kiwis regarding NZ.

>Arriving on early January
>*Not* interested in sunny beaches and happy-go-lucky "yacht resort" type of landscapes
>Fiords, mountaintops, wetlands, lush forests etc. is where it's at for me

I've done basic research and it looks like the south island is much more to my taste. I'm stoked for sites such as Milford, Routeburn, Kepler, Mt. Cook, Roys Peak, and also Okarito and Fox Glacier seem lovely.
On the north island I'm keen on Tongariro, Rotorua, Mt. Ruapehu, Rangipo Desert.

My main question to you guys is how would you recommend to plan such a trip, given that I have approx. 1-2 months to spend in the country, and am planning to rely solely on public transportation (assuming that it's possible to get to most of the main sites by bus/train... it is, right?). I'm wondering if I should even skip the north island altogether. What would you recommend?

Many thanks in advance
>>
>>1243852

Don't skip the North, its awesome.
>>
File: IMG_0042.jpg (1MB, 999x1498px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0042.jpg
1MB, 999x1498px
>>1243852
start in auckland
visit waitakere ranges n shit, stay around auckland for 3 days

head to Taranaki through forgotten world Highway, its the most isolated place in the north island at night, fucking beautiful, filled with possums n shit, creepy af but just fucking terrific (pic related, «««muh photography»»»)
stay in stratford for a couple of days, easiest access to mt taranaki

go down to Tongariro NP, stay around Turangi area, easy access to the mountains (mt doom (not actual name) and tongariro and ruapehu), hit up rotorua too, this should take you a week maybe less.

head down to wellington from the eastern highways though napier, rural towns desu but im sure you'll like it

wellington is shit, take the ferry down to south island to nelson or something.

don't spend too long in nelson, a night or two if you need rest, headstr8 to the east coast (canterbury) on the coastal drive, there are seals on the shore, if they're chill you can feed them if yuo're good with animals (i did).

chch is shit, nothing there spend a night or two to rest, you'll need it

head down to otago region, dunedin, check out the farms n shit, clear night sky (which desu is everywhere in nz but down south you may get to see southern lights).

head to queenstown and thusly the alps. you can spend however long you want there, i reckon at least a week just hiking around the national park(s) and camping.

if you did read the whole thing, good on ya.
If you're keen for a meet, we could get drinks one night in auckland, and if you're keen-er, we could have a roadie I could drive you around north island (and maybe south island too). post contact if you're keen or ask for mine in this thread
>>
>>1244148
Hey mate appreciate it! Will definitely study up on those tips. And I'm at [email protected] feel free to make contact whenever.
>>
Christchurch local here.

New Zealand is VERY car centric. There are basically no trains in the South Island. You can use Intercity or Naked Bus for travel, but they're not great for getting to really remote areas. Intercity offers a bus pass, based on the number of hours you purchase http://www.intercity.co.nz/bus-pass/flexipass/flexipass-pricing/

Do you have a drivers license at all? New Zealand is generally a very easy country to drive in, and you can go wherever you want.

This outfit has them from $20 a day http://www.nzbackpackerrentals.com, but for a trip of your length it may be too expensive. Plus fuel isn't cheap either.

For hiking I would suggest The Milford Track and also The Abel Tasman coast track.
>>
File: kaiteriteri.jpg (599KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
kaiteriteri.jpg
599KB, 2048x1365px
>>1244148
Disagree with this guy's assessment of the South Island. Make sure to spend a few days in the Golden Bay and Marlborough sounds area, at the top of the North Island. It's the nicest part of the South Island in the summer.

Also part of the East Coastal road is shut between Picton and Kaikoura.
>>
>>1244510
why is it shut?

and yea OP i completely forgot about marlborough sounds, go there too
>>
>>1244741
because of land slips - we had some serious storms and flooding recently.
>>
>>1244148
Why would you suggest the east coast of the south island and not the west coast?
>>
>>1244779
i did forget to add a lot of things like fjordlands and the west coast, feel free to add things to that list, the time range given is p vague too
>>
>>1244507
op here, thanks, and yeah I have a license. I was a mostly put-off on the idea of driving in NZ because of not wanting to worry myself with the troubles of renting a vehicle and hunting for fuel etc., and also I'm not used at all to driving on the left side of the road like you guys do. I wouldn't wanna bother with any of it if I could handle with just public transportation, but I realize I should be reconsidering, well so be it.

Anyhow, thanks for all the recs. Was wondering if there are any wetlands/marshes you'd esp. recommend? I'm pretty keen on those too
>>
>>1244807
ye waitakere ranges in north island, if you keep going on the hilary trail from muriwai, a bit after bethels beach when you go through waitakere ranges, you'll come across a stream, follow through the stream (off track) towards a little waterfall, theres a real swampy place where no one is/goes - thats for if you want an adventure n shit

otherwise, around tongariro river is a decent and photogenic place, i reckon if you drive around there it'll you'll find some real nice areas

i'll keep south island open for someone else (heh)
>>
>>1244807
You should hire a vehicle.

Just don't crash it and kill local families like a lot of tourists are doing lately.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (11KB, 321x457px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
11KB, 321x457px
Anyone remember that anon who toured NZL by bike? What was his outcome?
>>
I did two weeks in New Zealand and just stuck to the South Island (with a rental car). My Itenerary was

Christchurch to Punakaiki
Punakaiki to Franz Josef (stop in Hokitika)
Franz Josef to Wanaka
Wanaka to Queenstown
Queenstown to Te Anau
Te Anau to Milford
Milford to Queenstown
Queenstown to Mt Cook to Tekapo
Tekapo to Christchurch

Spent a few days in a couple of the different cities. All in all it was an amazing roadtrip. A little bummed I didn't see Abel Tasman as well but i definitely recommend this as a skeleton itinerary for the south. ">Fiords, mountaintops, wetlands, lush forests etc. is where it's at for me" You definitely see all the above.
>>
To add to the good recs itt, I just came back from Arthur's Pass (national park) today and had a blast. You'll get your fill of mountains, forests, wetlands (bogs/marshes) and alpine parrots.
>>
>>1243852
my friend (f) spent march hitching between hiking routes in the southern island and had an epic time. thats what i'd be doing if i were you.

are you properly set up for hiking? or do you mean more daywalks?
>>
I am also go to NZ end of Juny.

Didnt booked the flight and camper yet, hoiping for good last Minute

Travelling allone >no friends

I wrote all Lord of the Rings places down and travel them trough my Trip
>>
Much much kudos to you all, will study up on those recs.

>>1245634
I'm not very experienced with trekking and this will be my first major solo trip. So to be pragmatic I'd like to gradually build my confidence and capacity, starting with day-hikes and easy treks, until I'm up to the heavier routes.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.