[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you keep your shit safe and not be a fucking tourist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20170501_075329.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170501_075329.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
How do you keep your shit safe and not be a fucking tourist?

Got this slim fanny pack thing as a gift. Hides under my shirt well but I feel like a tool knowing I'm wearing it.
>>
>>1243780
I don't wear baggy clothes and keep shit in my pockets
>>
>>1243780
What do you mean safe? I keep my passport + vaccination record + second credit card in my locker in a fanny pack like you have or if there's someone sketchy in my hostel dorm I leave it at the reception. Walking around I never carry more than $50 in local currency + credit card. I don't carry any personal information with me around
>>
File: serveimage-3.jpg (68KB, 595x335px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage-3.jpg
68KB, 595x335px
>>1243780
loos awesome, you will totally fit in. Do you have the matching canadian patch on the backpack and nice cargo shorts to go with that set?
>>
>>1243793
I wish I had that much style.
>>
File: IMG_20170501_095026.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170501_095026.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1243788
I don't know man, I'm coming from America, where you are more likely to get robbed at gunpoint than pickpocketed.

I just don't know how the rest of the world rolls and would hate to loose all my stuff like a dummy.
>>
>>1243780
>How do you keep your shit safe and not be a fucking tourist?
Admitting that you are a fucking tourist is the first step to recovery, brother.
We've all struggled with this. But you will feel much better once you just say the words:
>My name is anon, and I'm a fucking tourist.

Also, if it fits under your clothes, great, but there's no reason to carry your passport around everyday. I have a very small elastic strap made for cyclists/runners which fits a credit cards and some money which is also undetectable. Try sports stores or online. People telling you not to carry more cash than you need are also right.
>>
For carrying a few papers, cards, and banknotes, stitch a square of fabric (left, right, and bottom edges) onto your undershirt. Store whatever you can fit in the pocket before it makes a bulge visible from the outside.
Or, take the square of fabric, fold it in two, and stitch the parallel free edges. Pin one side of the mouth to the low front edge of your bra.
This is what my parents used on the train to escape Yugoslavia.
>>
>>1243780

Step one is not to look like some inexperienced easy mark who has just stepped off the plane.

This matters more than anything else. A theif, mugger or pick pocket will always go for the easiest targets, and rarely even bother with anyone who looks like they might either stop them in the act or thump them or grab them until the cops come.

Looking like you know your stuff is always the best deterent.

Right got that? Now how do you look like you are not an easy mark?

NEVER, I repeat NEVER, wear a "bum bag" (and while you're at it NEVER refer to a bum bag as a "fanny pack" outside of America as in the rest of the world "fanny" is quite a rude word meaning a Wendy-hole). Bum bags are used as indicators to theives that a tourist is a bit clueless and probably American. No eperienced tourist ever uses a bum bag. Even if it is well hidden you have to go into it at some point to get out your money or whatever and odds on because the action required to unhide it will be so un-natural any thief will spot it with ease. For OP it sounds like this will involve hitching up her skirt as if she were doing the can-can every time she wants to buy an ice lolly.

Most theives will then target the mark next time they go to pay forsomething and expose the bum bag. Usually they will use distraction techniques and you won't realise you've been dipped until afterwards when the theives are well away, they may dip a hand into the bum bag while it is still open and you're distracted or have your hands full paying or just cut a slit in the bottom of the bag with a sharp knife.

Instead use an obvious looking bag with a cross body strap to deter bag snatchers. make sure the bag looks tough, to deter knife slitters and has zips so can't be dipped.

Don't wear anthing that identifies you as an obvious tourist either, if you are Canadian don't wear a maple leaf patch, if you are American don't wear a hawiian shirt, wait until you get home to wear the hard rock cafe tshirt etc, etc.
>>
>>1243917
>Bum bags are used as indicators to theives that a tourist is a bit clueless and probably American.
I had to look "bum bag" up...never it heard it like that. At any rate, I was surprised to find out they're somewhat trendy in Ukraine and the locals wear them often.

As for me, I generally use a neck wallet for large money and important documents. People can probably see there's something clunky under my shirt, but they'd need to possess real balls to try and take anything.

When there is cold weather, I wear a fleece with a decent sized pocket and wear a jacket over it.
>>
>>1243917
>wait until you get home to wear the hard rock cafe tshirt etc, etc.

Expensive looking clothing with prominent logos / branding will also draw attention in some parts of the world.
>>
>>1243921
>they're somewhat trendy in Ukraine
If that's not an endorsement worth taking note of, I don't know what is. Time to dent my Amazon account..
>>
>>1243780
Carry a handgun
>>
>>1243923

Not to mention that no local would wear a hard rock cafe tshirt or hat with the local city on it. However, one from a different, Non-American and non-local Hard Rock can make you look like a more seasoned tourist and a less easy target.
>>
>>1243946
I backpacked around South Sudan wearing my Hard Rock Cafe Pattaya t-shirt and didn't have any trouble.
>>
>>1243947
I freeroamed North Korea after swimming across the Yalu river wearing an I <3 Pyongyang shirt with three bibles under my arm, spreading the word of the Lord.

Nobody even batted an eye at me. OP is overthinking this.
>>
>>1243954
I spent ten days in Colombia wearing my "Just in town to fuck Colombian men's wives in the ass" shirt and had $1,000 bills falling out of my pocket and a delicious chocolate cake the whole time and I was fine.
>>
>>1243917
autism: the post

as a man in your mid 20s you are not at risk of getting robbed unless you get unlucky

you are at the bottom of the food chain for any robbers

instead of robbing you, there are hundreds of oblivious middle aged couples, asians with their giant cameras, american girls wearing yoga pants, and obvlivious guys with their trekking clothes and backpacks with water bottles hanging out
>>
>>1243780
>How do you keep your shit safe
I use my brain, utilize safety lockers, and carry only what needed when traveling out and have a spare 100 USD in my shoe/sock just in case.

> not be a fucking tourist?
Use your brain, be polite and learn a bit of the language of the place you are going.
>>
>>1243917
> NEVER, wear a "bum bag"
I don't know man.
In t NEVER, wear a "bum bag" he Philippines, a policeman proudly showed me his fanny pack (I prefer this term, and in fact the object is somewhat pussy-like, so the connotation is not coincidental), and told me that it's the best way not to get your shit stolen.
>>
If i'm going through a sketchy area I put my wallet in the side pockets of my jeans/pants instead of the back pocket.. I don't wear baggy clothes so if some little gypsy is able to get his hands in my pants without me knowing he deserves it.

Only carry your hotel key, minimal cash and a card, then leave a different debit/credit card in your hotel room or bag.

Oh and don't carry a camera on a lanyard around your neck, I saw a french woman almost get her head taken off when someone tried to snatch the camera hanging around her neck..
>>
>>1243947
Hey, I have a Pattaya HR shirt. Crazy place that Pattaya Beach.

I bought an RFID front pocket wallet. It's thin as hell, can fit whatever cards I NEED to have one me, and some cash.

Like everyone said, leave your shit somewhere secure until you need it (traveling to a different city, crossing a border).

I have one of those money belt things like OP, might use it when I'm traveling to different cities/countries. For day to day around town sight seeing, I plan on leaving it behind along with the rest of the shit I don't need for whatever it is I'm doing at that time.
>>
>>1243963
I walked through the mongolian empire with a plate of gold on my head, and I was fine.
My girlfriend got impregnated by Gengis khan tho
>>
I don't know man. Locals got gut instincts telling probably everything they can regocnize in you if they notice you for any reason. We are ever so transparent. I stop caring about looks and just accept what I am, though the street wise part of me always has the authority, it's just more convenient being, more or less situational, who you are.

Look at stuff. Eat stuff. Accept the mosquitoes and scratch your bum if it itches when nobody is looking.
>>
Just by keeping your wallet or phone in your front pocket instead of your back pocket you'll already decrease your risk of getting robbed a lot.

Also, if you don't have an iphone no one is gonna bother stealing your phone.
>>
>>1244683
yeah no one gives a shit about my blackberry even in Brazil
>>
>>1244683
>instead of your back pocket
What kind of simpleton does this by default?
>>
Phone in front pocket and only carry 40-60 bucks cash in the 3rd world. I only take my credit or debit card out when I need to get cash, and then i come straight back to hotel or hostel and lock it up.
>>
>>1244892
people with outside genitals
>>
>>1243780
Separate your cash bills by having the bigger notes for example in your shoes/socks and some smaller notes/change in your front pocket. Just make sure you have enough cash for someone who would stick a gun in your face to be at least satisfied.
>>
In the pockets of my pants like at home?
>>
>>1243780
Slim undershirt thing but only for passport, tickets, and a backup credit card. Maybe some backup cash. The rest of my wallet is just in my pocket as usual, I don't want to be empty handed if I'm mugged.

I've never left my passport at the hotel. I just don't trust that some random worker with safe master keys won't go snooping. Also I feel reassured knowing that I can leave the country without returning to the hotel, if something were to go down.

>>1244892
I've never carried anything in a rear pocket, ever, anywhere in the world. It's too easy to pitpocket and it's uncomfortable when I sit down. I have no idea why the fuckin things even exist.
>>
File: 1489499517091.png (256KB, 636x708px) Image search: [Google]
1489499517091.png
256KB, 636x708px
From the 10+ years of traveling alone:
-Dont look like a tourist. No specialized clothing, backpacks, camera, guidebooks, etc
-Keep your passport, valuables, etc in the hotel safe/locker or give it to reception to keep
-Ask for a spare keycard to your room
-Make sure you have copies of all your travel docs
-Get travel insurance if you can
-Only carry the bare minimum with you
-Cellphone and wallet in front pants pockets. Walk with hands/thumbs in your pockets around crowded places
-Pretend you're part of a larger group
-If you need to do something touristy like check the guidebook or take money out of your fanny pack; do it in a shop, public bathroom or sitting at a restaurant
-Wear an extra layer of clothing like a jacket/hoodie to cover the outline of the fanny pack that you're wearing under your shirt
-Dont make eye contact and ignore anybody suspicious who attempts to stop or stall you on the street
-Dont wear your heart on your sleeve; sometimes it's best just to be an asshole for your own good
>>
>>1246509
>how to look like a total autist while travelling, the post
>>
>>1246510
>autism the post
>>
>>1246509
You must be Chinese.
>>
>>1246509
>-Dont make eye contact and ignore anybody suspicious who attempts to stop or stall you on the street
Wow,
thats the whole opposite of what you should do.

By looking people at the eyes you are letting them know you are aware, alert and not afraid. Dumbass.
>>
>>1246592
>making eye-contact
>opening yourself in any way
>visual invitation

By looking people in the eyes you open yourself to gypsies' sorcerer ways. Dumbass.
>>
What's wrong with backpacks nowadays?
I wear one all the time in my own city, just as I do while traveling.

Then again, if you're a tall white dude visiting anywhere remotely not western, you're gonna end up looking like a tourist regardless of what you wear. Might as well embrace it.
>>
>>1246509
>guide to autism

The main trait of autism is inability to relate to other people.

So lets flip this other way around, because autists by the very definition are unable to do it themselves..

Imagine OP wasnt asking about safety in some place distant to you, but was asking about safety in your home city/country. Now look at this answer from that point of view. The more out-of-touch with reality it seems, the more autistic it is, by the very definition.

True, there are places less and more civilized. But the fears are still out of touch. And OP never stated specifics, he could have been asking about your home town.
>>
>>1246509
Just don't wear a 'fanny pack', what the fuck man. They look shit, make you 50000% American tourist and are useless. Just wear a jacket, you fucking alien.
>>
Whenever I'm really worried abouf getting robbed or pickpocketed, I dress down.
Also I take old plastic bags for daypack, and I put all my cash in fully see-through freezer bags. My cards I try to fit in my pockets, or I just throw them in the plastic bag.
It's just so unexpected, that pickpockets cannot deal with this shit.
>>
Just go with your money belt, it's all fine. Or push it down under your trousers more, so it wont stand out on your belly too much.
>>
>>1246657
You are forgetting that
* Being mugged abroad is a much bigger problem than at home, especially if they take your passport
* Pickpockets specifically look for tourists
>>
>>1243972
It's not autism, Im not proud of it, but when I was a kid and in my teens this is precisely what I would look for in pickpocketing so he's giving pretty solid advice.

The most important thing is just look confidant but dont strut.
>>
>>1243842
Depends on the weather, of course, but I always have a jacket with a pocket on the inside. It can usually carry a wallet with the most important things. Phone goes in tight pockets in pants.

If no jacket and you absolutely have to carry a large wallet/passport, you're pretty fucked.
>>
>>1244892
In America the chances of getting your wallet taken out of your back pocket is 1%. I've never been worried about it even in the worst places they're not gonna pick pocket
>>
>>1243780
But anon, you are a tourist.

Anyways, if that fanny pack is hides well under your shirt why not use it? It's a lot safer than keeping your wallet/valuables in your pockets.

I carry a bag because I'm a Foreman grill. I make sure that the zippers are facing my front, though.
>>
>>1248453
>I'm a Foreman grill
Does that mean you're skinny and kind of a cunt?
>>
>>1243917
You sound like so delusional that you might just be a parent or something
>>
File: 1493607151652.png (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1493607151652.png
1MB, 1000x1000px
>>1248454
>Skinny
Oh if only. I'm not fat but skinny doesn't describe me either.

I like to think I'm not a cunt, though. I used to be deep into the poilitical/heavy-handed opinions shit but I stopped when I realized I didn't want to be a turbo autist.
>>
>>1243842
well then thats easy. just hide your shit under your folds, fatty
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.