[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to take an extended trip to India

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 14

File: india-1.jpg (19KB, 466x214px) Image search: [Google]
india-1.jpg
19KB, 466x214px
Have any suggestions on areas I might visit? I'm a native English speaker, but I'm very slowly learning a bit of Hindi. I'll at least know halfassed Hindi before my trip.

Additionally, what are things I should be on guard against as a solo traveler?
>>
>>1243562
Where in the country are you going? Its like saying youre going to america or europe.

Unless youre going to small villages, you really dont need to learn any indian languages. You will be able to get around with just english. India isnt really a place you need to be scared, the worst thing that can happen to you is getting your stuff stolen while you arent paying attention or getting ripped off.

I would honestly suggest south india, goa & kerala arent the in your face image you see of india and there arent idiots trying to sell you stuff all the time at tourist destinations like they do in the north. Again it all depends on what you want to see and do. If you want dirty hippies and dead bodies in the river then do the typical backpacker shit in india.
>>
I was hoping to just kinda travel all over India for a bit, maybe spend a couple weeks to a month in certain places and then move on.

What is the typical backpacker shit?
>>
>>1243630

I was just there, typical backpacker shit is Rishikesh, Manali,, Pavarti Valley Gokarna..India is the best. My favourite cities were Varanasi, Mumbai, Kolkata,Jaipur
>>
>>1243562
>>1243630

I lived in Delhi for a year and a half and have been to India seven times.

Where you'll want to get depends on the time of year. Chennai or Kerala in summer would both be unpleasant, while taking a wintertime trip to Leh or Rishikesh is unwise.

Although learning Hindi is hardily a necessity, especially if you're heading south, do not expect ordinary people in India to understand English. Many merchants and cab drivers comprehend counting number sand simple directions but little else. I've read estimates that only about 10% of Indians are conversationally proficient in English and wouldn't be surprised if the real ratio is even lower.

Safety in India isn't a huge deal if you're a male. By and large, the biggest hassles you'll encounter are in regards to scams, price gouging, and petty theft. Mugging and armed robbery aren't common, although you'd be advised to stay out of certain areas after nightfall (for instance, Greater Noida has a rough-and-tumble reputation, but there's basically no reason a tourist would go to Greater Noida anyway).

I would advise you not to be too trusting or chatty until you've planted your feet firmly in Indian soil. That's especially true if your port of entry is Delhi, which has an unparalleled preponderance of scams.

Once you spend long enough in India, you should be able to gauge who's approaching for regular chit-chat and who has an ulterior motive. Foreigners do attract a lot of attention, but rarely will a man in knock-off designer clothes interrupt you mid-stride, ask where you got your shirt, and then invite you out for drinks and then to a tourist office. The predictability of such foot-in-the-door conversations is almost funny, especially in the Delhi localities of Connaught Place and Paharganj.
>>
>>1243648 (cont.)

One piece of advice I came across before is to not do anything that'd seem stupid by the standards of home.

For instance, I've seen plenty of foreign tourists get suckered into scams by wandering off with a strange man they'd met minutes before. If you were at home in Dallas or Edinburgh or Dusseldorf - wherever - would you accept an invitation from an odd man with a funny accent to do shots at his uncle's carpet shop?

The worst is the fucking idiots who stand outside the New Delhi Train Station (NDLS) and run up to foreigners demanding to see their tickets. Sometimes they dress up in official-looking outfits and wave identification in tourists' faces (usually their government-issued PAN card) to seem credible.

Amazingly, people fall for it. They'll hear their train got canceled or that their reservation needs to be checked or that the International Tourist Bureau has moved and they need to go to the "Official Government of India Tourist Office" in some unmarked shit-hole in Gole Market. Next thing you know and they've missed their train and spent $2,000 on a taxi to Rajasthan and a tiger safari in Uttarakhand.

Basically, don't be fucking stupid. Some of these guys are pretty clever and might even make friends with you beforehand (they have contacts in hotels who tell them when and from where new guests are arriving).

Could write a book on all the weird shit I've seen but I digress.
>>
>>1243645
>>1243648
>>1243650
Awesome, I really appreciate the info! Especially the stuff about scammers.

When it comes down to it I'm really untrusting and a bit flighty if someone comes off as sketchy (which isn't that hard by my standards).

I would like to hear of some more scams that you know of if you can think of any.
>>
I travelled there solo for two months recently, almost exclusively in the North.

India is difficult to love, and difficult not to love. Had a great time there, but was happy to leave when I did, basically because (the North in particular) is so in your face with the scams.

>>1243650
Anon here has given excellent advice. Buy your train tickets online and get that registered asap (the process is painful and you will have to phone them up at some point to literally tell them to register you). There's also a limit of 6-8 trains you can get a month, so try booking some ahead if you can.

By far, most interaction you have as a solo traveller is with scammers and tuk tuks. I genuinely found it easier just to completely ignore them, to the point of walking away while they're mid-sentence. Never, ever, go with a driver who speaks to you on the station platform.

Might not work for everyone, but I found being quite aggressive and getting in their face if they're persistent or giving you exorbitant prices was a good tactic. Generally most Indian men are absolute pussies, and Europeans have a reputation for kicking off so you can play on that.

Do not walk down dark streets in cities like Jaipur/ Delhi alone (almost got mugged there by a hoard of kids). India's unlike any country I've been too - enjoy the madness, and try not to let the scamming get to you. You will get scammed, but honestly the money lost is never huge compared to other countries.
>>
>>1243654
Are the trains essential for distance travel or can you get cabs to go in bits and pieces for a decent price?

Also, are the trains like those images I've seen where people are literally covering the entire outside of the train?

Also, what height/weight are you?
>>
>>1243653

One of my favorite stories is of a fellow who approached me on my first trip.

I was dating a girl from Delhi at the time. She lived in affluent locality near Hauz Khas Village while I stayed at a budget hotel in Paharganj. Every day I was in India, I'd follow the same routine of waking up and strolling down the Main Bazaar to R.K. Ashram Metro station, where I'd board and head to Green Park.

A young man interrupted me outside the Metro station and said he wanted to practice his English. He seemed nice enough but I was suspicious. We talked for a few minutes but I didn't get any odd vibes, so I decided to give him a chance when he invited me around the corner to grab a chai.

To make a long story short, we spoke for about ten minutes before he started breaking into a sob story - about how he was a shoe shiner from Uttar Pradesh and how a horrible fire had disfigured his young sister. He said a stranger had stolen his shine-box and asked if I could help.

"No money, yaar," he said. "Just buy us some food. Even a kilo of rice, okay?"

But I didn't. I thought he was trying to rip me off. Sometimes beggars - especially children, but adults as well - will coerce foreigners into buying them powdered milk or non-perishable food products from certain markets.

What ends up happening is that the storekeeper will sell everything you at jacked up rates (you wouldn't know to look for the tiny MSRP). After you leave, the beggar comes back and takes a small commission.

Even auto-rickshaw drivers do that with jewelry shops. My second time in Delhi, when I was low on cash, I'd spend a couple hours every week going around with friendly auto-walas to various handicraft emporiums and jewelry shops. I'd stop in, discuss a transaction, and me the driver would split the 200 or 300 Rs they'd pay him just to bring a customer in.
>>
>>1243659 (cont.)

A lot of scams in India work on commission, so ask yourself - if I become a paying customer, would the guy who brought me here have a paying stake in it?

Oh - and on my second visit to India, in 2014, I was stopped by the same shoe-shine-wala on the same street. He didn't recognize me and spun into the same bullshit story. When he was speaking, mid-sentence, I cut him off and asked if his family's house had burned down and he needed some rice.

Dude stared at me for about five seconds, burst out laughing, and gave me a big clap on the back before chasing after somebody else.

There's also an old man in Paharganj who poses as a professor. He follows foreigners around and rambles on about his academic interests for an age before requesting a donation. Another lady, always wearing the same ragged sari and carrying a clipboard, says she's collecting money for the victims of flooding in Bangladesh. She has a terrible memory and it took her three years to remember my face.

Before that, some of my local friends would have to chase her off by yelling in Hindi, "You're asking us for money? Show us your wallet, auntie-ji!"

She'd clutch her purse, laugh, and quickly walk away, every time.

There are plenty of legitimately boned people (as well as folks who have to self-finance their medical treatments by begging), but you should always be on guard in touristic areas. I don't, as a general rule, give money to anyone I don't know.

Oftentimes, handing beggars a 10 Rs coin won't be the end of it - they'll look at you like you're an idiot, put out their hands, and say, "Hundred rupee, bhai, hundred," while half a dozen of their friends run over and start pulling on your pant-legs.
>>
>>1243657
So you will need to get a train between cities - unless you plan to fly (I did once just to save myself from having a 24 hour journey).

The trains come in a lot of different classes, and unless you are on a real budget its not like the movies. I found class 2 AC fine for me price and comfort wise - book lower and side, you will get a booth to yourself. There's also far less (but still some) risk of theft higher up the class you go.

I got caught out by the limit on trains you can buy per calander month - so had to bus it aswell. Again, worth paying slightly more for AC buses, but note they drive like fucking maniacs out there and you will be in some close calls.

Once you're in the city, you will only ever have to use tuk tuks to get around. Some larger cities have uber and its always cheaper and more reliable. Always keep suitcase with you (never put in a trunk).

I'm average size, 6ft white and 13 stone. You can play on your physicallity if you ever have a disagreement with someone over a pre-agreed price (no one ever respects the agreed price you haggle, they beg for more at the end, or say they have no change. It's quite good to get in their face and start raising your voice in those instances).

Quick thought, don't even bother with sandals - your feet will get filthy. Very important - bring hand sanitiser, and use it every time you shake someones hand (again loads will try and shake your hand. Just say namaste if you can, never shake).
>>
>>1243659
Where did you meet your indian girl friend?

Also, is haggling the standard in India? I've had to haggle a bit in a few other countries, but I'm definitely not an expert. Any tips on that?
>>
>>1243665 (cont.)

>>1243654

As a heads-up, sometimes purchasing train and bus tickets online can be a pain with a credit card issued overseas. The IRTC website would never accept payments on my Visa. I'd either have to pay my hotel a commission to book a tatkal (emergency) fare or would go to the train station myself (there are offices set aside for foreign tourists in most popular cities, e.g., Delhi, Jaipur, Varanasi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and so forth).

I wouldn't recommend getting aggressive with people unless you're willing to back it up, though. However, I do second just ignoring people who follow you asking for money or trying to show you some unwanted products; I do the same with tourist touts as well. It stops them from wasting your time and theirs as well.

Occasionally they'll still be persistent. Sometimes I'd fuck with the tourist office touts in Connaught Place if I had nothing else to do or was waiting for a friend. One of them laughed and gave me a gentle, playful slap on the face after I told him about these "crazy Kashmiri people who come up to tourists and take them to offices to book overpriced stays on houseboats," before telling him he looked like a typical Kashmiri tourist tout.

Fucking funniest time, though, was when a guy sat down next to me, put his head in his hands, and straight-up turned on the waterworks. Dude bawled for about five minutes. I thought he was genuine and bought him a cigarette and tea. Five minutes later he was trying to get me to go to a carpet shop.

(I actually suspect some of the other touts put him up to it just for kicks. I knew a lot of guys in tourist offices, and they'd usually send their new guys after me, saying I was "fresh blood" and visibly laughing from across the street when I'd shut them down).
>>
>>1243667
Is street food as dirty as I've heard?

Any tips for avoiding getting super shits or generally sick??\
>>
>>1243668

Sorry for writing so much, by the way. Sort of drunk.

We met on Facebook. It's a long story. We dated for about a year and a half and then broke up. She was bat-shit insane.

Dated another Indian chick after her and that relationship was much, much better. However, the latter grew up in the United States.

Haggling is standard in small shops, produce carts, and other informal markets. You won't haggle in most general stores if you're buying something like a Coca-Cola or if you're sitting down at a restaurant with a menu. However, do beware that many small outlets that have signs saying "no haggling" still expect you to haggle. It's a pain in the ass.

>>1243657

>cabs

I wouldn't take a cab unless it was shared and I was traveling for less than three or four hours. If you use a service like GoIbibo, you can get decent rates on shared taxis between cities like Delhi and Jaipur an Agra.

The best rates are always the train, though. As long as you're in Seater AC or 3AC and above, you'll be fairly comfy.

>people covering train

That's a meme. A lot of those pictures are from Bangladesh. Many of India's trains nowadays are electric or have fixtures on them to prevent people from sitting on top.

I'd imagine it's still a problem in some rural states.

However, Mumbai local trains can get VERY crowded during rush-hour commutes.

I'm 5'11" and probably between 160-170, not sure.
>>
>>1243676

Some street food is hygienic.

I wrote a summary report on research which had been conducted on the presence of certain bacteria in certain street foods in Mumbai. Surprisingly, the authors of the report didn't find as much contamination as they'd suspect, although the results were still worrying.

In the last several years, I've noticed many street vendors have begun implementing common-sense precautions to combat disease and infection. Eat somewhere that has disposable plates and utensils and covered cooking pots. Generally speaking, foodborne illness becomes more of a problem in monsoon, given the increased humidity, heat, and prevalence of mosquitoes and flies.

Buy Imodium and Norflox and keep both handy in your day-pack or in your hotel. If you're traveling for a few months, you'll probably get deathly ill at least once, though some folks manage to never.
>>
>>1243676
I didn't go near the stuff. Anyone I know who did loved it, but did get very ill at one point.Generally I would look up well rated restaurants nearby on tripadvisor/ ask hostel for advice on where to eat. Also, if there is ever a country to go vegan its India. The variety and taste of vegan food is incredible there.

Pack immodium, always have before a long train trip. If you start getting the runs, have a big bowl of meuesli somewhere, always sorts me out.
>>
>>1243688
I am seriously thrilled that you are writing so much.

I am definitely going to try to archive this somehow at the end and reread it when I get closer to my departure date.

Did you eat street food often or mostly restaurants? Also, I'm planning on airbnb over hotels. Any potential input about that decision?
>>
>>1243706

I normally just eat whatever I'm in the mood for - sometimes street sweets, other times McDonald's or Dunkin' Donuts.

I got a lot of take-out from budget restaurants which would seem a bit dingy by Western standards. However, there's no beating either the flavor or the price at a lot of these places. Around the corner from where I stayed last time in Delhi, there was a small Indian-Chinese lunchroom that was crowded around the clock.

I'd order combinations of varied noodles and meat a few times per week. Their "half" servings were always more than I could eat in one sitting and I rarely paid over 120 rupees (that's a little less than $2).

Can't comment on AirBnB, since I've never used it in India or elsewhere. In India I've primarily used Hostelworld (for hostels and hotels) as well as Oyo Rooms.

Oyo Rooms is a smartphone app for properties in India. Unless you want to rent a room in someone else's house, I think it's a great option. There are usually decent discounts, and all the properties are supposed to meet certain quality standards (AC, running water, room service, and so forth). Most of the options in bigger cities are between $10 and $30 per night. If you pay over $30, you'll usually be in a nice place. The only exception is Mumbai, where property prices are high enough that you have to stay in a real shit-hole to be on a budget.

Finding lodging is never much of an issue in India, unless you're traveling to a small but popular getaway or if you're going to a city on a holiday.
>>
>>1243709
I've had McDonalds in a few different countries... they always tasted way off (customized for the local pallets I presume), is this the case with India as well?
Thanks for the sites, I'll definitely be checking them out!

I've never stayed in a hostel, are they safe to leave your things in if you go out for the day? Surely they have lockers in all of them?

Also, how common is shitting in the streets? How common are regular toilets vs holes in the floor? This is my main concern about India.
>>
>>1243715

McDonald's in India is very different from McDonald's elsewhere, due to the complete absence of both pork and beef from the menu.

All of the burgers are chicken or vegetarian (potato, paneer, etc). Their version of the Big Mac is called the "Chicken Maharaja Mac," which is decked out with tomato and jalapenos. Not similar at all.

Fries are the same, though.

Hostels are your call with property safety. Most do have lockers or restricted "safe rooms," but sometimes shitheads come in with bolt cutters and try to get into lockers when nobody is in the room (and by the way, those shithead are usually your fellow backpackers).

Having said that, I've left my laptops and phone on hotel beds to charge and never had an issues. Nine times out of ten you won't, but be very careful until you get to know the folks in your room or if a new fellow comes in.

I've actually never seen shitting in the streets. I know it happens in rural areas - I've seen that - but the meme-worthy "designated" streets exist only in very impoverished areas, like slums. Hotels, hostels, and all mid-class restaurants will have Western-style toilets. You'll be forced to use "Indian-style" toilets on occasion, which are porcelain holes in the ground with a bucket full of water.

They're not as bad as they seem. Whether they're dirty or well-kept depends on the clientele of the establishment.
>>
You mentioned smart phones earlier. Do you just have to get an international plan or just get a phone when you arrive in the country or what?

I'll probably get a disc lock and bring that with me. You can't cut those with bolt cutters, you have to grind them off. I did some time in the military. The saying for keeping everything locked up was "Keeping honest people honest".

How much is a decent quality hotel on average?
>>
>>1243719

You can get a SIM from a company like Airtel or Vodafone shortly after arriving.

Due to regulations which were imposed on prepaid customers following the Mumbai attacks, it's necessary to wait between one and three days for activation. You have to fill out an application to receive your SIM, affix a passport-sized photograph, and wait for the company to call and ask several questions.

While it is possible to buy prepaid SIMs "on black," I'd recommend not. Oftentimes pre-activated SIMs are either stolen or were purchased with falsified credentials. If the phone company figures it out - and sometimes they do - they'll cut off your service without warning.

Talking and texting is cheap (1 Rs per 1 minute/.5-1 Rs per text). Data runs 300 Rs/$5 per 1GB but shit is changing rapidly. Reliance introduced their "Jio" SIM shortly before I last left, which had unlimited free data for its first few months. Other phone companies followed suit with competing offers, which will hopefully drive down the cost of data.

"Decent" depends on your tastes. If you're okay with a clean-ish room, noisy AC, and bland shower, you can find places for between $10 and $15 per night in tourist ghetto neighborhoods like Delhi's Paharganj. For most consistent quality, expect to pay between $20 and $40.

Five-star hotels in Delhi can be booked starting around $70 or $80 per night; lodging is generally inexpensive in India, but you really do get what you pay for on the lower end.
>>
>>1243650

This, anyone talking to you in Delhi, that starts the conversation, "Hey nice shoes" or "Hey nice glasses" is a scammer, eventually you can pick them out, they'll be walking in front you and slow their pace until they are shoulder to shoulder.
>>
>>1243706
>Did you eat street food often or mostly restaurants?

There is no difference between restaurants and street food, the owner of the restaurant could afford a dining room, that's all the kitchen will look the same as the street, you just can't see it. It would be a shame to miss out on the street food, get into it as soon as possible to acclimatize your stomach, in six months I got sick once. No big deal, it was 2 days.

Restaurants are deceiving, I went to a nice looking place in Kolkata, and ordered fish curry, it was cold when it arrived, so I sent it back, then 2 minutes later they bring it out, the same fish, I asked if they microwaved it, they said yes. Fuck that. On the street especially in Kolkata you see people cooking right in front of your face, in this sense it is better.
>>
>>1243720

I got an awesome room in Paharganj, Arakashan road, Amax Inn a with a good rooftop restaurant. 8 $ a night for a single room, hot shower, way fucking better than $20 US for a dorm in Myanmar.
>>
>>1243702
>I didn't go near the stuff

You missed out.
>>
>>1243816
haha, I guess I'll be a pro at spotting scammers by the time I leave India.

>>1243817
yeah, being able to see them cook it would probably help me feel more comfortable with their cleanliness or lack there of.

Did you drink the water? Did you have a filter?

>>1243818
Did they have regular toilets ?
>>
>>1243676
The general litmus test for street food is looking at the clientele, as well as the preparation method.

If a stall has a very long line of locals, the food is generally in acceptable condition. If the line is very short, or if it's mostly tourists, tread with caution.

Also take a gander at how the food is prepared. If it's constantly boiling in a fiery cauldron, or if it's freshly deep-fried, there's minimal risk of contaminants. If it's normally served cold/warm, or if it's normally cooked very hot but left to sit out, then be careful.
>>
>>1243718
Does India actually have "counterfeit" McDonald's restaurants?

I remember watching a movie called "Outsourced," where a white American man moves to India to manage a call center. He ended up missing McDonald's so much that he went crazy looking for one, and ended up in a lookalike called "MacDonnell's."

I know, I know that movies are a terrible source of information, but I thought it seemed plausible, and it seems like such a little thing to make up.
>>
>>1243886
>Did you drink the water? Did you have a filter?
I'm not the person you're replying to, nor have I been to India, but my understanding of travel/survival water filters (such as LifeStraw or Sawyer) is that they're designed to keep particulates out. So they do an excellent job of filtering dirt, sand, rocks, sediments, etc., but not so good at filtering germs, bacteria, viruses, etc.
>>
>>1244019
Any recommendations on how to filter germs etc other than bottled/canned or boiling?
>>
>>1244023
Iodine/water purification tablets.
>>
>>1244023
Just drink bottled water. They sell it everywhere and it is very cheap. Filtering the tap-water in India is iffy at best and you might still get sick due to different chemicals.

>Did they have regular toilets ?
Anywhere built for tourists will have regular toilets - so hotels, large restaurants etc... Most everywhere else will be squat toilets, toilet paper goes in the wastebin (most people find this disgusting, I concur). Sometimes there will be no paper and just water, so you might want to carry some around in your bag if you are an unpredictable defecator.
>>
>>1244037
>Sometimes there will be no paper and just water, so you might want to carry some around in your bag if you are an unpredictable defecator.
lel, I was planning on bringing baby wipes anyway. Not just for impromptu shitting, but because I have an admittedly prejudicial mistrust of the locals' personal hygiene.
>>
Bad idea to travel to India as an Asian?

By "Asian," I mean the yellowskin gook types. I hear that Indians dislike the Chinese, and it would be pretty easy to mistake any yellow Asian for one of them.
>>
>>1244025
do they sell those in India as well or should I just get a massive stock of them before I head out?

>>1244037
I saw a video where they were refilling water bottles and resealing them with super glue... the person recommended cans for that reason. Is it really much of an issue?

Off the top of your head, how much do you think the minimum price would be for a hotel with a regular toilet?
>>
>>1244046
You could *probably* find them in India. The locals themselves need to drink water too, after all.

However, it would be much easier to just buy them in your home country.
>>
>>1244047
For a lot of places like that the locals are adjusted to the water... granted I have no idea just how bad their water is, so maybe they need them after all.

I think you're right though, I'll just stock up on them before I leave, one less thing to worry about.
>>
>>1244040
I dont see how it would be a problem, people just wouldnt be that interested in you compared to a white person. Are you chinese? There are a few nationalists but theres never a problem where people just bully others for no reason. It might not be what you expect but there are a few videos on youtube about asian people traveling in india and they seemed to find it ok.

>>1244046
Just buy some before you go, you can find generic versions of most drugs in india. I bought a bunch of generic viagra for shits and giggles on my last trip. It cost like rs200 rupees for a 4 pack which was less than $3.50.

The water should be fine, buy the water from a decent looking store not some 2x3 road side box in a village. Or you can just stick with coke/pepsi and other juice drinks. I liked drinking sprite and mazaa/frooti(mango juice) in india. Its kinda cheap too.
>>
>>1244070
I've had Frooti before, and I think it induced the shits. Every time I've had one, I've always needed to shit. I'm not even trying to question the water quality, but I do believe that exotic fruits do give some people the shits, though.

If what I'm saying holds any water (lel), then I don't think drinking Frooti would help. Anon is trying to mind his beverages to mitigate the shits, not aggravate it.
>>
>>1244055
I think in most places in India even the locals don't drink the water. Even ignoring the micro-organisms, the pipes are old and badly made so there are a lot of other toxic compounds in there.
>>
>>1244070
>Are you chinese?
No, I'm Korean-American. I've been mistaken for Chinese in at least five countries already, so I wouldn't discount the possibility of it happening in India as well.
>>
Is India, or at least the tourism-based areas, known for accepting foreign currency?

I can obtain Rupees just fine, but it seems like a monumental hassle to carry a fat wad of Rupees when I could be carrying a smaller stack of Dollars or Pounds instead.
>>
>>1244093
I'm sure some higher end places might take them (never tried though), but it's common courtesy to use the local currency. Everywhere I've ever been to will look at you funny and be kind of pissed if you pay them in other countries' money, and India is likely to not be an exception to that. Taking foriegn money is better than not getting paid, but they have to convert it and they will likely be both pissed, and charge you a pretty massive premium for conversion. So yeah, even if you can, don't.
>>
>>1244070
You don't need prescriptions over there?

>>1244073
How long after you drank it did it give you the shits? I'd like to try it out, maybe purchase a bottle and drink it when I get back to my room as a precaution for my moment of truth.

>>1244074
Are you still gross after you shower?
>>
>>1244093

Rarely.

Some businesses which deal primarily with international tourists might consider or suggest payment in dollars or pounds. I wouldn't hinge on it, though.
>>
File: Nilgiri_Mountain_Train.jpg (103KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Nilgiri_Mountain_Train.jpg
103KB, 800x600px
>>1243562
I remember a few years back watching some BBC documentaries on Youtube about Indian hill railways. There's one up in Darjeeling, I believe, and one further south. The scenery is spectacular and the ride looks astonishing, running up streets with cars and pedestrians. If there are links below, I'm in a better mood than I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuqoAe1fNts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D2swGCs9fs

Oh. Look at that.
>>
>>1243886

yeah, but the longer you stay in India, you're gonna come across the squat style...it's why you're going. It makes you feel like an animal, and also that it is not so bad to come in contact with your animal nature.
>>
I've been in India for the past two weeks, currently in Delhi and flying to Kerala tomorrow. Does anyone have recommendations for things to do in the South? I'll be heading North from Kerala to Mumbai over 2 weeks, likely with a stop in Goa.
>>
>>1243709
ryan is that you? i miss you my nigga, whats your next trip?
>>
>>1244161

>can't remember if this is Bartosz or Jarrod

Going to Ecuador on Monday.
>>
>>1244204
Neither lol it's eias
are you doing a south american trip?
>>
>>1244251

Oh, my bad! How are you? Sorry I didn't catch you again in India - I wound up getting really sick for a week and a half.

I'm just doing two weeks in Ecuador, coming home to work for another three, and then Mexico, Tanzania, Uganda, Egypt, and India, from June until January. Then I'm going to wrap up my studies and hopefully do a grad program.

You were going to medical school, right?
>>
>>1244289

>mfw my sister is married to a woman
>>
>>1244285
Im good man, did SEA and taiwan/singapore after india, obviously >>1244289 is not me, i finished school before i started travelling, im working in a hospital now here and i'm planning to travel somewhere in december though not sure where yet, tell me how uganda and tanzania goes i'm interested about going there.
>>
>>1244407
For fucks sake you retard, at least pretend like you speak English if you're going to try and shit up my friendships.
>>
>>1244107
>How long after you drank it did it give you the shits? I'd like to try it out, maybe purchase a bottle and drink it when I get back to my room as a precaution for my moment of truth.
I'll be real with you here: I didn't exactly time how long it would take for Frooti to give me the runs, because I wasn't anticipating such results.

I will at least say that when the time came to shit, the floodgates were about to burst. It was very definitely within the same day. Unlike most normal shits, where you can calmly make your way to the bathroom, this shit doesn't give you time to think. You gotta shit, and you gotta find a toilet within seconds.
>>
>>1244416
yeah, I wasn't expecting something precise. Knowing it was the same day was basically all I needed to know. I wonder, would it be worth ordering a bottle to the states so I can try it at home instead of being in a foreign country when nature potentially strikes.
>>
>>1244434
Check to see if it's available in your local markets.

I've never been to India in my life. I've been lurking in this thread because I'm interested in going to India, and someone just happened to mention Frooti.

I can readily obtain Frooti from several grocery stores & supermarkets in my area. It's ridiculously cheap. The cost is a fraction of comparable fruit-based beverages.
>>
So with all these scammers in India, how do you tell them apart?

Apparently some of them impersonate cops, transportation officials, government officials, tour operators, etc. How do I tell the bullshit ones apart? It would be awfully embarrassing if I accidentally told a real cop to fuck off.
>>
>>1244453
That's a really good question, I hope it gets answered.

>>1243659
How do the values/morals of the average Indian woman stack up to those of an average American one?
>>
>>1244463

99% of people in India are scammers to varying extents, don't think a real cop won't try and fuck you over because he might.

>>1244463
It depends, they have more of a strict social order to rebel against so if they're going to be slutty they'll do it a big way.
>>
>>1244040
Indian here.

We don't hate the chinese.
>>
There is almost no street food in India like there is in Thailand where they have those mobile stalls where noodles or rice with meat are cooked. In India these stalls sell only different types of baked bread and 'samosa' (baked pie) which I would rather call snacks. I've never seen main courses like curries prepared in the streets, it's always in a stationary restaurant. Restaurants are surprisingly scarse, at least in the northern part, apparently most Indians don't eat out.
Prices in a local restaurant are like this:
Vegetarian Thali (rice + bread + 3-5 different small curries served on one plate) - 80-120 Rs, can go as low as 50 but it will be only two curries and usually not that good for such price
One single big veg course between 50 and 150 Rs.
Chicken tikka (barbecue) 120-150 Rs
Checken tandoori (grilled) 160-200 Half, 300-350 full
Soup 40-60 Rs
Fried noodles (with egg/vegetables) 50-80 Rs
Tea 10-15 Rs
Chapati bread 5-10 Rs per piece
>>
>>1245090

dont forget, thali is unlimited
>>
>>1245090
>I've never seen main courses like curries prepared in the streets
Good.

Curry is probably the last thing that I want to eat off the streets. I want that shit fresh from the pot/pan, not sitting outside in a food warmer, if even that.
>>
>>1245165
>Curry is probably the last thing that I want to >eat off the streets. I want that shit fresh from >the pot/pan, not sitting outside in a food >warmer, if even that.

Does curry go bad? Or is it just more of an issue of bugs/etc potentially getting into it?
>>
>>1245176
Certain types of curry are yogurt or cream-based. Generally speaking, you want dairy products to be either hot or cold. Lukewarm is tolerable up to a certain point, but if left that way for too long, it can go bad. You do not want to give germs & bacteria (most of which comes from outdoors) a survivable environment to live in.

I might be more willing to try outdoor curry if the pot is sitting on an open fire or some shit.
>>
>>1245229
lel

Thinking of going to India, so I've been looking up "India tourist scams" online, because I've heard so much through anecdote that it's easy to get scammed there.

Then when I actually start reading more and more stories, and watching more and more videos, nearly all of them happened in Delhi.

What the fuck is exactly happening there? Are any other parts of India just as bad or worse?
>>
>>1245229

I lived in Delhi for two years, fucktard.
>>
>>1245240
What would you say about Delhi to an American that had never been there before?
>>
>>1245248

Why do people like you even come to /trv/?

Go back to your containment board.
>>
>>1245247
Not this dude but I know the fucking place.

It's nice but you have to do it a certain way, understand that there's going to be days where you're not going to want all the bullshit. Luckily there's nice bars, hotels and malls where you can spend your time after booking an uber.

People are obsessed with race and you will be reminded you are white by literally every social interaction you have which can get pretty frustrating.
>>
>>1245729
That's interesting you say that.
I've travelled a bit around SEA and even eastern Europe and I'm mixed, What do you think Indians reaction to that would be? how do they generally react to black people or even people who look levantine
>>
>>1245778
Forgot to add, that people generally do the occasional awe and curiosity and love touching my hair, but never anything negative.
>>
>>1245778
>black
You'll probably hear "kallu" a lot.
>>
Just be cool and travel.
Its totally safe.. I live here..
You are my brother .
Okay.
>>
>>1245778
They will ask you stupid fucking questions without fail. Plebs might be very hostile to you depending on how dark your skin is and rich people will be patronising. This isn't to say you won't meet some cool people but like 99% of Indians are weird.
>>
>>1245848
Well I get stupid questions non stop here so whatever. I'm fairly light skin and mixed with a bit to the point im a little bit ambiguous
>>
>>1245729
haha, what kind of stuff do they say about white people?
>>
>>1245868

>Why are you so very white sir
>are your parents this white
>does it hurt to be in the sun
>did you know white people are very beautiful
>i once heard of a white person who did this really bad thing

it basically veers between creepy as fuck worship and passive aggressive critism, the best Indian people are the ones who don't give a fuck about your skin colour because then you can actually have a conversation with them as people.

Not to say it isn't fun feeling like a celebrity or whatever at a nightclub or something from time to time but you'll never make genuine friends with people who have a huge complex over your ethnicity.
>>
>>1245877

>like a celebrity at a nightclub

What the fuck kinds of places did you go to that you felt like a celebrity?

Sometimes I'd get to skip lines or get cut slack on dress codes in Delhi, but that's about it. The only people who'd come up to me when I was dancing or lounging around were the obnoxious sorts who wanted me to be their wingman or teach them how to get white girls or some stupid shit.
>>
>>1245928
>how to get white girls
1. Don't be a creep.
2. Use proper English grammar.
3. Don't speak in run-on sentences.

I strongly believe that their chances would increase if they could just do these three things. It's unfortunate that they aren't aware that they're doing this.
>>
>>1243562
Hi!
I was solo in India around 3 months this winter. English is enough everywhere.
>>
>>1246038
hey im thinking of heading off in about a month for about the same amount of time as you can you suggest some places i might want to go? im solo as well
>>
>>1246038
What parts did you visit?

Any "must visit" cities or locations?

Is English reliable even in small villages?
>>
check out mandawa
>>
>>1247007
what is in Mandawa?
>>
To those who have already been to India, how did you manage the laundry situation?
>>
>>1247729

You give the guy at the hotel your clothes and he has them washed. Sometimes they come back with a funky smell tho.
>>
>>1244453
Real cop won't go out of the way to bother you. Unless you're nigerian maybe
>>
>>1247919
Are some places good about not coming back without a smell and some aren't? or is it just kind of hit or miss if they'll smell or not?
>>
>>1247919
What if I intend on staying at a low-budget place?
>>
>>1248100

Not him, but they usually do a decent job with washing. The problem is that there are very few facilities with washing and drying machines, so you normally have to wait at least a day to get your laundry back.

Occasionally they'll fuck up and ruin sweaters or get spots of dye on your clothes, but it's not common.

Wrote in an earlier post that self-service laundromats are virtually impossible to find, although some hostels have primitive washing machines and clotheslines.
>>
>>1248175
How is the water quality that you wash your clothes with?
>>
>>1248136
My concern with a low budget place would be that the person washing clothes will only be used to cleaning shitty clothes so you'll risk damaging a suit or something.
>>
>>1248184
You wouldn't drink it but it won't fuck up your clothes unless they wash in in a shitty river or something
>>
So i want to get into Nepal, what's the best way by bus, foot or train to get there from varanasi. There seems to be a lot of information on the subject but nothing is that clear to me.

What do I need to do in terms of a tourist visa to get into nepal
>>
>>1248362
If I'm staying at a low-budget place, then it's generally unlikely that I'll be wearing a suit.

When I go on trips, I usually only wear/pack clothes that I don't mind getting ruined.

And when I was asking about low-budget places, I was actually more concerned about unavailability, not so much the quality of service. If I stayed at a place that didn't offer laundry, what should I do? If you don't know the answer to that, that's fine, but I'm clarifying anyway.
>>
>>1248428
wow what a cunt.
>>
>>1245234
>Are any other parts of India just as bad or worse?

Spent a week in Kolkata last November, just after most of their currency was cancelled. The only scams I encountered were foreign exchange. Though not so much scams as digraceful rates. Nobody actually lied.

Otherwise just the usual touts around Newmarket. "What are you shopping for sir," I got on the second day. I'm not shopping, I hate shopping. I told him, firmly but politely. No one bothered me again after that, word must have got around
>>
>>1243562
get every vaccine before you go and expect a lot of POO
>>
Since everything is so cheap, is there any reason to carry denominations greater than 100 rupees?
>>
>>1249354
Yes, most things are cheap but parallel to the shitness of India there is a society of cafes and bars where you'll find people educated to almost a western standard. You are more welcome in this part of India than the shit bit.
>>
I am doing a solo trip to Dharamshala and Triund. Anyone wanna join?

I will be doing a 3 day trek and stay in tents on around June 10
>>
>>1249699

>to almost a Western standard

Holy cringe.
>>
>>1249748
This is advice for travellers not reassurance for people's inferiority complexes.
>>
>>1249709
Id be down, I'm arriving in Kolkota around the 1st so I could probably swing that way
>>
>>1243562
Is India really racist? I am a African American male looking to travel to India for a month should I be ok or should I look to travel elsewhere?
>>
>>1251098
Are they bias like anywhere else in the world to ethnicity that isnt theirs? absolutely. Racist? Na. Go to India my dude and enjoy
>>
>>1251100
So I should be safe for the most part, also how much should I bring to travel around the country via train? is 2k usd enough for a month?
>>
>>1244617
How do you guys feel about African Americans?
>>
>>1251112
Lol incredibly, I'm mixed if that's any added confidence.
As to money, It depends on how you want to travel, live,do and eat. For all of us that's different. 2000 usd should be more than enough though for a month
>>
>>1251121
Will people both me, will I be able to get a room in a decent hotel without hassle because of my skin color? Also do I need a licence to drive one of those bike thingies ?
>>
>>1251122
You'll be left alone, maybe an occasional glace of curiosity in smaller towns. If you have money you'll get a room or even be able to hitchhike if you're into that.

A moped? You technically need an international drivers licence or something like that iirc
>>
>>1251123
Im assuming Indian chicks aren't crazy over African Americans?
>>
>>1251127
I've said it over several posts, stop worrying about your race, its getting annoying.
India is a fairly conservative and traditional country.There are chicks that are after westerners and that sort of thing though.
If you're going to India just to fuck, just go to Thailand.
>>
>>1251122
You will get loads of shit from people but they can all fuck off. You should stick to bigger international branded hotels, local ones will throw a fit if a black guy brings an indian girl back.

The treatment of blacks in India is currently a diplomatic point of interest. But if you are well travelled and book things online you should be ok. People might call you "their nigger" in a cringe way.

Read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-39482239
>>
>>1251137
This is fabricated hearsay desu, from kolkata

we do say nigger a lot though
>>
>>1251145
Elaborate
>>1251130
Before I drop a few grand on a trip It would be nice to know that I am not going to get jumped and killed by the locals.
>>
>>1251155
It won't happen if you have a couple of grand, you'll have a nicer time being driven from hotel to hotel but the moment you step out of a very comfy and worthwhile bubble you'll be confronted with a ridiculous prejudice and bigotry from fucking retards.
>>
>>1251120

Go to Thailand if you're trying to get laid.

Most liberal Indian women I know won't touch a black man with a ten-foot pole, even if they're attracted to them. If dating white guys is taboo, being with a black is considered downright shameful.

Lived in India for two years and dated plenty of Indian chicks. A few I'd met off Tinder had been with white guys in the past, but none with black dudes. That's in part because the majority of blacks in India are poor Nigerians.

Of course, there are exceptions. I met an extremely suave African-American man in Delhi who must have been pulling pussy left and right, albeit fairly covertly. I'd have sucked his dick if I were a woman, TBQH - dude was ridiculously charming.

But no matter what color you are, going India to fuck is just a bad idea. There's a reason why sex tourists line the beaches of places like Pattaya and not Goa, and it's that, even if India has some sluts, it's still an incredibly conservative country.
>>
>>1251163
Tinder as a white guy is pretty gd tho
>>
>>1251163
Basically this. Especially if you're this self conscious about race now
>>
>>1251165

That's true, but in my experience, getting laid in India still requires a bit of a time investment. Some girls will put out on the first date, like anywhere else, but I've found even the easy ones tend to want to get to know you for a day or two.

Having said that, it's not difficult for a white guy to get laid if he's living in a city or staying long-term. If you have your own place and are comfortable enough with Indian culture to not annoy the shit out of women, then it's not bad at all.

If you're really good-looking and in a city like Mumbai or Bangalore where a lot of women are working or don't live with family, then it's the same as anywhere else, IMO.

Nevertheless, I've found that most Indian women prefer Indian men, if only because there's no communication barrier and because they won't have to deal with the hassle of getting stared at and having shit yelled at them every time they went outside.

My first GF was from Delhi and very attractive. Every time we went out in public, we'd have to deal with weird comments and sometimes outright harassment.
>>
>>1249699
Yeah, there will be maybe 5 bars (still stuck in 1990's) in a 10-million city, and none in a smaller city with a mere 1 million people.
>>
>>1249354
India isn't really that cheap, only slightly cheaper than Thailand. Unless you eat only liquid 50 rupee thali and travel only in General class.
>>
>>1248175
sweaters?
what kind of temperatures does it get down to? Ideally I'd be there after may (I've read it's the hottest month).

>>1251130
Do the ones that go after westerners typically have shitty western values?

>>1251215
How much would you estimate it would cost for a decent quality of life for a month? What would you estimate a cheap quality of life costing for a month? Care to give definitions of what each would entail?
>>
>>1251460

Have you done any reading on India?

Some of the highest mountains in the world are in India. If you're in the Himalayas, temperatures can get right chilly even on summer nights.

In Delhi, it gets close to freezing at night in winter. Few buildings or hotels are equipped with anything more than low-quality budget heaters.

Moreover, I've lived in India. If you stay somewhere and watch the temperature go from being upwards of 100F every day to 65F or so, you get cool.

I agree with another poster - please stop babbling so much about "muh dick" and "muh brown girls." It's fucking obnoxious.

(assuming you're the same black guy who won't shut up about it)
>>
>>1251500
That guy left a few post ago lol.
>>
>>1251500
>65F or so
That's about 18C.

I live in a country where winters can be 0C at its warmest, and around -24C at its coldest. It can get even colder than that, though.

18C is typically our spring/early summer temperature. I think I'm gonna love Indian winters.
>>
>>1251565

I live in the northern United States. Our winters are occasionally worse.

If you stay through summer into winter, then 65F will feel a bit cool. But yes, if you fly from wherever you're from into Delhi in December, then it'll be a pleasant change.

I've done both.

Do bear in mind that nighttime temperatures of 30-40F can feel much worse when you're in a building designed to stay cool and is without central heat or any warming facilities whatsoever.
>>
>>1251585
I do plan on packing some warm clothes anyway, but only because I'm thinking of going to Bhutan right after.
>>
>>1251215
That's more than okay with me, I already perceive Thailand as really cheap. If India is slightly cheaper, I still like that.
>>
>>1251500
>>1251500
No, I'm a white dude and I think that might have been the only comment I made about it in this thread.

I've done some reading on it and slowly trying to learn Hindi, I'm still a bit out from my trip.
>>
>>1251596
Do you speak English primarily?

Knowing Hindi will have some use, but the language in India is incredibly diverse.

What works in one city will be useless in another.
>>
>>1251759
Yes, I'm an Americunt.

It's my understanding that a lot of people will speak english, but I'm trying to learn very basic Hindi for emergencies.
>>
Hey lads, its me, guy interning in New Delhi for a month.

My travel plans around India have been crushed by exam timetables so now its really get in, work, go away on weekends and fly back home when I'm done, still gonna be tops.

Does anyone know of any tailors in Delhi that take orders online? I'm interested in getting a couple of bespoke suits the weekend before I start work
>>
>>1243650
I hope you read this delhibro. I will be spending one day in delhi on the 28th and want a good place to get a room for the night, cloae to some traditional markets (looking to get a curta or two for my friends) was thinking paharganj but that sounds a bit hectic. Somethinh close to metroline and not too far from airport would be ideal. Been in india 6 months now and just spending one day in delhi before flying out. Thanks ji
>>
In big cities, there is also this app called "Ola" which is quite similar to uber.

Idk, might come in helpful to have it downloaded
>>
>>1244018
India has actual McDonald's anon

But you surely must expect a different menu compared to the one from the American ones
>>
>>1252544
Yes, I am fully aware that India has real McDonald's.

I'm specifically asking about the fake McDonald's. I saw 'em in a movie (again, poor source of information, but seems plausible), and I would like to visit one for shits and giggles.
>>
>>1252539

Uber is better than Ola in most cities I've visited, in regards to total number of drivers. The glaring exception was Kolkata.

I also found Ola drivers to be generally less competent and honest than Uber drivers. One fellow arrived at an intersection near my hotel, only to veer off in another direction after I'd fallen asleep.

>>1252548

I've never seen a fake Mcdonalds in India.

There's a small chain in Delhi and the NCR called Burger Singh, which is amazing.
>>
>>1252539
>>1252553
I've heard that conventional taxis/rickshaws are still more efficient/cheaper, even with the blatant dishonesty.
>>
>>1243562
So I know this probably belongs in an /out/ gear thread but im travelling india (mainly north/north east) solo for a while, what shoes should i get?
>>
>>1252563
Not sandals.
I've been romping around in a pair of Sambas for 2 years and im pretty happy. It all depends on what you plan to do though. I mostly hitchhike or walk from place to place and spend a lot of time in and around cities.
>>
>>1252586
I think I'll end up doing a bit of trekking so i am considered some merrell moabs, also will i look like a dick with a hiking pack around cities?
>>
>>1252594
Those are a good choice especially if you plan on hiking for sure, terrain here isnt even at all.
What do you mean, like a full 50l+ kit? youll get glances and probably hassled more. Plus you'll get tired quicker especially with how dense cities in india are.
If you have a day pack, I'd advise that.
>>
>>1252557

That's iffy.

I'm the guy who's been to India seven times and lived in Delhi for a while, as well as the fellow you're replying to.

When I'm in the city, I tend to either take the Metro and walk to my destination or book an Uber. Auto-rickshaws can be considerably cheaper than taxis ordered through ride-sharing apps, but I've gotten to the point where I just don't regard the savings as worth the hassle.

For instance, one time, when I was leaning Hauz Khas Village early in the morning with an Indian friend, we had a gang of auto drivers refuse to take us to the Saket Metro station for less than 300 Rs on a ride that should cost maybe 50 or 60 Rs at night, max.

I booked an Uber and got an air-conditioned, bullshit-free ride for 60 or 70 Rs.

In busy or touristic spots, like Connaught Place, it can take upwards of ten or twenty minutes to find an auto-wala willing to travel with the meter or for a non-extortionate price. I don't bother any more.

Some of the residential neighborhoods I used to live in, like Kalkaji and Jangpura, weren't nearly as bad. I could usually get an affordable auto quickly. Nobody bothered me in the streets or tried to sell me trinkets, because both were middle-class localities with little to see or do for tourists. Even though I'm white and blond, I'd normally only have to bargain with one or two drivers for a good price.

If I don't know where I'm going or roughly what the fare should be, I almost always default to Uber or the Metro or some combination thereof.

I've never had any issues in dozens, if not hundreds of Uber rides across multiple major cities. The drivers can't really even pretend to get lost en route, since Uber provides navigation via Google Maps.

>>1252594

I have a pair of Merrell Moab mid waterproof boots I bought before coming to Ecuador (last full day here and back in Quito to do some work and sit around on my ass).

They're pretty good boots. If you're going for the waterproof variety, I'll warn
>>
>>1252661

Cont.

You that they can get very toasty in warm and humid climates.

They were great for hiking around Quilotoa, a volcanic lake, as well as the volcano Cotopaxi and some national parks, but god forbid the temperature gets too high.

I would recommend taking a normal-sized hiking pack plus a day bag for shorter excursions.

Not everyone will agree with me here, but I consider sandals a must for India, especially in the monsoon. There's so much humidity and heat that you'll sweat through your socks in seconds. Moreover, it's easier to wear sandals in monsoons since smaller roads routinely flood.

Maybe look into some hiking sandals? Never gone that route myself, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea for urban walking.

If you're planning to do any serious hiking in the Himalayas then boots or trail shoes are a must. I went up to Gangabal solo in 2014 and shredded my Nikes on the descent back to Naranag. The trails were so sandy that I kept sliding and getting laughed at by shepherds.

Probably a dumb mistake, but I'm from a pretty flat place here in the States and thought I could take the risk of being a bit underprepared.
>>
>>1252661
Thoughts on this video? Load of shit I'm guessing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Gaga-IXjs
>>
>>1252667

I've never met anyone in Delhi who calls auto rickshaws "tuk tuks." The only people who use that term are driversand tourist agencies accustomed to dealing with Western tourists.

If you're flagging a three-wheeled taxi off the street, you tell, "Auto!"

It's not a load of shit, actually. Autos can navigate traffic better than vehicles, due both to the drivers' experience and their superior maneuverability in traffic.

Same deal if I'm on a bike - Google will tell me 40 minutes and I'll arrive in half that, since I can split lanes.

I genuinely enjoy taking auto-rickshaws and wish I could use them more often. The problem is that in many Indian cities, Delhi included, the drivers ("auto-walas") will rarely turn on their meter. If you're visibly or distinctly foreign - this goes for visiting Indians as well as international tourists - many will either attempt to gouge you on the fare or will turn on the meter and intentionally get lost.

I once had a driver take me from the Vaishali Metro Station to Shakthi Kund IV in Ghaziabad - a ten minute, 40 rupee ride.

One day, a driver pretended to get lost, not realising I can read Hindi and that we were underneath a sign that clearly said "Shakthi Kund IV" with an arrow pointing ahead. He later demanded 100 rupees for the inconvenience and wouldn't give me change, so I had to go to a handful of stores to ask.

That's what makes autos problematic - many of the drivers are scammers and will take you on a wild goose chase.

I've had them take longer routes, intentionally hit traffic, and try to pick up customers, on top of never having change or continuously getting lost and asking for extra for the trouble. Grab an auto from the Barakhamba Road Metro to go to CP and there's a chance the driver will take you to the zoo or a handicrafts emporium and tell you it's Connaught Place.

Autos are great, as are honest auto-walas. The problem is that so many auto-walas are dishonest that I don't bother.
>>
>>1252673
Cont

Look up stories of how some auto walas in Bangalore act and it's no fucking wonder these guys are losing big to Uber.

They refuse to use their meters, can be intensely rude, and sometimes drive drunk.

Then they have the nerve to complain about Uber stealing their business when literally all they have to do is turn their fucking meters on and do their jobs properly, instead of waiting 40 minutes for one 200 Rs fare.
>>
>>1252331
what are some must visit places in india? I'm planning an extended trip there.
>>
>>1252586
how safe is hitch hiking in india? Will they try to make you do gay shit or do they just give you a lift because they're nice people?
>>
>>1252674

Post note, blame doesn't lie entirely with drivers. City governments fuck them up pretty bad, but the inconveniences still mean no autos for me.
>>
Uber is the way to go, my only advice is that if you select the pay in cash option you're likely to have the bastard tell you he has no change.
>>
>>1252677
Don't do it. It will be weird and uncomfortable and they'll take photos of you
>>
>>1252683
my whole life is weird and uncomfortable, but at least it won't be weird/uncomfortable/resisting the gay agenda.... so that would actually be an improvement for me, which is nice.
>>
>>1252677
It's a decent experience, I usually cough up a bit of spare change if I have it or share a meal. Drivers willing to pick you up are usually decent people.
>>
>>1243562
is two months long enough to experience the north/north east of india? its a lot easier getting a two month visa but is it enough?
>>
>>1253075
if you fall in love with the place you'll need to spend the rest of your life exploring it if not more. However for a first trip two months is heaps.
>>
>>1252816
Is it like hitch hiking in the US where you just walk along side the road with your thumb up?

What is hitch hiker etiquette?
>>
>>1253134
Works better in North Africa.

For India just wave your hand at cars and be clear you have no money as some cabs will assume youre looking for fare.

Be patient, and be friendly and share something like food if you have it.
>>
>>1243562
Trust me, you must go to Sikkim. Much more like nepal or bhutan, much cleaner, beautiful views
>>
>>1253075
indias so big theres a lot to see. But also by that time youll be fucken sick of india and you will want to go back to some western first world country. BELIEVE ME. I might dump some pics of my indiar trip
>>
File: P1010282.jpg (988KB, 3354x4472px) Image search: [Google]
P1010282.jpg
988KB, 3354x4472px
>>1253294
>>
File: P1010518-2.jpg (390KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
P1010518-2.jpg
390KB, 1000x563px
>>1253294
sorry for the tryhard photography
>>
File: P1010201.jpg (5MB, 3456x4085px) Image search: [Google]
P1010201.jpg
5MB, 3456x4085px
>>1253294
>>
>>1243562
I've heard there was a sharp increase in monuments/temples entry fees recently.

How does that play into the budget of an extended trip where I was planning on visiting a lot of monuments? Has anyone been to India recently
>>
File: P1010718.jpg (5MB, 4369x2988px) Image search: [Google]
P1010718.jpg
5MB, 4369x2988px
>>1253330
i went there 4 months ago and ye the monument visits wernet fokken cheap man. I do not remember exactly but maybe entrance to a particular something was 20-50 dollars. In many ways it is western pricing.
>>
File: P1010692.jpg (4MB, 4474x3456px) Image search: [Google]
P1010692.jpg
4MB, 4474x3456px
>>1253333
>>
>>1253333
$20-50 is way out of my budget, I was planning on visiting a lot of monuments. How come it's more expensive than most monuments here in europe

nice quads
>>
File: P1010470.jpg (534KB, 1000x761px) Image search: [Google]
P1010470.jpg
534KB, 1000x761px
>>1253354
thats right dude, I am from Australia and I was hoping to have a budget friendly month in India. Yes it can be budget friendly but if you want to see some of the old palaces and heritage sites then expect to pay a fair bit. The reason is also because of dual pricing. For example the Taj Mahal costs 1 dollar for locals, and 50 dollars for foreigners. It realy ate into our spending to see these beautiful monuments.
>>
File: P1010696.jpg (4MB, 4206x3150px) Image search: [Google]
P1010696.jpg
4MB, 4206x3150px
>>1253362
>>
File: P1010128.jpg (3MB, 4302x3074px) Image search: [Google]
P1010128.jpg
3MB, 4302x3074px
>>1253366
>>
File: P1010690.jpg (3MB, 4477x3347px) Image search: [Google]
P1010690.jpg
3MB, 4477x3347px
>>1253368
>>
>>1253362
Which part of India did you visit and how much monuments and sites did you average in a month?
>>
>>1253362

Want to clarify he means Australian dollars.

Entry to the Taj is 750 rupees, which is about $12 USD.
>>
>>1253373

Most monuments in India cost between 150 and 250 Rs to enter, which is between $2 and $4.

I don't think it'd be a big part of your budget unless you're hitting up multiple historic sites every day.

Not that guy, by the way, but he's really exaggerating how expensive it is to see shit.

If you can't afford $12 for the Taj then I dunno what to tell you.

Edit: they raised the price of the Taj to 1000 rupees, which is $15 USD (when I went to Agra in 2013 it was 750 Rs).

That's like $20 AUD, I have no clue where the fuck that guy got $50 from.
>>
>>1253378
Yeah but prices seems to have increased exponentially since 2013 (around 2016 according to indian websites) and I can't find first hand info on the price increase.

I'm able to afford $12 for a visit but I was planning on staying for a few months and an extra $20 per day will eat up my budget
>>
File: P1010085-2.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
P1010085-2.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>1253378
shit I think this guys right. I mustve fucked up with my memory.. I was used to paying for my other two friends whenever it was my turn to pay I think tahts what fucked me up.

I am sorry!
>>
>>1253376
thanks for the clarification, that makes a huge difference.
>>
The prices increased by 250 rs this year. Previously all UNESCO heritage sites were 250 rs, now they are 500 rs, and Taj Mahal is 1000 rs. Less popular sites cost 200 rs now.
>>
How difficult would it be for a decent looking mexican American to get laid there? I'm not doing sex tourism but I'll obviously get horny and want to get my dick wet. Also it seems like india is more about independent travel where as in other countries it's easier to run into other backpackers
>>
>>1253493
Just go to Pushkar or Rishikesh or Goa where hordes of other backpackers stay.
>>
File: expense-india.png (52KB, 887x397px) Image search: [Google]
expense-india.png
52KB, 887x397px
To those who asked about costs: here's the piechart of my expenses in India. This is for two people, 40 days (April 4th - May 13th)
>>
>>1253385
>>1253430

They haven't increased "exponentially." I've been to India six times since 2013, most recently within the last half year.

Most of the fees for historic sites are exactly what I remember from four years ago.

If you're doing a massive tour of every big site in Delhi, you might spend between $15 and $30 per day in entry fees. That's provided you don't do anything except hop from one spot to another, with sites like the Red Fort and Humayan's Tomb costing quite a bit more than less-visited counterparts like Purana Qila and Safdarjung's Tomb.

If you see one or two historic sites per day, you'll probably pay between $2 and $10 total. Shit like Agra Fort or certain castles in Rajasthan cost more to get into than, say, Delhi's Jantar Mantar, because they're way more popular and need more money for upkeep.

I personally cannot imagine visiting multiple historic sites every single day for a month on end, but if that's what you're all about, I don't see why you'd expect to only pay a couple dollars per day. India is cheap, but it isn't free.
>>
>>1253492
>>1253506

Didn't know about the 250->500 hike, though. Most of the places I visited in late 2016 were in the price range I expected from previous visits.

My bad.

I still think the majority of historical sites will be in the 250 Rs range.

There's so much free shit to do in India I just can't imagine this breaking somebody's budget.
>>
>>1253502
what kind of accommodation was that?
>>
>>1253376
Something still doesn't quite add up.

750 INR is indeed around $12 USD, I won't deny that.

But 750 INR is also around $15 AUD.

The anon you quoted said $50.
>>
>>1253580

He said in another post he goofed up the amount.

See: >>1253389
>>
>>1253560
Hotel rooms with A/C. Average cost is 800 rs/day. If you opt for non A/C, it will cost 300 or even as low as 200 rs, but in non-touristy cities foreigners are usually not allowed in such cheap hotels. If you visit India in winter you won't need A/C, but in April and May it is very hot.
>>
>>1253709
>foreigners are usually not allowed in ... hotels
That kind of defeats the purpose of a hotel, but okay.
>>
>>1253709
ye this is the cost of really shitty hotels. But if you arent a princess it'll be fine.

Also try to avoid not getting change back immediately and shit lik ethat, the delhi folks are scammers, the other bits of india are OK. but be cautious in a place like delhi they're fuckas
>>
>>1253711

>the only people who might want to stay at a hotel in a country of 1.25 billion people with a notorious shortage of hotel rooms are foreigners
>>
>>1253709
I stayed in some pretty cheap hotels, some where the hotel owners barely spoke english. Where did you experience this?
>>
>>1253811
What were the rooms like?

Also, how did you find them?
>>
I'm thinking about bangladesh this month and I wondered if anyone knew much about it

I hear it's much like india, but more expensive and less traveled
>>
>>1254826
rooms were dirty, one had rats but manageable. I'm fine with a little dirt though. I found just by talking to people, and backing out of hotels where I was clearly getting scammed. One guy took me around on his motorbike and found me a cheap hotel in amritsar. Small hotel with only a couple of rooms, like 20 women were staying in the room next to me.
>>
>>1254842
How hard is it to find cheap rooms? Generally how easy is it to find accomodations in both touristy and less touristy places
>>
>>1254842
>and backing out of hotels where I was clearly getting scammed

Can you elaborate on this please? I'm trying to get as much information as I can before I actually put boots on the ground.
>>
>>1251902
tailorman.com or bombayshrt company
>>
>>1254968
A lot of it is a learning process especially if it's your first time in a country like India. Getting people to help with finding a hotel can be tiresome because a lot of people who are eager to help might be getting commission from the hotel which inflates the price. Taxi and auto rickshaw drivers are the biggest offenders of this. The guy that took me to the hotel on the motorbike I met in a restaurant, he was a college kid. So try to get people to help who do not clearly deal with tourists every day. If it's your first time you will most likely get scammed but it's all apart of the experience. Can toughen you up to people trying to fuck you over.
>>
>>1254928
I didn't find it to hard. In a couple of the non touristy places was harder to find but cheap places existed, I just had to be more persistent
>>
>>1243720
>While it is possible to buy prepaid SIMs "on black," I'd recommend not. Oftentimes pre-activated SIMs are either stolen or were purchased with falsified credentials. If the phone company figures it out - and sometimes they do - they'll cut off your service without warning.

ChEaPeR?
If i wanted to buy one of these black cards where would I go to purchase one? and what is the cost allh?
>>
>>1255234

They tend to cost more when they're bought on black.
>>
Would 3k€ cover my expenses for a 6months backpacking trip?
>>
>>1255424
yes, it should if you're not throwing money around.

If you go pretty bare bones you can do 6 months for about $3k USD. That's not including plane ticket.
>>
>>1255431
Is there anything in particular to avoid spending on?

Is there anything in particular that is WORTH spending money on?
>>
>>1255485
I haven't gone yet, that's just information that I've gathered from my research.
>>
>>1255485
Interested in this as well
>>
I'm going to Pune actually in the next week or so. Any tips/suggestions for an extremely pale American?
>>
>>1255739
Specifically I'm wondering which place I should stay at..
>>
>>1243562
I'd spent several months traveling there. Everyone spoke English. I recommend Nasik. The caves and temples are cool. Goa is nice but too many Russians. Utter Pradesh has way more culture.
>>
>>1255877
Nasik is the place with the caves and temples?

How deep into the caves can you go?
Thread posts: 218
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.