[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

L O N D O N general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

File: 1473532817113-fit.jpg (815KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1473532817113-fit.jpg
815KB, 1000x1333px
I'm emigrating to London in July. Anything I should know? Also some questions:
I'm a white male with technology consulting experience in my late 20's - what's the job market like?
What's a hip, central, up and coming suburb with good transport links?
Where's the best 50m pool?
Best healthy, and cheap takeout food (must be both)?
Best and cheapest chain of gyms?
Many thanks, britanons.
>>
File: That's deep, Man.jpg (183KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
That's deep, Man.jpg
183KB, 2592x1944px
>>1243359
The job market is huge and varied, but you'll be up against some stiff competition as London attracts applicants from all over. If you're qualified and good at your work, I have confidence you'll find something.
Property prices are Manhattan-Tier anywhere central, I.e. absolutely astronomical. It gets a bit cheaper as you go East, Walthamstow is seemingly the latest place on the up. Don't bother going south of the river for accommodation, that way only madness lies...
Transport For London (TFL) is a source of great pisstaking, but with a Bus/Train/Tube combo you can get anywhere, and there's more black cabs and Uber drivers than you can shake a stick at.
The only time I've been to a gym was to deliver a TV, so I wouldn't like to comment on where you might go.
Despite what you'll have heard, British food isn't terrible any more, simply because we've stolen everyone else's. Consequently, whatever you already like, you'll find it somewhere.
There's pools all over the place, but for a real swimming community and the chance to meet some people, try Tooting Bec Lido in Hades/South London or even have a dip in The Serpentine.
Be fully prepared to initially hate the place for being cold, wet, full of pollution, and unfriendly people, it's a properly large city whose multitude of charms can take a while to reveal themselves. Persevere and you'll find it worthwhile.
>>
>>1243359
>I'm emigrating to London in July. Anything I should know?
It's a bad choice, I would choose some other city.

I live in London since 6 years, hate every day I am here.
>m a white male with technology consulting experience in my late 20's - what's the job market like?
Easy to find a job, you will think you earn a lot of money, but within 2 month realize that anything below 100k per yer is too low
>What's a hip, central, up and coming suburb with good transport links?
Nothing you can afford.
>Where's the best 50m pool?
There isn't one. All are swarmed by waves of people. You will soon realize which ones.
>Best healthy, and cheap takeout food (must be both)?
Food in London is universally bad, extremely expensive and unhealthy.
>>
>>1243372
>rd, British food isn't terrible any more

Buahahahahahahaha.
>>
>>1243372
> multitude of charms can take a while to reveal themselves. Persevere and you'll find it worthwhile.

What charms ? Being stabbed ? Stepping into shit ? Smelling of fumes after traveling on Bakerloo ? Seeing vomit on the street everyday ?
>>
>>1243382
Sounds like Paris
>>
>>1243378
Gosh OP, this seems pretty realistic. And, you could sub the same thing for any of the other expensive world cities, DC, San Francisco, Paris, New York, Helsinki....it takes 100K+/yr money to be happy in them and get above the riffraff classes. There will always be immigrants that don't mind living with 15 people in a single room who will do your job for less money than they can pay you. London is considered quite expensive. At least the US has inexpensive foods.
>>
File: 1473432530839-fit.jpg (36KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1473432530839-fit.jpg
36KB, 500x334px
>>1243372
Thanks for this insightful and structured post. I'll be sure to check out your recommendations.
>>1243378
This is scary as hell, but I've visited the city before and know enough to realise that you're just jaded. Saying that 100k is too low seems objectively ridiculous. >>1243388
Thanks. Seems to be a lot of hate for immigrants in the negative posts in this thread. Not sure if baiting, if true, or if people really are as xenophobic as the media wants them to be.
>>
>>1243507
>Not sure if baiting, if true, or if people really are as xenophobic as the media wants them to be.
It's 4chan. Immigrants steal our waifus and devalue our good boy points.
>>
>>1243515
> mmigrants steal our waifus and devalue our good boy points.
No, just they literally take shit on the street, and wash their sneakers from mud in showers at public swimming pool
>>1243507
>This is scary as hell, but I've visited the city before and know enough to realise that you're just jaded. Saying that 100k is too low seems objectively ridiculous.

Poll from London Evening Standard among Londoners last year showed that people were satisfied from their earnings when they started to go above 140k per year.
>>
File: london-reality-1-55d2ecae6dde3.jpg (76KB, 839x630px) Image search: [Google]
london-reality-1-55d2ecae6dde3.jpg
76KB, 839x630px
>>1243507
>Saying that 100k is too low seems objectively ridiculous.
Oh, you poor soul.You have no idea, do you ?

http://www.cityam.com/222532/four-habits-happiest-londoners-perfect-salary-commute-time-hours-sleep-and-morning-alarm-time

Londoners may be accused of being a miserable bunch (and tourists standing on the wrong side of the escalator are often blamed), but there are a few things that will perk us right up.

Surprisingly, getting up at 5am is one of them. Or that's according to findings of research into the habits of 12,000 Londoners by Time Out for its annual City Living Survey, anyway...

Getting a rather ambitious 9.5 hours of sleep every night, earning an even more ambitious £120,000 salary, and enjoying a short and sweet 20-minute commute are the other secrets of the happiest people in the city.
>>
File: 1477544246202-fit.jpg (122KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1477544246202-fit.jpg
122KB, 640x640px
>>1243533
>A news article tells me what I need to be happy

Comparison is the thief of joy, my friends.

I should add that I'm moving for the adventure, not for the money. Should I find that London is shit, I'll try Scotland or Ireland, then move on to the Nordics. If all else fails and I can't find a decent job in 4 to 6 months, I plan on coming home.
>>
>>1243533
Why would the ideal be to get up earlier?
>>
>>1243378
London is expensive but also home to some of the best restaurants in the world. There are plenty of good eateries you dumb fuck.

>>1243382
These are things you would experience in almost any big city, probably excluding Tokyo.

>>1243507
Half of London is comprised of immigrants, you won't be ostracized for being one.
Yeah you can live in London for less than a £100,000 but you could easily spend way more depending on area and spending habits.
>>
>>1243571
>>These are things you would experience in almost any big city
Not really.Maybe in the West amd Third World.Warsaw, Prague, Krakow look like European cities,not like Middle East/African colonies
>>
>>1243571
>There are plenty of good eateries you dumb fuck.
This is debatable. I just came back from a week long stay in Central London. I found everything to be too rich and everything is fat/butter laden and geared towards warming you up. To be honest, my palate is spoiled from living in Los Angeles the past few decades.

All the fusion shit too was mediocre and just a poor way of trying to replicate the original cuisine (slices of kimchi on a burger makes it Korean, really?). Pastys and other pies and shit are just incredibly well done Hot Pockets.
>>
>>1243533
>alarm goes off at 5 am
>ideal to be happy
mfw
>>
>>1243625

Couple that with 9.5 hours sleep and they're going to bed at 19:30.
>>
>>1243507
The Immigrant cultural integration method in the uk is pretty effective, meaning that you're unlikely to encounter anyone particularly bad.
Also, the social access level (like how willing people are to speak to or interact with other people) is reallllllly high so you're very unlikely to be spoken to at any point and therefore unlikely to be mugged, yelled at, harassed etc.
It's good shit
>>
>>1243612
>stayed in London a week
>expert on everything in London
>yank

Can't make this shit up
>>
>>1243739
KEK. Is this a joke? You get abuse, tension and fights all the time in London. Also knife crime is epidemic.
>>
>>1243571
>London is expensive but also home to some of the best restaurants in the world. There are plenty of good eateries you dumb fuck.

Yes because you are going to eat in Michelin restaurants daily when you are in London, right?
Gtfo, you obviously don't live here,otherwise you would know how shitty this place is.
>>
>>1243743
better than france where they stuck migrants in concrete slums et laissez a faire. not gonna disagree about knife crime though.

>>1243745
m8 there are plenty of places to eat that are good at a decent price point. you can't really be saying that it's all michelin stars or chicken corner.

>>1243586
-pollution
-litter/shit/vomit on street
-crime
These are all problems any city faces. Certain cities are better at dealing with them; like Singapore. But don't try and say Warsaw doesn't suffer from pollution.
>>
>>1243743
Just be a handsome white bloke, never ran into any issues ever :)
>>
>>1243378

>Food in London is universally bad, extremely expensive and unhealthy.

Nah m8, there are loads of decent restaurants in London

Spot on about everything else, though
>>
File: 1464187717733-ana.jpg (33KB, 338x310px) Image search: [Google]
1464187717733-ana.jpg
33KB, 338x310px
Bumo for more insight, particularly regarding good suburbs
>>
File: 1474756961810-fit.png (70KB, 208x193px) Image search: [Google]
1474756961810-fit.png
70KB, 208x193px
>>1244134
>*Bump, typo
>>
>>1244134
A good suburb is almost any that has both somewhere you can afford to live and also has a reasonable commute to where you have to work.

Commuting by car in London itself is very rarely practical and even though the public transport system is good it is easy to spend a significant portion of your non-working day getting to and from work. So transport routes and willingness to waste time on the journey tend to dictate where it is sensible to live.
>>
File: 1473558861482-fit.png (493KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473558861482-fit.png
493KB, 1920x1080px
>>1244348
Thanks Anon, I appreciate your answer. This makes a lot of sense - I think I'll get a job first, then move somewhere within walking distance.
>>
File: lads.jpg (486KB, 1000x699px) Image search: [Google]
lads.jpg
486KB, 1000x699px
>>1243739

>Immigrant cultural integration method in the uk is pretty effective

YOU FUCKING WHAT?
>>
>>1245966
Mate, you gotta be sheltered if you don't think it is.
And that's not that it turns everyone 'british', what it does is allow everyone to be their own Shitty culture all at once while still being a productive city.
>>
>>1245967

No, I'm just fucking English and live in England you dumb cunt, i've seen what's happened to our societies since as recent as 2004.
>>
>>1247023
Ok, I live in London and I'm talking specifically about London. I should have been clearer but the integration method is still very effective.
And what are you trying to say?
>>
>>1247023
It's society anon.
>>
>>1247170
Normie moderate on our travel board. I'd Ree if I cared but it's /trv/
>>
>>1247220
he's talk about all his European, Arab, and Latino brothers. We're all victims of the Jew. We may fight in close quarters because the Jew wants it. But, were we all to remain in our lands we'd all be better off and working together.
>>
>>1247221
Ok, so you're a brainlet who can't form a coherent point? Is that what you're trying to say?
>>
>>1247222
Mental case detected.
I hate London because it fucking sucks there but that's not because of forigeners.
>>
American here that will be in London for a month starting mid-July for work. Can anyone recommend some must-see places aside from the obvious ones? Any great clubs/bars anyone can recommend?
>>
>>1247490
Camden town is nice, has a dark Victorian feel to it and some cool pubs and bars.

The British Museum is a must. Other than that, just explore mate, you'll usually find some cools places even down little side alleys. Just watch out for negroes.
>>
>>1247220

>Delibrately ruin a society and turn it into a violent third-world shithole for no reason

>erm, yeah, but, like, it's societee!

Tosspot.
>>
I lived in central London for 3 months. Started out really disliking it but it grew on me everyday. A bit like what this anon said.

>it's a properly large city whose multitude of charms can take a while to reveal themselves. Persevere and you'll find it worthwhile.

I've also found it can be a very social place, at least at night. though I'm comparing it to my much smaller hometown.
>>
>>1247504
Thanks for the recommendation. Are the non-whites there really that bad? Also, anyone got any kind of tips as far as how to dress when going out so as to not look like too much of a tourist?
>>
I'm an English guy who moved to London about four months ago, will probably be here for a few years. I don't really like London much, but I'll try to answer the questions with as little bias as possible.

>What's the job market like?
Apparently under threat because of Brexit, but that hasn't really materialised yet, still lots of jobs. Not sure for tech consulting specifically, you'll have to search some jobs websites to understand that.

>What's a hip, central, up and coming suburb with good transport links?
Not sure what you want exactly, because if it's central then it's not really a suburb. Areas like Shoreditch and Camden Town are known for being very hip, but they are also very expensive (as is everywhere in London really). Slightly cheaper are areas like Brixton and Peckham. Areas that don't have that reputation yet but are seen as up-and-coming are places like Wapping and Camberwell. If you like a more relaxed village-type feel then places like Greenwich and Dulwich might be more suitable for you. All depends what exactly you're looking for and what your budget is. Unless you earn more than £35k, I'd imagine you'll be sharing a flat regardless.

For transport, everywhere is pretty well connected by the underground and by buses. I think it's a bit expensive for public transport, but there's no denying it's efficient. It's pretty easy to get anywhere in London once you get used to the transport system.

>Where's the best 50m pool?
No idea, there's probably hundreds in London. Google search will be more use.

>Best healthy, and cheap takeout food (must be both)?
Not sure, but one of the good things about London (in some respects) is that pretty much every culture in the world is represented here, and that means there's a huge variety in food. It depends what you like, but Deliveroo/Uber Eats can deliver you the food when you find somewhere you like. Not sure how cheap it'll be though, personally I cook all my own food because it's too expensive otherwise.
>>
>>1248396
>Best and cheapest chain of gyms?
The ones I see advertised quite a lot are The Gym and FitnessFirst, which I think are both about £20 per month, which is a pretty good price. No idea if they're any good though.

>>1248214
>Are non-whites there really that bad?
I'd be lying if I said that I'm not on extra guard around non-whites, but it's really just like any other big city, and most of them are absolutely fine. There are certain areas you'll learn to avoid, especially at night, but otherwise you don't really have much to worry about.
>>
>>1245967
It's only on fire sometimes but it still makes money so it's a great city! Yeah i was there a week and saw paki gangs racially abusing people in the street and spitting on them on 3 occasions.
>>
London is an absolutely shithole.
Do yourself a favor and avoid this cancer.
I live here and it is a punishment.
>>
>>1248396
>>1248398

Not the dude that asked but in every answer except the one about the nogs you said

>no idea
or
>not sure

Why the FUCK would you qualify yourself to provide advice, only to leave the person in about the same amount of doubt they began with?
>>
>>1248655
Just trying to highlight why some of OP's questions need further clarification before anyone can be any of real help. Does he want to live in the centre or in a suburb? What sort of things does he like in a neighbourhood? What sort of food does he like? Other questions are unlikely to be answered here - realistically, how many people have done a tour of all of the 50m pools in London and can suggest which is the best? Has anyone tried all of the places you can buy prepared food in London (more than ten thousand) and can give a reasoned answer here? Just trying to let him know he needs to be a bit more specific with his questions.
>>
I've lived and worked in London my entire life (bar a few years for travel/university), and I think its pretty clear to me that its one of the best in the world. It has literally everything you could want:

>culture
incredible museums and galleries

>sport
football, rugby, cricket, NBA, NFL

>food
It has the 7th most Michelin stars in the world. You can find genuinely any cuisine in the world in London, at a good standard. This is thanks to London's large immigrant population.

>jobs
London is only rivaled by NY for finance, it has the best Insurance market in the world, hundreds of global firms are located here

>equality
Genuinely the most open place I have been, whether that is on matters of race, sexuality etc. I have never seen/experienced discrimination in London

I can only see two major issues:

>weather
If you care about the weather you will not like London

>house prices
They are ridiculous - but just shows how strong the demand is to live in London, because it is so great.
>>
>>1243359
If you want to live somewhere with good transport links and isn't to expensive, Most suburbs in the south east of London will do. Try Northern Bromley
>>
>>1245966
It's a shill, dude.
>>
>>1250076
Ignore this trolling shill.

Food in London is absolute shit tier due to poor products and basically places not caring about quality as there are millions of more idiots who will eat anyway because they have to.It's overpriced, oversalted, and generally fat.

You won't be eating every day at Michelin restaurants.

The tube is overcrowded, old and dirty. You will be packed like sardine in a can smelling urine, vomit and old people plus farts with spices ranging from North Asia to India. Inhale and enjoy your trip!

Maybe you want to take a bus ? Enjoy inhaling fumes and being stuck in a traffic for 4 hours.

Yes you will see museums and galleries. In the first month or two. Congratulations, you decided to move to a shitty hellhole instead of just going on a sight seeing trip.

If you aren't British from upper class you will face contempt and ridicule(known as banter). If you are from Eastern Europe you will face discrimination and racism not seen in Europe since half a century.

Jobs ? Sure there are plenty of shitty jobs. None of which will allow you to earn enough money to live in anything semi-decent.

AVOID LONDON
>>
What's a good hostel in London?

Is the Astor Museum Hostel good?
https://astorhostels.com/hostels/museum/
>>
>>1251788
Ignore this trolling retard

Food in London is fine. Plenty of choice from top to bottom, but generally on the pricier side. Agreed you won't be eating at M*'s everyday but you'll be able to find good stuff almost everywhere.

Tube statement is mostly true. For crowding avoid Jubilee (especially closer to Canary Wharf), Northern and Central lines. Coming in from the ends of the Overground or DLR is great as they're mostly overground, newer, cleaner and have aircon and almost guaranteed seats.

London is an incredible place for anyone who doesn't masturbate 8 times a day and drool down their shirt like this fella. And even if you do then we do have areas with 1 Gigabit fibre so you can browse 4chan at hyperspeed.

>If you aren't British from upper class you will face contempt and ridicule(known as banter). If you are from Eastern Europe you will face discrimination and racism not seen in Europe since half a century.
Ignore that whole statement entirely

Job market is super active but competitive, if you're good you'll earn good money. If you're not and you have a degree and a bit of retail experience you can probably get a solidly paying management level job somewhere with relative ease.

If you have any other questions let me know! In my mid 20's, lived here for 5 years now in various places (Clapham - South-west, Woolwich - East
and Northolt - West)
>>
>>1251821
Not the guy you're replying to, but isn't London infested of shitskins?
>>
>>1243739
I agree, I was really impressed by how Asian (Muslim) gangs in Roterham sexually abused around 1400 young white girls. They are a great addition to UK culture, really enriching.
>>
>>1243378
yh, everything in this is true in central london apart from the food, also full of rude cunts, though there are some nice places in the south east of london (where i grew up), But also some royal shit holes.
>>
>>1251824
I'm gonna disregard the shitskins comment.

Racial demographic vary area to area. Generally the more central you are the whiter it is. Clapham was a fantastic place to live, great food and nightlife, nice vibe. Mostly white, late twenties.
Woolwich (town center, not north of the main road in the new developments) was mostly african. General atmosphere wasn't great at night but never had an issue in my time living there and doing the occasional 2am shop/takeaway trip.

Northolt is pretty residential, a bit dead. Demographic mostly lower class white and varying class indian/pakistani etc. This is the scummiest place I've lived but, mainly because of the white guys here.

In general, I've seen more white people acting like idiots and causing issues/harassing people than any other race, and I'm talking like 95% of shit I've seen.

If brown people are a concern of yours then avoid most areas of east London and Ealing in west London and surrounding areas. You'll be fine visiting Clapham, Oxford Street/Regent Street, Covent Garden, Westfeild White City (But not Whit City ironically...), Shoreditch/Hoxton and most of the touristy areas.

Personally I love the diversity. If you have issues with people of colour you should come and and try to reassess. I moved from an incredibly white town in the south-west and this place was culture shock to me, but I thought it was amazing. Two the best friends I have and probably will ever have in my life are Sikh and Caribbean.
>>
>>1251821
Replying to myself here. I will say one thing:
I feel the weight of the housing market crushing my soul every day. I crave owning a place of my own, but London is not the place for it unless you're on a big boy salary (If you're buying by yourself then I'd say £60-70K per year at least). I'd love to live here though: endless supply of stuff to do, incredible internet if you find the right area, and my friends all live and work locally.
>>
>>1243372
>Don't bother going south of the river for accommodation, that way only madness lies.
I grew up in south london and can say this guy is full of [spoiler] truth [/spoiler]
>>
>>1250076

Cocksucking immigrant detected. Gtfo
>>
The only people praising London are third world immigrants for whom it is an improvement from the warzone hellhole they came from, and posh cunts who never go out of their luxury pads in Knightsbridge and vegan milk brunch cafe's in Shorditch
>>
>>1251843
>. Two the best friends I have and probably will ever have in my life are Sikh and Caribbean.

Racism in UK is direct towards Poles and Eastern Europeans. Not towards black people or Sikhs.
Thus it is quite fashionable for hipsters and other ilk to have "minority friends" for virtue signalling. You will rarely find them having Polish friends though as that would be socially awkward.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.