[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weird international foods only available overseas that only you like.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_4213.jpg (40KB, 576x376px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4213.jpg
40KB, 576x376px
Pic related, its Durian and Sticky rice. Mainly found only in Thailand, these are not as popular as mango and sticky rice due to Durian being an acquired taste. Durian is the only thing that made that fatass from the Travel Channel throw up and he fucking swallowed donkey jizz.
>>
>>1243099
I don't get how anyone could find durian that disgusting. I guess I understand if you just don't really like it, but I'm not tasting anything that seems as bad as people say. I always thought people liked different tastes but all kind of had the same experience of what the thing is, but this makes me wonder if people are just tasting totally different flavors than I am.
>>
Durian is actually very good in small portions if mixed with something else, like rice, steamed rice cake, condensed milk, coconut pulp etc.

It's a very strange fruit indeed

>Mainly found only in Thailand
>Not Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines where the name originates from
REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1243114
This is just me, but durian smells like a used diaper mixed with gasoline. This is already offputting as is.

The taste, I find that it isn't too bad. It tastes like banana, custard, and garlic.
>>
>>1243135
To me it tastes pretty much like you say it tastes: banana, custard, some mango, and a little bit of onion and garlic. It smells the exact same to me though, and I don't mind it at all. Can be a bit overwhelming in a small room, but that's more about how strong it smells rather than the actual smell. Personally I love the taste, texture is amazing too. Maybe some people taste the oniony part more, but I've heard people say it tastes and smells like sweat or literal feces, which I don't get at all.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (117KB, 1799x1192px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
117KB, 1799x1192px
>>1243135
OP here, it smells like a landfill. But the taste is pretty good, very hard to describe. It's like balut, people say its disgusting but to me it just taste like really proteiny eggs.

I've seen white people literally throw up just looking at pic related though...
>>
File: 1292201262762.png (63KB, 820x826px) Image search: [Google]
1292201262762.png
63KB, 820x826px
>>1243245
Speaking of white people, I got a weird one.

My friend's grandfather got remarried to a Chinese woman. So my friend's new step-granny made him a bunch of sun-dried beef. It smelled absolutely vile. I know that "it smells like sweaty gym socks" is a very common hyperbole, but in this case, it was almost literal.

Him and all my other white friends ate it no problem. They didn't even mind the smell. I reluctantly tried a piece, and I think I had enough sodium intake to last me the whole week.

My friend kept saying "You're the one who's actually Asian, how can you possibly dislike this?"

Well, I think I discovered the reason why so many Asians hate each other.
>>
>>1243248
The flips thinks Durian is disgusting, and I think fucking Balut is disgusting.
>>
If people think Durian and other asian food is disgusting explain to them how cheese is made. You should prefer a fruit over rotten milk, shouldn't you.
>>
>>1243099
I live in S. Florida. I have had durian my whole life. It grows here. It, along with a few other tropical fruits are really not that good as a comparative to other fruit. There's a cherimoya, custard apple, mamoncillo, Jabuticaba, ackee, dragonfruit, jackfruit, surinam cherry, and others which are just kind of crap inferior foods, some even taste starchy and uncooked, that people have tried to use in native dishes, or only for jams and jellies do they work, but bleh.
Then, there are heavenly fruits like lychee, mango, which have good commercial success for markets, to citruses of every type from ponderosa lemon to calamondin you only get in your own yard, starfruit which must be ripe from the tree..and yea, you realize why durian doesn't replace watermelon as everyone's best thing ever....because it's not really that good.
>>
>>1243099
I can buy Durian in Atlanta at the Buford Highway Farmers. No mangosteens or longans, though
>>
>>1243374
When white people do something gross for a while its not bad, but when any other race does it, its bad until white people figure out how to make money off it to other whites. Look at alcohol and the drug war
>>
Durian does smell unpleasant, but people overexaggerate and conflate its smell and taste. Similar to the way that the West discusses durian, Chinese people, for example, have a similar experience with ripe cheese––a view that the West would mostly find "odd."

>>1243253
>The flips thinks Durian is disgusting
Their affinity to balut aside, that's because Filipinos constantly vacillate between Filipino, Western (i.e. American or White), and [East] Asian identities; one minute they're Filipino, and the next minute they're Western, [East] Asian, both, all three, or some confusing 53%/34%/13% mixture of the three... i.e. whatever is convenient to their indecisive world view.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (427KB, 2359x1599px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
427KB, 2359x1599px
>>1243245
Is that Mochi?
>>
>>1243425
No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangyuan_(food)
>>
>>1243374
>>1243404
White people:
>I can't believe these slant-eyed savages, they eat cats and dogs!

Also white people:
>them rabbits is good eatin'
>bruh, if you want to be one of us, you gotta swallow this live goldfish
>sweetie, you got the gerbil and the tube ready?
>>
>>1243374
>>1243408
I'm Asian but I've never had a problem with cheese. Neither does my family, nor any other Asians I've met.

Now, I'm not trying to deny that Asians dislike cheese, but I find it incredibly strange that for such a common saying, I have yet to see any real accounts of it.
>>
It's the smell that gets to people. Durian is also found a lot in Southern Taiwan. I see it in stores a lot but never see anyone buying it, other than my ex gf grandmother.
>>
File: ty3.jpg (72KB, 600x447px) Image search: [Google]
ty3.jpg
72KB, 600x447px
>>1243430
Well same material its made out of gluten and rice. Except its more spicy what with the ginger soup. It's quite delicious especially on cold days.
>>
File: 1.jpg (91KB, 690x510px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
91KB, 690x510px
I highly doubt any westerners here knows what this shit is. Even if they do they bitch and moan about how its cruelty to animals.
>>
>>1243487
>I highly doubt any westerners here knows what this shit is.
Why would you doubt that at all? What place of the world do you come from that you judge others so wrongly?
>>
>>1243487
Kujira desu-ka?
>>
Well, everything you find in Italy is something you can find ONLY in Italy, if that counts.
>>
>>1243493
Do you even know what the picture I posted represent? You don't even know if that's beef or pork, or what type of meat that is. I would shut up before accusing me of being judgemental especially when you have no idea what food that is. I went to Japan, and even the locals don't know what it is...
>>
>>1243504
Dog or cat
>>
>>1243513
Google reverse image search says that it's Kobe beef.

Cows raised for Kobe beef are actually some of the most well-treated livestock in Japan.
>>
>>1243518
This, its hilarious that some white faggots doesn't even know how about different types of steaks.
>>
>>1243518
I've eaten Kobe beef twice and never been in Japan. Maybe it was not the real original Kobe, but it tasted very good
>>
>>1243522
calm down weaboo cuck
>>
>>1243524
Kobe beef has a lot to do with the treatment of the cow.

You could probably make locally sourced Kobe beef by treating your cows nicer. Seriously, Kobe cows get massages and even drink beer. No reason why you can't do that outside of Japan.
>>
>>1243099
Vancouver is full of sticky rice and cat pee smelling Durian.

I grew up since birth with a ton of asians, pajeets, russians and persians so pretty much no food is alien to me even insects as chineez eat them here.

I guess I haven't had Dog Kebab or Camel meat
>>
>>1243584
Fellow British Columbian here.

If you're not joking about eating insects, do you actually have any restaurants you can recommend? I've always been the curious type, and I generally like to try most things once.
>>
>>1243524
Its very doubtful you ate Kobe unless you paid $100+. A5 Japanese beef isnt really worth that much, but if you didn't pay that outside of Japan you most likely got ripped off.
>>
I actually like haggis. I ate it all the time in Scotland.
>>
>>1243730
I've never had it, but I don't see what there is to hate. It's effectively a much larger traditional sausage once you get through the fact that it looks weird.
>>
>>1243135
>This is just me, but durian smells like a used diaper mixed with gasoline.

This is not, in fact, just you.
>>
>>1243487
Looks like whale.
>>
File: IMG-20160318-WA0000.jpg (101KB, 1040x585px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160318-WA0000.jpg
101KB, 1040x585px
>>1243116
Because Thais cultivates them like crazy
And you CAN find them in Indonesia, especially in Borneo where local ones doesn't stink as bad (if at all) and the texture and flavour is MUCH better than Thai overcultivated shit
Have to wait until in season for the local ones though

t. Indonesian
>>
>>1243866
The spices really make it. It's great stuff
>>
>>1243965
I've read & heard various different descriptions of how it's supposed to smell, so I figured it depended on variety, freshness, season, etc.

But if I'm not the only one, then I guess I'm on the mark.
>>
File: 1432577124225.png (111KB, 300x333px) Image search: [Google]
1432577124225.png
111KB, 300x333px
>>1243248
>Guess what, we kicked Mongol, Japan, France, the US, China, and your ass
>Mongols were defeated by Champa
>defeat Japan???
>France doesn't need explanation on why they got kicked out
>le US got beaten by Vietnam meme
>both China and Vietnam got rekt in ricegook war

This image is made by a Vietnamese shill
>>
>>1243099
Sausage biscuits for breakfast.

They're deliciousx since other Western countries are so much like the US culturally it's easy to forget that somethings that are common in America are still absent over there.

Asians seem genuinely confused by the concept of maple syrup.
>>
dog meat
>>
File: Mote_con_huesillo.jpg (4MB, 3563x3002px) Image search: [Google]
Mote_con_huesillo.jpg
4MB, 3563x3002px
This beauty
>>
>>1243430
Really? Because this is delicious as fuck.
>>
>>1243099
I know it's not really weird cultural food, but good German is super fucking hard to come by where I live, we have one restaurant and it sucks ass, the next closest restaurant is a couple hundred miles

Also Russian is pretty good imo, and I'm pretty sure there's like a total of 5 Russian restaurants in the US
>>
>>1246457
lol that was mediocre imo

also you can get Durian in USA, in Pia Cakes or in Asian markets. I find it to be pretty gross. I bought some then threw it in the trash.
>>
>>1243504
It's a boneless ny strip dude, well marbled, and likely kobe or wagyu.

Again, wtf did you think people wouldn't know what a top 3 well known common cut of steak looks like?
>>
>>1246616
>Also Russian is pretty good imo, and I'm pretty sure there's like a total of 5 Russian restaurants in the US
I dunno about that. Ukraine monied people in the US are pretty common. You can find about 15 restaurants on Miami Beach alone. Even more businesses if you add in bakeries, groceries, and specialty food stores. I live near Sarasota, and my small town is 30% ukrainian descent peoples. When I lived in D.C. I'm sure there was a good 15 restaurants as well.

Would I classify it as "pretty good"? Not really. It's usually some take on the tea room and caviar menu, preserved fishes of some fashion, great mushrooms, and only a good handful of dishes that aren't simply continental recipes. I'll take german, czech, polish, hungarian, etc any day over it. Dumplings, soups, love all that. The rest, ehh.

What I can't live without is good Cuban food restaurants. They are few and far between of great quality outside of S. Florida. Even better is Floribbean fusion food, where you merge colombian and add in more tropical fruits and ripe avocado in there. Bandeja Paisa is the best :P
>>
red banana and stick rice steamed in a banana leaf. had it in Cambodia a few times

simple, tasty, clean, pretty healthy. i don't rally crave it but it's a good snack
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.