[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About moving to Czech Republic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

I've been offered a job in Prague, salary of 37500 CZK before taxes, is that enough to live well? I would like to rent a small studio if possible, but don't mind sharing an appartment, and I don't smoke or have expensive hobbies.

Also, any trustworthy pages or agencies for renting? I'm not renting without seeing the place first, but I'd like to have some appointments when I arrive. Plus, don't want to be charged the "foreigner" fee.

Finally, any tips? Taxes, doctors, bureaucracy, areas to avoid...? I've been there before as a tourist and loved the city, looking forward to experience what is it like living there.
>>
Look at numbeo.com to get a sense of the cost of living.
>>
>>1243142
Looks like a good salary to me, but I read different things about taxes, from a 15% to a 40% deduction for that salary. That changes things.
>>
Czech here living and working in Prague.
37500 is a bit above average salary in Prague. Not great but many people would be happy for it.
For several last years there were major legislative issues with building new stuff in Prague so prices of flats and subsequently the prices of rents went high.
It really depends where your studio would be located. Prices range from 10k to 30k just for Most desirable parts to live in are Vinohrady, Letná, Dejvice, Nové Město and Vršovice. Vinohrady is really nice place but prices are high unless you are lucky or live in a house before reconstruction (you can find those). Letná and Vinohrady are the most "hip and cool" places here.
There are no bad palces you should avoid. Prague in general is really safe city esepcially compared to places like London, Paris or Rome. There are no ghettos, worst thing could meet would be few gypsies. That said there is a crime of course but mostly not violent. If I was to tell one quarter you should not visit it would be Libeň, but even there is nothing to fear really.

https://www.sreality.cz/en/search/to-rent/apartments

This is the most used webpage for selling/renting houses and flats. There are others but this one is trusthworthy and in english as well. That doesn't mean you couldn't be scammed sadly.

Living in Prague is really comfortable. We have great and cheap public transport, if you like riding a bike it is a bit complicated but situation is getting better. Younger generation (15-30) speaks english although some of them only on a basic level. We have free education (even university) and free healthcare. Healthcare is on sufficient level even when compared to western Europe. Taxes are high, not Denmark high but certainly higher than in UK for example.
We have same prices of elcetronics as are in the western countries wich makes it overpriced compared to our salaries. But it's not a big deal.
>>
>>1243950
cont.

Czechs are usually friendly but it takes us time to "break the ice". Don't expect warm welcome and fake smiles and people acting like you are their best friend. But when you make friends they won't turn backs on you. Usually.

Fair warning: We don't like "brown and black" people. We are not used to see them and they can have a hard time here. Especially going to countryside. Nobody would attack you but people there will probably be unfriendly. That said, we have no problem with asians and there even is a large Vietnamese community living here.
We don't like people talking about politics or religion in public so stay away from these topics unless you are directly asked about them.

I hope I was able to help you.
Have a nice stay.
>>
>>1243955
This was extremely helpful, thank you =) Yeah, taxes seemed a bit high to me, but not crazy high. I'll stay clear of Vinohrady when looking for a flat then. I've heard that living in the outskirts may be worth it since public transport is top notch and the city is not that big either. Thanks for the link as well, I'll start searching tomorrow morning.

The language barrier is always a bit worrying (I had no problems when visiting the city center, buy I imagine the rest of the city will be another story). My company offers language curses tho, so I'll try my best to become somewhat fluent in Czech quickly. Not only learning the language makes everyday life easier, it is also a sign of respect for your new home.

Thanks for the warning, I am very pale but people will definitely realize I'm a foreigner with just looking at me. I don't think it will be a problem, to be honest. Prague in general felt very safe when I was there.

Cheers!
>>
>>1244036
Glad to help you. I'm not sure if you'll read this but just to be clear Vinohrady is the place you WANT to live in. Sorry for my english. I might have said it in a wrong way.
Learning czech is really hard and people here know it. Especially if you are not slavic wich I presume you are not. So don't worry about it too much.
>>
>>1244284
Ah! Vinohrady it is then. And yeah, Czech is going to be a challenge for sure.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.