[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Iceland

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: blue-lagoon-t.jpg (622KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
blue-lagoon-t.jpg
622KB, 2048x1536px
Hey /trv/, I'm going to Iceland on my own next month. I'm just in Reykjavik for a few days, not planning on hiring a car. What can I see and do outide the Blue Lagoon/Golden Circle/Whale-watching stuff? What should I avoid? Any cheapish places to eat and drink or am I gonna get raped pricewise?
>>
>>1242807
_Blue Lagoon (well no time limit here, but you could really laze it into 5+ hours if you take a nap on the 2nd floor in one of those comfy chairs and go out for a second lap or steam, or book ahead the massage, or even a lunch, pack your conditioner and your crocs)
_Golden Circle is 1/2 day bus tour, longer if you drive yourself and linger at the geysirs for a bite to eat
_Whale watching may or may not happen, will depend on the weather, but within Reykjavik, you can walk up and down Laugavegur, to the cathedral tower, enjoy an evening dining, but watch out the food and alcohol, especially, is expensive, so might wanna grab some duty free to pre-drink in your hotel room. You can walk down to the opera house. There's a volcano museum with film. Islenska (icelandic bar) has a good menu to sample the oddities and best of iceland both, at a reasonable all at once price.
https://grapevine.is/culture/food/review/2014/06/04/to-be-or-not-to-be-icelandic/
That magazine grapevine is a good source to check for your dates of travel to find something to do, like live music.
>>
Get a car friend. You'll have so many more opportunities. I went with 3 other people and we stayed in an air bnb in alftanes. Having a car was nice because we could drive to reykjavik, drive the golden circle and took a 600 mile round trip to see the moss fields and stopped at volcanos, towns, and waterfalls we saw along the way. Get a car if you have the money. Plus, bus tours don't give you the desired freedom.
>>
>>1243393
also, we didn't go to the blue lagoon to save money, but we did go to the secret lagoon. ive heard the blue is better but it is crowded if you go in the on-season. one of the best experiences was going to the hot pools at the local ymca/athletic/bath house. Super relaxing and we even talked with some of the locals.

I also recommend researching if you are going to buy a lopapeysa because some people sell fakes made in china that are inspected here and make a tag that says made in iceland. also, food in the city can be expensive or a long wait so be ready.
>>
>>1242807
skip the blue lagoon, it's not worth it at all, it's just hot water from a power plant, overly expensive and boring
>>
OP here, not planning on car hire because I'm only there 3 nights so there should be enough to occupy me in and around the city, I get bored if I'm away more than about 5 days. This is basically a reconnaissance mission, if I like it I'll go back and do it properly.
>>
Can I buy some food at a supermarket relatively cheaply instead of eating out for every meal? I'm staying in an apartment with a kitchenette.
>>
I like apartment hotels for the freedom they offer. However is it worth staying in a same price hotel for the included breakfast as food is so expensive in Iceland?
>>
I'm thinking of going in November

What are some good places to visit, hotels, food, tours, etc

Is November a good time to go? I hear they close the roads during the winter to the glaciers and whatnot

Looking for the best experiences at the lowest cost :)

Thank you
>>
>>1243503
yes. Bonus and Kronan are the cheapest supermarket chains but the most expensive are the 10-11 stores.
>>
If you don't go to the penis museum, you are gay. Or maybe it's if you DO go, you're gay. It's not clear to me.
>>
>>1243503
Vitabar is a nice place for good and affordable burgers and such
>>
>>1244689
I was there two times in November, it was windy but not that cold, no snow in the city. The Iceland Airwaves festival is in November, don't go if you don't like hipsters.
>>
>>1244719
Everyone in Iceland is bi anyway so it doesn't matter.
>>1242807
If you decide to buy an Icelandic sweater check the thrift shops before you buy one new. I got mine at the Red Cross store for half the price of a new one. Also, hot dogs are your friend. Don't say anything to Bjork if you see her. Go to the flea market by the old harbor. Finally, there's a decently priced burger joint on the main shopping street but I can't remember the name. It kind of looks a bit like a dive bar, but clean.

Be sure to eat Hakarl and smile at everyone because Scandinavian people love when strangers smile at them. Seriously though, Hakarl and Brennivin are pretty fucking decent.
>>
>>1242807
Hey, if you're going to Iceland check the inflight entertainment for the name of a band. I think it's heavier post-rock with an elephant on the cover of the album, but I could be wrong. I listened to it last summer and I can't remember what it was called.
>>
>>1245284
sigur ros?
>>
>>1243393

>Get a car if you have the money. Plus, bus tours don't give you the desired freedom.

I honestly would not recommend doing a bus tour unless you're on a very tight budget OP. Make your travels count.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.